PDA

View Full Version : Steve Asmussen

billrock
02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
One year ago today Steve Asmussen saddled his 4,000th winner when 3-year-old gelding J J's Bud, ridden by Luis Quinonez, broke his maiden in the third race at Oaklawn Park.

cj
02-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I hope they remembered to deduct all those later DQed for drug infractions.

Relwob Owner
02-17-2009, 08:12 AM

Well played.... Would that bring it down to about 3500?:)

Shemp Howard
02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Any idea how many milkshakes he's served since???

:kiss:

pktruckdriver
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I love this board.

raybo
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Well, if he's using drugs that are illegally administered to win races, he's not alone. However, he must be doing it better than all the others doing the same thing.

Great trainer!! Never seen anyone bring horses into races so ready to run as this man. Workout analysis is pretty much a waste of time where Asmussen is concerned.

cj's dad
02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Well, if he's using drugs that are illegally administered to win races, he's not alone. However, he must be doing it better than all the others doing the same thing.

Great trainer!! Never seen anyone bring horses into races so ready to run as this man. Workout analysis is pretty much a waste of time where Asmussen is concerned.

Would this not be where the DRUGS kicked in ???

raybo
02-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Would this not be where the DRUGS kicked in ???

I can't prove it either way and I suspect, neither can you.

cj's dad
02-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Your comment was "workout analysis is pretty much a waste of time..... etc.

So, if one of his is working so-so and then steps it up significantly on the track on race day; what do you suppose is the reason for that ?

garyscpa
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM

So, if one of his is working so-so and then steps it up significantly on the track on race day; what do you suppose is the reason for that ?

150 to 180 lb. exercise riders.

DSB
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM

If he's using 150 -180 lb exercise riders to breeze his horses, maybe he's not as much a genius as everyone seems to think he is.....

cj's dad
02-18-2009, 10:15 AM

By that logic, maybe he should get Rosie O'Donnell to work out his stable.

garyscpa
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
By that logic, maybe he should get Rosie O'Donnell to work out his stable.

She'd only work out the fillies. :lol:

Grits
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
And how many races and training titles have you won?

If he's using 150 -180 lb exercise riders to breeze his horses, maybe he's not as much a genius as everyone seems to think he is.....

DSB
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
And how many races and training titles have you won?

I'm working on it.....

but on topic, are you suggesting that it's typical for horses to be breezed by exercise riders who weigh an average of 165 lbs? especially top notch horses at major tracks?

not in my experience...

Grits
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
No it is not typical. And have been on the apron in the morning at Keeneland, one of those major tracks you're speaking of, enough meets to know its not. Though, somehow, it works pretty well for Larry Jones doesn't it?

Keep working on those races and training titles, after you've won a few, hopefully, you'll have developed more skill in making your points.

Here, anyway, at least.
I'm working on it.....

but on topic, are you suggesting that it's typical for horses to be breezed by exercise riders who weigh an average of 165 lbs? especially top notch horses at major tracks?

not in my experience...

cj's dad
02-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Grits- the Steve A. subject re: drug usage and training methodology seems to have you a tad touchy, no ??

DSB
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
No it is not typical. And have been on the apron in the morning at Keeneland, one of those major tracks you're speaking of, enough meets to know its not. Though, somehow, it works pretty well for Larry Jones doesn't it?

Keep working on those races and training titles, after you've won a few, hopefully, you'll have developed more skill in making your points.

Here, anyway, at least.

You know, I'm glad I found this website. It's supplied me with plenty of laughs, so far.....

Just for the record, how many training titles have you won? Because, chances are, your opinion on the subject carries no more, and likely less, weight than mine.

And, at least I made a point. What was yours, btw?

joanied
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
oh oh...battle lines are being drawn:jump: grab your weapons and hunker down til the real shootin' starts:) :) :)

cj's dad
02-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm a hunkerin'

Relwob Owner
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm a hunkerin'

I have your back!:)

It is amazing to me how many times people ask for proof about trainers that have flunked tests!!!!!! Pletcher, Lake, Dutrow, Asmussen have all flunked tests and been suspended so how can people possibly be questioning whether or not there is proof? It just shows that the testing and the punishments really have no affect on the long term outcome--sadly, it probably discourages trainers who cant win training titles and motivates them to take a "cant beat em, join em" attitude and start doing it too.....as I have said on this board before, nothing will change unless the owners are held more accountable in punishments

Grits
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
No CJd, not touchy, what I said had nothing to do with Asmussen. Just observing the new poster's style.

As far as Asmussen, as long as he and other questionable trainers continue to win horse races I have to consider the horses they enter. I don't know whether every horse they enter is a beneficiary of better training methods or undectable drugs. Nor does anyone else here. At least not anyone whose in a position to admit as much from hands on, working in the barn of either trainer experience.

An excerpt from pages 102-103 of Beyer's Picking Winners which I've been reading again the last couple of days reminds me that Beyer has been on trainers he suspects of cheating for several decades. Probably as long as he's been watching horseraces and creating figures. Dutrow, Sr. and others under the microscope way back. Dutrow,Jr under his father's mentorship back then.

I'm not defending these trainers, not in any way. Several have infractions, as we know. I'm only saying, they do have skill, and I don't discount that fact. Nor am I planning to argue it further.

No Joanied, no shooting. It ain't worth the time or the energy. Ignore's a better option.

Grits- the Steve A. subject re: drug usage and training methodology seems to have you a tad touchy, no ??

joanied
02-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm a hunkerin'

We can share a bunker;)

joanied
02-18-2009, 12:38 PM
No CJd, not touchy, what I said had nothing to do with Asmussen. Just observing the new poster's style.

As far as Asmussen, as long as he and other questionable trainers continue to win horse races I have to consider the horses they enter. I don't know whether every horse they enter is a beneficiary of better training methods or undectable drugs. Nor does anyone else here. At least not anyone whose in a position to admit as much from hands on, working in the barn of either trainer experience.

An excerpt from pages 102-103 of Beyer's Picking Winners which I've been reading again the last couple of days reminds me that Beyer has been on trainers he suspects of cheating for several decades. Probably as long as he's been watching horseraces and creating figures. Dutrow, Sr. and others under the microscope way back. Dutrow,Jr under his father's mentorship back then.

I'm not defending these trainers, not in any way. Several have infractions, as we know. I'm only saying, they do have skill, and I don't discount that fact. Nor am I planning to argue it further.

No Joanied, no shooting. It ain't worth the time or the energy. Ignore's a better option.

grits....I do agree that these trainers ARE talented, regardless of positives...and like you, I cannot defend them...but do beleive in their talents as trainers...

and hey...no shootin'...that's no fun...me & cj'dad are waiting on the front lines:lol:

thespaah
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
By that logic, maybe he should get Rosie O'Donnell to work out his stable.I thought Rosie O'Donnell WAS a horse

WinterTriangle
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd sure rather see heavy excersize riders building stamina than performance drugs.

As for Asmussen, his win % at Oaklawn this season is only 0.15% and his place % is about 0.27%

Other than commenting about an illegal activity, as a racing fan, I rarely feel the urge to tell trainers and owners what to do with their horses. Since I am not at their barn, dealing with individual horses with individual needs/talents/personalities, there is too much information I lack to make my comments worth anything.

But if I felt strongly enough about it, I would "lead by example".....purchase my own racehorse, and hire a trainer or train it myself, to prove my methodology/philosophy.

It's all perspective, but until you've been in all those slots.........

raybo
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM

I think the answer is that a lot of the training his horses get is not reflected in the workouts. All, or most, of his horses work at a relatively easy pace. Hardly ever will you see one of his with a bullet, or even a top 5 workout on any particular day.

cnollfan
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the answer is that a lot of the training his horses get is not reflected in the workouts. All, or most, of his horses work at a relatively easy pace. Hardly ever will you see one of his with a bullet, or even a top 5 workout on any particular day.

Agreed. At the other end of the spectrum, Baffert horses regularly post eye-catching a.m. times, including some that can't run a step in the afternoon.

nijinski
02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Curlin did quite well in Dubai ,where drugs are not tolerated.
I agree Asmussen is a darn good trainer.