PDA

View Full Version : Bailouts at the local level? Here we go..........

JustRalph
02-09-2009, 01:05 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090209/NEWS01/902090346

This is scary............ if Cincy does this.......... all bets are off...........

Restaurant owner wants city help

BOND HILL BAILOUT

By Jane Prendergast
jprendergast@enquirer.com

BOND HILL - She's 82, she makes some serious macaroni and cheese - and she wants a bailout from the city of Cincinnati.

Rachel Lewis is no banking conglomerate or big automaker. She runs Rachel's Bar-B-Que & Soul restaurant, started 13 years ago with her daughter and her own recipes. Things were good, to the tune of at least $12,000 a week.

"It wasn't so much that we liked to cook," she says, "but we knew people liked to eat."

But that was before the nearby Huntington Meadows public housing complex was razed and turned into single-family homes, with fewer residents - and fewer customers for her. And before it got more difficult to find reliable help for less than $10 to $12 an hour, which she can't afford. Before she learned the city's Empowerment Zone, which offers federal funds to help struggling neighborhoods, stops just short of her property. Before she borrowed $250,000 from her home equity and got behind on her income and real estate taxes. Before the economic downturn.

Now, she says her income has dropped to about $5,000 a week, just 40 percent of what it was in the good old days. She wants help.

more at the link including this:

I doubt that there is much we can do, but I'm not going to close her out of any opportunity just because of my ignorance," said Vice Mayor David Crowley, who asked the city manager to research any possible options for helping Lewis. "I commend her for having the guts to stand up and say, 'Hey, where's mine?' "

Lewis figures when President Barack Obama talks about bailing out people on Main Street, he's talking about her.

Check out some of the comments

ddog
02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
cities/states have used bail-ins for years and years, that's of course another part of the problem.

you start looking at all the "freebies" given away to attract business to various cities/states and most anything else at the level this story talks about is very small potatoes.

Most of those deals , the money was all upfront or very short term, even if those bailed-in entities are still around I bet their employee counts are way way down or headed there.

not 1 in 100 people(imo) actually realize what is going on and the depth it will likely need to get to in order to stabilize.

jballscalls
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
i'm a montgomery inn man myself

Tom
02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Local fire department in Churchville is getting $34,000 for exercise equipment and a washing machine from HOMELAND SECURITY!!!!!

Guess when we get attacked next time, the firemen will fight off the terrorists and then wash their turbans!!!

Government waste......isn't that double dipping calling it that? :rolleyes:

ddog
02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Homeland Security, just like all this other bail out "end of the world or else" was an earmark to end all earmarks, nothing in human history that I can think of is as full of pork as that agency.

Bubba X
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Homeland Security, just like all this other bail out "end of the world or else" was an earmark to end all earmarks, nothing in human history that I can think of is as full of pork as that agency.You must admit that FEMA has worked top-notch since Homeland Security assumed it's control!

JustRalph
02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
You must admit that FEMA has worked top-notch since Homeland Security assumed it's control!

FEMA should be dismantled and the funds provided to the States to provide their own Emergency Management. HOmeland Security should be culled to 90 percent of what it is now and dump the load on the States. When they fail, the Governor and Legislatures are subject to indictment.

That would stir them up...............

Tom
02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
You must admit that FEMA has worked top-notch since Homeland Security assumed it's control!

Aside from distributing contaminated peanut butter products in the emergency box lunches that could kill whoever eats it, yeah, they are doing smashingly well! :lol:

sandpit
02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
FEMA should be dismantled and the funds provided to the States to provide their own Emergency Management. HOmeland Security should be culled to 90 percent of what it is now and dump the load on the States. When they fail, the Governor and Legislatures are subject to indictment.

That would stir them up...............

Amen; if the federal government would pare itself down to 2 basic functions: 1. provide a defense system that obliterates forevermore anybody that tries to attack us; 2. maintain the transportation infrastructure for the planes, trains and automobiles that are the lifeblood of our economy; we would all have a lot more money in our pockets and wouldn't have to listen to the endless drivel that comes out of Washington.