PDA

View Full Version : The Great Benighted Hour

toetoe
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
In Las Vegas, they are already bragging about the Great Turnoff, which will entail turning off all the lights for one hour. This is not an attempt to accomplish anything real. Oh, no --- it's to send a message to the world as to how ignorant we are.

Moron this later.

ArlJim78
02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
In Las Vegas, they are already bragging about the Great Turnoff, which will entail turning off all the lights for one hour. This is not an attempt to accomplish anything real. Oh, no --- it's to send a message to the world as to how ignorant we are.

Moron this later.

Mission Accomplished!

toetoe
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
So anyway, the radio announcement starts off with "our awareness of climate change," moves on to "sustainability," mentions "carbon footprint," and ends with "going green."

Now, how oldfashioned Edison lightbulbs and hydroelectric power change the climate, and how energy will never be sustained until we cut our lifestyle back to spartan, even draconian levels for US, not THEM), I will never understand.

As to carbon footprints, my carbon footprint will be hard to distinguish, as my carbonic combat boot will be doing its imprinting up Al Gore's carboniferous @$$.

I tried going green last night. I even sprayed my contribution with Simple Green. Alas, how brown was my porcelain. :( . So much for striking a blow for the green ... um, movement.

Now, these announcements carry the imprimatur of officialdom, a la Energy Star and the Digital Television crowd, to mention just two sacred frauds, but what is really going on here ? They just throw in these Gore-y buzzwords as quickly as you can say "bobsyeruncle," and voila, we have public policy. It must be great or they couldn't, they WOULDN'T say it, right ? Imagine cities all over the country burning crosses just to draw attention to aborted fetuses, and maybe some more along the border to make a statement about rampant trespassing into our country. Forget that it will never happen; would it ever be appropriate ? I say thee ... um, nah.