PDA

View Full Version : Race 5 at AQU

HUSKER55
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Did anydody see the replay of that race and agree that was a good call? The 5 horse got bumped so hard he almost fell and they let it stand.

Maybe it is just me. I had the 5

JimG
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes. I agree it was a good no-call. I did not bet the race.

samyn on the green
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
It was the correct call. Goretty came out just as much as Love Strikes came in. Both horses were equal in fault for causing the contact. No reason to penalize the winner when the horse that almost fell is equally guilty of an infraction.

aaron
02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I would have benefitted from a take down,but felt the non-call was correct.

the little guy
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I would have benefitted from a take down,but felt the non-call was correct.

Me too.....on both counts. If anything, the fourth finisher was at fault, as she herded Goretty in midstretch, which caused the contact.

Of course, nobody will ever agree with me that herding is the biggest unpunished offense in racing.

ezrabrooks
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Me too.....on both counts. If anything, the fourth finisher was at fault, as she herded Goretty in midstretch, which caused the contact.

Of course, nobody will ever agree with me that herding is the biggest unpunished offense in racing.

Guy, I had never heard the term used on the Race Track before, until you brought it up. Is all herding intentional?

Ez

cj
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM

I won't, because I think pretty much anything the first few hundred yards is given a pass 99.5% of the time. It is certainly right there though.

BUD
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I was at the MS Doc til late---what is herding in racing----i dont want to google and wade thru the 3000 terms-----i'm tired--new meds----so a herding bone would be appreciated

the little guy
02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Herding is when a horse drifts and causes a horse outside of him or her to drift. It's essentially intimidation and helps a horse maintain an advantage. Believe it or not, there are some people who actually believe that by some major coincidence, both horses are randomly simultaneously drifting. This is not the case. In my opinion, this is a dangerous tactic, look what almost happened today, and should be penalized. Stewards do not seem to agree with me. I think it is a great misunderstanding.

For an extreme example, watch the head-on of the 2004 Woodward between Ghostzapper and Saint Liam. The reason the finish was close was Saint Liam herding Ghostzapper over ten paths.

BUD
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Herding is when a horse drifts and causes a horse outside of him or her to drift. It's essentially intimidation and helps a horse maintain an advantage. Believe it or not, there are some people who actually believe that by some major coincidence, both horses are randomly simultaneously drifting. This is not the case. In my opinion, this is a dangerous tactic, look what almost happened today, and should be penalized. Stewards do not seem to agree with me. I think it is a great misunderstanding.

For an extreme example, watch the head-on of the 2004 Woodward between Ghostzapper and Saint Liam. The reason the finish was close was Saint Liam herding Ghostzapper over ten paths.

I will--I value your say---I will re watch 1-9 Thursday morning it was a long day and the med change is weird reacting at best..

Thanks very much that was a very thorough explanation..thank you Sir

garyoz
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Interesting perspective, but where do you draw the line between race riding and herding?

bigmack
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Replay:

-En4M2Jg5tY

JustRalph
02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Good Stuff Mack!!!

Andy, very interesting stuff........this looks like a dead on example of what you are talking about

Mack, your mailbox is full

fill me in on what you are using to capture video.......... via PM

eastie
02-13-2009, 05:17 PM
most good riders will take their horse out as many paths as they have to in order to let their mount see the other horse coming. If they have a clear lead many will come over to scare the horse running up on them. Sometimes it only takes a little bit to do it. Just good race riding imho. when the rail is golden riders will try to herd the competition wide and then drop back over to the rail.
a huge example of herding was what the Cordero and Velasquez did to Ronnie Franklin in the Belmont

samyn on the green
02-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for posting the head-on replay. It is clearly obvious that Goretty came over and was partially responsible for the contact.

BUD
02-14-2009, 07:38 AM
most good riders will take their horse out as many paths as they have to in order to let their mount see the other horse coming. If they have a clear lead many will come over to scare the horse running up on them. Sometimes it only takes a little bit to do it. Just good race riding imho. when the rail is golden riders will try to herd the competition wide and then drop back over to the rail.
a huge example of herding was what the Cordero and Velasquez did to Ronnie Franklin in the Belmont

Thank You- A need to know- Thanks for sharing.