PDA

View Full Version : TLG at Horsemen's Park in Omaha

cnollfan
01-31-2009, 09:29 PM
TLG,

Thanks for coming to Horsemen's Park. I think it's a nice facility.

cnollfan

Track Collector
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I agree that Horseman's Park Omaha is a very nice simulcast facility. (I also recall them also having a poker tournament there the last time I visited.) I have yet to attend the annual (4-day) live racing festival held every July, but I understand it is very popular, even if only 4 races per day are offered.

dutchboy
02-01-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.theindependent.com/articles/2009/01/29/news/local/doc497e953eb2207878161244.txt

Article on the future of racing in Nebraska. Does not look good.

the little guy
02-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks. I had a great time. Great place and terrific fans.

hbeck
02-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I could have used your analysis yesterday at AQU!!! I would have had the early pick four but I couldn't convince myself to put Knock Around Guy in the first leg, race #2.

Ended up paying 7K for a buck. Oh well.

rjorio
02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Come home to aqueduct, TLG,come home.

delayjf
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Article on the future of racing in Nebraska.

Had they done what the article is talking about back in the early 90's, AK-SAR-BEN would be running today. I miss that track.

startngate
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Article on the future of racing in Nebraska.

Had they done what the article is talking about back in the early 90's, AK-SAR-BEN would be running today. I miss that track.Ak-Sar-Ben was not closed due to economics ... it was still doing fine financially when the track was purchased from the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. They weren't making the coin they were making in their hayday, but were in no danger of folding.

At that point, it was a political deal, and no amount of alternative gaming would have saved Ak-Sar-Ben from it's fate. The property value was too high, and Omaha needed to protect the job losses from First Data Resources threatening to move out of town, plus they needed to expand the University of Nebraska-Omaha's campus. That's why Ak-Sar-Ben was ultimately killed off.

It is certainly possible that with alternative gaming that the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben may have held off on the original sale, or would have offered to move to another location in the Omaha area. Once they sold it though, it was all over, as the county never had any intentions of keeping it open past whatever time it took to get all the permits done for their 'economic development project'.

cj
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I hear in addition to some valuable insights about the Aqu inner dirt, TLG was also able to provide some helpful tips on the irrigation of corn fields.

the little guy
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I hear in addition to some valuable insights about the Aqu inner dirt, TLG was also able to provide some helpful tips on the irrigation of corn fields.

There are really no limits to my areas of expertise.

OTM Al
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
There are really no limits to my areas of expertise.

Now all you need to do is convince our mutual friend of that :)

cj
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Obviously.

ddog
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM

sorry i missed you, i am up there a lot, last weekend was too busy to make it though.

Lots of salt of the earth type horse people there.

maybe next time.

S'gate is right on the demise , all a political deal, inside ball, they never had a prayer.

the little guy
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Now all you need to do is convince our mutual friend of that :)

Like most also rans, he will eventually tire from chasing.

cnollfan
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben was not closed due to economics ... it was still doing fine financially when the track was purchased from the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. They weren't making the coin they were making in their hayday, but were in no danger of folding.

At that point, it was a political deal, and no amount of alternative gaming would have saved Ak-Sar-Ben from it's fate. The property value was too high, and Omaha needed to protect the job losses from First Data Resources threatening to move out of town, plus they needed to expand the University of Nebraska-Omaha's campus. That's why Ak-Sar-Ben was ultimately killed off.

It is certainly possible that with alternative gaming that the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben may have held off on the original sale, or would have offered to move to another location in the Omaha area. Once they sold it though, it was all over, as the county never had any intentions of keeping it open past whatever time it took to get all the permits done for their 'economic development project'.

That's exactly what happened. The last couple years Ak-Sar-Ben was open they wouldn't clean the bird droppings off the seats for opening day and there would be piles of trash in the aisles.

CryingForTheHorses
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Great fans here too...Come to Calder TLG

cj
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm sure if you could entice Karl to come out it would be worth the price of the trip and so much more.

ArlJim78
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Come out to Arlington, you may not want to go back.

the little guy
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm sure if you could entice Karl to come out it would be worth the price of the trip and so much more.

I have a pretty good idea who Karl is.

the little guy
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Great fans here too...Come to Calder TLG

I've been to Calder plenty of times.

I would like to get down to Florida this winter but I probably won't be able to make it.

delayjf
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM

I had heard that First Data was bluffing and that it would have been too costly to move and rebuild at another location - something about having access to networks that had been built by the Air Force. As it's been a while since I've been to Omaha, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they end up building a new office across the street at 72 & Pacific? And If so, who ended up building on the old AK property?

IMHO, UNO dorms are a joke and could have been built at another location, They are still at least a few miles from the UNO campus and it's an STEEP up hill walk. And how many students can they fit into those dorms anyway. They could have built dorms like those at UNL (high rise structures) as opposed to the spread out two story apartment style. OR they could have built those dorms in the South west corner of the AK parking lot.

Remember also that the guy who owned Runza hut offered to buy Ak-SAR-BEN, and give land to both UNO and First Data. It could have worked out for everybody. I can't help but wonder whatever became of those on the city counsel who voted against AK-SAR-BEN. Wouldn't be surprised if they are now working for First Data or the Univesity.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. :mad:

But thanks for your insight.