PDA

View Full Version : 3 Horse Contendors...how to play

Conquer
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Whenever I read of daily picks, most handicappers choose the top 3 horses they like as contendors. But any decent handicapper can do that. So how does one play such a scenario?

ryesteve
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Whenever I read of daily picks, most handicappers choose the top 3 horses they like as contendors. But any decent handicapper can do that. So how does one play such a scenario?Honestly? If you're talking about a handicapper that's widely read, or is picking in the track program, I'd find a horse I like that they DON'T mention.

Conquer
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Honestly? If you're talking about a handicapper that's widely read, or is picking in the track program, I'd find a horse I like that they DON'T mention.

I agree with you there, but even on here when people put picks usually they pick more than one horse. So what exactly is the best way to play such a scenario?

Overlay
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Assuming that the horses are listed in descending order of preference, you could ask questions such as, "How do each horse's odds compare with the long-term winning percentages associated with each horse's ranking, based on the handicapper's past performance?" Alternatively, you could concentrate on exotic play, possibly again comparing the projected payoffs of wagers with the handicapper's past results as to how often the various combinations of first, second, and third choices fill out those bets. (Ideally, the handicapper should list not just the horses, but also the fair odds that are associated with them (which would more closely adhere to the definition of handicapping).)

JustRalph
02-06-2009, 06:24 PM
when I post picks in the selections forum, I figure everybody knows they are in my order of preference?

Isn't that what everybody does?

strapper
02-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Ah, my friend that is the age old riddle of horse racing! I once picked 9 winners on top on my tipsheet and failed to win any significant money. Probably because I started doubting the law of averages towards the end of the card, but still, anybody can put up 3 decent horses just about --the real trick is how you manage your money.

Whenever I read of daily picks, most handicappers choose the top 3 horses they like as contendors. But any decent handicapper can do that. So how does one play such a scenario?

Overlay
02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
when I post picks in the selections forum, I figure everybody knows they are in my order of preference?

Isn't that what everybody does?

I was just being specific, to differentiate such a situation from a general listing of "contenders".

dav4463
02-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Find your best two horses not listed as one of three contenders. Play 8-1 or higher to win and hook them up with the three contenders in the exotics.