PDA

View Full Version : Ummm....ok....ummmm....I'm sure this will all work out for the best.

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Obama likely to drop charges in bombing case

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama (http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/barackobama) will likely order a military commission to withdraw charges against Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, a suspect in the U.S.S. Cole bombing held at Guantanamo naval base, ABC News reported on Thursday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE5147YJ20090205

Tom
02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
He's an enabler. A terrorist's best friend.
What's next, a pardon for Bin Laden?

HUSKER55
02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
and you expected what?

Change has come.

Burls
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I'd like a little more evidence here before passing judgement.
Is it reasonable to suppose that al-Nishin is innocent?
If it isn't, he should continue to be incarcerated and possibly executed.
If it is, he should be let go.
Isn't that what 'the justice that is being fought for' demands?

Tom
02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Who's fighting for justice?
If he's at Gitmo this long, shoot him an be done with it.

OTM Al
02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
You are missing most of the story

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/05/uss.cole.bombing/index.html

ddog
02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
funny stuff Al, they didn't MISS anything.
can they really be that , you know, or is it some weird tactic.

lamboguy
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
wow, alot of weird things happening lately in the good old USA.

even i can't figure them out~

Tom
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
If I were one of the families, I would spit in his face for being a terrorist sympathizer, which he clearly is.

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2009, 10:47 PM
You are missing most of the story

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/05/uss.cole.bombing/index.htmlI posted what was there at the time from reuters. Take it up with them.

It will be interesting to see what Obama has to say to these families, as I'm sure there is going to be plenty of "lipstick on a pig" flying around these meet and greets given what he has been doing since taking office.

NJ Stinks
02-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Here's another tidbit reported by CNN.com:

"Last year, al-Nashiri said during a Guantanamo hearing that he confessed to helping plot the Cole bombing only because he was tortured by U.S. interrogators. The CIA has admitted he was among terrorist suspects subjected to waterboarding, which simulates drowning, in 2002 and 2003 while being interrogated in secret CIA prisons."

JustRalph
02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
No Fear, Obama and his crew are just cruisin along........No Fear!! We have our respect back!!! We shouldn't fear anyone now............

http://justralph.com/cruisin.gif

newtothegame
02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Here's another tidbit reported by CNN.com:

"Last year, al-Nashiri said during a Guantanamo hearing that he confessed to helping plot the Cole bombing only because he was tortured by U.S. interrogators. The CIA has admitted he was among terrorist suspects subjected to waterboarding, which simulates drowning, in 2002 and 2003 while being interrogated in secret CIA prisons."

I apolgize in advance if this was not your intent.....but are you suggesting that we sit and have a cup of tea with these people and ask for a confession? Maybe invite them over for a back yard BBQ and I am sure they will confess all their sins at that point...right?
I don't want it to sound as though I am saying we "beat the crap" of people until we get a confession but, I am saying that we don't need to treat them as house guest either. Lets not forget this is WAR. We are one of the only countries in the world who provide these rights.
I do understand this is a fine line we must walk. I also understand that while I served my time in the military, I served it proudly fully aware of what would become of me had I become a prisoner of war. And as I best recall, I do not think I was expecting tea and crumpets.
I know I may catch some flack for this...but WHY take prisoners?? Whats the point? It task our military further (as they now have to take care of more mouths with food as well as transportation cost etc etc). If you say that we take prisoners to gain intelligence, then we are back to square one...tea and crumpets?? How do you gain that intelligence?? There are now many reports as to what is happening to the previously released from Guantanamo prisoners. Even saudi officials are saying that most have fled and rejoined terrorist organizations. So I ask all those who say we should not "torture"....what do you propose we do? What are the alternatives. Or is it your stance that we dont take prisoners and we just kill em on the battle field? I would hope your stance is not that we take them prisoners just to remove them from the battlefield and place them in a local ramada inn? Prisoners are very taxing and honestly a burden to our troops IMHO.

DJofSD
02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
If I were one of the families, I would spit in his face for being a terrorist sympathizer, which he clearly is.Naw, I'd recreate the scene from "Forest Gump" when he gets his medal from President Johnson.

ddog
02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
No Fear, Obama and his crew are just cruisin along........No Fear!! We have our respect back!!! We shouldn't fear anyone now............

http://justralph.com/cruisin.gif

Wow!!!

always with the race baiting stuff!

as Pa would say , must every thread go there?

boxcar
02-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Wow!!!

as Pa would say , must every thread go there?

Geesh...and here all along I thought Rap was a black thing -- that it originated with blacks. Isn't prez Stinky black -- well, at least part of the way?

Boxcar

DJofSD
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Wow!!!

as Pa would say , must every thread go there?OK. I'll bite. What exactly is in that video spoof that makes it race baiting? The fact that two people are black?

ddog
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
checkerboard.

how would the reasoning go as to the positions of the people in the vehicle?
boxy- rap has nothing to do with it- that horse left the country years ago.
Islamist terrorists like our rappers.
I am certain this was not jr1.0's intent.

Greyfox
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
OK. I'll bite. What exactly is in that video spoof that makes it race baiting?

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: I agree with you DJofSD. Some people's cognitive filters force them to see bias in everything.

DJofSD
02-06-2009, 12:06 PM
checkerboard.

Checkerboard. What does that mean -- exactly? A single word response does not help me one little bit.

"how would the reasoning...?" is a question I can not answer.

In essance you have raised questions of racism but you have failed to show how the spoof is racist in nature and you have failed to explain yourself.

We're trying to operate on a cognative level here not a visceral one.

Perhaps the spoof makes you feel uncomfortable. Doesn't bother me any. And if it does make you uncomfortable, you have my sympathy but not my empathy.

You remind me of the typical ploy women engage in called mind reading. You seem to be able to perceive intent then jump to conclusions followed by unfounded accusations.

boxcar
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
checkerboard.

Thank you, you've made my point. Islamist terrorists, then, have to be lovin' prez BO.

Boxcar

ddog
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Checkerboard. What does that mean -- exactly? A single word response does not help me one little bit.

"how would the reasoning...?" is a question I can not answer.

In essance you have raised questions of racism but you have failed to show how the spoof is racist in nature and you have failed to explain yourself.

We're trying to operate on a cognative level here not a visceral one.

Perhaps the spoof makes you feel uncomfortable. Doesn't bother me any. And if it does make you uncomfortable, you have my sympathy but not my empathy.

You remind me of the typical ploy women engage in called mind reading. You seem to be able to perceive intent then jump to conclusions followed by unfounded accusations.

ok, try to reason some here....
if you were doing the spoof why would you not have either bama and biden or bama and michael ridding in the front?

What would be the purpose of going against the norms in this case?
husband and wife - prez and VP - guys in the front girls in the back?

You see, cognitive levels are only good if you realise the hard-wiring underneath.

And i guess to follow up on your little shot, you kinda remind me of those who can't understand that the cognitive you so praise is a slave to the visceral unless challenged all the time.

ddog
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you, you've made my point. Islamist terrorists, then, have to be lovin' prez BO.

Boxcar

take it for what you will, it was not intentional , your "points" are not worth it in this instance.

cj's dad
02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
We here at PA are truly fortunate to have one with such an insightful and limitless intellect on board; Thank you so much.

Thank you also for pointing racism where others see none; this quality of yours is also much appreciated.

take it for what you will, it was not intentional , your "points" are not worth it in this instance.

delayjf
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Unless the terrorist have mastered time travel the above does not make sence. He participated in a terrorist attack in 2001 becuase he was waterboarded in a secret CIA Prison in 2002 and 2003???

ddog
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
We here at PA are truly fortunate to have one with such an insightful and limitless intellect on board; Thank you so much.

Thank you also for pointing racism where others see none; this quality of yours is also much appreciated.

I am not much interested in what you can see or not see.

They asked I told, didn't recall addressing anything to you.

boxcar
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM

We shouldn't infer from your remarks that dog's pointless remarks were unintentional, should we? :D

Boxcar

OTM Al
02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I posted what was there at the time from reuters. Take it up with them.

It will be interesting to see what Obama has to say to these families, as I'm sure there is going to be plenty of "lipstick on a pig" flying around these meet and greets given what he has been doing since taking office.

Not saying you did anything wrong. Sure that was the very first thing that came out before the details were made clear. Just seems like everyone thinks these guys are just being turned out when that isn't the case. I want them tried. I want the world to see them fairly tried. Then I want the world to see what happens to those found guilty. But as it was, nothing was moving forward. Either we can prove these guys were guilty of what we say they are or not. Either way, do something.

robert99
02-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Not saying you did anything wrong. Sure that was the very first thing that came out before the details were made clear. Just seems like everyone thinks these guys are just being turned out when that isn't the case. I want them tried. I want the world to see them fairly tried. Then I want the world to see what happens to those found guilty. But as it was, nothing was moving forward. Either we can prove these guys were guilty of what we say they are or not. Either way, do something.

Even the released "non-guilty" ie no shred of evidence ones have their lives and futures ruined.
Many were not "picked up on the battlefield" but were vulnerable people sold to the US Army through interpreters who were bribed. Some were even fighting the Taliban but were shopped to US by rival tribes. Torture has gone far beyond waterboarding the latest UK detainee, Binyam Mohamed, released as innocent and giving torture evidence in the British Courts alleges he was flown to Algeria and back to Pakistan and hung upside down for days, followed by endless sleep deprivation and his genitals mutilated by razor blade.

UK Minister, Miliband told MPs in an emergency statement that the US had not after all made any "threat" - a term the judges used in their ruling in light of evidence from Miliband and his advisers. Instead, he said, the US had warned Britain that a high court order to disclose the torture evidence would be "likely to result in serious damage to US national security and could harm existing intelligence information-sharing between our two governments".

Two long-term UK residents who have spent the past five years as prisoners at Guantanamo Bay have been officially cleared by a Pentagon tribunal. But they still face indefinite detention because the British government is refusing to arrange their release. (US release conditions are illegal in UK)
The Observer has learnt that Ahmed Errachidi, 40, a Moroccan chef who worked in some of London's best-known restaurants for almost 18 years, and Ahmed Belbacha, 37, a refugee from Algeria who spent a week at the 1999 Labour Party conference working at the main party hotel, have both been classified as having no terrorist threat.

As with many Guantanamo prisoners, serious allegations made against the two men when they were captured in Pakistan in 2002 have been shown to be false.

Originally, the Pentagon claimed that Errachidi - whom it dubbed 'The General' - had spent the first half of 2001 training at an Afghan camp and fighting with the Taliban. Reprieve was able to show that, at the time, he had been cooking at the Westbury Hotel in London and could not have left the country because he had submitted his passport to the Home Office with an application for permanent residence.

He has suffered mental illness. His most dramatic 'confessions' during interrogations in Guantanamo were that he was Osama bin Laden's commanding officer, and that a giant snowball was about to engulf the planet at al-Qaeda's behest. By its recent decision, the Pentagon appears to have recognised that these assertions were, as his lawyers claim, the products of his psychotic delusions.

Tom
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
You get 20,000 tuna and a couple of dolphins, is the fishing bad?

Burls
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Last year, al-Nashiri said during a Guantanamo hearing that he confessed to helping plot the Cole bombing only because he was tortured by U.S. interrogators. The CIA has admitted he was among terrorist suspects subjected to waterboarding, which simulates drowning, in 2002 and 2003 while being interrogated in secret CIA prisons.

Unless the terrorist have mastered time travel the above does not make sense. He participated in a terrorist attack in 2001 because he was waterboarded in a secret CIA Prison in 2002 and 2003???
No, the point is he confessed to being involved in the 2001 Cole bombing after being subjected to waterboarding in 2002 and 2003.
What needs to be determined is whether or not the confession is accurate.
The problem is that they have no way to verify whether it is accurate or not.
It is common knowledge among interrogators that torture is not a reliable means of getting information because people will confess to all sorts of things they didn't do just to get the torture to end.
What they need to do is get him to give some information that only someone involved in the plot would know.
Otherwise, they don't have a credible case that he's guilty.

Don't get me wrong here, if the confession can be shown to be accurate, I say kill the %$#$%.
But, if the confession cannot be shown to be accurate, then there is a reasonable possibility that he has committed no crime and should be let go.
This is the foundation of out justice system: The accused is presumed innocent unless they can be proven guilty.

Then we have Dick Cheney piping up that if we let him go we are asking for trouble.
But think about this.
If he is innocent and his family knows he is, then we've got his five brothers filled with hatred and eager to avenge the unjust incarceration of their brother.
Further, how do you suppose Americans will be treated if captured by the other side when it's known that Americans are willing to imprison and torture without properly establishing just cause?

ddog
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
these guys will confess in hopes they will GET a trial.
They want to have a forum for their crap.

You don't give them that, but you do want to find out what's what, not just board them and/or take the word of some tribal feudster that sees a big pile of US cash to turn in the guy who stole his camel.

you don't want to fool yourself however much some may take that as the easy way out.

if we can prove in closed session that the guy is guilty, send him out here, I will cut his head off and mail it back to you, no problem.

DJofSD
02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
If he's not guilty what do we do? Cut your head off?

Burls
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
take the word of some tribal feudster that sees a big pile of US cash to turn in the guy who stole his camel.:lol: :lol:

Burls
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
If he's not guilty what do we do? Cut your head off?No, you send him hunting so that Dick Cheney can shoot him in the face.

DJofSD
02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Lower. Aim lower.

delayjf
02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
The problem here is we are not privy to the classified information / facts surrounding this case. For example, did he make statements about facts surrounding the Cole bombing after his confession that further implicated him?

Intell analysts are not stupid; Intel gathered will be vetted to determine its validity. Everyone is aware that many people will confess to ease the treatment, but once they start talking, the information / details they provide will be evaluated against other known intell to determine if what he is saying is factual. For example, this guy in his confession may have had knowledge that only an insider would know - Which would validate his forced confession.

As far as treatment of US POWs, they already cut off the heads of captured US Soldiers,so I don't think we have anything to lose in that regard.

newtothegame
02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
No, the point is he confessed to being involved in the 2001 Cole bombing after being subjected to waterboarding in 2002 and 2003.
What needs to be determined is whether or not the confession is accurate.
The problem is that they have no way to verify whether it is accurate or not.
Burls....but here in lies the problem. And this was the question I had asked earlier in this thread. You say that there is no way to verify if the information recieved under torture is accurate....how can you verify ANY information we recieve (with or without) torture is accurate?
It is common knowledge among interrogators that torture is not a reliable means of getting information because people will confess to all sorts of things they didn't do just to get the torture to end.
What they need to do is get him to give some information that only someone involved in the plot would know.
And again, this is under the premise that we would have someone that was involved in the plot. If we had someone in the plot...or (someone we believed was in the plot) how would we know the information that person gave us was accurate????
Otherwise, they don't have a credible case that he's guilty.

Don't get me wrong here, if the confession can be shown to be accurate, I say kill the %$#$%.
Here in lies the problem again....is there really any way to prove its 100% accurate?? Unless we have a video...fingerprints, or dna, it would be very hard to meet the 100% accurate standard. Even then, the best most scientist would guarantee on dna is about 99.9999%. So do we ever really truly know??? My point is our own court system is based on the laws of relative probabilities. I am sure the CIA, and other departments (based on the trust we afford them as citizens) did NOT just go round up some long haired bearded muslim and point the finger. If this were the case, why him?? Why not the next guy who had a hatred for american policies? there had to be some sort of evidence.
or, is it your contention that, we should let everyone go that can not be proven to be 100% guilty, free? I would seriously look at your own judicial system if you say yes to that answer. Our system of justice is not perfect but , I assure you that its the best thing going in the world as I believe.
But, if the confession cannot be shown to be accurate, then there is a reasonable possibility that he has committed no crime and should be let go.
This is the foundation of out justice system: The accused is presumed innocent unless they can be proven guilty.

Then we have Dick Cheney piping up that if we let him go we are asking for trouble.
But think about this.
If he is innocent and his family knows he is, then we've got his five brothers filled with hatred and eager to avenge the unjust incarceration of their brother.
These people who are extremist ALREADY hate us!!! Whether or not we have done anything to a member of their families or not. Have you not seen the latest Al-Qeada videos??? lol They chose not to have tea and crumpets with us.
Further, how do you suppose Americans will be treated if captured by the other side when it's known that Americans are willing to imprison and torture without properly establishing just cause?
Again, I am sorry here to disagree respectfully. Last I checked, lets say Vietnam for sake of arguement....I suppose our men and women would be treated very badly whether or not we treat their prisoners in a certain manner. I do not believe the Hanoi Hilton was a local resort that all the tourist of the time were flocking too.

Burls
02-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Intell analysts are not stupid; Intel gathered will be vetted to determine its validity. Everyone is aware that many people will confess to ease the treatment, but once they start talking, the information / details they provide will be evaluated against other known intell to determine if what he is saying is factual. For example, this guy in his confession may have had knowledge that only an insider would know - Which would validate his forced confessionI am in full agreement with you here.
Forced or not, if he gives information that implicates him, he should die.
No getting off on a technicality.
But if he hasn't given such information, it is reasonable to think he's innocent.
So he should be let go in that case.

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow!!!

as Pa would say , must every thread go there?huh? What are you talking about?

Burls
02-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Here in lies the problem again....is there really any way to prove its 100% accurate?? Unless we have a video...fingerprints, or dna, it would be very hard to meet the 100% accurate standard. Even then, the best most scientist would guarantee on dna is about 99.9999%. So do we ever really truly know??? ...Is it your contention that, we should let everyone go that can not be proven to be 100% guilty, free? I would seriously look at your own judicial system if you say yes to that answer. Our system of justice is not perfect but , I assure you that its the best thing going in the world as I believe.
I never claimed that 100% certainty is required in order to convict someone of criminal charges. My claim is simply that the accused's guilt must be established beyond a reasonable doubt. That's the standard we use here.
If al-Nashiri's confession combined with reliable intelligence regarding the details of his confession can implicate him in the plot to bomb the USS Cole beyond a reasonable doubt, then he should die. If it can't, then he should be set free.

NJ Stinks
02-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Newtothegame, I posted the waterboarding confession aspect because I think it is relevant. It may be turn out otherwise but I thought it deserved to be part of the discussion here.

That was my intent.

newtothegame
02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Newtothegame, I posted the waterboarding confession aspect because I think it is relevant. It may be turn out otherwise but I thought it deserved to be part of the discussion here.

That was my intent.

But you failed to address the questions posed...
What do you suggest???
I think these are vaild questions for all of us. We all, as humane nations, agree to abide by the Geneva conventions rules. problem is, we seem to be the only country who follows these rules. Same goes for NATO...lets be real here....Nato is a joke.
So what are the alternatives? I would suggest to you that there is a strong reason why Israel (although there sre some who try) has litttle problems although they are the size of an ant in a forest full of people who wish to take away their existence. THEY FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!!!
Now do we take the same stance?? I don't know the answer. Although I do think we are too worried about what other countries think and how they look at us. Now again this is a touchy line to walk because we do have to have credibility throughout the world. But credibility in my opinion does not come in the form of weakness.

NJ Stinks
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM
A fair trial is what I suggest, Newtothegame. Anything less is un-American in my book.

riskman
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I believe the reason for Obama's decision stems from the recent Supreme Court decision in June 08 concening the Military Commissions Act.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/06/12/boumediene/

Suff
02-06-2009, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE]But you failed to address the questions posed...
What do you suggest???
I think these are vaild questions for all of us. We all, as humane nations, agree to abide by the Geneva conventions rules. problem is, we seem to be the only country who follows these rules. Same goes for NATO...lets be real here....Nato is a joke.

Do you mean the UN is a joke? NATO is not a joke. Far from it. The US is working hard to include the Ukraine and Georgia in NATO and Russia is ready to nearly war over it.

That was one of the man factors in the European Natural Gas (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-02-03-voa58.cfm) supply being shut off this winter. The Gas pipe runs from Russia to Europe, through the Ukraine. Russia also invaded Georgia last year. This is all over NATO.

Kyrgyzstan just closed a NATO base (http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=118949&d=7&m=2&y=2009) this week because Russia paid it it to do so. That base was our main supply depot en-route to Afghanistan. Russia told us today that they will only forward non-military supplies to Afghanistan. NATO is a treaty that says if you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us. NATO is the strongest military treaty on the planet.

So what are the alternatives? I would suggest to you that there is a strong reason why Israel (although there sre some who try) has little problems

Israel his little problems? I can't think of a country with more problems. Regardless of who you think is the cause of the problems, whatever Israel is doing is not solving them. If I was suggesting problem solving strategies I wouldn't start with Israel. Bear in mind, most Jews don't live in Israel and last I looked the Jews that don't are experiencing similar problems.

. Although I do think we are too worried about what other countries think and how they look at us. Now again this is a touchy line to walk because we do have to have credibility throughout the world. But credibility in my opinion does not come in the form of weakness

Don't worry about thing. Not only are you safe , but your probably as safe as any Human being in the entire history of Safe Human Beings.

After all, You live in a country mostly surrounded by Ocean. Your two bordering nations have not made war in a Century. You have 50,000 Nuclear bombs, An army, and air-force. Everybody here has a Gun, and some money.

Your very safe... safe like no other human.

regarding terrorist and 9-11/

Al Qaeda?

these are people who had no planes, no pilots, the guys they used couldn't land or take off , they could only steer. They have no army, no govt, no money, and they used box-cutters to hijack planes. I have a box-cutter. I have no army though.

If we built our armies, constructed nuclear weapons, built submarines, launched satellites and armed our people only to be afraid of these pirates then we ought just give them the country because we are idiots.

We are safe. Safer than anybody on this planet and its likely true that as a people we are as safe as any nation in Human History.

There is no need to be torturing people. There was no need for about 75% of the shit we have done. We have it made it worse than it was.

Suff
02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
But you failed to address the questions posed...
What do you suggest???

Do you mean the UN is a joke? NATO is not a joke. Far from it. The US is working hard to include the Ukraine and Georgia in NATO and Russia is ready to nearly war over it.

That was one of the man factors in the European Natural Gas (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-02-03-voa58.cfm) supply being shut off this winter. The Gas pipe runs from Russia to Europe, through the Ukraine. Russia also invaded Georgia last year. This is all over NATO.

Kyrgyzstan just closed a NATO base (http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=118949&d=7&m=2&y=2009) this week because Russia paid it it to do so. That base was our main supply depot en-route to Afghanistan. Russia told us today that they will only forward non-military supplies to Afghanistan. NATO is a treaty that says if you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us. NATO is the strongest military treaty on the planet.

So what are the alternatives? I would suggest to you that there is a strong reason why Israel (although there sre some who try) has little problems

Israel his little problems? I can't think of a country with more problems. Regardless of who you think is the cause of the problems, whatever Israel is doing is not solving them. If I was suggesting problem solving strategies I wouldn't start with Israel. Bear in mind, most Jews don't live in Israel and last I looked the Jews that don't are experiencing similar problems.

. Although I do think we are too worried about what other countries think and how they look at us. Now again this is a touchy line to walk because we do have to have credibility throughout the world. But credibility in my opinion does not come in the form of weakness

Don't worry about thing. Not only are you safe , but your probably as safe as any Human being in the entire history of Safe Human Beings.

After all, You live in a country mostly surrounded by Ocean. Your two bordering nations have not made war in a Century. You have 50,000 Nuclear bombs, An army, and air-force. Everybody here has a Gun, and some money.

Your very safe... safe like no other human.

regarding terrorist and 9-11/

Al Qaeda?

these are people who had no planes, no pilots, the guys they used couldn't land or take off , they could only steer. They have no army, no govt, no money, and they used box-cutters to hijack planes. I have a box-cutter. I have no army though.

If we built our armies, constructed nuclear weapons, built submarines, launched satellites and armed our people only to be afraid of these pirates then we ought just give them the country because we are idiots.

We are safe. Safer than anybody on this planet and its likely true that as a people we are as safe as any nation in Human History.

There is no need to be torturing people. There was no need for about 75% of the shit we have done. We have it made it worse than it was.

JustRalph
02-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Try a family members opine

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=3541216&referralPlaylistId=playlist

"I voted for him, but I think I made a mistake"

Tom
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
A fair trial is what I suggest, Newtothegame. Anything less is un-American in my book.

Good. This POS is not an American and has no right to use our court system.
This is war, not frigging jay walking. Kill the SOB at half time of the Pro Bowl.

Burls
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Good. This POS is not an American and has no right to use our court system.
This is war, not frigging jay walking. Kill the SOB at half time of the Pro Bowl.Do you think that would be a bigger draw than Beyonce?

DJofSD
02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Do you think that would be a bigger draw than Beyonce?You mean, like, a public execution? PPV? YouTube?

Tom
02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Watching Beyonce is akin to a public execution.

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
We are safe. Safer than anybody on this planet and its likely true that as a people we are as safe as any nation in Human History.And yet we couldn't stop almost 3,000 ordinary citizens from dying one September afternoon, along with two colossal buildings destroyed (plus a third not-so-colossal building).

This does not jibe with the average American's definition of safe.

But you do raise some good points. Points that only serve to reinforce how something like 9/11 can't be allowed to happen again. And that's why we are where we are right now.

Lefty
02-09-2009, 01:48 PM
We were in the middle of military trials for some of these terrorists when Obama stopped them with his order to close Gitmo, Do you think that's justice? Do you want this terrorists to have civilian trials complete with lawyers?

ddog
02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Try a family members opine

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=3541216&referralPlaylistId=playlist

"I voted for him, but I think I made a mistake"

yeah, if only there were do overs, no Bush in 2004.
:faint: