PDA

View Full Version : software for macs

colonial
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
is there any handicap software out there that runs on a apple mac computer?

QuarterCrack
02-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I guess it depends on your Mac... If you have one of the newer ones, you can run any PC software on it, so all handicapping programs are in play.

I know All in One can be used on a Mac in its natural OS.

I run Black Magic in a virtual machine using the Parallels software. It's a Windows native program; that's why I run it in a virtual machine within OS X.

One thing I would suggest if you plan to run a Windows program within a virtual machine (versus booting into a Windows environment using Boot Camp), make sure you have enough RAM to handle it - I have 4GB of RAM on my MacBook Pro, and I have no problem running Windows programs simultaneously with Mac programs (under the Mac OS). I can't say for sure, but I suspect you might see some slowdown with 2GB of RAM.

Good luck! :)

richrosa
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
HandicappingOS and DRF Web Formulator run on any platform.

azmike
09-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Any update on software that will run on a macintosh without running on the windows side (obviously any windows program will run in vm fusion or parallels) Thanks

Speed Figure
09-27-2009, 02:47 PM
These programs work on a mac! http://www.cynthiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=THS&Product_Code=ALLV6

azmike
09-27-2009, 02:58 PM
You're right! I forgot about those. I actually still have AIO but haven't used it in awhile. Maybe I will look at it again.

CBedo
09-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Question for QuarterCrack or any other experienced Mac guys:

Given that I'm doing more and more programming, I'm thinking of getting a macbook pro for my next laptop (can't believe as a die hard windows guy I just said that). Another reason for thinking of switching is that you can run windows on the mac, but not vice versa.

Anyway, my question is twofold. One, is there a reason you are using (or recommend using) Parallels versus Fusion? Secondly, how does the performance in Parallels compare to booting from boot camp?

Thanks.

azmike
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
FYI, I took an informal poll of the apple employees in the apple store yesterday and they all said they like Fusion better. I have no opinion about that but I can tell you that once you get a MAC you won't go back :)

Space Monkey
09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I love my MAC but I'm leery of importing Boot Camp or any other program to run Windows based software on it. I use an old hand me down dell laptop for the pace program I use.

azmike
09-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Agree it is a concern whenever you open up your mac to windows with the numerous windows-based viruses out there.

When I was in the apple store they told me that some people have success running Firefox (mozilla) and Chrome (from google) with the "wave" add on. Both of those are free. I have not tried either with windows programs so I don't know if they will work. The benefit to either of the latter 2 web browsers, if they worked, would that you are not actually running windows.

Space Monkey
09-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I run mozilla on my mac with no problems without the wave add on. i use mozilla and chrome on my dell laptop. chrome is super quick but is less compatible than mozilla.

AAcoolguy
09-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I run Bootcamp for all of my handicapping programs with no problems, I do have 4G RAM on my MacBook Pro also, I got it just for this reason. I have MacAfee security and have had no trouble with viruses or anything of that nature. :ThmbUp: