PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys

cmoore
02-01-2009, 04:23 AM
There's a new show on the animal planet starting Feb. 6th..
Here's the link..http://animal.discovery.com/tv/jockeys/

098poi
02-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for posting this! Here is a link from your link which has a few preview clips.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/jockeys/video/video.html

Cangamble
02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Here is the longer promo version:
rUGlMgM1iGk

BUD
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
i think this show looks good--i think 24 was last tv show that i was excited to see. now add this one.

point given
02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Here's the first review of it from ttimes.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2009/February/04/Jockeys-conveys-drama-of-race-riding.aspx

W2G
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
More here...

http://ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=17&year=2009&month=2&day=3

colonial
02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
will it be available for podcasts.

JustRalph
02-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't know who Kayla Stra is dating, but she needs a new boyfriend

andicap
02-06-2009, 10:06 AM
and the AP story

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5goLXB5wwVfZeUxeEkU2VMgduA3kwD96629B01

hopes it gets over here.

BUD
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Anyone with Direct TV what channel is aninal planet

Buddha
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I got it set to DVR since I will probably forget about it.

JustRalph
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone with Direct TV what channel is aninal planet

watch Animal Planet in the Charlotte area on DIRECTV Channel: 282

not sure if it's the same.........but give it a whirl

BUD
02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Who is this Kyla Stra

Ralph would you be kinda nuff to share with the less fortunate-----

I gott0 start watchin Cali again-----All I can think is she can clean my weap--forget it

Remember those days---This is my weapon this is my gun......man----I remember running past old folk sing that while I was be ((that guy)) doing circles around the rest leading in song and other thing------

Talk about shtty days i MISS---THIS ONE'S FOR SHOOTING THIS ONE IS FOR FUN.;...HAHA....remember how raunchy----

We had one clown sing real loud by a church---We spent the next 2 hours whispering raunchy songs in the churches parking lot while running---while the pastor looked on------The drill--Pastor can you hear my men---The dumb Pastor not getting the game---why yes a little-----oh shtttt---drop give me 100 lets try it lower----pastor how about know---yes a little---drop and give me 175------------back to hell then finally---pastor can you hear my men oh no no---

we get back the drill you men are a bunch of pss y--------u know-----you cant even sing loud enough for a sick catholic priest----drop and give me 250 while your singing loud--

i pray this offended no one--------i have no idea how kyla stra could make me think that-------on 2nd thought---maybe i do----i blame Ralph

lilmegahertz
02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Just when I vow never to watch Animal Planet again because they took off Meerkat Manor and Lemur Kingdom they lure me back with this. Oh well, I guess everybody deserves a second chance.

thespaah
02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
watch Animal Planet in the Charlotte area on DIRECTV Channel: 282

not sure if it's the same.........but give it a whirl
Dish Network Ch184

Marshall Bennett
02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I've parked my stool right in front of the tv , have whip in hand , I'm ready to roll !!

Donnie
02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
if you missed it, it is on again at 10:00 Central time.

Donnie
02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
oops...that might be another in a series!

pktruckdriver
02-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Could somebody tape it for an old truckdriver , please. No satelite in the truck yet.

This looks real good, actually worth watching , these little guys always fascinated me, not meant deragatory, just that jockeys, seemed so cocky, so confident and yet they have a tremendous animal beneath them , one they must control, or else.. as losing control isn't pretty.

Hope they get really real, and see how treating horses is brought out in this series, maybe even the extra time put into the early morning workouts too,

It just has national hit series all over it, take that to the bank, Yes it does.

patrick

BillW
02-06-2009, 10:01 PM
oops...that might be another in a series!

It's a replay.

rrbauer
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't know who Kayla Stra is dating, but she needs a new boyfriend

Better yet, a new agent!

DanG
02-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I hope it gets picked up after this run;

I liked it and Lord knows we can use ANY exposure we can get.

Donnie
02-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Bad news Dan. The following show, Extreme Animal Encounters, is running a "theme" tonight = Tragedies at the Track. YIKES!! Who the hell was the programming genius in running these two shows back-to-back??? :mad:

Dan Montilion
02-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I've parked my stool right in front of the tv , have whip in hand , I'm ready to roll !!Stool right in front of the tv? Bet this did not go over well with the Mrs.

Donnie
02-06-2009, 10:42 PM
oops guess it's called Untamed and Uncut.....

W2G
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Very well done. Seems like compelling viewing for both the player and the general public. Could Saratoga be next?

Too many shots with empty seats in the background at SA though. But I guess reality TV should depict reality.

JustRalph
02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Who is this Kyla Stra

in the Promo she said that winning is better than sex..............

I said, she needs a new boyfriend................

JimG
02-07-2009, 07:41 AM
in the Promo she said that winning is better than sex..............

I said, she needs a new boyfriend................

Morning Ralph,

If you have a choice of hitting a pick 4 or sex, which would you choose? :lol:

Jim

phatbastard
02-07-2009, 08:59 AM
exposure is great, i agree

i didn't know a jock is in when he/she wins a ''win and your in'' race?:rolleyes:

just another fluff piece, with some eye candy to keep some interested

Tom
02-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I've parked my stool right in front of the tv , have whip in hand , I'm ready to roll !!

:lol::lol::lol:

BUD
02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Not that BUD is a good sample....But kids--teens they watched----Bud's Mom called she watched------The Wife watched . She loved it too.....Had a couple of friends email me whom by accident call me and say that sht was interesting dangerous...They never knew---If the Jealous don't eat it cause they think it should be done there way or have them in-------If it continues like it is it should be fine--------All my connections gave it tremendous marks-----

But as I said---Who the Hell Am I?---Who cares what those in my life say or think about it--------

I hope it lasts...

Bud----We Is Er--------Spend way to much time in the ER and not enough in the stool of choice the BAR----

I hope others like it---I can see it being a positive----And maybe shaming the Parks to fill some of those empties...

Bud

Mineshaft
02-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Morning Ralph,

If you have a choice of hitting a pick 4 or sex, which would you choose? :lol:

Jim

No brainer for me-give me the Pick 4 anyday

JustRalph
02-07-2009, 07:09 PM
No brainer for me-give me the Pick 4 anyday

and you need a new girlfriend !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

we gotta decide how big the payout is before I answer the question......... :lol:

BUD
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
BUD shootouts on-----Who has the best Weapon and whom is the best shot---------I'll be outside in one lap in my wheel chair----Shots to maim do NOT count----

\

Lets shoot boys---and Ladies---

cj
02-07-2009, 10:25 PM
It is one thing to make a movie and take liberties with the truth. This show is so horribly wrong on so many different things I can't imagine a single person that knows racing was involved in the production.

BUD
02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I know one of the women from their days here in Boston's Beacon hill section---At least the name and the face look the same----1980 something they were your typical rebellious Jewish college girl--thought they were Wiccans and into heavy metal-------but i Do not pretend i know the game as you do----that's why I can say it seemed all right to me........Cause really whattya I really know----

I watch The Dogg or the SHow Cops and Laugh and say whatta effen joke---so I understand what you mean and what you say..

phatbastard
02-08-2009, 04:25 AM
i think they should show how the other half live.....how about a group of shows with the hardboots @ Turfway or Mountaineer during january....

JustRalph
02-08-2009, 07:58 AM
If it is going to be " The Joe Talamo Show" this is really going to start to suck............

I could give a damn whether MSmith punches Chantal's ticket for a baby either. If he does he is damn fool..............

judd
02-08-2009, 08:28 AM
i missed it thought was on feb 9th when will be on again? :bang:

phatbastard
02-08-2009, 08:56 AM
its on @ 10pm est tonight

point given
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Yesterday in the Strub stakes at Santa Anita Mike Smith and Chantel Sutherland were riding and as luck would have it, they were both going for the same hole to get up at the wire . Smith had to angle out a little to the right and chantel looked like she didnot shut him off and came in 3rd and smith 2nd. Both were on longshots and found myself rooting for them .
I liked the show, but then again I do most anything on racing. The onlly thing I find is the repetition of stuff, and not enough meat but lots of dressing. Guess thats the reality which I find pretentious. Question is , How many people watch the Animal Channel to see it ? Possibly mostly animal lovers ? who would be loathe to see whipping and horses going down. Yet that is part of the reality and action draw of the racing sequences, the danger factor . Will tab for next friday.

Grits
02-08-2009, 11:37 AM
When I saw Edgar in the jocks room . . . . and there was no interview, no comment, nothing. I knew I was watching clueless. Totally!

A program that was focusing, solely, on SoCal which is a mistake. The finest thing I witnessed in the entire telecast was, again, seeing Zenyatta. One huge filly.

BUD
02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
When I saw Edgar in the jocks room . . . . and there was no interview, no comment, nothing. I knew I was watching clueless. Totally!

A program that was focusing, solely, on SoCal which is a mistake. The finest thing I witnessed in the entire telecast was, again, seeing Zenyatta. One huge filly.

Which jocks were on that shoulda been---Like Egder--It was his choice----

One comment that the creators made---Was they never seen such a lot of people who were not desperate to get in front of the camera------

One interview I read was they had to come close to begging people to actually have talking parts and let the camera follow them-----

So to see and not hear Prado----Do not blame the show---Blame the quite confident man---Who shows up to be a jockey not a reality show star--

Hey I am glad its an--And some have agreed to the invasion of their privacy---I understand-----

We filmed Cops here----There was NO--ZERO way those folk were driving with me---Talk about a distraction---and for what?---For a few minutes of TV time BFD

I will leave that for the Heroe's and the Dogg---They seem to like to act for the camera..

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the fact that it was terribly obvious the show made Denman recreate his racecalls, only this time making sure to call the jockey's name every five seconds.

One of the more annoying aspects of the show...if I was Denman, I would have told them to find someone else...

njcurveball
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the fact that it was terribly obvious the show made Denman recreate his racecalls, only this time making sure to call the jockey's name every five seconds.

Good observation, I felt it especially agonizing watching the young lady from Austrailia being called in last place the entire way around the track. Almost felt like I was watching that 100-0 basketball as keep calling Talamo in first and her in lassssssssssssst! :bang:

JustRalph
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM

One of the more annoying aspects of the show...if I was Denman, I would have told them to find someone else...

that's the first thing my wife noticed..........she thought it sounded cheesy

DanG
02-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Question / Op-Ed;

If you’re a producer…why would you design the show for the few hardcore horseplayers who would notice these things?

1st: So many hardcore players hold jockeys in contempt they won’t watch anyway. It’s the mentality that Beyer infamous quote espoused…”And they wonder why we hate them so” (when referring to riders.) At the very least; they (we) won’t “admit” to watching.

2nd: This show doesn’t have a snowball chance in hell of getting the NY / Kentucky media behind it because frankly…it’s not based in NY or Kentucky. I’m guessing they didn’t want de-ice the camera every 15 seconds and shoot at the Big-A.

3rd: Shows like this in our sport come around as often as take-out reductions. There is ZERO downside to it and it took a 2nd rate network to give it a shot and put up with all the mail from the PETA wing-nuts. We should be bombarding Discovery network with positive mail instead of snipping at a rare attempt of much needed exposure imo.

Marshall Bennett
02-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Various scenes such as this suggest the program wasn't aimed at the typical horse player , but instead to a group ( perhaps younger ) that is unfamiliar with the game .

mikey blanc
02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

SHOCKED...Really? you mean to tell me Reality-tv isn't exactly...*GASP*....real. I think you need to get out more, if this small fact shocked you.

are you serious? thats all a sport struggling for any attention whatsoever needs....Diva track announcers.

Relwob Owner
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Good observation, I felt it especially agonizing watching the young lady from Austrailia being called in last place the entire way around the track. Almost felt like I was watching that 100-0 basketball as keep calling Talamo in first and her in lassssssssssssst! :bang:

Couldnt agree more-until then, the Denman thing seemed like a necessary evil but that commment was absurd-bad for the hardcore and average fan because the hardcore fan knows it is bogus and the average fan wonders both why he is commenting on a horse in last and why he is calling out the jock so badly......she got her revenge yesterday, riding an 8 to 1 shot home....

Niko
02-09-2009, 11:21 PM

It was pretty bad and obvious, annoying actually.

These shows are not made for serious horse racing fans. They're made for the general public. Pick a couple cute young female jockeys to get the guys watching, a relationship for the ladies, and up and comer for the feel good story. They're looking to make good TV, not good reality. I know horses going down happens, but every 10 minutes?

Overall I think it's good exposure, might bring some new fans out to the track...

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2009, 03:07 AM
The point is, the REAL race calls were most likely MUCH MORE engaging...to hardcore fan and newbie alike.

PS. I sure am glad mikey blanc finally came out of hiding to stick it to me...:lol:

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Racing's perceived lack of exposure (and I dare say racing has had its share of improved exposure over the last decade) is the very least of its problems.

ARODISSTILLMYHERO
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I really enjoyed the show. Though there may have been a few unreal things in it, it didn't change the show to the point where it was too false. However, my despise for Gomez grew even more. He seems to think he is too good for everyone, and also a whiner.

Relwob Owner
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I really enjoyed the show. Though there may have been a few unreal things in it, it didn't change the show to the point where it was too false. However, my despise for Gomez grew even more. He seems to think he is too good for everyone, and also a whiner.

While he may actually be that way, I think the show made him look that way to create tension. To fit the arc of the show, they actually made Nakatani, who has a terrible rep for his attitude and the way he rides, look good. It was amazing comparing how Nakatani and Mike Smith talked-Nakatani just steamrolled through what he has done while Smith used the phrase "lucky enough" several times and seemed so much more humble.

Im not sure how Gomez is in real life but do know that his story of kicking drugs and getting to the top is one that is taken for granted and vastly underappreciated, in my opinion. I have always thought that arrogance is tolerable if you can back it up and he certainly can

Marshall Bennett
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I recall a reporter commenting on Gomez during his last trip to Dubai , Gomez for the most part stayed to himself , seldom talked with other jockeys , and offered congratulations to them on only a couple occasions when they won . This suggested to me he indeed beleives he's better than anyone else , and doesn't mind showing it .

cj
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Racing's perceived lack of exposure (and I dare say racing has had its share of improved exposure over the last decade) is the very least of its problems.

Agreed. Also, what good is exposure if it does happen to bring some new fans to the game, only for them to realize quickly what they saw on television is far from reality. They won't be fans for long.

miesque
02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
While he may actually be that way, I think the show made him look that way to create tension. To fit the arc of the show, they actually made Nakatani, who has a terrible rep for his attitude and the way he rides, look good. It was amazing comparing how Nakatani and Mike Smith talked-Nakatani just steamrolled through what he has done while Smith used the phrase "lucky enough" several times and seemed so much more humble.

Im not sure how Gomez is in real life but do know that his story of kicking drugs and getting to the top is one that is taken for granted and vastly underappreciated, in my opinion. I have always thought that arrogance is tolerable if you can back it up and he certainly can

That was my take on it as well, for example, that clip of him walking in with a rather nice suit (sorry I am a sucker for that sort of thing) on and the narrator was giving a lowdown on him that was an attempt to give a viewer unfamiliar with Gomez the idea that he was a tough heavy hitter of a competitor to underline that the competition was increasing.

Bubba X
02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Agreed. Also, what good is exposure if it does happen to bring some new fans to the game, only for them to realize quickly what they saw on television is far from reality. They won't be fans for long.Do you really think anyone would decide not to go to the track a second time if they didn't hear Denman say, "Kayla Stra is in last?"

Relwob Owner
02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I recall a reporter commenting on Gomez during his last trip to Dubai , Gomez for the most part stayed to himself , seldom talked with other jockeys , and offered congratulations to them on only a couple occasions when they won . This suggested to me he indeed beleives he's better than anyone else , and doesn't mind showing it .

I think all these things are probably true but that is a weird world they live in and seems to me that you may have to be that way in order to stay ahead-reminds me of similar thoughts about Tiger Woods keeping to himself and not engaging others at times and thinking he is better-well, when it comes to performance, Tiger and Garrett are better than the rest. In such an individual sport that requires so much focus and has so much danger, being nice to others probably gives way to other things that requires much of his concern and energy.

cj
02-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Do you really think anyone would decide not to go to the track a second time if they didn't hear Denman say, "Kayla Stra is in last?"

Yes, that was exactly my point! :rolleyes:

How about the fact that jockeys are made out to be more important than the horses? Think a fan might be a bit surprised to learn that the jockey rarely matters and betting the best ones isn't going to get you very far betting wise? And if the new fan isn't into betting, what good does it do to attract them?

WinterTriangle
02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Bad news Dan. The following show, Extreme Animal Encounters, is running a "theme" tonight = Tragedies at the Track. YIKES!! Who the hell was the programming genius in running these two shows back-to-back??? :mad:

Worse programming decision I've ever seen.

I had asked some non racing friends, who I'm trying to get involved in our sport, watch Jockeys, then afterwards there's a show with jockeys being hurled over horses and breaking their backs on the track, and then a loose harness horse careening thru crowds in the winner's circle........hardly the way to entice people into the sport. :)

Like most TV, people prefer sensationalism they need the excitement or something.

As for Jockeys, I so much enjoyed rewatching some of the exciting races but this time from a different perspective. I thought the editing was good, ie, the jockeys are talking about riding long shots against their competition riding favorites, and then the next sequence is Talamo bringing in California Flag at 18-1 :)

And conversely, Mike Smith explaining the "pressure" of riding the lock, like Zenyatta, and realizing a jockey could only *mess it up* because the horse itself is supposed to win. I thought these two sequences showed that the art of longshots and favorites are both slippery endeavors.

I see no problem making a docudrama for the general public. I asked my 80 year old mom to watch, and she thought the sport was *exciting* and complex. Perhaps some serious horseplayers could find a good documentary filmmaker and make a *different* series. I see NO WAY to make a film that would satisfy both?

As for the importance of jockeys.....you can't compare to Tiger Woods, They are playing *alone*. In racing, horse is WITH a jockey. They are a TEAM.

also in golf, you are playing your game against other players, but they are not making their shots WHILE you are making yours. They are taking turns.

No analogy there, IMHO.

If you have no appreciation for the jockey, then you are basically saying they are just *passengers*. ?

Bubba X
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM

How about the fact that jockeys are made out to be more important than the horses? Think a fan might be a bit surprised to learn that the jockey rarely matters and betting the best ones isn't going to get you very far betting wise? And if the new fan isn't into betting, what good does it do to attract them?You don't really expect newcomers to start betting ABC-X multis their first several times out, can you?

I think people who wager seriously and people who go to the track and put their $2 or $5 or $10 on a horse for whatever reason are separate sets. Surely there is room for both, no?

cj
02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
All I am saying is if you aren't truthful with people, and they do actually come to the track, they will not come back. The same goes for about anything in life. Ever see those sales where they have one incredible deal but when you get there they are "sold out" and don't offer a rain check? They never, ever get my business after that happens.

Now, since the producers of the show probably don't care if they draw new fans, I understand "reality" isn't high up on the priority list. I'm just saying for those that think any exposure is good they are probably thinking wishfully.

Relwob Owner
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Worse programming decision I've ever seen.

I had asked some non racing friends, who I'm trying to get involved in our sport, watch Jockeys, then afterwards there's a show with jockeys being hurled over horses and breaking their backs on the track, and then a loose harness horse careening thru crowds in the winner's circle........hardly the way to entice people into the sport. :)

Like most TV, people prefer sensationalism they need the excitement or something.

As for Jockeys, I so much enjoyed rewatching some of the exciting races but this time from a different perspective. I thought the editing was good, ie, the jockeys are talking about riding long shots against their competition riding favorites, and then the next sequence is Talamo bringing in California Flag at 18-1 :)

And conversely, Mike Smith explaining the "pressure" of riding the lock, like Zenyatta, and realizing a jockey could only *mess it up* because the horse itself is supposed to win. I thought these two sequences showed that the art of longshots and favorites are both slippery endeavors.

I see no problem making a docudrama for the general public. I asked my 80 year old mom to watch, and she thought the sport was *exciting* and complex. Perhaps some serious horseplayers could find a good documentary filmmaker and make a *different* series. I see NO WAY to make a film that would satisfy both?

As for the importance of jockeys.....you can't compare to Tiger Woods, They are playing *alone*. In racing, horse is WITH a jockey. They are a TEAM.

also in golf, you are playing your game against other players, but they are not making their shots WHILE you are making yours. They are taking turns.

No analogy there, IMHO.

If you have no appreciation for the jockey, then you are basically saying they are just *passengers*. ?

All good points. I meant only to compare the attitudes and perceptions of Garrett and Tiger. I in no way meant to compare the sports on the whole. I brought Tiger up only to compare what it is like for a person who is competing with other individuals in their profession and the fact that sometimes, the same drive that people have in their professions causes them to not deal well with others.

I was in no way comparing the sports and your points are right on the mark. I think that on the whole, jockeys are underappreciated by horsemen and bettors alike.

Relwob Owner
02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Also, couldnt agree more about the programming afterwards....hopefully, the person who made that call was held accountable-I hate to think of someone watching The Jockeys, enjoying it and then seeing that awful show afterwards

Relwob Owner
02-10-2009, 12:59 PM

How about the fact that jockeys are made out to be more important than the horses? Think a fan might be a bit surprised to learn that the jockey rarely matters and betting the best ones isn't going to get you very far betting wise? And if the new fan isn't into betting, what good does it do to attract them?

I think saying the jockey "rarely matters" is a bit extreme.....first, the jockey definitely matters when they are riding for a specific trainer in a specific circumstance. Second, at the very least, which horse a high percentage jock chooses shows a ton. Third, there are many many jocks who are certainly more talented than others and who can have a positive affect on their horse.

McSock
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM

If the jockey does not matter, why pay a higher percentage to Hall of Fame jockeys? Why not always use the bug weigh advantage and get the cheaper jock?

cj
02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I should have been clearer. As an owner, of course the jockey matters. As a bettor, not so much. There is no secret who the better jockeys are and they get bet down. Most capable riders will get the best horse home a high percentage of the time, that is why I said "rarely" matters.

See, the show propaganda is getting to you guys already!

classhandicapper
02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I thought the show wasn't perfect, but I'm going to continue watching it. Then again maybe I'm easy to please when it comes to animals because I'm going to be glued to the TV to watch the Westminster Dog Show tonight. Ever since Rufus, I'm hooked. I loved that dog. :lol:

SaratogaSteve
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Let's think about that one for a second. While I agree horses are critical to the sport/show, it would be a very boring show if they focused on horses, which can't talk. Attracting new fans is going to happen via the personalities, not the horses, per se. Those folks are in the game, or on this board, bitching incessantly.

joanied
02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree that focusing on the jockey's is the right thing to do...hell, at least they stay around, not like our better horses that seem to either get hurt or retire too soon...there are so many great personalities 'they' can promote within the world of the jockey's...some would be outstanding spokesmen for the sport...

I enjoyed the first episode of the show...I noticed many of us didn't like the voice over for the race calls...me too...I realize it's for the benefit of the folks that don't know much about racing...but it really sounds stupid or something...they should use the real calls, IMO...
some of the race footage was editied too much...how about focusing in on these jocks the entire trip...pick one and focus on him/her from gate to wire...
loved Mike Smith...well spoken and says all the right things...like the pressure of riding a 'sure thing'....loved him talking about Zenyatta...which is a good way to get folks hooked on one of our 'stars'.
All in all...I was pleasantly surprised....but, that show they had on following Jockey's was a horror...who's the idiot that decided to do that:mad:

Can't wait for part 2:)

APguy
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
After watching the show, I came away with mixed reactions. While I do like how they covered the world of newer jockeys, I really didn't care for the lack of detail they had for each race.... bad editing.

From the previews I saw for the next episode, I'm kind of excited to see how Brandon is portraid. Being a hometown boy (Arlington) its keeping me around...other then him, not sure if I would make room in my schedule just to watch it....

WinterTriangle
02-12-2009, 12:15 AM
at least they stay around, not like our better horses that seem to either get hurt or retire too soon...

Or just disappear off the radar. A few horses I have placed in my virtual stable, never receive a notification on them again.:confused:

Sometimes, I'll do the research, and find out....(often impossible); I have enough to do just keeping up with the ones who ARE still in the game.

As for Gomez's personality, and attaching some kind of *meaning* that he thinks he's *better*, I don't see the connection. Not everyone "plays to the crowd". Many are loners, some are just not real social to begin with.

The "teamwork" mantra that seems to have sprung from all those corporate feel-good seminars of the 80's and 90's are not appropriate in every endeavor. (I begged off on all those hokey white-water rafting wilderness excursions with my boss and coworkers :D ). I can think of too many great contributions that have been made to the world, in sports, in science, in art, in medicine, that doesn't require that at all.

CJ, gotcha on the *rarely* thing. You explained it very well. :ThmbUp:

joanied
02-12-2009, 03:56 PM
This is from the 'headlines' within a Animal Planet newsletter I get:

JOCKEYS
New Episode Premieres
Friday, February 13 at 9 p.m. ET/PT [/font]
It's the most dangerous two minutes in sports. Meet the 112-pound athletes (http://discoverymail.com/a/hBJlAE9AG88fdB7bcY5$5CDeiqv/ssss5) risking it all on 1200-pound thoroughbreds (http://discoverymail.com/a/hBJlAE9AG88fdB7bcY5$5CDeiqv/ssss6) as this explosive new reality series (http://discoverymail.com/a/hBJlAE9AG88fdB7bcY5$5CDeiqv/ssss7) continues, hailed as "fascinating" by Variety, a Sports Illustrated Game Plan must-watch, and earning 3 out of 4 stars from People! Plus go behind the scenes and check out exclusive webisodes and interviews online! (http://discoverymail.com/a/hBJlAE9AG88fdB7bcY5$5CDeiqv/ssss8)

Seems the reviews are good...so I hope it continues that way...we can pick it apart, but we shouldn't expect it'll be perfect....1,200 lb Thoughbreds...do 'they' really feel the need to make horses bigger than they are :bang:
:)

DanG
02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
I know it’s not “cool” to watch a ‘reality show and we all know how provincial racing fans are. If it’s not in our backyard we rarely endorse it; but this show works imo.

I hope some are checking it out and if you’re enjoying it a 15 second e-mail to Animal Planet doesn’t hurt the cause. We get a series that features our sports about once a millennium so of we don’t support it; who will? I know the anti-racing terrorists have bombarded the sponsors with their brand of slander.

cj's dad
02-28-2009, 08:42 AM
1st time last night- soap opera- it sucks.

W2G
02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Ah, I forgot to watch last night. When do they replay it?

You know the doctored-up race calls don't bother me too much. I wonder if actual race calling that was more jockey-centric has any merit? The jocks are after all supporting players in these 1-2 minute dramas we love so much. Adds another layer of complexity for the track announcer, obviously.

DanG
02-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Ah, I forgot to watch last night. When do they replay it?

Last week it was Sunday night; but I don’t see a replay listed tonight. Not a great sign I suppose.

alhattab
02-28-2009, 09:11 AM

It is a little tough to watch, but I watch it anyway. A slow TV night anyway and it's ok for a backdrop while handicapping Sat races. Worth it just to see SA setting.

Anyone know how to get in touch w/Mike Smith? I'd love to get that Holy Bull dvd he gave Talamo in last night's episode in return for donation to MacBeth fund.

judd
02-28-2009, 09:26 AM
wasnt on last night how come ?

Relwob Owner
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Ditto-what a wasted opportunity this show was-I know some people say that any exposure is good exposure and not to criticize it....I think the show is so lame that it turns off both horse people and non horse people---it is just as weak as the other "reality" shows out there.

Once I read that they made Court re-do his 'temper tantrum" I gave up---props to the jocks that said no to doing it-most notably the "arrogant" Gomez-shit, if I won as many races as he did, I might be arrogant too

jotb
02-28-2009, 09:47 AM
It is a little tough to watch, but I watch it anyway. A slow TV night anyway and it's ok for a backdrop while handicapping Sat races. Worth it just to see SA setting.

Anyone know how to get in touch w/Mike Smith? I'd love to get that Holy Bull dvd he gave Talamo in last night's episode in return for donation to MacBeth fund.

I believe Mike has a website or contact his agent. I think Brad Pegram has his book.

Tom
02-28-2009, 10:42 AM
wasnt on last night how come ?

It was on...I watched it.

kenwoodallpromos
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I like it as to me centers on subjects important to jockeys each show- injuries; controversial riding; weight control; the horses; etc.
I masy have missed shows, but I hope it covers horses' retirement issues somehow. I liked Alex and Jr. going to the auctions.

joanied
02-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I started watching it to support racing, I was curious, and I'll watch anything horse racing at least once.
I think as the episodes progress, the show is getting better. Still much they could have done to make it really a great show, but so far, I think it's been pretty good. I
Last night's episode I thought was the best yet...I so enjoy Mike Smith...he has good things to say, and says them well.

Still don't like the race calls...if they have to voice over using the jocks names, I wish the calls were as exciting as the regular race calls usually are...leaves much to desire. They also seem to repeat too much...I got tired of watching Talamo's screw ups last night, and in fact, don't like the kid much.
I'm still waiting for some great race shots...why can't they take a camera on, say, a Mike Smith horse and follow him from gate to wire...a close up shot of a jock for an entire race would show folks what they do...the nuance, the hands, the jock looking for race room...

Pace Cap'n
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Where else have we ever been able to watch stewards in action?

joanied
02-28-2009, 02:15 PM

I never did...and it was interesting and something 'fans' and the racing uneducated need to see...but hey, IMO...Talamo should have gotten a few days for the first two screw up rides...

Tom
02-28-2009, 04:10 PM

The show exploded several myths about the stewards...

1. All three were there.
2. None were alseep.
3. There were no seeing eye dogs visible.

BillW
02-28-2009, 04:14 PM

1. All three were there.
2. None were alseep.

I would imagine that was staged for the cameras.

Pace Cap'n
02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I would imagine that was staged for the cameras.

You are probably right...they didn't show them checking their tickets...

joanied
02-28-2009, 05:50 PM

1. All three were there.
2. None were alseep.

Your sarcasim is well taken:rolleyes: Tom....

BillW...No doubt it was staged...most of the show is staged...aren't ALL reality shows done that way....ya can't help it when the cameras are rolling and following you around.

Tom
02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
"The stewards will now examine their tickets."

Donnie
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Win, lose or draw, it appears Animal Planet is making the series available online one show appearing each week....follow this link....

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/jockeys/index.html

joanied
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't get myself to watch any video on line that's more than several minutes long....but I hope they get 1,000's of folks to watch it that way...I don't think everyone gets Animal Planet on their TV.

kenwoodallpromos
03-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe it would have more exciting if the stewards mhad sentenced Talamo to be trampled to death by one of his mounts!LOL!!

Donnie
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Joanie---
you just need to get your pc hooked up to your TV. The wife and I stream Netflix movies thru our computer to the TV all the time!! Then we don't have to wait for the darn dvds to show up in the mailbox! :cool:

Donnie
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Tom---

1. All three were there.
2. None were alseep.

Do you write for Letterman?? That's some funny schitt!!

Donnie
03-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Joanie....

I found a link to the upcoming shows that will be on TV....

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=15.15325.127251.36215.x

alhattab
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I believe Mike has a website or contact his agent. I think Brad Pegram has his book.

He does have a website. I sent a note- got a weird reply. Also posted on the Jockey's website. Thanks for your response.

maryforney
03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Some of the Santa Anita jockeys played the Holy Angels Varsity basketball team Thursday evening at La Salle High School in Pasadena.
Jockeys participating in the game were David Flores, captain, Rafael Bejarano, Brice Blanc, Isaias Enriquez, Corey Nakatani, Joe Talamo and Kayla Stra. In addition, Mike Smith and retired jockeys Eddie Delahoussaye, Laffit Pincay Jr. and Gary Stevens lent support.

Check out some video from the game here:

http://maryforney.blogspot.com/2009/03/santa-anita-jockeys-play-basketball-for.html

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2009, 05:16 AM
This show, to me, gets weaker (and therefore more humorous) by the episode.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the personalities they are showing. I like seeing these jockeys behind the scenes. And is it just me, or was Gary Stevens totally WASTED when he was doing his "Shoe gave it to me, I gave it to Mike, and now Mike is handing it to Joe" routine? Now THAT was priceless!

The production values on this show are simply brutal at times.

But this latest episode brought me to new highs and new lows. When Mike Smith brought out the Holy Bull DVD, I nearly cried. He could have done the sport no greater honor than to praise da' Bull like that...I will NEVER have a bad word to say about Mike Smith EVER, EVER, EVER! He rode Holy Bull, and Holy Bull is the best racehorse that I have ever witnessed in my 21 years of being a crazy-ass fan of this sport.

Now to the lows. When they cut to that totally staged scene of Joe T. watching the DVD, and you hear that B.S. recreated call with Trevor Denman supposedly calling a Holy Bull race...well...I nearly passed out in disgust.

Imagine if you will a recreated "Shot heard round the world" with Tim McCarver...or a "Down goes Frazier" with Steve Albert recreating the famous Howard Cosell line...yeah...now you know how I felt....

DanG
03-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the personalities they are showing. I like seeing these jockeys behind the scenes. And is it just me, or was Gary Stevens totally WASTED when he was doing his "Shoe gave it to me, I gave it to Mike, and now Mike is handing it to Joe" routine? Now THAT was priceless!

All fair points Mike; but are we comparing a television show (with all its sponsor / ratings and broad audience responsibilities) with a documentary?

My daughter has all her friends hooked on it in at college and not one of them I'm aware of has brought up overdubbed calls; etc…all the nuance that makes hard core players cringe. By the numbers thrown around; if they formatted it strictly for horseplayers it would have never made it passed pilot status.

Just a thought; when I saw the trailer I had a feeling players might find fault; but I still think if you graph the national exposure our sport is getting it would look like the current DOW. Does that mean I’m willing to overlook some “reality” license that the producers are taking? Yes; guilty as charged…in the grand scheme I just don’t see a down side.

BTW: Yes; Gary Stevens was wasted; that was taped right around that “legends race” and you know he was dieting like a madman. At less then 120lbs / two glasses of wine and you’re trying on lampshades. :eek:

joanied
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Joanie---
you just need to get your pc hooked up to your TV. The wife and I stream Netflix movies thru our computer to the TV all the time!! Then we don't have to wait for the darn dvds to show up in the mailbox! :cool:

Donnie....We do have one of those cables to hook the TV into the puter...by the way, we get Animal Planet and I have been watching and recording all the Jockey episodes...but this about Netflix movies is interesting....think I'll go visit the Netflix web site and see how it's done....I assume you have to download a movie to your puter, then run it through the TV to watch it? Buffering?

Thanks for the tip:ThmbUp:

joanied
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Some of the Santa Anita jockeys played the Holy Angels Varsity basketball team Thursday evening at La Salle High School in Pasadena.
Jockeys participating in the game were David Flores, captain, Rafael Bejarano, Brice Blanc, Isaias Enriquez, Corey Nakatani, Joe Talamo and Kayla Stra. In addition, Mike Smith and retired jockeys Eddie Delahoussaye, Laffit Pincay Jr. and Gary Stevens lent support.

Check out some video from the game here:

http://maryforney.blogspot.com/2009/03/santa-anita-jockeys-play-basketball-for.html

COOL ...thanks Mary:)

joanied
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM

The production values on this show are simply brutal at times.

But this latest episode brought me to new highs and new lows. When Mike Smith brought out the Holy Bull DVD, I nearly cried. He could have done the sport no greater honor than to praise da' Bull like that...I will NEVER have a bad word to say about Mike Smith EVER, EVER, EVER! He rode Holy Bull, and Holy Bull is the best racehorse that I have ever witnessed in my 21 years of being a crazy-ass fan of this sport.

Now to the lows. When they cut to that totally staged scene of Joe T. watching the DVD, and you hear that B.S. recreated call with Trevor Denman supposedly calling a Holy Bull race...well...I nearly passed out in disgust.

Imagine if you will a recreated "Shot heard round the world" with Tim McCarver...or a "Down goes Frazier" with Steve Albert recreating the famous Howard Cosell line...yeah...now you know how I felt....

PA & DanG...

I also knew Gary S was wasted...I beleive Mike S was feeling no pain either...that was fun to see...as PA said...priceless:D
I think the show gets better with each episode...just my opinion...

I'd give a lot to see that Holy Bull DVD....maybe someone could get word to whomever to release it into circulation....maybe the Blood Horse (exclusivley Equine) could get it into their video's for sale library...I wanna see it:jump:

Glad we may be the only one's that hate the voiced over race calls...and I also got sorta sick when I had to watch Tamaro listen to the DVD with tears in his eyes...give me a break...that was awful:faint: geeze!

JustRalph
03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
wow, it's amazing what a weekend blizzard will do for the population of the board............

I detest them making this show into the Joe Talamo hour.............

joanied
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
wow, it's amazing what a weekend blizzard will do for the population of the board............

I detest them making this show into the Joe Talamo hour.............

justralph....wow...me too....I was getting pretty tired of all the Talamo crap...hope his time in this show won't take much more air time...I do not like this kid...he rubs me the wrong way...arrogant little s**t :)

JustRalph
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
justralph....wow...me too....I was getting pretty tired of all the Talamo crap...hope his time in this show won't take much more air time...I do not like this kid...he rubs me the wrong way...arrogant little s**t :)

After watching him ride that horse that got into two others out of the gate, I thought to myself.......... if Julie Krone was riding one of those other horses.........the Stewards would have been his last worry.......... :lol:

rrbauer
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
The Jock's basketball team misses Kent D.

joanied
03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
After watching him ride that horse that got into two others out of the gate, I thought to myself.......... if Julie Krone was riding one of those other horses.........the Stewards would have been his last worry.......... :lol:

Ya got that right...Julie was my kind of woman...didn't take s**t from the guys...me & Julie woulda got along great:ThmbUp:
The stewards deciding that incident wasn't worthy for the kid getting days because it was a 2 year old race was a ton of crap...Talamo was very, very lucky someone didn't go down...he's an overconfident ass!

asH
03-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Watching these stewards gives me incite to why they never disqualify blatant infractions; their judgement (if any) is easily influenced ...that’s scary

Juxtaposed against the call/no call inquiry of a blatant (should have been) disqualification in Sundays 5th race leads to serious questions concerning Santa Anita stewards.

delayjf
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I like the show, most people only experience racing from the grandstand, this show offers a peek into one aspect of racing that most people will never see. I worked at the track in College and I rarely even talked to any jockey. I could do with less Talamo and more from the other riders and I'm not sure the Deman calls are necessary, but other than that, I enjoy the show. I'd like to see some more profiles done on other track personalities, maybe we can get them to do a profile on SoCalFan.

JustRalph
03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Watching these stewards gives me incite to why they never disqualify blatant infractions; their judgement (if any) is easily influenced ...that’s scary

Juxtaposed against the call/no call inquiry of a blatant (should have been) disqualification in Sundays 5th race leads to serious questions concerning Santa Anita stewards.

incite or insight............either way it works.......... :lol:

Imriledup
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Racing needs to have a 'war room' that is a national room where the stewards who are in charge of that room are in charge of EVERY track that's running on any given day.

Here's what you gain by having a national 'war room'.

1) You have more than 3 stewards.

2) You have judges who aren't closely affiliated with any local circuit (which means there's more of a chance of no hidden interest or conflict)

3) You make decisions off video only, No interviewing jockeys on the telephone while you are deciding. If you need a jockey's point of view on the phone to make your decision, leave the result stand. Anything that deserves to be disqualified can be DQd on video alone, you don't need to have to worry that a well spoken politician like a Jerry Bailey is going to convince the judges that a jock who can't speak a word of engligh was at fault.

I also believe that Inquiries should be settled the following day. Personally, i would wait until the following day if it means they get the call right. Its perfectly ok for the judges to 'sleep on it' to make sure they don't make a mistake. When you have thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line, you really don't need three 70 year old men making a decision with your future in 2 minutes so they can get the next race off in a timely manner. SO much money on the line means you really need more than 2 minutes to make a really competent decision.

Relwob Owner
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Racing needs to have a 'war room' that is a national room where the stewards who are in charge of that room are in charge of EVERY track that's running on any given day.

Here's what you gain by having a national 'war room'.

1) You have more than 3 stewards.

2) You have judges who aren't closely affiliated with any local circuit (which means there's more of a chance of no hidden interest or conflict)

3) You make decisions off video only, No interviewing jockeys on the telephone while you are deciding. If you need a jockey's point of view on the phone to make your decision, leave the result stand. Anything that deserves to be disqualified can be DQd on video alone, you don't need to have to worry that a well spoken politician like a Jerry Bailey is going to convince the judges that a jock who can't speak a word of engligh was at fault.

I also believe that Inquiries should be settled the following day. Personally, i would wait until the following day if it means they get the call right. Its perfectly ok for the judges to 'sleep on it' to make sure they don't make a mistake. When you have thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line, you really don't need three 70 year old men making a decision with your future in 2 minutes so they can get the next race off in a timely manner. SO much money on the line means you really need more than 2 minutes to make a really competent decision.

I was kind of with you until you suggested waiting til the next day-not realistic

asH
03-04-2009, 06:30 AM

:D it was inciteful after race 5 sunday...couldnt belive my eyes

joanied
03-04-2009, 08:52 PM

JustRalph..... Meatloaf? I used to know him...back in 'the day', when he was just getting started. Amazing!!

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I'd give a lot to see that Holy Bull DVD....maybe someone could get word to whomever to release it into circulation....maybe the Blood Horse (exclusivley Equine) could get it into their video's for sale library...I wanna see it:jump: If it's the DVD I'm thinking of, I'm lucky enough to have one. It was put out by Jonabell Farm (before they got bought by Darley) as part of their marketing effort for Holy Bull the stallion. I actually have the video tape and the DVD version.

joanied
03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
If it's the DVD I'm thinking of, I'm lucky enough to have one. It was put out by Jonabell Farm (before they got bought by Darley) as part of their marketing effort for Holy Bull the stallion. I actually have the video tape and the DVD version.

If it's THE one...you are a lucky dude...in that episode, Mike Smith said it had every race the Bull ran...and if it is the same tape/dvd...hey, PA...make some copies for us:)

DanG
03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Good news; the show was picked up for another season…

Maybe my daughter’s 8 friends put it over the top. :D

JustRalph
03-06-2009, 05:32 PM
hopefully a different colony?

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
If it's THE one...you are a lucky dude...in that episode, Mike Smith said it had every race the Bull ran...and if it is the same tape/dvd...hey, PA...make some copies for us:)In all likelihood, it's a DVD made exclusively for Mike Smith (or by Mike Smith) containing all of 'da Bull's races. After all, he was Bull's jockey, so I'm sure he had no trouble obtaining the videos to all of his races.

My DVD is pretty cool too....:lol:

joanied
03-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Good news; the show was picked up for another season…

Maybe my daughter’s 8 friends put it over the top. :D

I can tell:eek: you don't like the show....but please tell us...where did you see it's been picked up for another season?

joanied
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
In all likelihood, it's a DVD made exclusively for Mike Smith (or by Mike Smith) containing all of 'da Bull's races. After all, he was Bull's jockey, so I'm sure he had no trouble obtaining the videos to all of his races.

My DVD is pretty cool too....:lol:

That'd be my guess too...probably close up footage of him on the Bull, since I beleive he was pretty much telling Tamaro if he watched it he'd learn something...(which I doubt:rolleyes: :D )....it would be outstanding to see it...I'm sure your DVD is awesome too...since it was put together to show him off for his new career at stud....I wanna see it...rats:faint: !!

DanG
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I can tell:eek: you don't like the show....but please tell us...where did you see it's been picked up for another season?
Equidaily.com linked to the SA web site that had this blurb;

http://www.equidaily.com/

The popular TV show, “Jockeys,” currently airing Fridays on Discovery Channel’s Animal Planet network, has been renewed for another season and will again be filmed at Santa Anita starting this Saturday

cj
03-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Just more proof there are way too many channels available. :)

KirisClown
03-07-2009, 12:24 AM
If it's the DVD I'm thinking of, I'm lucky enough to have one. It was put out by Jonabell Farm (before they got bought by Darley) as part of their marketing effort for Holy Bull the stallion. I actually have the video tape and the DVD version.

Is his maiden race on that dvd?

joanied
03-07-2009, 09:32 AM
DanG....thanks for the link.
CJ.... what was it Bruce Springstein sang..."57 channels and nothin' on" :p

I'm glad they'll have another 'season'...for the most part, I am enjoying the show:)

Tom
03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I like the show.
It's nice to see some aspects of the game I never would have otherwise.

But Mike and Chantrel.....whatever will they do???? I'm just torn apart on this one. Who can handicap anymore? :rolleyes:

joanied
03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I like the show.

But Mike and Chantrel.....whatever will they do???? I'm just torn apart on this one. Who can handicap anymore? :rolleyes:

You're funny:lol: ...maybe they'll have a 'spin off'...the Mike and Chantrel Show!
My guess is it won't last...her career seems to come first.

Marshall Bennett
03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I enjoyed the show though the Mike and Chantal part reminded me more of a soap opera . Btw , I thought she mentioned in an interview with TVG that she was married . This was some time ago , maybe divorced already ?

Cangamble
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I enjoyed the show though the Mike and Chantal part reminded me more of a soap opera . Btw , I thought she mentioned in an interview with TVG that she was married . This was some time ago , maybe divorced already ?
She was married to a Toronto trainer for a very short period of time.

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Is his maiden race on that dvd?No, it starts off with his Futurity win over Dehere (which I was fortunate enough to witness in person, and was absolutely loving life when da' Bull beat the overrated one).

Hajck Hillstrom
03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
.....but have to agree that the simulated calls accentuating the jock's names is more than disconcerting....it is downright irritating. :ThmbDown:

judd
03-08-2009, 10:01 AM
how do the jockeys get paid ? 2nd-3rd etc

jotb
03-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Judd:

1st=10%
2nd= 5%
3rd= 5%
4th to last= mount fee

Mount fees depend on the racetrack and purse.

W2G
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Looks to be a "Jockeys" marathon scheduled later today on Animal Planet, in case you've missed any episodes.

JustRalph
03-08-2009, 04:28 PM
The wife and I watched the latest episode last night on DVR. During the scene where Chantel is in the bathroom with Steven's wife talking about having a baby the wife pops off with.........

"Chantel better get out her bottle of Blond color and touch it up, her hair looks like crap" :lol: :lol:

Anybody else think that Gary Steven's and Mike Smith are a little late to the "I want to have a baby" party?

joanied
03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
The wife and I watched the latest episode last night on DVR. During the scene where Chantel is in the bathroom with Steven's wife talking about having a baby the wife pops off with.........

"Chantel better get out her bottle of Blond color and touch it up, her hair looks like crap" :lol: :lol:

Anybody else think that Gary Steven's and Mike Smith are a little late to the "I want to have a baby" party?

I must say, I wasn't paying too much attention to hair color:) ...but, Gary Steven's wife was shocked that she is pregnant...sounds to me like either she, or Gary were under the impression 'they' could not get pregnant...so, since I beleive in Fate...I suppose this pregnancy was totally unexpected, but they are thrilled about it, so age doesn't come into play.....it was meant to be:jump:
Mike S is how old...40? I'm not sure....but, if he really wants children, Chantal ain't gonna be the one...I beleive she will put her career first.
By the way...my brother got a late start on having a family...he was about 44yrs old when they had their first child, and nearly 47 for the 2nd one...so, it's really up to the person in question, wether or not it's too late for kids...if a person really, really wants kids...age is on the back burner.

cj
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
No, it starts off with his Futurity win over Dehere (which I was fortunate enough to witness in person, and was absolutely loving life when da' Bull beat the overrated one).

I missed that one, but was there for his maiden win at Monmouth Park.

KirisClown
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
No, it starts off with his Futurity win over Dehere (which I was fortunate enough to witness in person, and was absolutely loving life when da' Bull beat the overrated one).

I contacted Monmouth a few weeks ago about purchasing the Maiden race replay..

As of now.. they're "searching" for it..

miesque
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I have to admit that I had a similar sort of petty female comment at around that point of the show but it wasn't her about her roots, it was that "Chantal needs to start hitting the Chanel counter to get some eye cream to counteract those crows feet."

I thought they overplayed the whole baby thing, but I admit that for a female I have a horrible lack of sensitivity to that issue because its never been an issue I had any real interest in.

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Funny, I was sitting with the wife watching Jockeys and all I could think was Chantal looked just fine to me...:lol:

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2009, 03:58 AM
.....but have to agree that the simulated calls accentuating the jock's names is more than disconcerting....it is downright irritating. :ThmbDown:I did notice in this last episode that they did NOT mess with any of the Breeders' Cup calls...so, it's apparent they have their limits, which is good.

Sailwolf
03-09-2009, 06:21 AM
read somewhere renewed for a 2nd season

cj
03-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Funny, I was sitting with the wife watching Jockeys and all I could think was Chantal looked just fine to me...:lol:

Some women can be so catty! :)

miesque
03-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Some women can be so catty! :)

All women are catty, its just a question of to what extent and how much of it they vocalize. Its just like all women are crazy, its just a question of to what extent and what type of crazy. :D

bushwick
03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Just heard next episode Talamo gets caught tearing Chantel's guts out. Mike isn't too happy leaves to ride at Mount Pleasant Meadows. Meier returns because he misses Kayla Straa. Gary Stevens starts seeing Ron Ellis's daughter on the side because he finds his wife unattractive due to her pregnancy. She in turn unites with Darrell Haire in her time of need. Jon Court not to be outdone reveals to his wife that his motorcycle isnt the only hawg he has been riding. Thats right he has been having a relationship with Solis's kid. Now things will heat up.

point given
03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I like the show.

Not to worry, Chantel is heading back to Canada for opening day April 4th at Woodbine, then will go back to SA for the last two weeks and back to Canada. However , she will be back to SA after that. Now , you can sleep nights while Smitty tosses and turns.

Tom
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Then I am heading up to Woodbine....maybe I can get on camera and be a star next season! Hey, Jim the Hat on that show came from Finger Lakes...we used to hang out apart there. :rolleyes:

joanied
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
All women are catty, its just a question of to what extent and how much of it they vocalize. Its just like all women are crazy, its just a question of to what extent and what type of crazy. :D

This woman isn't:jump:

samyn on the green
03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
LOLJust heard next episode Talamo gets caught tearing Chantel's guts out. Mike isn't too happy leaves to ride at Mount Pleasant Meadows. Meier returns because he misses Kayla Straa. Gary Stevens starts seeing Ron Ellis's daughter on the side because he finds his wife unattractive due to her pregnancy. She in turn unites with Darrell Haire in her time of need. Jon Court not to be outdone reveals to his wife that his motorcycle isnt the only hawg he has been riding. Thats right he has been having a relationship with Solis's kid. Now things will heat up.

Tom
03-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I've heard of "artistic license" before but last night was pathetic! The took the two days of the BC out of order! They flat out out lied and destroyed any credibility the show had. I just tuned it off and didn't bother to waste my time watching the rest. They sight as well as had Chantel beat Mike in their race, as the show was completely fiction and reality obviously was not a concern.

The whole series was reduced to a rank amateur production.
Season II will not be on my watch list.

:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown: Lousy job!

Marshall Bennett
03-14-2009, 04:47 PM
What got me was when Aaron Gryder lost his BC race , Dedman shouts " Aaron Gryder must be devastated " at the end of his race call . Now that was funny .

toussaud
03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
What got me was when Aaron Gryder lost his BC race , Dedman shouts " Aaron Gryder must be devastated " at the end of his race call . Now that was funny .

this really made the show unwatcahable.

jognlope
03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I know that was so bogus. I'm kind of turned off to the show now.

thespaah
03-15-2009, 01:14 AM

One of the more annoying aspects of the show...if I was Denman, I would have told them to find someone else...i lost interest in the show becuase the race calls were dubbed in after the fact so that the Jock's name was used instead of the horse.
What they should have done was show the stretch run with the actual call and then dub in the voiceover with the name of the featured rider(s). Same effect but IMO more realisitc.
I viewed the first couple of shows and thought of the production to be fluffy.
My wife wateches it and I ask her for reviews. I'll probably go back to it towards the end.

thespaah
03-15-2009, 01:36 AM
I recall a reporter commenting on Gomez during his last trip to Dubai , Gomez for the most part stayed to himself , seldom talked with other jockeys , and offered congratulations to them on only a couple occasions when they won . This suggested to me he indeed beleives he's better than anyone else , and doesn't mind showing it ." A reporter". Well that right there sums it up.
Do you think it possible that the reporter in question may have approached Gomez for an interview at an inappropriate time and Gomez waived him off?
Reporters are not infallable and they can be jerks sometimes just as the people they interview can be jerks. Point is I believe the benefit fo the doubt is in order.
I don't know Gomez from Adam. So I don't know if he is arrogant as that reporter implied. And unless you know Gomez personally, neither do you.
'Nuff said

WinterTriangle
03-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Not being a "people person" and now gomez is a snot? :confused:

I will never understand why everyone has to be outgoing, gregarious, effusive and extroverted.

I have many friends who are shy, retiring, and private. Being reserved doesn't denote any kind of bad attitude, does it?

I thought the show was great for people who might take up an interest in our exciting sport for having seen it.

Cangamble
03-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I've heard of "artistic license" before but last night was pathetic! The took the two days of the BC out of order! They flat out out lied and destroyed any credibility the show had. I just tuned it off and didn't bother to waste my time watching the rest. They sight as well as had Chantel beat Mike in their race, as the show was completely fiction and reality obviously was not a concern.

The whole series was reduced to a rank amateur production.
Season II will not be on my watch list.

:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown: Lousy job!
I don't get the point of why they did it. They have to know that most of their viewers have at least a clue about the Breeder's Cup dates.

It was a real idiotic way to go.

Doc
03-15-2009, 08:42 AM
I agree, Cangamble. I was enjoying the show up until this week. Totally destroyed whatever good feelings I had about it when they tinkered with the Breeders' Cup race order. :ThmbDown:

DanG
03-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't get the point of why they did it. They have to know that most of their viewers have at least a clue about the Breeder's Cup dates.

It was a real idiotic way to go.
If their target audience is “racing fans” would you want to produce the show? I wonder sometimes if we realize how insignificant we are in terms of advertising dollars. This is NOT a racing show. It’s a show about people within a profession that happens to be racing.

If a producer reads this thread the only thing he cares about is are the personalities involved being discussed. To reach ANY type of meaningful share this show must attract people who wind up caring about the participants lives. If Olympic coverage depended upon all the people who were hard-core fans of the un-even bars; they would sell commercial time at a flea market.

Mike Smith has become a focal point of their coverage and Zenyatta was his most dramatic event. Your supposed to build in drama; unless you’re making a documentary which this has nothing to do with.

BTW: Yet another hit for national racing coverage with ESPN dropping the Ky Oaks. Ask the good people of Indiana about the national scope of the Indy 500 today compared to when we were children. You take any crack in the door you can because our sport has done nothing but shun TV coverage since its invention.

Cangamble
03-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Dan, I disagree, I think many viewers have an inkling about racing to begin with and many who don't wind up watching with those who do (spouses and kids, etc.)

There could have been a creative way to keep the drama up without changing the chronology of what happened in the real world.

DanG
03-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Dan, I disagree, I think many viewers have an inkling about racing to begin with and many who don't wind up watching with those who do (spouses and kids, etc.)

There could have been a creative way to keep the drama up without changing the chronology of what happened in the real world.
I respect that CG; :ThmbUp:

Without disagreement there wouldn’t be a PA forum…it would be one long speech.

I think you hit on a key point. I’ve watched it with my daughter and her friends and I’ve yet to hear one complain about race calls; dates of races etc. It’s all a matter of context in many ways. If I watched it at an OTB; I’m sure the reaction might be a little different. :D

Cangamble
03-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I respect that CG; :ThmbUp:

Without disagreement there wouldn’t be a PA forum…it would be one long speech.

I think you hit on a key point. I’ve watched it with my daughter and her friends and I’ve yet to hear one complain about race calls; dates of races etc. It’s all a matter of context in many ways. If I watched it at an OTB; I’m sure the reaction might be a little different. :D
I can live with the race calls.........................barely.

rrbauer
03-15-2009, 10:38 AM
BTW: Yet another hit for national racing coverage with ESPN dropping the Ky Oaks. Ask the good people of Indiana about the national scope of the Indy 500 today compared to when we were children. You take any crack in the door you can because our sport has done nothing but shun TV coverage since its invention.

Racing has shunned TV coverage? Isn't it the other way around? TV covers what viewers are buying and they aren't buying racing. Racing wishes it had the luxury of being able to dictate to the broadcasters.

Pace Cap'n
03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
A valid comparison may be drawn between the reading of a book and then viewing the subsequent movie adaptation. Seldom does the movie correlate to the written word.

The producers have 30 minutes per episode to tell a never-ending (hopefully) story. They have to take some liberties somewhere.

Having said that, it did throw me for a loop when I heard "Zenyatta tomorrow". But it's a small trade-off for the privilege of getting a closer look inside the world of horseracing.

DanG
03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Racing has shunned TV coverage? Isn't it the other way around? TV covers what viewers are buying and they aren't buying racing. Racing wishes it had the luxury of being able to dictate to the broadcasters.
Racing had a chance in the 1960’s to get in on the ground floor of television for pennies on the dollar and blew it. The statement was made in context of our sports history; not the current advertisers demand.

Tom
03-15-2009, 12:07 PM
The show is a complete fraud.
Target audience of not, it is a lie and I have zero respect for liars.

This game comes in only slightly above WWE Wrestling in terms of credibility.
After Friday, I think WWE passed us. The first thing most people think about when they hear "horse racing" is fixed races, crooked game, got a hot tip on a sure thing?

Garbage TV like this crap show only reinforce that.

But then the whole Animal Planet channel has whored itself into a ridiculous clone of Spike TV, so I guess garbage gets a seat at the head of the table.

The government, the banks, Wall Street, cable TV, now Jockeys.....does anyone have a shred on integrity left out there?

Tom
03-15-2009, 12:09 PM
A valid comparison may be drawn between the reading of a book and then viewing the subsequent movie adaptation. Seldom does the movie correlate to the written word.

But in Gone With the Wind, the yankees still won. If the "jockey-jerks" had done that one, the South would have won. :rolleyes::D

Niko
03-15-2009, 12:46 PM
This reality TV show isn't any different than any other reality TV shows. It's just that we really know what happened in what order beforehand.

There was a TV show called the reality of reality TV that covered some of this. It's all about creating the best script or show within a show that you can.

One of my really good friends worked with someone who's friend was on a reality show called Paradise Island a while back. He was surprised by the liberty's they took with the show. They would clip something he said and put it into another event that happened on another day.

Knowing what type of show it is, I think Jockey's is good overall for racing but they should be careful. Seems like the race calls are getting worse--

I think it's great they're focusing on the riders because they tend to last longer than the horses, if you can get people interested in the personalities of the game, it's good.

DanG
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM

After Friday, I think WWE passed us. The first thing most people think about when they hear "horse racing" is fixed races, crooked game, got a hot tip on a sure thing?

But then the whole Animal Planet channel has whored itself into a ridiculous clone of Spike TV, so I guess garbage gets a seat at the head of the table.

The government, the banks, Wall Street, cable TV, now Jockeys.....does anyone have a shred on integrity left out there?
Wow Tom; :eek:

I guess that DVD of the 1st season I bought you will become a coaster! :)

Marshall Bennett
03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Wow Tom; :eek:

I guess that DVD of the 1st season I bought you will become a coaster! :)
more likely a frisbee . :lol:

classhandicapper
03-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't know guys. I'm really enjoying the show. I actually look forward to it. It's one of my favorite realty shows. Of course, I'm a reality junkie and also watch "For the Love of Ray Jay", "I love Money", and "Rock and Roll Bus" etc...:D

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Precisely....this show, unfortunately, is just another example of how everything seems to be false these days....at first, I thought that any exposure is good exposure. After watching this show, I cant say I feel that way because this is false, untrue exposure.

What is really disappointing is that so many parts of Horse Racing would make great reality shows.....a real show about jockeys, a show about a prominent owner(Paul Pompa maybe) and how hard it is to compete? A show about trainers? A show about the Pick 6 that follows Pick 6 players?

Any of these would be great but somehow, nooone will do it---what is really disappointing is that any of theses shows could be done by TVG or HRTV but conflicts of interest and/or lack of creativity prevent it.

I know that people want to put a positive spin on the jockeys but lets face it----it stinks

SMOO
03-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't know guys. I'm really enjoying the show. I actually look forward to it. It's one of my favorite realty shows. Of course, I'm a reality junkie and also watch "For the Love of Ray Jay", "I love Money", and "Rock and Roll Bus" etc...:D

Precisely what they are looking for. They don't care about the hard core race fans, just the widest possible audience. So in that way they have actually done a good job which is why it was renewed.

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Precisely what they are looking for. They don't care about the hard core race fans, just the widest possible audience. So in that way they have actually done a good job which is why it was renewed.

I think you just hit the nail on the head in terms of the problem with TV programming in general----people want crap and eat it up and that results in a crappy product overall and crappy shows getting renewed....Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, etc....I guess I am just disappointed that Horse Racing had to get dragged in.

If the show does get new racing fans involved and that helps racing moving forward, then OK but I dont think that is a guarantee....

SMOO
03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I think you just hit the nail on the head in terms of the problem with TV programming in general----people want crap and eat it up and that results in a crappy product overall and crappy shows getting renewed....Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, etc....I guess I am just disappointed that Horse Racing had to get dragged in.

If the show does get new racing fans involved and that helps racing moving forward, then OK but I dont think that is a guarantee....

I'm for anything that brings "newb" money into the pools - if you know what I mean...

:lol:

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm for anything that brings "newb" money into the pools - if you know what I mean...

:lol:

me too....I need all the help I can get lately:)

Grits
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Don't think its a guarantee? :faint:

Aw c'mon Relwob get outta here . . . . I don't think its a shot'n hell.

LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

thruncy
03-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Yesterday in the Strub stakes at Santa Anita Mike Smith and Chantel Sutherland were riding and as luck would have it, they were both going for the same hole to get up at the wire . Smith had to angle out a little to the right and chantel looked like she didnot shut him off and came in 3rd and smith 2nd. Both were on longshots and found myself rooting for them .
I liked the show, but then again I do most anything on racing. The onlly thing I find is the repetition of stuff, and not enough meat but lots of dressing. Guess thats the reality which I find pretentious. Question is , How many people watch the Animal Channel to see it ? Possibly mostly animal lovers ? who would be loathe to see whipping and horses going down. Yet that is part of the reality and action draw of the racing sequences, the danger factor . Will tab for next friday. It's mostly all showbiz now pal. Personalizing the sport has been totally neglected. Chantal--with Smith's help--may eclipse Julie Krone in both popularity & accomplishment. She could be the sport's best hope for some gain in popularity. Despite CDI's obvious disdain for anything about the sport except their "ace in the hole" Kentucky Derby race. Which they now have begun force feeding you down the throat on HRTV. Is CDI still looking for "Chief Party Officers?"...As Hitler once said: Its fortunate zey (the public) are so shtupid. You are the electric, turned on, tuned in; TV generation. A guy named Mcluhan (sp?) once said:"The media is the message." CDI speaks with forked tongue.

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Don't think its a guarantee? :faint:

Aw c'mon Relwob get outta here . . . . I don't think its a shot'n hell.

LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Agreed....:)

Tom
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
What really happens is.....

"Wow, that was a good show. Let's go to the track tomorrow."
"Ok, sounds good."

next day

"Here we are at the track! Where are Mike and Chantel?"
"Hey, look....slots! Let's go play some."
"Cool....action, baby!"

SMOO
03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
What really happens is.....

"Wow, that was a good show. Let's go to the track tomorrow."
"Ok, sounds good."

next day

"Here we are at the track! Where are Mike and Chantel?"
"Hey, look....slots! Let's go play some."
"Cool....action, baby!"
And because of their slot & beer money the track can continue to operate & increase purses for the horsemen. Win/Win!

JPinMaryland
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Racing had a chance in the 1960’s to get in on the ground floor of television for pennies on the dollar and blew it. The statement was made in context of our sports history; not the current advertisers demand.

Can you elaborate on this Dan? I am not well versed in the history of the sport. Although I think it had pretty durn good popularity along with boxing at least through the 1950s. I know there was some downturn in the 60s. What are you referring to?

DanG
03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Can you elaborate on this Dan? I am not well versed in the history of the sport. Although I think it had pretty durn good popularity along with boxing at least through the 1950s. I know there was some downturn in the 60s. What are you referring to?
I don’t have time to look for the exact article JP, but my thoughts were shaped by reading a Stan Bergstein’s article in “Across the Tracks” http://www.harnesstracks.com/commentary.htm (Bottom of page has all the archives.)

Stan was on the ground floor of promoting Harness racing through television and met tremendous resistance from an industry that likes to maintain its axis. A search through these excellent articles has some very interesting thoughts on when TV time was offered for a song and dance; and the resistance the Thoroughbred / Harness rank and file exerted.

(I know…many articles on that site. Sorry; I wish I could articulate it better) :blush:

JustRalph
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
ok.........time to spice this show up a bit.

Introduce a few more handicappers.....instead of the "hat" guy.

before they run a race.....run all this bullshit fake drama from the jocks .........let them crow about how their 30-1 shot has a "great chance today" ...let the handicappers give their opinion on who is going to win..........and then go back to them after the race............. show the handicapping side............ except I am afraid that it would make the jocks look like crap

in the 3rd season..........change the name of the show to handicappers...........

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
ok.........time to spice this show up a bit.

Introduce a few more handicappers.....instead of the "hat" guy.

before they run a race.....run all this bullshit fake drama from the jocks .........let them crow about how their 30-1 shot has a "great chance today" ...let the handicappers give their opinion on who is going to win..........and then go back to them after the race............. show the handicapping side............ except I am afraid that it would make the jocks look like crap

in the 3rd season..........change the name of the show to handicappers...........

The Hat Guy said he bet 700 to win on Curlin in the Classic, i believe, which has to be in the running for the Worst Value Play ever....I also think that in general, he kind of plays to a stereotype that most full time gamblers might not want to be lumped in with(seemed like a little know it all...)

I like the Handicappers idea-I would love a show that focused on one of the Syndicates that bet the Pick 6 regularly-if people watch poker, they will watch that, no? Like you said, the before and after would be awesome

JPinMaryland
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I usually watch most horse racing related tv shows, but Jockeys is just horrible. It is not the fake race calls, because if it was that alone I could probably buy into it just for the drama. But like most every other reality show they have these characters talk to each other and its like they're reading from cue cards. The Mike Smith/Chantel dialogue is like from some soap opera, do bickering couples really allow a tv camera to film them? Jesus if they had a camera on when I argue with my wife it would be really ugly.

Maybe that's just me but so much of this reality show stuff is so manufactured it is hard to believe people talk like this. :ThmbDown:

JPinMaryland
03-16-2009, 09:26 PM
The Hat Guy said he bet 700 to win on Curlin in the Classic, i believe, which has to be in the running for the Worst Value Play ever...

No that would be the anonymous whale who bet $1.5 million on Sweet Northern Saint in the final tick prior to the 2006 derby. But then again you said "in the running" so maybe you have a pt. :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I usually watch most horse racing related tv shows, but Jockeys is just horrible. It is not the fake race calls, because if it was that alone I could probably buy into it just for the drama. But like most every other reality show they have these characters talk to each other and its like they're reading from cue cards. The Mike Smith/Chantel dialogue is like from some soap opera, do bickering couples really allow a tv camera to film them? Jesus if they had a camera on when I argue with my wife it would be really ugly.

Maybe that's just me but so much of this reality show stuff is so manufactured it is hard to believe people talk like this. :ThmbDown:

Its not just you.....I cringe when I see them together and add to that the fact that they splice everything to produce fake drama....Court even admitted they made him do his temper tantrum three times

Tom
03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
3b2jmRcKY2I&feature=related

Cangamble
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
3b2jmRcKY2I&feature=related
That monkey is way too big. He needs to jog around the zoo, get in the sauna, and purge his bananas.

joanied
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I can hardly beleive we have 13 pages of posts aboutthis show...I would ope the folks that are producing it, will read our posts...if they do come back for season #2...it'd help the show if they would read our 'reviews'.

I recorded all the episodes, and just got to watch the last one yesterday...and although I made some of the same complaints as most of us did... I was enjoying the ride...but the last episode left me in the gate...it was not good.
Why did they think they had to switch around the order of BC races...dumb move...and the voice over race calls for the BC races were awful...and they made you think that Aron G is a lower level jock, for cryin' out loud...and I got sick and tired of hearing the same words from all the jocks..."I can't tell you how wonderful it would be to win a BC race...it means everything to my career"...DUH...do they have to go over the same crap time after time?
I did enjoy Mike Smith...he seemed to have all the best lines and the was the best at describing what he does.

I hope season two is a better show...I'd like to see them focus on the horses more...the relationship some jocks form with a horse they ride on a regular basis...and maybe they could use 10 minutes of every episode to highlight a particular horse that is a stakes winner one of the jocks rides...show that horse in the morning, show it's parents on the farm, explain it's pedigree...something that the casual fan might find really interesting.

Ohwell...it's over with now:faint: ....how about another one: "Trainers";)

JPinMaryland
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
>> I would hope the folks that are producing it, will read our posts...if they do come back for season #2...it'd help the show if they would read our 'reviews'.

[knocks]

"Hey come on in Marvin, we've just been reviewing last season's jocks show and we've got some boffo ideas..'

"Oh yeah me too, Jerry. You know I've reading this discussion group called PA and they spotted some problems with the show our focus groups seemed to have missed."

"Hmm, what's a discussion group? Someone on standards and practices?"

"No, no. These are people who debate on the internet. Sort of an open forum."

"Oh well great. How many viewers are on this board?"

"About 7 or 8. Real hard core racing fans."

"Yeah um lessee we get 8 more viewers and we'll boost our ratings share to 1.2002. I guess we can forget getting Coke and Ford this year huh Marv?"

"Well they say the coverage needs to be more about what goes in racing E.g. how the race is run. THe strategy. That sort of thing."

"Oh hey that's great Marv. Look at this, we've got coverage of a horse actually breaking in two...Look look stop it right here. Stop it and... see? Look the horse is wrapping itself over the rail and landing right on ITS" HEAD!

"Uggh."

"It's freakin HEAD, dude! Look at that..."

"Do you think people can stomach this for an intro.."

"Yeah I know we thought about it long and hard we even spoke with PETA folks

"PETA will not be happy with this, Jerry I know it I was there for the Oscar Meyer truck. Not pretty."

"and Aaron says we get 150,000 viewers for every breakdown we show on the intro. More when the jock is flat out unconscious. But we cant differentiate like audience share for each casaulty..."

"PETA will hate you for this..."

"No, no. It's sweeeet action."

"I dont get it.

"Remember Alligator man?

"Oh Yeah, that Steve Allen guy got eaten by a shark down?

"NO, not a shark. A sting ray Marv. Sting RAY!.

"Yeah oh right. Yeah now I remember. We interviewed the widow and then we got her kid on that show with the monkees...

"Yeah, monkees are great. Hey did you contact that guy with the video of the chimp on Thorazine?

"No, well. I dunno the tapes been impounded by the coroner in connecticut or something. Not gonna happen this season..

"yeah. No, no I mean. WE got THE TAPE..."

"Of.......?"

"Of Alligator man and Sting Ray. That effin sting ray nailed him dead in the chest.

"Jeezus.."

"Oh it was like Saving Private Ryan w/o the tidal surge..You know the whole blood spurting out and...

"ENough! Peta wont do this..

"We told Peta we'd wont show the tape. You know out of "respect" for the family..But not before that short promo video got "accidentally" released on the internet.."

"And they're attorney signed off on that horse meat sandwich you saw..Sweet huh?

"These horse racing fans are worried that the product is sort of dumbed down, you know??

"Yeah I know it's dumb as shit. So are dime superfectas. So is Jeff Foxworthy..."

"But can we keep the show up like this??

"Not for long but wait Marv, look look at this . See it? Look at the bubbles, now watch it....THERE! What do you think that is?

"Ummm. Gee a shark tank??

"NO! That's a Hidden, underwater steam room camera, can you believe it? "

[laughs]

"Yeah, we worked a deal with the jockey club and they get a royalty for every pt over 5 on the overnights.

"....what does Chantal say?

"Dude, look over on the right hand side.. See that?....

....inner thigh, BABY!"

"Woah! prime cuts! Wait till Shel sees this."

joanied
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
JPinMaryland...
Well, you sure spent a ton of time typing all that...and since you used my quote about the folks that produce the show should read through our posts... it seems you are mocking me:eek: ...7 or 8 of us...there are over 13 pages in this thread, maybe you are mocking all of us...if I am taking your post the wrong way, I apologize...but there is such a sarcastic tone to it, I assume you are making fun of what I said... I do hope I am wrong about that.

JPinMaryland
03-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Rest easy there Joanie. You are wrong. :cool:

joanied
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Rest easy there Joanie. You are wrong. :cool:

JP...Ok, then...that is good to know...sometimes it's hard to tell what a posters 'tone of voice' might be...I'm glad to be wrong about yours, and appreciate you letting me know...I was wrong:blush: ...my bad :bang:

Have a good one:jump:

rumsplash
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Boy.. Does Joe Talamo come off as a cocky little kid or what!!

joanied
03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Boy.. Does Joe Talamo come off as a cocky little kid or what!!

You noticed that too...someone needs to tie that kids feet to the ground:D