PDA

View Full Version : Coming off a "handicapper's layoff"

Barchyman
07-17-2001, 02:59 AM
I may have posted once or twice prior to the last re-install of the BB, but I've essentially been a lurker.

Want to thank you all for the informative discussions, and PA for giving us a place to have them.

I'm interested in what others do in terms of their own "layoffs" or "freshenings" - those times (if you have them) when you step back from active handicapping and betting.

I'm interested in a couple of things -

a) do you take periodic breaks - if so, how often?

b) how do you know when it's time - both to take one and to return?

c) what does the layoff consist of?

d) how do you return to "active status"? Maybe you just dive right back in. Maybe you do some recordkeeping of imaginary wagers before betting real money. And so forth.

e) and for those making heavy use of software/databases who used to be paper and pencil oriented - do you find the need for breaks (if you take them) to be more or less frequent - or have they become different in structure (maybe you have one or two "automatic" plays when you're not heavily playing).

My answers to the above are:

a) Yes - generally about twice a year.

b) When all the numbers on the paper/printouts seem to all blend together and point to either every horse or no horse being able to win - it's time for me to stop. A number of "bad beats" - DQs, tons of 2nds on win bets, etc. may cause me to stop betting for a few days - but I'll keep handicapping.

When I find myself going back to the DRF for the articles - it's time to get back in.

c) I'll take at least two weeks and not do anything "horsey". I'm a small time owner of T'breds - all the percentages I own MAY add up to nearly one whole horse - so there may be some time enjoying the training/racing/backside mornings aspect without the handicapping part towards the end of that time.

d) I've found that a very valuable tool for me as I start back is reading horse related fiction. My favorite books are the two handicapping novels that Mark Cramer wrote - but I also enjoy the William Murray and Dick Francis books, and have a couple of other single books by other writers.

I think that this gets the right side of my brain working better - I visualize a lot more and find myself better able to "preview" a race in my mind upon my return to the handicapping wars. Right before I come back - I'll reread one or two classics (Beyer/Quinn/Quirin/Ainslie etc.) and then dive right in.

It is normally during the first month or so back that I do my best in any type of exotics - whether single or multi-race.

e) I don't fall into this category - so can't answer here.

Thanks to all for any thoughts you may have on this subject.

Tom

Slider
07-17-2001, 05:24 AM
I'm interested in a couple of things -

a) do you take periodic breaks - if so, how often?

b) how do you know when it's time - both to take one and to return?

c) what does the layoff consist of?

d) how do you return to "active status"? Maybe you just dive right back in. Maybe you do some recordkeeping of imaginary wagers before betting real money. And so forth.

e) and for those making heavy use of software/databases who used to be paper and pencil oriented - do you find the need for breaks (if you take them) to be more or less frequent - or have they become different in structure (maybe you have one or two "automatic" plays when you're not heavily playing).
----------------------------------------------------------------
a. Yes I take one or two racing days a week off to keep up my records and stats
b. I always pass on the late starting Friday cards
c. record keeping and handicapping past races with my latest idea or trend or soon looking and querying my database for track profiles and hot factors.
d. N/a
e. Much less frequent. Good software stops the brain from going dead. In my DRF days I was brain dead after 2 days. With HSH (horsestreet handicapping program) the new ideas continue to flow and the monthly upgrades recharge the energy. And yes I do have automatic plays that show long term profits. It makes a large difference to your enthusiasm when you know within 5 minutes if you are going to play or pass a race and who the contenders are and where the value lies.

Slider

Larry Hamilton
07-17-2001, 08:42 AM
when was the last time youwalked into a room filled with strangers (?), asked five (A thru E) detailed questions, and then provided your own answers to the questions? try to picture that...

Must Get my list updated

Barchyman
07-17-2001, 02:19 PM
Larry (assuming you can still read me<G>) and anyone else "overcome" by the leaden post -

I guess I didn't see it from the point of view of you being strangers to me - I feel like I've gotten to know a lot about many of you, and have appreciated what you've all had to say. But true, you don't know me from Adam.

The reason I posted my answers was not to say "this is the right way", just that it is what I do - and I'm always looking for ways to better it. Maybe others would say "been there, done that, and moved on" and I could see how they moved on.

I had seen some questioning of people who would post questions or statements to debate, wait until a few replies, and then would post their own answer. Some thought they (rightly or wrongly) were trying to "catch" people. Figured I'd do it all at once to avoid that - ESPECIALLY as a new guy. Didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying it was the "holy layoff grail".

Thanks,
Tom

NoDayJob
07-17-2001, 09:37 PM
If you are disciplined and have the mental fortitude for this business and handicap systematically you shouldn't show signs of "burnout". If you like taking breaks then by all means take them. If you take a break to rethink your handicapping then maybe you are not suited for this occupation. OMHO -NDJ

Rick Ransom
07-18-2001, 01:03 PM
I don't get burned out now, but I get bored sometimes going through the daily routine. Three or four years ago I was overwhelmed sometimes, but now my method is pretty well set so it's mostly routine. It does take a long time to become confident enough about what you're doing to stop tinkering with it constantly.

I still enjoy doing research when I can think of something different, but that happens less often these days since I've already looked at a lot of things. Of course that's mostly useful for knowing what isn't significant, since 99% of all factors are neither positive nor negative to any large degree.

Sitting in front of a computer monitor too much can be lonely after a while. So try to get out in the "real world", even if it's just to go to a "real" race track.

Tom
07-18-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by NoDayJob
If you are disciplined and have the mental fortitude for this business and handicap systematically you shouldn't show signs of "burnout". If you like taking breaks then by all means take them. If you take a break to rethink your handicapping then maybe you are not suited for this occupation. OMHO -NDJ

I dont agree-people get burned out in all kinds of jobs and need to get away and refresh their comittment.
Or find a new paradigm. These are the people that last in the long run. The world changes and you have to realize when you need to stop and re-think your startegy.
Tom