PDA

View Full Version : HTR Software

Judicious Player
02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I was just wondering if anyone is having success with HTR, Ken Massa's software program.

So far, great customer service. Nothing negative to say about the people running the place. A great staff.

I signed up out of curiosity. A friend of mine from Sam's Town uses it.

I have had the service for only two months, and I have not yet bet off of it. I am in a study mode right now.

Frankly, I do not find it very predictive, but I am admittedly clueless when it comes to using it. (I realize that many tournament players do quite well with it. Even Ken himself, which is refreshing.)

If anyone out there has any insights to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone has angle on how best to implement it into one's toolbox . . . ?

Thank you in advance.

JustRalph
02-05-2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.homebased2.com/forums/

Judicious Player
02-05-2009, 01:19 AM
http://www.homebased2.com/forums/

Thank you.

Judicious Player
02-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Found the insight @ HTR's own forum:

"Will have much more today later when things calm down including a run down of our picks in the tournament. But as you might have guessed, we used the 'Massa strategy', saving all the bullets for late in the day and firing at those low Vi races."

Awesome!!!

Thanks again, JustRalph

Judicious Player
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I was just wondering if anyone is having success with HTR, Ken Massa's software program.

So far, great customer service. Nothing negative to say about the people running the place. A great staff.

I signed up out of curiosity. A friend of mine from Sam's Town uses it.

I have had the service for only two months, and I have not yet bet off of it. I am in a study mode right now.

Frankly, I do not find it very predictive, but I am admittedly clueless when it comes to using it. (I realize that many tournament players do quite well with it. Even Ken himself, which is refreshing.)

If anyone out there has any insights to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone has angle on how best to implement it into one's toolbox . . . ?

Thank you in advance.

I have learned since this post, from other HTR users, that HTR is quite predictive indeed. Like all sofware, however, it is not a magic formula; it is, instead, another tool to use.

That said, I can already tell that there is power in HTR in finding playable races and unplayable races. Each race is labeled with an indicator that suggests the race will be chalky or . . . not so chalky . . . i.e., will be won by a non-favorite, or perhaps a price horse . . . Some races are labeled "chaos" (where the favorite has less than a 15% chance of winning) and those races will be of the most interest to me . . . Races that the software earmarks as chalky will be avoided altogether --- or, an obvious horse will be used in such a race as a Pick 4 anchor . . .

This Vi designation (which is what it is called) is, in and of itself, worth the monthly subscription price . . .

JustRalph
02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Have fun.......... :ThmbUp:

jhilden
02-05-2009, 08:26 PM
The VI, or Volitility Index (I think that is what it is), is a good indicator to start checking for races that have a vulnerable favorite. The K Factor and HTR # differentials help also. You are on the right track. The bad thing with HTR is that you easily can go into overload mode and contradict yourself very easily with all that information.

Run the robot with different VI ranges and see what works for different tracks and how the top rated horses fared.

Judicious Player
02-06-2009, 12:34 AM
The VI, or Volitility Index (I think that is what it is), is a good indicator to start checking for races that have a vulnerable favorite. The K Factor and HTR # differentials help also. You are on the right track. The bad thing with HTR is that you easily can go into overload mode and contradict yourself very easily with all that information.

Run the robot with different VI ranges and see what works for different tracks and how the top rated horses fared.

Thanks for the input, and I get what you say about overload.

While I do well at the track today, it seemed a lot simpler in the late 70s and early 80s. No information overload and no exotic overload. Daily Doubles and Exactas and no Internet.

BigJake
02-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I've really been looking at HTR or just buying DRF single files four or five at a time. Someone needs to really sell me on HTR. I know there are probably 1000s of post on HTR, but this is the one I've found to latch on to. With the DRF files I can set up the PPs the way I want and use data to crunch different angles in excel. Why is HTR better than that?

RichieP
02-06-2009, 05:39 AM
I've really been looking at HTR or just buying DRF single files four or five at a time. Someone needs to really sell me on HTR.

Morning Jake
It might be better if you convince yourself that the software is worth the monthly outlay for data files. This way the appreciation of it's power comes from within.

The free demo and Mr. Massa's willingness to give folks a free day or 2 of live races hopefully helps to accomplish that.

Hope everyone out in Bluegrass country is recovering from the wild ice storms that have hit there.

All the best :)

Tom
02-06-2009, 07:42 AM
You are comparing PPs to information. HTR is far more than PPs.
There is a free demo, try it and see what it is all about.

DanG
02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Morning Jake
It might be better if you convince yourself that the software is worth the monthly outlay for data files. This way the appreciation of it's power comes from within.

The free demo and Mr. Massa's willingness to give folks a free day or 2 of live races hopefully helps to accomplish that.

Well put Richie;

Addressing a few other posts…

As far as PP’s; if you have any MS Access knowledge and / or Excel, you can create custom PP’s that are far superior to anything I’ve seen.

Too many variables and / or too complicated: That is in the eye of the beholder and I can see where it would get some in trouble. IMO: that is more an end user function then that of the program. You can use most software (and certainty HTR) in a very basic way if you choose, but I like having as many options as possible for the monthly fee and then deciding what the wheat from the chaff is.

After using both sheet services, DRF for many years, exporting from the original Formulator, countless home grown approaches; the use of software (HTR) has convinced me it needs to be tried for a minimum of 6 months (roughly the price of 2.67 grocery orders) to determine if it’s really for you.

In talking to new users it’s very similar to the Len Friedman seminar I went to many years ago. (I’m paraphrasing from memory)

He said there were normally 3 stages of development in sheet users…

1. Often / almost instant success just betting fast / fit horses at reasonable odds.
2. A significant drop in returns while complicating the process through esoteric pattern reading.
3. A return to success as a balance is reached between past and current experience.

The software learning curve can be very similar. Some will get off to a flying start and then sometimes I’ll read a post in 4 weeks as to “what went wrong”. Others will have information overload immediately and they will shut down. Still others will wonder where its been all their lives.

People can tell you from now until our extended nap and it won’t replace hands on experience. Just try and narrow your focus in the beginning; there is always time to expand your game and 4 years in I’m learning new things literally every day.

BigJake
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Morning Jake

Hope everyone out in Bluegrass country is recovering from the wild ice storms that have hit there.

All the best :)

Thanks Richie. My part of the state really just got a thin layer of ice. We were right on the edge of disaster. Just 30 minutes west of us there are some that will be without power and water for almost a month by the time it is all said and done.

I think Dan is getting to the core of my true question. With all of the PP information set up in my spreadsheet, I can calculate "fps" and rank horses accordingly by the different segments of the race. I've heard to really be able to use the software that it takes 6 months or so to learn (like Dan said, years to really master).

I've used the old MPH software and I know there are drastic difference in HTR and MPH, but its based on the same principles, right? What can you really do in HTR that makes it worth the monthly fee? I don't want to sound "belittling" and sometimes its hard to express your true sentiments on a board. I am truly thinking about using this program. I am just very concerned about the outlay.

Jake

DanG
02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
What can you really do in HTR that makes it worth the monthly fee? I don't want to sound "belittling" and sometimes its hard to express your true sentiments on a board. I am truly thinking about using this program. I am just very concerned about the outlay.

Jake
I agree with you Jake; these can be tough things to discuss in print.

As far as the monthly fee goes; we are talking about less then $4 a day for every single track in North America. In the data world that is incredibly under priced as Ron Tiller (HDW) / and Massa know very well.

That includes… (Off the top of my ‘got to bed at 3:30am head)

• Results
• Charts
• PP’s
• Advanced Proprietary ratings (Fitness rating, Pedigree, Contender grades etc…)
• FPS-Velocity Numbers
• Quirin Style Pace & Speed Figures
• Cramer’s “Beyer style” Figures
• Track Profiles
• Auto Download / and Auto Scratch
• HDW cleans the Equibase data before HTR receives it. (This is huge btw)
• Tons of trainer data and unique displays.
• Virtually unlimited exporting features.
• Stand alone research program (for those who don’t want to export)
• Stand Alone Velocity / Match-up program

I could go on and on; but as we discussed before; until a user goes hands on, I don’t think the printed word makes an impact.

The time it takes for Tiller / Cramer / Massa (and this goes for all the HDW family of programmers) have devoted to their work is just remarkable. The fee’s charged are the greatest value to the semi-serious player I’m aware of.

Of course were talking about nuts and bolts here and there are some things you just can’t put a price on. Being able to talk directly to the programmer’s creator (who is a serious and excellent player himself) is invaluable.

Setting aside < $4 a day until our TC is over will be worth 10,000 posts of this kind and will provide a fair test imo. Even if you don’t take the plunge I feel every player would benefit from reading the newsletters archived on their site.

http://www.homebased2.com/km/library.htm#newsletters

Either way; best of luck with your choice.

Tom
02-06-2009, 10:32 AM
And, we teach you the secret handshake! :cool:

DanG
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
And, we teach you the secret handshake! :cool:
LOL Tom… :lol:

Here’s a classified pic from the last HTR seminar…

http://www.cuckoobird.net/images/simpsons_handshake.jpg

Red Knave
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I've used the old MPH software and I know there are drastic difference in HTR and MPH, but its based on the same principles, right? And a 1974 Lada and a 2010 Ferrari are based on the same principles.

I don't use HTR but I know several who do and they would all be willing salesmen. But if you need convincing, as Richie says, you are the one to do it. Without doing that, you will always have someone else to blame if you fail.

I am paying a similar monthly outlay for my data and I haven't bet a live race since Breeders Cup. It's worth it to me to have complete data going back several years. If you are concerned about the outlay, then you also need to convince yourself that it's worth it, no one else can do that.

Donnie
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Someone needs to really sell me on HTR.

Not gonna do it. Even Massa would not do this.

I think Dan is getting to the core of my true question. With all of the PP information set up in my spreadsheet, I can calculate "fps" and rank horses accordingly by the different segments of the race. I've heard to really be able to use the software that it takes 6 months or so to learn (like Dan said, years to really master).

I've used the old MPH software and I know there are drastic difference in HTR and MPH, but its based on the same principles, right? What can you really do in HTR that makes it worth the monthly fee? I don't want to sound "belittling" and sometimes its hard to express your true sentiments on a board. I am truly thinking about using this program. I am just very concerned about the outlay.

Dan went on to note some of the differences available to HTR subscribers. On his list is the Advanced Proprietary ratings (Fitness rating, Pedigree, Contender grades etc…). To me, this is what really sets HTR apart from just a data provider service. Ken is constantly pushing the envelope on new thoughts, approaches, ratings and updates, as many others in the HDW data programmers family seem to be doing as well. Nothing wrong with dropping raw data into a spreadsheet and working the data into the same core ratings. But today's HTR2 program has left MPH in the dust years ago. I would not subscribe to HTR if all the user is looking for are the FR1, FR2, SP, AP, LP ratings found in EVERY program available to man. (I would wager my mortgage Ken would say the same!) But what is available in HTR above and beyond that is rather unique.

Six months to learn...? Maybe for some. I know of quite a few people who took to it like a duck to water. Like any other analysis, you get out of it what you put into it.

Richie is correct. And before you ask for a free test spin on a weekend from Ken, download and install the program and get a feel for navigating around the program using the free files that come with it upon installation. Also, on this page = http://www.homebased2.com/km/htr.htm you can download the Breeder's Cup files for the past 7 or 8 years. These are more demo files to help get a working feel before you try the live test drive. (I heard from one person once who made enough money his trial weekend it paid for a year's worth of data...not gonna happen to everyone. It's a combination of the tool and craftsman.)

Either way, best of luck in your endeavours! And along with Richie's shout-out = hope all you folks in KY are getting a thaw! Ice is a real b*tch if you have never experienced a REAL ice storm. Imagine over an inch of ice covering EVERYTHING!!!! Well many parts got much more than an inch!!

As a side = Someday I need to change my handle over here. Looking at my name you would think I have a vested interest in HTR's success. I do not (have a vested interest that is!). I am just a long time subscriber in a very happy place. How easy is it to change one's handle? Or do I just sign up under a new account?

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I can change your handle...shoot me a PM or email with the new name you'd like.

Judicious Player
02-08-2009, 03:56 AM
To me, handicapping is both art and science. HTR is science and my application of it is art (hopefully :) ).

I've been using HTR two months and I find that it clears the fog for me in a lot of races. Most races, though, I do not see all that clearly, and, when I don't, I just watch the race without a wager. Frankly, 9 out 10 races do not speak to me all that clearly, with or without HTR, but I only bother with the ones that do. (Hence, my moniker.)

But, speaking of price, I see guys spend $33 on The Sheets every day, which, to me, are over-priced final-time figures that lend little insight into how a race might unfold. Lend little insight into the impact of pedigree. Lend little insight into the impact of human connections.

I liken Sheet players to members of a cult, who think, because they are spending $33 a day, that they have the best final-time figure money can buy, when a final-time figure, more often than not, is irrelevant in and of itself.

Obviously, I digress.

That said, the $122 a month I pay (via PayPal) for HTR is a decided bargain.

cmoore
02-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Try Breedingwinners.com...
All the pedigree information you'll need and it's totally free.
Check out the daily race reports. Sire, Broodmare sire and Trainer reports.
Also take a look at the Top Sire Lists. These lists are great when betting maiden races.

BigJake
02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
I've downloaded the free software and run some of the free files. Anyone got time to tell me what I am looking at? I read the 3 pages PDF and got some of the general stuff.

jhilden
02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Go to the HTR website and click on the library link. There is plenty of info to getting started. Would love to answer your question but there is so much info in HTR, you need to be more specific. The program can put you in overload real fast. For now keep on the "Program" screen (Default veiw) and check out the numbers. The literature on the HTR website will fill you in on how to read the figures on this page.

Also, on the HTR discussion board, any questions you have will be responded to in detail. If deciding to use HTR, a months worth of readings will get you up to speed fast

Tom
02-10-2009, 02:09 PM
There is some screen by screen stuff on the web site....I'll pint it out when I get home tonight. What is your handicapping method right now....good place to start is with what you know now, and see what they have you use out of the box, then expand outward. If you are familiar with Brohamer's stuff, go to the VEL screen for Sartin type velocity ratings. If you use pace and speed figs, go to PPQ screen - PPs with a Quirin style pace and speed fig for each line, both race and horse. Fig 1 is a sheets style screen as is Fig2 and Fig 3.