PDA

View Full Version : GP rail moved to 48 ft. today

lansdale
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
The GP rail was moved from 24 ft. yesterday to 48 ft. today, for those who pay attention to these factors. At this point, I have no doubt that this has something to do with the distance of the turf races on the card. Today, there is a rare 10f race, exactly like the last time they moved the rail out. This unquestionably gives a little more help to horses that are forwardly placed, much like the already EZ stretch run, which produces what are, to my knowledge, the most inflated 3 fr figures in the country. BTW, I know of no other track that moves its rail remotely as often as GP, and I play 90% of them.

andicap
02-15-2009, 05:21 AM
hasn't GP in the past moved their rails during the racing day so that certain races would be at say, 9 feet, and others at 36 feet? (I'm not sure about the exact numbers, just posting them for illustration.)

That drove me bonkers in tracking where the rails are posted.

lansdale
02-16-2009, 01:57 AM
hasn't GP in the past moved their rails during the racing day so that certain races would be at say, 9 feet, and others at 36 feet? (I'm not sure about the exact numbers, just posting them for illustration.)

That drove me bonkers in tracking where the rails are posted.

Andicap,

I haven't played GP in the last couple of years - since they reconfigured the track and went to higher purses - but, I think, like many, I much prefer the old Gulfstream. Since I haven't played there but for the past six weeks, I can't say I'm familiar with the kind of intra-day rail movement you mention, but they do seem to move the rail pretty often and it really seems insane. Some posters claim that this has something to do with the weather, but after all, it's Florida. There's no question that rail placement affects the outcome of races, regardless of the track.

Cheers,

lansdale

Robert Fischer
02-16-2009, 07:10 AM
i was surprised in the Grade I Turf Handicap(kip deville etc..) that they didn't move that feature to the hedge or 9 feet or whatever. It does make a big difference at times.

Yesterday was a fair example. In the Coconut Grove(race 9) the race dynamics kind of got "stretched out":liar:.
Instead of bunching up like a usual turf race and seeing who could kick home the fastest final furlongs, the race went to Gozzip Girl the filly who could make the best headway but not necessarily a big late kick, with a lower caliber filly Oilgonwile almost going wire-to-wire and running 2nd.

Grits
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Dick Powell, who is a member here at PA, (hopefully, the same author) has written extensively in his columns for Brisnet's Handicappers Edge about the placement of the rail on Gulfstream's turf course.

Good knowledge, which is helpful, for handicapping the turf races on a day's card.

Tom
02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Karl posted a link to one of his articles a while ago.

lansdale
02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
i was surprised in the Grade I Turf Handicap(kip deville etc..) that they didn't move that feature to the hedge or 9 feet or whatever. It does make a big difference at times.

Yesterday was a fair example. In the Coconut Grove(race 9) the race dynamics kind of got "stretched out":liar:.
Instead of bunching up like a usual turf race and seeing who could kick home the fastest final furlongs, the race went to Gozzip Girl the filly who could make the best headway but not necessarily a big late kick, with a lower caliber filly Oilgonwile almost going wire-to-wire and running 2nd.

Robert,

Not only Oilgonville but Obsequious, who also hit the board, at 32-1, after running 1-2 with Oilgonville, is evidence of how this course favors early speed, even more so when the rail is moved out. If you subscribe at all to Brohamer's ESP designations, it seems to me most grass events are being won by pressers, with the 'early' horses placing, and the one-run closers, who are the winners on most turf courses, running third of fourth.

BTW, you are a helluva a sharp handicapper. Wish I had your skill.

Cheers,

lansdale

Thomas Roulston
02-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Arlington has the same "problem."

Bubba X
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Miami airport has reported less than 1/2 inch of rain since the meet started.

Ft Laud-Hollywood airport has reported less than 1/20 inch of rain since the meet started.

I think the weather has more to do with how the turf course is playing than anything else.