PDA

View Full Version : Daschle Should Withdraw

Bubba X
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Like a lot of people, I've been audited and taken through the wringer over a couple thousand bucks. How does ANYONE not only get away with not paying $100,000+ in taxes but only has to do so after getting tabbed for a huge job?

These Senators -- all of them -- act and live like royalty. Guy owes more in taxes than most people can ever hope to earn in a year. "I'm sorry" should not be good enough.

He should withdraw. The NYTimes agrees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/opinion/03tue1.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Tom
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Where is the penalty for this guy? :mad:

ArlJim78
02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
hey, he already said he was sorry. what more do you want.

jballscalls
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
did he pay the money he owes yet?

Tom
02-03-2009, 10:56 AM

10% plus interest.
Then an arrest warrant.

See if you can find a transcipt of the Schnitt Show yesterday.....good stuff about what a total crook this guy has been, including profiteering off of 9-11.

ArlJim78
02-03-2009, 11:02 AM
10% plus interest.
Then an arrest warrant.

See if you can find a transcipt of the Schnitt Show yesterday.....good stuff about what a total crook this guy has been, including profiteering off of 9-11.
doesn't surprise me, he has no doubt cashed in on his "former speaker" title as well. I could never stand this guy. he's one of the leading poster-childs for what's wrong with government.

boxcar
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Exactly! And he really meant it because he was very sorry he got caught!

Boxcar

ddog
02-03-2009, 12:37 PM
many have used 9/11 to profit.
that's not the point.

that's where the talk shows and msm run wild and then everything becomes equal.

evading taxes , profit from 9/11 all the same.

one is clearly illegal.
drawing rational distinctions, nuance if you will is not to be scorned.

imo.

Tom
02-03-2009, 12:38 PM
The way he did it is.

jognlope
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
How come IRS didn't levy his salary, is what I want to know. They manage to take the little peoples, leaving them with $628 per month to live on, which effectively makes them homeless.

lsbets
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Given the rampant corruption only two weeks into the administration and their obvious thought that they are above the law, I think Obama should resign.

ArlJim78
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
just heard on the radio that he withdrew himself from the nomination.

now he can go back to the big money and not paying taxes again.

Rookies
02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
As I said elsewhere...

"Part of the transition or morphing of this attitude relates to the fact that it would appear that formerly, there were men and women of honour. If disgraced in carrying out the will of the people, they resigned- immediately.

In former eras, certainly up to the 1990s, a lot of nodding and winking went on in western society- especially if the politician, sports athlete, movie star or CEO was one of your own, that is on your side.

Now, ANY action you have taken during one day inappropriately, will likely be on the Internet in 6 hours ! There is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, so unless you're 75 years old or over, you better think real carefully about trying to hide anything at all BEFORE you do it. It's perhaps, only this constant threat of public outing that will even keep these people slightly in check.

I believe one of the principle pillars of Obama's presidency is to begin to change this entire rotten culture of take, take, take, but as we have seen, he can't even find 100% of his appointments that haven't decided to take the low road. I fear that he will have very, very few supporters to assist him on both sides, due to this disgusting culture of entitlement."

Tom
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Good ridence.

ddog
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
levy,, he wasn't drawing a salary as you think of it.
in his type of deal you have to declare and pay your taxes , if you don't you can ride it out until the IRS who is vastly unable to track down this kind of stuff finally comes calling.

That he withdrew is no great shakes to me, he should never have tried to slink in.

Now , when will the even worse Geithner withdraw?
Never of course.
The dollars are not the same but the obvious incompetence Geithtner has displayed along with the tax stuff should be enough.

LEave now you scum!

prospector
02-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Given the rampant corruption only two weeks into the administration and their obvious thought that they are above the law, I think Obama should resign.
"a more ethical, responsible and special interest-free administration"??

lsbets
02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
"a more ethical, responsible and special interest-free administration"??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
02-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Tommy-Baby should now be prosecuted.
If it were you or me......

The message I am getting is no one should bother paying taxes anymore, after all, by his action, the Messiah is condoning, no, REWARDING it.

Oh, the next 4 years are going to be soooooooo much fun!

Rookies
02-03-2009, 02:55 PM
levy,, he wasn't drawing a salary as you think of it.
in his type of deal you have to declare and pay your taxes , if you don't you can ride it out until the IRS who is vastly unable to track down this kind of stuff finally comes calling.That he withdrew is no great shakes to me, he should never have tried to slink in.

Now , when will the even worse Geithner withdraw?
Never of course.
The dollars are not the same but the obvious incompetence Geithtner has displayed along with the tax stuff should be enough.

LEave now you scum!

Here's the real question, ddog. Given how rotten this culture has become, is it even possible to find highly qualified, intelligent appointees who are clean ?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Show Me the Wire
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I applaud Mr. Obama's innovative procedure, of using the lure of nomination, to collect taxes from former governmet workers. :rolleyes:

riskman
02-03-2009, 04:19 PM
There is no way Tom D is qualified to be a Cabinet Secy. He was not even clever enough to beat the IRS-- the criminal syndicate which imposes taxation without representation or accountability. Taxation exists for the purpose of social manipulation through redistribution of wealth, not to pay the operating costs of government. Taxation is an instrument of intimidation and AND THEFT AND ALL LEGAL MEANS SHOULD BE USED TO AVOID PAYING TAXES.

The Judge
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
paying taxes? What have I been missing in the tax code. Nancy Killefer withdraws. http://www.drudge.com/news/117420/obama-nominee-withdraws-over-tax-problem.

You all maybe sharp handicappers but it is clear you are novices when it comes to paying taxes or should I say "not" paying taxes. Maybe you all do know the secret and aren't telling me.

prospector
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
I applaud Mr. Obama's innovative procedure, of using the lure of nomination, to collect taxes from former governmet workers. :rolleyes:
we could balance the budget with irs audits of all government employees..past and present...lets start with congress..

ddog
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Here's the real question, ddog. Given how rotten this culture has become, is it even possible to find highly qualified, intelligent appointees who are clean ?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Yes! We can.

i think anyway....

they are just hobbled by looking in the same old places.

:lol:

ArlJim78
02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
we could balance the budget with irs audits of all government employees..past and present...lets start with congress..
now you're talking, they should all be audited and made to pay up. not only will that be a start to pay down the debt, but then lets see how many come out and boldly call for paying taxes because its patriotic, or claim that the rich should pay more. easy for these guys to shoot off their mouths about what other people should pay, why not if it doesn't pertain to them?

JustRalph
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
No wonder Dems are all for Tax increases..........

Hell, they don't pay them anyway

NJ Stinks
02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
We know Daschle made $5.3M in the last two years -2006 and 2007 - that he reported. Owing $140,000 is a drop in the bucket when you look at his total tax liability over the last couple years. The guy was in the top tax bracket - 35%. If his taxable income was $2M after deductions in 2006 and 2007, he reported and paid around $672,000 each year. That's $1,344,000 in federal income tax reported and paid in those years. $140,000 means he underpaid by just over 9% ($1,344,000/$1,478,400 < what he should have paid) in 2006 and 2007.

If you are I underpaid under 10% of our total tax liability, we certainly would not feel like we screwed the system. In fact, if we paid what Daschle paid, we would probably think we are doing more for this country than 98% of our fellow citizens.

What bothers me with Daschle is how Daschle earned that money - especially the $220,000 for speeches to health-care companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and insurers. That was his real Achilles' Heel.:ThmbDown:

Anyway, the point is comments like why should I pay taxes if Daschle can get away with it or PA Tom's comment - "Tommy-Baby should now be prosecuted. If it were you or me......" - are "misguided" at best! :rolleyes: Nobody gets prosecuted by the IRS for anything so trivial.

JustRalph
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
We know Daschle made $5.3M in the last two years -2006 and 2007 - that he reported. Owing $140,000 is a drop in the bucket when you look at his total tax liability over the last couple years. The guy was in the top tax bracket - 35%. If his taxable income was $2M after deductions in 2006 and 2007, he reported and paid around $672,000 each year. That's $1,344,000 in federal income tax reported and paid in those years. $140,000 means he underpaid by just over 9% ($1,344,000/$1,478,400 < what he should have paid) in 2006 and 2007.

If you are I underpaid under 10% of our total tax liability, we certainly would not feel like we screwed the system. In fact, if we paid what Daschle paid, we would probably think we are doing more for this country than 98% of our fellow citizens.

What bothers me with Daschle is how Daschle earned that money - especially the $220,000 for speeches to health-care companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and insurers. That was his real Achilles' Heel.:ThmbDown:

Anyway, the point is comments like why should I pay taxes if Daschle can get away with it or PA Tom's comment - "Tommy-Baby should now be prosecuted. If it were you or me......" - are "misguided" at best! :rolleyes: Nobody gets prosecuted by the IRS for anything so trivial.

ok, everybody on Pace Advantage pay 10 percent less than you owe on April 15th.............let's see how that goes..............

Rookies
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes! We can.

i think anyway....

they are just hobbled by looking in the same old places.

:lol:

We'll see in the future.

Take America's latest Golden Boy- one hit on the bong and he won't even be endorsing an Edsel in the future !:lol:

If you do ANYTHING today, you better be closeted in your bathroom, because by dinner a billion people will have seen it... by midnight.. all the parodies will be rolling.

Very hard to be without any sin today..

PaceAdvantage
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I wonder how Obama is going to handle things when the really tough job of actually being President kicks in...

ezrabrooks
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I wonder how Obama is going to handle things when the really tough job of actually being President kicks in...

Yeah...I don't think that "I screwed up" excuse is gonna fly much longer. He looks like he has aged since taking office.

Ez

trying2win
02-04-2009, 02:28 AM
If I remember correctly in both these cases...first, after watching Tim Geithner on the TV news explaining why he didn't pay the proper amount of income tax, he said..."It was a 'MISTAKE'. Secondly, lo and behold just a short while later, Tom Daschle comes on TV explaining a similar theme of not paying the correct amount of income tax..."It was a MISTAKE' then Tom Dashchle added... "It was 'INADVERVENT'..."

I wonder what our respective Federal Government Income Tax Departments would say to us lower-paid, average citizens if we did the same thing...i.e. underpay our income tax....Would the phrase ..."It was a MISTAKE' suffice so as to avoid paying a stiff fine and/or jail time? I"m just wondering.

By the way, did either Geithner or Daschle pay any fine for the shortfall in their income tax payments? I didn't hear anything about any possible jail time for either of these characters.

T2W

Lefty
02-04-2009, 02:55 AM
well, he withdrew. Big trouble is besides the car, he didn't pay taxes on about 80,000 he got paid from a lobbying firm. Guess that was a mstk too. Oh, and he knew about all this last June, but he didn't pay until he got this nomination.
Bye bye, Tom and don't let the door be tainted by your lying butt.

Tom
02-04-2009, 07:45 AM
And they talked about Sara Palin.....:lol:

The Judge
02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Wonder what arguement his lawyer used to get him on home detention in addition to "he was sick" which don't fly in most court houses ? Oh yeah they could use the posts on this topic. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090204/en_nm/us_francis_4

Come oooon Wesley.

ddog
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
ok, everybody on Pace Advantage pay 10 percent less than you owe on April 15th.............let's see how that goes..............

you will be audited and made to pay plus fines and interest, you will not be thrown in jail or prosecuted if you pay or make arrangements to pay.

The IRS even holds/offers tax deadbeat holidays and all kinds of workouts, they realize they do not have the resources to track down anywhere close to the fraud that goes on.

The stuff hidden overseas is 100X worse than any of this.

that's the law, what we have left of it anyway.

One can only hope that more and more just refuse to pay , soon the system will go away, they can't handle mass revolt across the population.

it's a shot anyway.

Show Me the Wire
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Nomination lure worked again. This time collected some debt at least 16 years old. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/02/05/solis_senate_session_canceled.html?hpid=topnews

Keep it up Mr. Obama :ThmbUp:

Admittedly, a small amount, but every bit helps.