PDA

View Full Version : Preakness Day Infield

cj's dad
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Announced locally today that there will be a ban on bringing in beverages of any kind to the infield on Preakness day.

Are these people (management) out of their minds? The only reason 99% of these morons go into the infield is to get drunk and eventually make asses out of themselves.

Oh yeah , 16 oz. beers will be available at $3.75 each.

Si2see
02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
what will I watch between races now ?

BombsAway Bob
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Baltimore news accounts the Sunday after the Preakness...
"...and the 2009 Preakness attendance was 40% lower than 2008.
Management blames it on the Economy(Natch).Of course, the track made
an additional $147,000 in beer sales.The Porta-Potty Dash wasn't nearly as fun in the infield, either.
Throwing plastic cups instead of full cans of beer at runners is hard!"
When Saratoga finally follows suit & bans outside alcohol (and they eventually will), the annual huge attendance numbers put up @ THE SPA will vanish as well. Hopefully, this won't occur for at least a few more years.

JWBurnie
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
For anyone who has been, I think you'll agree.

The infield is the main attraction of the Preakness, for many. I've been to the infield a half dozen times or so and have seen things there that I never thought I'd see, never wanted to see, and/or will never see again.

One thing I will say, Pimlico doesn't care about their infield handle. There wasn't a single year where I didn't get shut out at the window for a couple races. I spent the majority of my days in line, trying to make wagers (could only bet upcoming race). To top it off, the tote machines are staffed by individuals who have no clue about horseracing, wagering or the machines they're operating (most tickets are wrong).

It would be interesting to see the numbers for lost ticket/sponsor revenue, compared to increased beer/beverage sales.

Preakness at Pimlico is fading away, slowly but surely.

Tampa Russ
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
There is no shortage of stupidity here in MD. First the moronic government makes it almost impossible for any company to make a profit with slots (and then they are surprised by the small number of applications???), then takeout rates increase, and now the infield debacle. Let's see... a $50/60 cover charge and can't bring your own?

Between the government and track management, MD racing looks to be on it's last legs. The sad thing is, I don't really seem to care.

Tom
02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I predict a lot more than one horse will get punched out by disgruntled fans in the stretch runs this year! :eek::D (Artax)

miesque
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I realize I am in the minority here, but I think its good that Pimlico tightened up their alcohol policy. The first year I attended the Preakness I was shocked that I was sitting in the Grandstand next to people who had brought cases of beer into the Grandstand with them, all legit. I had never been to a major sporting event where you could bring your own alcoholic beverages inside with you and none of the other tracks I had visited up to that point allowed it either. Also, I think there are serious liability and safety issues based on the condition of some of the infield patrons I have seen staggering around (if they haven't already passed out on the sidewalk) during the traffic jam I have sat in after the Preakness. I am all for drinking it up at the track but drinking til the point you are almost unconscious outside the Pimlico gates in that neighborhood is just not a very good idea.

cj
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I realize I am in the minority here, but I think its good that Pimlico tightened up their alcohol policy. The first year I attended the Preakness I was shocked that I was sitting in the Grandstand next to people who had brought cases of beer into the Grandstand with them, all legit. I had never been to a major sporting event where you could bring your own alcoholic beverages inside with you and none of the other tracks I had visited up to that point allowed it either. Also, I think there are serious liability and safety issues based on the condition of some of the infield patrons I have seen staggering around (if they haven't already passed out on the sidewalk) during the traffic jam I have sat in after the Preakness. I am all for drinking it up at the track but drinking til the point you are almost unconscious outside the Pimlico gates in that neighborhood is just not a very good idea.

First, this is the infield, not the grandstand. The people that go into the infield know what they are getting into.

As for the neighborhood, while it isn't very good, nothing is going to happen to you on Preakness day, drunk, sober, or anywhere in between. There are about a zillion cops around.

A lot of money is going to stay away from the Preakness. If that is what the MJC wants, fine. I personally don't care what people do or don't do in the infield. Maybe they think it will be made up with the wildly increased takeout on P3s and P4s.

Or, maybe they are just trying to make the day more sophisticated and will follow with an English announcer next. :)

slew101
02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I also applaud the decision. I remember a few years ago, the ESPN female in the infield was basically groped during an interview segment with drunken fans. Real nice.

[QUOTE=JWBurnie]The infield is the main attraction of the Preakness, for many. I've been to the infield a half dozen times or so and have seen things there that I never thought I'd see, never wanted to see, and/or will never see again.

miesque
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
First, this is the infield, not the grandstand. The people that go into the infield know what they are getting into.

As for the neighborhood, while it isn't very good, nothing is going to happen to you on Preakness day, drunk, sober, or anywhere in between. There are about a zillion cops around.

A lot of money is going to stay away from the Preakness. If that is what the MJC wants, fine. I personally don't care what people do or don't do in the infield. Maybe they think it will be made up with the wildly increased takeout on P3s and P4s.

Or, maybe they are just trying to make the day more sophisticated and will follow with an English announcer next. :)

Thanks, I needed a chuckle this afternoon. The thought of trying to make the Preakness, or Pimlico in general for that matter, more sophisticated is pretty funny. The Preakness, where between races in addition to watching the festive infield activities you can also watch the crack houses across the way slowing collapsing. :D

No doubt this will most likely be a net revenue loss since I think the infield tickets are $50 so for every individual who does not show up due to the stricter alcohol policy and its highly unlikely they will make that amount up on the increase in beer sales to those who do return who had previously brought their beer.

BUD
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Its not apples to apples---But my NASCAR connections--weak AND low AS THEY ARE---They say they are being pulled to the PC side---Hopefully this new ADMIN will have a different agenda----Not the prohibition glory days of the past..

But if they fall for this GWB Siren song of the past--will it add up to another bail out?

makes me sicker than I am-----WTF Am I going to get well for---A losing ticket and a diet coke? CMon Government of freekin Morons---and Phonies......

When I got stabbed for these Jack @$$es I earned the right to call them what I feel like---Tell me differently..
jerks..

Bubba X
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
$3.75 doesn't seem all that bad for a 16 oz beer. I paid $12 for a Heineken at a hockey game the other day.

BUD
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Its the atmosphere they are screwing with--A way of life they wanna see eradicated------The NASCAR mind set---

Stand An watch it go buh bye----Not Me----

I aint a white collar guy--Never will be---I enjoy events where I could bring--And sit on (((MY Cooler))---Drink MY BEER------

Make the price up--Charge a little extra more-----But My @$$ will probably not make these eats again-----I would NOT let this old part of life walk away gone------Once it does---Good bye-------

Maybe it means more to me for other reasons----I will keep my trap shut------

Pace Cap'n
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
$3.75 doesn't seem all that bad for a 16 oz beer. I paid $12 for a Heineken at a hockey game the other day.

Ten bucks for a 16oz Coors at a Chiefs game.

cj
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM

You needed a beer that bad?

ENT222
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I went to the Preakness once, althought not in the infield. It took close to two hours to get in, missed the first 3 races, parked in someones yard, walked over a mile in a suit and it was 90 degrees. As I'm going towards the entrance there were EMT's going to the infield as well attending to those who couldn't make it in because of the alcohol poisoning at 1030am. Are you serious? Don't get me wrong I occasionally have the early beer but that is insane. Ok so you got these kids(I was 23 at the time) who dont give a sh-- about racing other than drinking, walking in with shopping carts full of 30 packs. There is no place in racing for people like that.

Ok so I finally get inside, I have box seat passes which were top of the line but the ushers wouldn't let me go one way, I had go extremely out of my way for no reason(idtiots) to my seats. My thought was I'm dressed like this just for the heck of it right and these seats dont mean anything, nice way to treat the customer. Anyways, as I read on a another reply there are tellers who dont know what a horse is taking bets. They should set aside a designated area for those who don't attend horses racing and dont know how to bet with those tellers who can't add 2 and 2.

Ok so I'm in line and there is a lady betting $2 to show on pretty much every horse, 13 horse field mind you, including 2 heavy favorites. She didn't say an all but she kept stepping back and looking at the monitor to decide what to bet. So I started talking to a random person explaing my disbelief, then this yuppy who has never been to a race butts in says go to the $50 window, I then explained I am not betting $50 only 30 and we back and forth but nothing happened except that he kept quite. But anways this is one reason why I will not go to the races on big days ever again unless I am in a box seat in the club house or similar. Kentucky Derby won't ever go. Been to Belmont Day which wasn't that bad but similar drinkin events as the Preakness, but more controlled to a degree. Ok so what I was getting at was don't allow the infield drinking non-sense and close Pimlico.

JWBurnie
02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok so what I was getting at was don't allow the infield drinking non-sense and close Pimlico.

ENT,

I agree, they need to get away from the crowd that the infield has attracted, but they need to replace it w/ something. Over the last couple years Pimlico has held a two-day concert called Virgin Fest (big acts, huge crowds) in the infield. Something like that. Or, really push the steeplechase picnic crowd.

Anyone ever go to the bigger steeplechase events? The crowds on a nice day are down right amazing. 10, 20, 30,000 people tailgating w/o a lot of the Preakness crap.

I think closing Pimlico is bit extreme. Too much history. I'd be sad.

ENT222
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I got got caught up in the moment regarding my comment on closing the track but the free for all drink fest must go. The bands and entertainment is a good idea.
Eric

BUD
02-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Let the drinking stay---Who needs to go up to the window anymore------

You must think I;m a drunk----I say let horse racing not be prudish let it have its one animal house day of the year-----

So the kids flourish to the park---and act like----kids...Big deal---

in the long long run it may be a good thing----really----

use your cell call in your bets---The Bathroom---Your on your own----Call them in too.

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey, guess what? My new "take no prisoners" approach to personal attacks also applies to posts made here in the horse racing section, not just off-topic.

So, sorry if you took a lot of time to make a reply...if it contains what I deem as personal attacks, it gets deleted in its entirety. No more careful editing on my part...I will delete the whole thing to save myself some time.

Thanks for your cooperation.

cj
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey, guess what? My new "take no prisoners" approach to personal attacks also applies to posts made here in the horse racing section, not just off-topic.

So, sorry if you took a lot of time to make a reply...if it contains what I deem as personal attacks, it gets deleted in its entirety. No more careful editing on my part...I will delete the whole thing to save myself some time.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Well, I think you are a selfish jerk for doing things that way. Oh, and your wife dresses you funny.

Robert Fischer
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
wonder if the cool of 30 chilled beers on your body
will offset the heat of wearing a large winter coat 3rd Sat. of May?? :p

BombsAway Bob
02-06-2009, 12:34 AM
zz Top, BuckCherry, & TBA for only $50 advance, $60 @ the Door!
No Alcoholic OR Non-Alcoholic Beverages allowed for carry-in...
Virtual Nascar, Virtual Paintball, Virtually No Chance it'll be a success!
http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/49096.htm?id=49096&source=rss

beertapper
02-06-2009, 01:41 AM
i wonder if this fine tradition will continue in light of the ban ...:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78dEg5qjbP0

Tampa Russ
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
On second thought, it has been 25 years since my last Preakness Infield experience. After viewing some of the videos, I now know why Libertarianism will never succeed. We have no respect for freedom. So, another piece of freedom goes away.

BUD
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
come on bring these wannabes to the infield at Talladega Alabama--they'd have no shot-----

being a cop----um---there are none to be found----Up in New Hampshire---We tell them---You eff it up---you lose it---We will police it---You do the same----Its amazing how that works-------But a different brand of fans---different venues use different kinds of cops etc------

behavior like that-----forget about it---They would all be busted---Lose their ability to get future tix----But whattta I know-----------I am A line guy have been for 20 years-I get paid to do not think---haha..

That was----um----a disgrace on to many levels to even rightly comment---#1----the Law--------Why have em---Looked to be all rents anyway-----disgraces....

cj's dad
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM

To put your fears to rest about the shocking grandstand patrons @ Pimlico, fans have not been allowed to bring in their own beverages for the last 2 years(other than the infield). Food only. Also, many used to bring in folding chairs to sit in the grandstand area around the TV monitors- banned those damn chairs too. Why let folks enjoy themselves when there is so much else to do. So, lets make the patrons inside who paid $40 (last years price I believe) for the right to ENTER the grandstand (does not include a seat outside) pay for their beer at $4.75 (last year's price) and stand for 7-8 hours.
I'm boycotting wagering on the Preakness day card.
The Maryland Jockey Club is comprised of complete idiots.

Red Knave
02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Announced locally today that there will be a ban on bringing in beverages of any kind to the infield on Preakness day.

And yet, at the Kentucky Derby it seems to be a different mindset. I don't know if you can bring your own, but this sure sounds like a job for cj's dad :)

http://www.islandpacket.com/lowcountrylife/story/747368.html

Love to party? Apply for this 'job'

McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Published Friday, February 6, 2009

Forget just being on the Infield at the Kentucky Derby. This year, you could be chosen to lead it.

If you are a US citizen between the ages of 21 and 34 who loves to party, check out the application for this year's Chief Party Officer of the 2009 Kentucky Derby 135 Infield. The CPO will oversee the infield encampment for three days, act as the official spokesperson in media interviews, and live in the "boardroom on wheels," a recreational vehicle filled with games, activities, wagering machines, food and more.

To apply, record a two-minute video explaining why you should be chosen to lead the Derby. Then, complete the official entry form at www.chiefpartyofficer.com (http://www.chiefpartyofficer.com) and upload your video. The contest is open through Feb. 28.

eclecticapper
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Churchill doesn't allow you to bring your own, which doesn't stop people from doing it anyway. You'll never see so many people bringing fruit to a race track as you will on Derby Day. I'm not sure how much vodka you can inject into an orange but such portable screwdrivers are far tastier than mint juleps.

CincyHorseplayer
02-06-2009, 02:39 PM

That is fairly reasonable.I spent $75 on beer on a Saturday night at a Reds game a few years ago.

BUD
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Churchill doesn't allow you to bring your own, which doesn't stop people from doing it anyway. You'll never see so many people bringing fruit to a race track as you will on Derby Day. I'm not sure how much vodka you can inject into an orange but such portable screwdrivers are far tastier than mint juleps.

OH MAN I am sooooooooo envious------SOB

:lol: thats me---I think I am standing----Oh man---when those days leave---it surely suc---ks---I hope you can see my point------those days ended on me by brute force---NOT my sensibility

thruncy
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Are these people (management) out of their minds? The only reason 99% of these morons go into the infield is to get drunk and eventually make asses out of themselves.

Oh yeah , 16 oz. beers will be available at $3.75 each. What!! No Chief Party Officer?!! The morons from Churchill can fix that!

thruncy
02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I went to the Preakness once, althought not in the infield. It took close to two hours to get in, missed the first 3 races, parked in someones yard, walked over a mile in a suit and it was 90 degrees. As I'm going towards the entrance there were EMT's going to the infield as well attending to those who couldn't make it in because of the alcohol poisoning at 1030am. Are you serious? Don't get me wrong I occasionally have the early beer but that is insane. Ok so you got these kids(I was 23 at the time) who dont give a sh-- about racing other than drinking, walking in with shopping carts full of 30 packs. There is no place in racing for people like that.

Ok so I finally get inside, I have box seat passes which were top of the line but the ushers wouldn't let me go one way, I had go extremely out of my way for no reason(idtiots) to my seats. My thought was I'm dressed like this just for the heck of it right and these seats dont mean anything, nice way to treat the customer. Anyways, as I read on a another reply there are tellers who dont know what a horse is taking bets. They should set aside a designated area for those who don't attend horses racing and dont know how to bet with those tellers who can't add 2 and 2.

Ok so I'm in line and there is a lady betting $2 to show on pretty much every horse, 13 horse field mind you, including 2 heavy favorites. She didn't say an all but she kept stepping back and looking at the monitor to decide what to bet. So I started talking to a random person explaing my disbelief, then this yuppy who has never been to a race butts in says go to the $50 window, I then explained I am not betting $50 only 30 and we back and forth but nothing happened except that he kept quite. But anways this is one reason why I will not go to the races on big days ever again unless I am in a box seat in the club house or similar. Kentucky Derby won't ever go. Been to Belmont Day which wasn't that bad but similar drinkin events as the Preakness, but more controlled to a degree. Ok so what I was getting at was don't allow the infield drinking non-sense and close Pimlico.See y'all at St. Claude and Dumaine!

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Well, I think you are a selfish jerk for doing things that way. Oh, and your wife dresses you funny.Well, you didn't put much time or thought into this reply, so I'm just going to leave it up out of spite.

cj
02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, you didn't put much time or thought into this reply, so I'm just going to leave it up out of spite.

Grrrr....

thespaah
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Oh yeah , 16 oz. beers will be available at $3.75 each.
Last sentence. ..That's why the ban. So if you want an alco bev, you have to buy it form them. They make money and they get to control the boozing
Fans ruined it for themselves.
Screw it. I'll watch it on TV like I always have.
Racetracks that do this are screwing thmeselves.
Perhaps a boycott of the infield on Preakness Day will show Pimilico mgmnt that fans disagree with the policy.

Stevie Belmont
02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Marylands racing is in bad shape for sure.

It does not look good.

They banned booze on Belmont Day, things went better. No blasted college kids with beer balls. Some people were really ripped I have to admit, but rowdy and drunk is not a good mix at the track. Enough they said.

The bottom line is the things that were going on there in the infield is just to much officials thought. I wonder what the numbers were on passed out, fights, etc. They will stop byob.

Disagree or agree thats one of the reasons they did it.

I just focus on the racing...I remember in 1999 when Charismatic won the Preakness, there was a long power outage that day. It was a mess, temps were in the upper 90's

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/05/18/PH2008051802686.jpg

JWBurnie
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
"But after Preakness officials announced last week that fans won't be allowed to bring in any alcoholic beverages on race day, the Preakness as most of us know it and the tradition of the event are gone."

Penn State
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2009/02/12/without_booze_preakness_loses.aspx
Towson State
http://media.www.thetowerlight.com/media/storage/paper957/news/2009/02/12/News/Attendees.Outraged.Over.New.Rule-3625334.shtml

JustRalph
02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Toss the Tax rate on winnings in..........and I don't know why anybody would go or play the race.

The highest taxes on winnings in the country.......... if memory serves me right

JPinMaryland
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Is it possible that this is just another salvo in the war on slots in MD? I have no idea not following this closely. I think the slots finally did pass?? I dunno. Is there any connection?

Also I am no fan of Preakness day. Had a really piss poor time when Barbaro broke down. We didnt even know it till we got to our car, the PA system was so effin bad. Couldnt hear a thing and we kept watching replays with the race and trying to figure out where Barb. finished.

I have had enjoyable enough times there on non big days. You can get pretty close to the action, talk to owners and such.