PDA

View Full Version : New Condition Book At Aqueduct

samyn on the green
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
PJ Campo Gives Us Real Change (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2009/02/pj-campo-gives-us-real-change.html)

This years Aqueduct condition book is an ever changing beast. Back in the reign of former racing secretary Mike Lakow days you had your stakes, open allowance, claimers, NY breds, Maiden Specials and maiden claimer. While these race conditions were traditional they did not reflect the horse population and the needs to fill racecards. At the very end of Lakow's tenure there were so many short fields of open allowance races with a 1-2 favorite or New York bred allowances filled to the gills. If an owners horse did not fit these conditions that horse was shipping to Philly park for class relief or spending the year with one up the track finish after another.

The current racing secretary PJ Campo (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0CE2DD1030F936A25754C0A9639C8B 63) has been creative and resourceful. Campo has been given a bushel of lemons and has crafted lemonade. Not only did he stop writing races that did not fill but he has introduced many new conditions; non winners of a race in six months or non winners of 4 life time or non winners of three life time or four year old. While there may not be the same amount of classy short field races, the field size and the competitive nature of the racing has improved.

rjorio
02-18-2009, 02:47 PM
PJ has done an admirable job this winter writing conditions for the horse contingency he has to work with. I JUST HOPE THAT WHEN WE RETURN TO BELMONT AND MIGRATE NORTH TO SARATOGA, HE WILL CUT BACK ON THE NUMBER OF TURF SPRINTS CARDED.

BombsAway Bob
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
judging from the full fields in $10k & $7,500 claimers, will the NICKLE Claimer arrive in NYRA Land during the Aqueduct Inner meet? If they don't want to run that cheap a tag, how about those nifty "Beaten Claimers" condition that Turf Paradise writes; "For horses that haven't run first, second, or third during the Turf Paradise (i.e.,Aqueduct inner) meet"..That way they can keep the bottom higher, & still get owners(& jockeys) with slow horses a chance at a check!:cool:

The Hawk
02-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds like they have some top-notch racing there.

CincyHorseplayer
02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
There are rarely unconditioned races in Ohio.

Open claiming races are nearly non existant,as are N1x,N2x,N3x allowance races.

The n1y,n2y for anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to 2 years are the worst bets on the cards and cards are littered with them.

The lifetime claiming races are the most beatable and profitable if you stick to their class profile.But the lifetime allowance races are a joke.

Compared to the Ohio tracks,New York races are great.I nearly always play them and have a a good record/solid scores there.

pandy
02-19-2009, 11:45 PM
PJ has done an admirable job this winter writing conditions for the horse contingency he has to work with. I JUST HOPE THAT WHEN WE RETURN TO BELMONT AND MIGRATE NORTH TO SARATOGA, HE WILL CUT BACK ON THE NUMBER OF TURF SPRINTS CARDED.

I agree on both counts.

Thomas Roulston
02-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Either last winter or the winter before, there actually was one $5k claimer run at Aqueduct - it was at 6f and had a $12,000 purse.

And the lowest maiden claimer has already been cut to $12,500, from $16,000 ($15,000 in NY-bred races only) this winter - so maybe you will see a $5k open claimer pop up in the extras (which is where the last one came from).

Thomas Roulston
02-20-2009, 06:11 AM
judging from the full fields in $10k & $7,500 claimers, will the NICKLE Claimer arrive in NYRA Land during the Aqueduct Inner meet? If they don't want to run that cheap a tag, how about those nifty "Beaten Claimers" condition that Turf Paradise writes; "For horses that haven't run first, second, or third during the Turf Paradise (i.e.,Aqueduct inner) meet"..That way they can keep the bottom higher, & still get owners(& jockeys) with slow horses a chance at a check!:cool:

Actually, TP cannot claim originality here: The long-since-defunct Green Mountain Race Track in Vermont carded such races in 1976, although some were restricted to horses that had not finished first or second, as well as not finished first, second, or third.

As I recall, the exact wording was:

For three-year-olds and upward which have started at Green Mountain Race track since April 22 (the day their meet opened in that year, thoroughbred racing's last at that track) and have not finished first, second or third (or first or second) since April 22 (the condition "... have not won a race since April 22" also existed).

The claiming price was $1,500 - and the purses were $1,300 or $1,350 (and BTW, any horse finishing lower than fourth got the losing jockey mount fee paid out of the purse at Green Mountain, but it was not added to the stated purse, as Turfway does now for horses finishing 10th, 11th or 12th).

hbeck
02-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Something like 5 or 6 of the horses in that 5K claiming race at AQU last winter were claimed out of it.

oddsmaven
02-20-2009, 10:02 AM
..... Not only did he stop writing races that did not fill but he has introduced many new conditions; non winners of a race in six months or non winners of 4 life time or non winners of three life time or four year old. While there may not be the same amount of classy short field races, the field size and the competitive nature of the racing has improved.
I heartily agree with this...I had stepped away from racing for a while and upon returning I was pleased to see the NYRA races were drawn up much better in terms of this bigger variety of class levels, often producing competitive fields.

Thomas Roulston
02-22-2009, 03:45 AM
But how come nothing between a $7.5k claimer and a $10k? $8.5k claimers were common at Aqu in the late '70s-early '80s. Or nothing between $16k and $20k? In the past both $17.5-15.5k and $18-16k have been used.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Does NY, like many states, have a "claiming jail" % price that one must raise a recently claimed horse in order to enter back within 30 days, usually a 25% increase in claim price? Not much use of having a $17,500 claiming race if people are claiming them for $16k and can't run back within a month for under $20k. Likewise a horse claimed for $7,500 at 25% would have to run back for at least $9,375 or more like $10,000 to $9,500 with some weight allowances. I suspect the price race will go up again, as usual, when Belmont starts up again. There are plenty of $7,500 to $10,000 w/good purses on the easter seaboard, esp. w/Philly running and Delaware to reopen, etc, and there is always CT, LRL & PEN for those w/bit lesser purses/competition level.

Check the regular claiming price levels on a circut, some I've checked seem to go up in regular increments, like 25%, to match the claiming jail levels. Some of those odd prices do get thrown in from time to time, but often with restictions (n2l, n3l, n1y, etc.)

misscashalot
02-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Something like 5 or 6 of the horses in that 5K claiming race at AQU last winter were claimed out of it.

Feb 28 2007 5th race