PDA

View Full Version : Hey California, bend over........

JustRalph
02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I just read that California is going to have a 10% sales tax in some counties and this from an article online about the new budget...........

"The budget plan's tax increases would raise the sales tax by 1 cent on the dollar, nearly double the fee motorists pay to register their vehicles, raise the gasoline excise tax by 12 cents a gallon, and cut a tax credit for dependents by $200.

It also includes a surcharge on a person's total state tax bill of either 2.5 percent or 5 percent, depending on how much money the state ends up receiving from the federal stimulus package. (Early indications are that it will be 2.5 percent.) So a person owing $100 in state income taxes would pay an extra $2.50 or $5. The surcharge, as well as the dependent credit reduction, would take effect next year, applying to 2009 taxes.
The new taxes would last at least two years. If voters approve a ballot measure in May to cap state spending, they would expire after four years, or three years in the case of the sales tax. "

Raising the Income tax either 2.5 percent or 5 Percent........ puts most Californians in the 10% tax rate............ Wow! Ten percent sales tax, Ten percent State Income Tax rate..........and we haven't even gotten into the Property taxes yet.............

My wife was offered a job in San Jose this week............ :lol: :lol:

Bubba X
02-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I just read that California is going to have a 10% sales tax in some counties and this from an article online about the new budget...........

"The budget plan's tax increases would raise the sales tax by 1 cent on the dollar, nearly double the fee motorists pay to register their vehicles, raise the gasoline excise tax by 12 cents a gallon, and cut a tax credit for dependents by $200.

It also includes a surcharge on a person's total state tax bill of either 2.5 percent or 5 percent, depending on how much money the state ends up receiving from the federal stimulus package. (Early indications are that it will be 2.5 percent.) So a person owing $100 in state income taxes would pay an extra $2.50 or $5. The surcharge, as well as the dependent credit reduction, would take effect next year, applying to 2009 taxes.
The new taxes would last at least two years. If voters approve a ballot measure in May to cap state spending, they would expire after four years, or three years in the case of the sales tax. "

Raising the Income tax either 2.5 percent or 5 Percent........ puts most Californians in the 10% tax rate............ Wow! Ten percent sales tax, Ten percent State Income Tax rate..........and we haven't even gotten into the Property taxes yet.............

My wife was offered a job in San Jose this week............ :lol: :lol:

:bang: :bang:

No. Read what you wrote. It's a surcharge on the tax payable, not income.

For example, assume income of $100,000, a 5% tax rate and a 2.5% surcharge.

You'd have a state income tax bill of $5,000 and if the surcharge is 2.5%, you owe an additional $250. So, you'd owe $5,250, not $7,500.

ddog
02-17-2009, 05:33 PM
the real problem is that the sales tax and the like revenue are falling off the old cliff and I don't see that turning for a long time.

they like most all other states are going to have to actually govern(make choices) for a change.

that's what they are elected to do , so they may as well get started , sooner the easier.

at least 3 years of this type of issue country wide.

buckle in.

cmoore
02-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I heard Kansas state income tax refunds on hold for now..

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1037212.html

JustRalph
02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
:bang: :bang:

No. Read what you wrote. It's a surcharge on the tax payable, not income.

For example, assume income of $100,000, a 5% tax rate and a 2.5% surcharge.

You'd have a state income tax bill of $5,000 and if the surcharge is 2.5%, you owe an additional $250. So, you'd owe $5,250, not $7,500.

call it what you will.......... more money is flying out of your wallet.......... at unprecedented rates............. :bang:

Are you going to defend this?

Bubba X
02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
call it what you will.......... more money is flying out of your wallet.......... at unprecedented rates............. :bang:

Are you going to defend this?No, more taxes is more taxes. $250.... $2,500.... what's the difference?

delayjf
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, were all singing "Moon River" around here.

BlueShoe
02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
As a SoCal resident,these proposals,along with BO's "stimulus packages",have almost got me thinking about going off the wagon.Almost.What the pols dont seem to grasp is that the tax base will shrink even more,and revenue will decline along with it.Business and individuals have been departing California for years because of high taxes and stifling regulations.This will hasten a trek to the borders in even larger numbers.Of course,one logical way to cut the deficit is to enforce prop 187,passed years ago,which denies public aid and benefits to illegal immigrants.This will never happen,since the southern two thirds of the state have almost become a de facto province of Mexico.More bad news is on the horizon in 2010 for California when we choose a new governor.The likely outcomes are grim indeed,but that is another topic.

prospector
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
more california people will be moving to nev and arizona and screwing up those states...the big surge in nev came from calif moving to vegas about 15 years ago..then they started retiring in arizona...at that time they could sell for obscene prices and buy homes..and land...cheap...

JustRalph
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, They Did it.............

An average of 3000 dollars a taxpayer.......in increases.

Keep in mind, the state has many many residents who are counted as population and about a third of them Pay no taxes.

Hard working Californians can now claim to have been screwed by Arnold .....

bigmack
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Reminder to self:

1. Order Rosetta Stone for Spanish
2. Firm-up plans for Belize & Costa Rica
3. Pack bags
4. Bid adieu

http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/mlib/616/02/616_1235093233.gif

BlueShoe
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
The Sacramento Bee has an online calculator for Californians.Enter your income and the value of your vehicles and it cranks out how much extra you will pay each year.A couple of hours ago a radio talk show host was plugged into it and telling callers the answers.A key Republican lawmaker broke ranks and voted for this outrage.AaaNold is not a Republican and has never been one;he is a classic example of a RINO(Republican In Name Only).If I had the money to invest would like to own a moving van company right now.They will be very busy as Californians depart for other states.

JustRalph
02-20-2009, 01:02 AM
that calculator can't take into account the .12cent gas tax increase?

Depends on how much you drive.

How about the sales tax increase? Depends on what you buy?

Tom
02-20-2009, 07:55 AM
A living example of liberalism in action.
Condolences to the Californians who actually pay their own way and now get to pay the ways of three others. Liberalism is a cancer, Arnold is a tumor.

delayjf
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Blueshoe,

I don't know if you listen to Mark and John on KFI 640, but one of them had a solution to the budget that would have involved no new taxes. I went to look for it on their website but no joy. Do you know what his plan was or do you have a link??

I'm starting to hear that the California's deficent is set to grow next year so there is no telling how bad this could get.

BlueShoe
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
KFI not my usual talk radio station,so missed Mark and John.KABC my usual haunt (soon to depart O"Reilly,Hannity,Mark Levin,Curtis Sliwa,etc.)State senator Abel Maldonado (R) made a deaL with the devil when,in exchange for his decisive vote,the Democrats agreed to drop the $.12 a gallon gasoline tax increase.Too complex to list all the provisions here,but the major hit on taxpayers is a 1% hike in the state sales tax,a nearly doubling of the vehicle renewal fee,and .25% increase in the personal income tax rate.Once again;California is a bellwether state,and what happens here first often happens later in the rest of the nation.

slewis
02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
As a SoCal resident,these proposals,along with BO's "stimulus packages",have almost got me thinking about going off the wagon.Almost.What the pols dont seem to grasp is that the tax base will shrink even more,and revenue will decline along with it.Business and individuals have been departing California for years because of high taxes and stifling regulations.This will hasten a trek to the borders in even larger numbers.Of course,one logical way to cut the deficit is to enforce prop 187,passed years ago,which denies public aid and benefits to illegal immigrants.This will never happen,since the southern two thirds of the state have almost become a de facto province of Mexico.More bad news is on the horizon in 2010 for California when we choose a new governor.The likely outcomes are grim indeed,but that is another topic.

Reality finally sinking in regarding illegal immigrants......

It's just a matter of time....

ArlJim78
02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
have they considered pay-cuts, layoffs, spending freezes or actual cuts in outlays? that's the route that private enterprises must take.
we need a recession within government, time to face the music because the well has run dry.

bigmack
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
have they considered pay-cuts, layoffs, spending freezes or actual cuts in outlays? that's the route that private enterprises must take.
we need a recession within government, time to face the music because the well has run dry.
B-I-N-G-O

JustRalph
02-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I am not sure what is true on this anymore. I heard one place on the radio say the gas tax was cut in half.........another said it was remaining at .12 cents?

Now a post that is was dropped?

either way, Californians are getting screwed

bigmack
02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
The real scoop can be heard here:
http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/ondemand/player2.html?world=st
3-7 PM PST

BlueShoe
02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
The 12 cent gas tax was dropped,that was part of the deal.Several ballot initiatives will be voted on in a May election regarding funding.State employees are being required to take two unpaid Fridays off each month.Major cuts for education.The whole state will be feeling the pain.One ballot initiative on May 19 will be the one that if approved,would freeze legislators and elected officials pay during a deficit year.Bet that passes by about a 90% margin.

JustRalph
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Tea Party Revolt in Fullerton California March 7th 2009

15,000 Thousand show up...........

E9eKNQhKJQM

Tom
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Refresh my memory, Ralph.
When crowds showed up to protest the war, that was a major event as the voice of the people wasn't it? :lol:

JustRalph
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Refresh my memory, Ralph.
When crowds showed up to protest the war, that was a major event as the voice of the people wasn't it? :lol:

yes, it was patriotic and necessary to our country............Arnold was rumored to have wanted to do a hastily arranged press conference to respond........but just couldn't arrange a surgeon to get Maria's or Uncle Ted's hands out of his ass in time........... it was a Saturday, you know.......?

JustRalph
03-22-2009, 10:22 PM
http://www.avpress.com/n/22/0322_s3.hts

short article on the California tax increases........very short

JustRalph
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I am not sure what is true on this anymore. I heard one place on the radio say the gas tax was cut in half.........another said it was remaining at .12 cents?

Now a post that is was dropped?

either way, Californians are getting screwed

Uh-Oh.........forgot about this tax going up too

http://www.avpress.com/n/22/0322_s4.hts

The car tax is based on a vehicle's original purchase price.

The current rate is 0.65% of a vehicle's purchase price; the new rate will be 1.15%.

At the current tax rate, the owner of a new car purchased for $25,000 would owe $162.50.

But the owner of a new $25,000 car purchased after May 19 would owe $287.50 - an increase of $125.

The car tax decreases year by year as a vehicle's value declines.

The state takes 10% of a car's purchase price off of a car's value each year for the first 8 years, then 5% for the next three years.

A car you bought last year, the Department of Motor Vehicles says, is worth 90% of the purchase price.

One you bought 11 years ago is worth just 15% of the original price.

If you bought a $25,000 car in the summer of 2005, you would have paid a $162.50 license fee that year.

In the summer of 2009, the DMV will say the car is worth 60% of its purchase price, or $15,000.

With the increased car tax, you'll pay $172.50 - $10 more than you paid when the car was new.

more at the link

JustRalph
03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Damn.........here is another one...........

http://www.avpress.com/n/22/0322_s5.hts

In a move that budget analysts said will bring in $1.4 billion next year, legislators voted to cut the dependent tax credit paid to taxpayers with children or with other dependents, such as elderly parents or relatives.

The cut will take the dependent credit down to the same amount as the personal credit - for taxes on wages earned last year, the dependent credit was $309, while the personal credit was just $99, a difference of $210.

Cutting a tax credit is essentially the same as creating a tax increase.

Tax credits, explained Katherine Doud of Doud Financial Services in Lancaster, are different - and much more valuable - than tax deductions. It's important not to confuse the two.

Taxpayers often have tax deductions, but those items simply reduce the amount of taxable income you have. If, for example, you take home $50,000 a year, tax deductions might take your taxable income into the $40,000 range.

Tax credits, on the other hand, are "going dollar for dollar to lower your tax."

So if you owe $2,000 in taxes but have $600 in tax credits, you only end up owing $1,400.

"This is a reduction of actual taxes owed," Doud said.

So reducing the child tax credit from around $300 to around $100 means paying about $200 more per child or other dependent.

Have three kids? You'll be paying $600 more on 2009's taxes than you will on 2008's.

JustRalph
03-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Damn............they found another one....this is gonna hurt

http://www.avpress.com/n/22/0322_s6.hts

Please read this one..........what a friggin nightmare.......!!!

cj's dad
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Damn............they found another one....this is gonna hurt

http://www.avpress.com/n/22/0322_s6.hts

Please read this one..........what a friggin nightmare.......!!!

Ralph,

Somebody has to be for the Mexicans!!

cj's dad
03-23-2009, 09:52 AM
I heard Kansas state income tax refunds on hold for now..

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1037212.html

Every year I mail my State of Md. income tax on a Friday or Saturday which means the state gets same by Monday or tuesday. My return, EVERY year, typically is received within 2 weeks. This year, I am now in the 5th week and guess what - "still waiting"

cj's dad
03-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Ralph,

Somebody has to be for the Mexicans!!

Make that PAY

JustRalph
07-02-2009, 12:19 AM
http://www.avpress.com/n/01/0701_s8.hts

Sales tax increase? We just did this editorial!
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press
Tuesday, June 30, 2009.

Planning to buy a $20,000 car in Los Angeles County? Better buy it today, because it will cost you an extra $100 tomorrow.
The sales tax is going up. Again. Maybe we should just keep a "sales tax increase" editorial on file and plug it in every few months as the taxes keep going up.

In April it was a 1-cent increase placed on residents of the entire state by the Legislature and the governor, and now, just in case that wasn't enough, another half-cent tax is added for Los Angeles County, effective tomorrow - July 1.

We have to wonder how many residents would still approve the hike if the vote was today. The economy was on the downturn back in November, but everyone has tightened their belts even more during the last six months, and the county unemployment rate has soared well over 10%.

Not only that, when we went to the polls in November, we didn't know the people in Sacramento were going to get together in February and raise the taxes by 1 cent statewide. So here we are, entering July with the sales tax 1.5 cents higher than it was a year ago - with fewer people in a good position to buy things. That can't be good for business.

So, just what are we getting for this extra half-cent that's going to the county? Well, longtime residents will not be stunned to learn that Valley residents will pay more than we get back in projects. Surprise, surprise.

Antelope Valley Board of Trade Executive Director Josh Mann broke it down in a Viewpoint article he wrote for us on Measure R this spring:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090629/capt.c54929dbf44142389c6dae82ec5de17d.california_b udget_carp102.jpg?x=400&y=295&q=85&sig=nzXlciUBxRrcIGGr0LK_RQ--

more at the link

NJ Stinks
07-02-2009, 01:05 AM
With Proposition 13 in place for over 20 years, is it any wonder that the State of CA must increase sales tax and fees to raise additional revenue?

Obviously, local real estate taxes are not keeping up with local costs like the cost of educationing kids.

Right or wrong? :confused:

bigmack
07-02-2009, 01:53 AM
With Proposition 13 in place for over 20 years, is it any wonder that the State of CA must increase sales tax and fees to raise additional revenue?
Obviously, local real estate taxes are not keeping up with local costs like the cost of educationing kids.
Right or wrong? :confused:
Real estate taxes keeping up with a never ending educational spending spree?
There's never enough. Too many 'bad students' bringing down the grid. WAY too many. aka - Trying to educate kids that don't want no educatin' The good news is they might appear in a Jerry Springer episode at some point.

Remind us again the bad Prop. one-three has caused?

BlueShoe
07-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Just announced is a proposed ballot initiative that would sharply curtail public benefits to illegal immigrant mothers that enter California in order to qualify their babies for public assistence for the child and the family.With a staggering one out of every four births in the state being from a woman here illegally,the cost over the years and in the future is astronomical in a state that is in a fiscal crisis,fueled by a large extent by the huge illegal alien population.First the initiative has to qualify,then it has to pass in the 2010 election,and then it must be able to defeat legal challenges.In 1994 prop 187 passed by a 59% margin,but was overturned and declared unconstitutional.The same thing must not happen to this initiative.The legal precedent is that similar measures have been passed in several other states.
www.Americanchronicle.com/articles/view/108316 (http://www.Americanchronicle.com/articles/view/108316)