PDA

View Full Version : Obama leaves Rendition on the Menu.....

JustRalph
02-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Obama is allowing Rendition, but promises no torture? So why the hell does he need to move them? Why can't they be held where they are? This stinks to high heaven.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-rendition1-2009feb01,0,7548176,full.story

Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool
The role of the CIA's controversial prisoner-transfer program may expand, intelligence experts say.
By Greg Miller
February 1, 2009
Reporting from Washington -- The CIA's secret prisons are being shuttered. Harsh interrogation techniques are off-limits. And Guantanamo Bay will eventually go back to being a wind-swept naval base on the southeastern corner of Cuba.

But even while dismantling these programs, President Obama left intact an equally controversial counter-terrorism tool.
"Obviously you need to preserve some tools -- you still have to go after the bad guys," said an Obama administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity when discussing the legal reasoning. "The legal advisors working on this looked at rendition. It is controversial in some circles and kicked up a big storm in Europe. But if done within certain parameters, it is an acceptable practice." * He left out, if there is a Dem Prez in charge
"Under limited circumstances, there is a legitimate place" for renditions, said Tom Malinowski, the Washington advocacy director for Human Rights Watch. "What I heard loud and clear from the president's order was that they want to design a system that doesn't result in people being sent to foreign dungeons to be tortured -- but that designing that system is going to take some time."

More at the link

Funny how Human Rights Watch wasn't so open minded about Rendition when Bushie was Prez. Why the hell is it alright for Obama to fly them anywhere in the world........to "HOLD THEM TEMPORARILY" ?

It is apparently ok for a Liberal/Dem President to Rendition them, but not a Republican. BTW, in case you didn't know. Rendition was started by Bill Clinton. Which apparently was Ok, because he was a Dem. :bang:

For Reference:
http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2005/03/09/statement-us-rendition-legislation
From the Link above:
Rendition to torture is the legal and moral equivalent of engaging in torture directly.

Wendy Patten, U.S. Advocacy Director for Human Rights Watch

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2006/11/28/cia-abuses-eu-report-condemns-european-complicity
From Above Link:
The report shows how European governments acted as the willing facilitators of CIA abuses such as secret detention and rendition to torture. European governments must now investigate these abuses fully and take steps to ensure that they do not happen again.
Joanne Mariner, terrorism and counterterrorism director at Human Rights Watch

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2008/11/09/ethiopia-releases-eight-kenyan-rendition-victims

From Above:
Ethiopia Releases Eight Kenyan Rendition Victims
November 9, 2008
Two days after Human Rights Watch issued a report on Ethiopia's detention of rendition victims without charge, Ethiopia released eight of the nine detained Kenyan men. These men had been held by Ethiopian authorities without charge for more than 20 months. The wide international media coverage our report generated appeared to push Kenya and Ethiopia to a tipping point, leading the two countries to negotiate the detainees' release. Our report examines the 2007 rendition from Kenya to Somalia and then to Ethiopia of at least 90 men, women, and children from 18 countries who were fleeing the armed conflict in Somalia. CIA and FBI agents interviewed several of the rendered detainees in Ethiopia, making the United States complicit in the abuse of these detainees. Human Rights Watch was able to interview by phone several of the now-released detainees while they were in Ethiopian custody. We documented the treatment of these men, as well as the previously unreported experiences of other recently released detainees, several of whom were brutally tortured. The whereabouts of at least 22 other detainees remains unknown. We will continue to exert pressure on the Ethiopian government for their release.

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2006/06/26/europe-governments-must-end-renditions-illegal-detentions?print
From the Above Link:

Europe: Governments Must End Renditions, Illegal Detentions
As the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe prepares today to debate Dick Marty’s finding of a CIA “spider’s web” of renditions and detentions involving European states, Human Rights Watch and three other human rights organizations set out a program of 12 recommendations to European governments. The goal of the program is to ensure that the violations of fundamental human rights caused by renditions and illegal detentions are not allowed to happen again.

“European governments should be ashamed of their participation in illegal detentions and must end their involvement at once,” said Joanne Mariner, director of the Terrorism and Counterterrorism Program at Human Rights Watch. “They should also press the United States to end these practices immediately.”

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2007/02/21/us-10-steps-restore-moral-authority?print

From the Link Above:
US: 10 Steps to Restore Moral Authority
February 21, 2007
Congress should adopt a 10-step plan to reverse the Bush administration’s detention and interrogation policies, a coalition of human rights, civil liberties and religious groups said in a letter sent today to the Congressional leadership.

First on the agenda is the restoration of access to courts for detainees to bring habeas corpus challenges – the age-old protection against the arbitrary exercise of executive power. Among other things, the coalition also calls on Congress to enact legislation that would stop renditions to torture; permanently ban the use of secret prisons; and prohibit the use in any adjudicative proceedings of evidence obtained through coercion and abusive interrogation practices, including in the newly authorized military commissions.

“For the last five years, the Bush administration has ignored the rule of law,” said Jennifer Daskal, US advocacy director at Human Rights Watch. “It has authorized abusive interrogations, indefinite secret detention without charge, and rendition to torture – all practices Washington condemned when carried out by others.”

Tom
02-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I believe he is leaving that door open to his opposition here at home.
IT has been done before........

Lefty
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Change we can Believe In? The only change, as Ralph says is how it's treated now that we have a Dim President.

Tom
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Bush rendition = bad
Obama rendition = good

Bush tribunals = bad
Obama tribunals = good.

Hmmmmm, that is the only change I see so far. We used to call it flip flopping.

JustRalph
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Damn, the silence in here is deafening

Lefty
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Rendition, ok under Clinton. Not ok under Bush. Okay again under Obama.
am i detecting a bias? Nah, must be my imagination.

Hank
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
:sleeping:

JustRalph
02-03-2009, 12:21 AM

It sure wasn't a snoozer when Bush was doing it. Obvious Hypocrisy and abject Duplicitous behavior on your part and your brethren..............

boxcar
02-03-2009, 12:45 AM

Do you know that your mind is always in that mode?

Boxcar

Hank
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
It sure wasn't a snoozer when Bush was doing it. Obvious Hypocrisy and abject Duplicitous behavior on your part and your brethren..............

Interesting.. I was thinking the very same thing about you 22%ers.You Bawl and whine no matter which way the wind blows.If the headline was"Obama discontinues renditions" the same 22% crew posting here would be bawling and whining that we will shortly be overrun by al queda because this soft Dem pres did away with renditions.heads you win tails I lose...Gotcha.:faint:

Tom
02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Nice to see you have such strong convictions.....

ddog
02-03-2009, 09:51 AM

detecting :lol:

Bubba X
02-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Nope. I am always good with rendition. No problem with it. Leave it to the Egyptians and our other friendlies. Frankly, they are better at it than we are anyways.

Tom
02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
So if WE do it, it is bad, but if we let someone else do it for us it is ok?
That include water boarding?

Isn't this outsourcing American jobs? :rolleyes:

Bubba X
02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
So if WE do it, it is bad, but if we let someone else do it for us it is ok?
That include water boarding?

Isn't this outsourcing American jobs? :rolleyes:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

Lefty
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
bubba, Rendition ok with me too, no matter who does it. I'm speaking of the hypocrisy exhibited by the media and elected dims.