PDA

View Full Version : Beyer: Magna's Failure to Play Slots Puts Maryland Tracks in a Bind

takeout
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
[snip]
The state's slot board disqualified the bid of the Magna Entertainment Corporation, the parent company of the two tracks. As a result, a slot-machine facility will be built near the Arundel Mills shopping center instead of at Laurel, and years of efforts by the thoroughbred industry will go down the drain.
[snip]
Pimlico will survive because either Magna, another owner or the state will ensure that the Preakness survives.
[snip]

This reminds me. I know its been asked before but I’ve never gotten it straight. Can the Preakness be moved out of state?

Cash_McCool
02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Sure, it was run at two now defunct racetracks (Morris Park and Gravesend) in the Bronx in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

lamboguy
02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
for all you guys that got the 2.80 to show on silver city, that was good work!

both are bigtime racehorses, and both will get better off this last race.

swami13
02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
move the Preakness to Arlington Park

proximity
02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
has defrancis commented about this??

takeout
02-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Sure, it was run at two now defunct racetracks (Morris Park and Gravesend) in the Bronx in the late 1800's and early 1900's.Why was it moved back then?

takeout
02-16-2009, 07:03 PM
has defrancis commented about this??If he does I would love to hear it. Should be rich.

OTM Al
02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Sure, it was run at two now defunct racetracks (Morris Park and Gravesend) in the Bronx in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Gravesend was actually in Brooklyn (represent!), not too far from where I live now..."The facility covered an area which extended from McDonald Avenue (then Gravesend Avenue) to Ocean Parkway, and from Kings Highway to Avenue U."

Morris had it in 1890. It didn't run the next 3 years and then from 1894 to 1908 it was run at Gravesend. 1908 was the year of death for many tracks as that is when a gambling ban struck which would be in place for 3 years. That's why Pimlico got it back in 1909. These 15 runnings weren't actually considered Preakness Stakes until 1948 for the ones at Gravesend and in the 60s for the Morris Park running. In fact they probably shouldn't have added that one as it was the only TC race ever won by a horse...Montague was 5 years old as the event that year was for 3 and up.

takeout
02-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks!

alhattab
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I thought Magna bought the rights to the Preakness when it bought Pimlico. I'm not certain and the article is silent, but I think the Preakness is Magnas. Presumably Magna can therefore move the "property" to wherever it wishes.

cj's dad
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
The Preakness Stakes is owned by the Maryland Jockey Club. The Preakness can and will , more than likely, be moved. My guess is Gulfstream Park.

The continual non-friendly decisions re: the fans (among others) will lead to it's demise. Case in point-no beverages in the infield this year. Good marketing move move- piss off 80.000 patrons.

Tampa Russ
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
The Preakness Stakes is owned by the Maryland Jockey Club. The Preakness can and will , more than likely, be moved. My guess is Gulfstream Park.

The continual non-friendly decisions re: the fans (among others) will lead to it's demise. Case in point-no beverages in the infield this year. Good marketing move move- piss off 80.000 patrons.

As much as I don't want to see it, I think there is little hope left for racing in MD unless maybe Halsey builds a track once LRL and PIM are closed. The MD government has made it pretty much impossible for the track owner to make any money with slots, and the owner has doubled that problem with the DeFrancis deal. So MD will be left with Ocean Downs. Good grief.

As for the Preakness at GP, I can see that happenning. The cash from the sale of LRL and PIM could allow MEC to live on for a bit longer. But in the end, their leader is just to clueless for them to make it long term. Hell, run the Preakness at DEL. For that matter have Halsey purchase AC Race Course and make that the new home of the Preakness.

jotb
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Gravesend was actually in Brooklyn (represent!), not too far from where I live now..."The facility covered an area which extended from McDonald Avenue (then Gravesend Avenue) to Ocean Parkway, and from Kings Highway to Avenue U."

Morris had it in 1890. It didn't run the next 3 years and then from 1894 to 1908 it was run at Gravesend. 1908 was the year of death for many tracks as that is when a gambling ban struck which would be in place for 3 years. That's why Pimlico got it back in 1909. These 15 runnings weren't actually considered Preakness Stakes until 1948 for the ones at Gravesend and in the 60s for the Morris Park running. In fact they probably shouldn't have added that one as it was the only TC race ever won by a horse...Montague was 5 years old as the event that year was for 3 and up.

Wow! I spent many day's and night's on Ave U between McDonald Ave. and Van Sicklen Street in a place called Joe's bar. Of course this was in my younger day's, but shame on me, for not knowing there was a racetrack in Gravesend.

Joe

miesque
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I am actually kinda curious exactly how much "The Preakness" is worth in this current market if Magna/MJC were inclined to get some quick cash to shore up operations. Which brings about speculation of which parties have that sort of cash and are inclined to spend it to bring the Preakness to their facility (or one of their properties). The fact is Magna's corporate finances are such that they have to be looking into disposing Pimlico (in fact they probably have looked at every property in terms of potential dispersal) and failure to achieve a slots license would just be the last nail in the coffin.

cj's dad
02-17-2009, 09:41 AM
You stated recently that you had relocated to Maryland.
Welcome to the worlds largest insane asylum; the state run by democrats, for democrats, and to hell with everybody else.

Some history for you. Joe DeFrancis several elections ago supported one Helen Delich Bentley in her unsuccessful run for Governor vs. Parris Glendenning. She lost and so did Joe. He was punished for supporting her by having his state backed purse supplements cut, which caused a downward spiral at Laurel and Pimlico.

Amazingly, 2 cycles ago, Bob Ehrlich, became Md.'s republican governor only because he ran against a complete buffoon in Kathleen Kennedy Townsend. He ran on a platform of slots approval. Having a Democratic House and Senate that was scared to death that slots would be implemented and be a success thus cementing for him a second term, the Dems foiled him at every turn and his slots proposal was turned away.

Now the Dems are back and want slots to cure the states financial woes. Well, it seems that the economy has made slots a less attractive alternative to revenue enhancement and the entire situation is in a state of flux.

Welcome aboard !!

Tampa Russ
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
You stated recently that you had relocated to Maryland.
Welcome to the worlds largest insane asylum; the state run by democrats, for democrats, and to hell with everybody else.

Some history for you. Joe DeFrancis several elections ago supported one Helen Delich Bentley in her unsuccessful run for Governor vs. Parris Glendenning. She lost and so did Joe. He was punished for supporting her by having his state backed purse supplements cut, which caused a downward spiral at Laurel and Pimlico.

Amazingly, 2 cycles ago, Bob Ehrlich, became Md.'s republican governor only because he ran against a complete buffoon in Kathleen Kennedy Townsend. He ran on a platform of slots approval. Having a Democratic House and Senate that was scared to death that slots would be implemented and be a success thus cementing for him a second term, the Dems foiled him at every turn and his slots proposal was turned away.

Now the Dems are back and want slots to cure the states financial woes. Well, it seems that the economy has made slots a less attractive alternative to revenue enhancement and the entire situation is in a state of flux.

Welcome aboard !!

Thanks for the background. I actually went to LRL yesterday for the holiday card. Although much of the facility is in a state of decay, I still had a good time. I wandered the entire place a few times during the day. Took in the old silks from the Internationals of the past. Saw some old photo's up in the club house dining area. Checked out the old areas beneath the grandstand...looks like I missed last call at some of those bars about 20 years ago. I left at the end of the day with a feeling that the place will be gone soon. I'll go back as much as I can before the meet ends.

cj's dad
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't go very often as I wager from home 90% of the time. My youngest son and I do get together once in a while and hit Laurel; kind of a father/son bonding thing. We were talking the other day about going in 2-3 Saturdays from now when there are some TC race preps on tap. If we do, I'll PM you and let you know. Always enjoy meeting PA folks in person- well usually anyway.

Thanks for the background. I actually went to LRL yesterday for the holiday card. Although much of the facility is in a state of decay, I still had a good time. I wandered the entire place a few times during the day. Took in the old silks from the Internationals of the past. Saw some old photo's up in the club house dining area. Checked out the old areas beneath the grandstand...looks like I missed last call at some of those bars about 20 years ago. I left at the end of the day with a feeling that the place will be gone soon. I'll go back as much as I can before the meet ends.