PDA

View Full Version : Network question

plainolebill
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I've got a wired network with an SMC router, my daughter is coming for a long visit this summer and I'd like to be able to set up wireless for her laptop. Is there a wireless adapter that would plug into my router?

I was check put Newegg and found this but it's not clear to me that it would work and even if it does, the user reviews say that the instructions are pretty basic. Not good for me.

Asus access point (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025)

Thanks, Bill

Dave Schwartz
02-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Plug the wireless into your computer and let her reach the internet through your computer. It will be much easier.

plainolebill
02-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks Dave, I've got an open port on the router in my office but I'd like to fix it so she can access her email, etc. from some other part of the house.

applebee
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks Dave, I've got an open port on the router in my office but I'd like to fix it so she can access her email, etc. from some other part of the house.

Lynksis wireless access point model wap54g plugs into your existing router and gives wireless access setup is easy and works fine.

plainolebill
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks Applebee.

headhawg
02-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a wireless home router? They usually have a 4-port switch included for the wired part of your network. I bought a Netgear 801.11G router over four years ago for less than $50.

The 11N and dual-bands are more expensive, but N isn't a standard yet anyway so there is always the risk of incompatibility. I guess knowing what the laptop wireless card is would help with the solution.

njcurveball
02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a wireless home router?

Exaclty my thoughts when I first read this thread. Seemed like too easy an answer, but since you bring it up I totally agree unless there is something unknown?

With close outs at many major electonic stores, Circuit City the most famous, you probably can go even cheaper than $50 for a name router.

headhawg
02-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I bought a Netgear 801.11G router over four years ago for less than $50.Lest anyone think that I am an IT idiot, I meant an 802.11 router. The IEEE standards are of course 802.xx. Sorry for any confusion.

JustRalph
02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
the cheapest solution

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/50-foot-CAT5E-CAT5-Network-Ethernet-Cable/2541154/product.html

Kidding aside, I am with the guys on the Wireless router

plainolebill
02-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys

plainolebill
04-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Update, I bought an Asus wireless router. Has two USB ports, one of which can be configured for a network hdd. Cheaper than an access point and a better router than I had before. I flashed to the newest firmware (do I sound like I know what I'm doing? :D ) and it's pretty darned good.

Thanks guys for the suggestion.

Bill

headhawg
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I flashed to the newest firmware (do I sound like I know what I'm doing? :D ) and it's pretty darned good.Yes, if you are saying "flashing the firmware" then you are one step closer to joining the geek fraternity. :)

Good luck with your network; glad it worked out.