PDA

View Full Version : MLB Betting

MarquisMark
02-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm looking to do a little more MLB betting this coming season. Last year I seemed to do okay...I say 'seemed' because I didn't keep paper records of my fake and real bets. A lot of times I just took the overnight sheet on my lunch break and chose 3 or 4 games that looked good. Most of the time I got 2 out of 3 or 2-3 out of 4 (I stopped 'betting' when the books stop taking overnight action). That comes out to around 60 percent or so, which is okay.

Can anyone recommend any good books for betting on MLB? The one's I've found on Amazon got lukewarm reviews and the better sports betting books seem to be geared toward NFL. I just want to find something to flesh out the whole process and learn a little from.

skate
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Yes sir Marq;

says it righht here in My book. And for proof, that i'm correct, i think 90% would not agree with my opinions on this.

1) do not bet on the pitcher to whom the odds are based.

2) when the streak is 4 or 5 games (win or lose), go the other way.:eek:

DanG
02-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm looking to do a little more MLB betting this coming season.

Can anyone recommend any good books for betting on MLB?
By your location Mark the ‘Gamblers Book Store should be your first stop.

As Skate referred to…with the starting pitcher the dominate force in the line it might pay to specialize in bullpens. In terms of ability, rest, match-ups etc. With conservatively 33+% of the years innings being decided by the pens it might pay to focus where the public doesn’t.

Tiderunner
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
never lay more than 8/5. Concentrate on dogs. Patience.

Kinscem
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I started to beat baseball after I added one thing to my handicapping
Umpires

lamboguy
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
years ago i used to handicap the umpires. some had wider strike zones than others. it was great for the totals. now everyone betting baseball handicaps the umpires, including the oddsmakers. knowing the umpires used to mean more than the starting pitchers!

Kinscem
02-25-2009, 12:12 AM
I really doubt it's everyone. Ask someone who has a bet on a game what ump is behind the plate and over 90% chance they won't know. Only 2 "under" umpires really move the board right now and you can still get on them early in the first game of a series.

MarquisMark
02-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't considered the umpires when betting baseball. That's something I'm going to look into for this year.

I do bet against the streaks, win or lose, especially the last game of a series when it looks a strong team is about to sweep another one...cashed some good ones on that angle.

I mostly look for underdogs and strong/weak team match ups where the stronger team is getting a good plus on the run line. I prefer not to lay odds when betting sports.

Skate, what book are you talking about above?

lamboguy
02-25-2009, 05:04 AM
I really doubt it's everyone. Ask someone who has a bet on a game what ump is behind the plate and over 90% chance they won't know. Only 2 "under" umpires really move the board right now and you can still get on them early in the first game of a series.

when i say everyone, i mean the bigger players who do move the lines. they are all signed up with line service's such as don best sports. they move the lines instantly.

back in the early 1970's i bet hockey on split lines based on goaltenders that no one knew were going to start until 5 minutes before the game. i went out to the desert and bet them there. when i started they let me bet $2000 a game, 3 weeks later they let me bet only $200 on a hockey line that had about 30% built in juice in the layers favor.

i haven't bet sports in years now since the computerization of the odds. i play horses 365 days a year now along with trying to bisect and dissect equity markets. with the horses i have better results!

Thomas Roulston
02-27-2009, 12:48 AM
One of the oldest "trends" of this sort is to bet on the underdog in both games of any doubleheader, provided it's the same team in both games.

lamboguy
02-27-2009, 01:44 AM
One of the oldest "trends" of this sort is to bet on the underdog in both games of any doubleheader, provided it's the same team in both games.

i haven't seen a scheduled double header this century!

skate
02-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Marq

my apologetics are in order. my thought on MLB betting was real but not so the book.

Thomas Roulston
03-01-2009, 05:26 AM
i haven't seen a scheduled double header this century!

Maybe so; but I suppose it doesn't have to be (originally) scheduled for someone to bet on the underdog in both games.

lamboguy
03-01-2009, 08:59 AM
there was once a day when you could go to fenway park, sit way down in the right field grandstand. they were the gamblers and bookmakers that had the whole section. you could bet baseball with them pitch by pitch. you could bet something like $5 to a hundred on the batter hitting a homerun. i will lay you 5/2 the batter don't reach base. or if a team was ahead by 5 runs in the top of the ninth, i will lay you a thousand to $40 the game don't tip.

there were infamous people sitting in right field every day, like johnnie providence, or pittsburgh phil, or udi the coalman.

they were there as late as 1975 before the red sox became real popular. back in those days tickets for that section were still $1.00, even for a doubleheader. and a beer was .25!