PDA

View Full Version : Obama, The epitome of prevarication

JustRalph
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
This is a man who said "no lobbyist" and issued an exec order to that effect and now goes to bat for one of the biggest Lobbyist's in Washington. Don't forget about his wife either............

PROMISES, PROMISES: No lobbyists at WH, except ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_reform_promises_2

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama promised a "clean break from business as usual" in Washington. It hasn't quite worked out that way.

From the start, he made exceptions to his no-lobbyist rule. And now, embarrassing details about Cabinet-nominee Tom Daschle's tax problems and big paychecks from special interest groups are raising new questions about the reach and sweep of the new president's promised reforms.

Maybe he shouldn't have promised so much, some open-government advocates say. They're willing to cut him some slack — for now.
* I am sure they would do this for Bush or any other Republican, huh?

On Jan. 21, the day after his inauguration, Obama issued an executive order barring any former lobbyists who join his administration from dealing with matters or agencies related to their lobbying work. Nor could they join agencies they had lobbied in the previous two years.

However, William J. Lynn III, his choice to become the No. 2 official at the Defense Department, recently lobbied for military contractor Raytheon. And William Corr, tapped as deputy secretary at Health and Human Services, lobbied through most of last year as an anti-tobacco advocate. Corr says he will take no part in tobacco matters in the new administration.

"Even the toughest rules require reasonable exceptions," said White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

That was a big step back from Obama's unambiguous swipe at lobbyists in November 2007, while campaigning for the Democratic presidential nomination. "I don't take a dime of their money," he said, "and when I am president, they won't find a job in my White House."

more at the link

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/11/daschles_lobbyist_wife_might_c.html

Daschle's new position might be complicated by his wife, Linda Hall Daschle, who is a registered lobbyist with the Washington firm of Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz. (Roll Call and The Post are reporting that Linda Daschle is set to leave the firm and open her own shop focusing on transportation in January. "Although she does not have health care industry clients, the company does represent numerous health interests," The Post reports, referring to Baker, Donelson.)

At her current firm, she counts American Airlines, Boeing, Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, Lockheed Martin and L3 Communications among her clients, according to her online biography. She has been called a "major lobbying force" by associates, according to The Hill, and The New York Times said she is one of the "most influential professional lobbyists in the capital."

Linda Daschle, a former acting administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration, mainly lobbies for aerospace and airline industry clients, but has worked for some health care-related firms in the past, Senate lobbying disclosure reports show.

She was one of a few Baker Donelson lobbyists on accounts for the pharmaceutical company Amgen Inc. and cigarette makers Lorillard Tobacco and Philip Morris Cos. in 1999.

more on Daschles wife at the link

ddog
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
regan got plenty of slack.
bush, well he got some but soon showed he didn't merit any.

boxcar
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
regan got plenty of slack.
bush, well he got some but soon showed he didn't merit any.

Yeah...and Prez BO will get plenty of slack, because if you don't cut him any you're a racist.

Boxcar

HUSKER55
02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
No I'm not and BO is still a jerk

boxcar
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
No I'm not and BO is still a jerk

You're a racist! :lol: :lol:

Boxcar