PDA

View Full Version : TVG takeover

cees with dees
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I hope and pray Ken Rudolph is on the unemployment line amongst many others.
When he says pre-race, "Good luck and enjoy", the hair on my neck stands up.
Taking the day off and my dad in Fla. gave me his Gulfstream picks so I'm going to boot them home in between College Football.
Good luck to all and make some money.
Ben

BombsAway Bob
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
C's w/ D's...College Football? The NFL network showing another Bowl Game I can't/won't see? :confused:

Speed Figure
01-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Taking the day off and my dad in Fla. gave me his Gulfstream picks so I'm going to boot them home in between College Football.
Ben
What the #@?! is he supposed to say, "I HOPE YOU ALL #@?!ING LOSE!

Endsweep24
01-31-2009, 02:05 PM

Ben

Man o Man I need an English Major here

1. Good Luck and Enjoy=Hair on Neck Standing Up

2. Good Luck to all and Make some Money=well wishes to Forum Members

is this an Oxymoron, Paradox or Contradiction :confused: :confused:

exiles
01-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I hope the guy w/ the aggressive singles on his pick 4 and pick 6 tickets gets canned first.

JustRalph
01-31-2009, 04:58 PM

That I would love to hear. :lol:

I heard the other day, Simon was bragging on Rudolph making some money the last six months or so. He hit a nice pick6 and some very nice pick 4's . He has surely improved.

cj's dad
01-31-2009, 05:58 PM

It's the trash of the month for TVG, only 1 day early.

Folks forget the pre simulcast-TVg-HRTV days and the bitching never ends.
Ken Rudolph is a decent guy - whats the deal CEES w/ DEES

Hajck Hillstrom
01-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I hope the guy w/ the aggressive singles on his pick 4 and pick 6 tickets gets canned first.To whom are you referring to.... Matt Carothers or Todd Schrupp?

exiles
01-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Matt ,and Todd , hmm tough choice can'm both at the same time

onefast99
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Matt ,and Todd , hmm tough choice can'm both at the same time
I met Matt two years ago at the Grey Goose Breeders Cup party he is a good guy, bigtime Minnesota twins fan and a very funny person. I always thought he was much taller but he's on the short side. I think he adds a lot to TVG. Simon is also entertaining. If you are trying to make a living off their picks or HRTV's picks you better have a cash cow in the yard.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
I hope and pray Ken Rudolph is on the unemployment line amongst many others.Why would anyone hope and pray for something like this? Did the man run over your dog?

onefast99
01-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Why would anyone hope and pray for something like this? Did the man run over your dog?
Maybe someone had a rough day at the track, watching college football? Maybe he meant NCAA basketball.

exiles
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
I I met Matt two years ago at the Grey Goose Breeders Cup party he is a good guy, bigtime Minnesota twins fan and a very funny person. I always thought he was much taller but he's on the short side. I think he adds a lot to TVG. Simon is also entertaining. If you are trying to make a living off their picks or HRTV's picks you better have a cash cow in the yard.

I look at their picks so i know who the 1st throw outs are.

Speed Figure
01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Why would anyone hope and pray for something like this? Did the man run over your dog?
It seems fair, let me hate the only black guy on the network!

exiles
01-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Take it easy man.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Take it easy man.What exactly does this mean? Take it easy?

If Speed Figure were writing this while sitting in a nice comfortable chair, wouldn't he be taking it easy?

JustRalph
01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
In this economy, I wouldn't wish unemployment on anybody

You gotta remember, the "hosts" do most of the talking, if they get under your skin........because they talk too much..........you have to understand the nature of the broadcast.

GaryG
02-01-2009, 08:41 AM
The only time I watch TVG without the mute button is when Rich Perloff is on.

HUSKER55
02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
If the man is enept then you are entitled to your opinion. If you think he is not, then you are entitled to your opinion.

The question is "Who gets the ratings". Ineptness means no money.

Welcome to the free market

NY BRED
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
The biggest issue wih TVG is the dialogue has little to do with handicapping
horses but centers on pick 3,4 and pick 6 bets .

For the sake of simplicity,the new ownership could supply
info generated the DRF consensus or poll a group of seasoned handicappers
and do better to create fan interest and save a ton of $$$.

Further, several of the commentators are obnoxious and consistently
downplay their fellow hosts which is why I always turn down the volume
when home.

slew101
02-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I also never understood the fixture on the Pick 4 and Pick 6s. That just never ends, and the tickets usually crash and burn in the first leg.

Are they still doing that crazy stunt with the final leg in some of the Pick 4s and Pick 6s hidden on TV and you have to be a TVG bettor to get their last pick?

That was frecking comical. I doubt they still do that but I haven't watched them much lately.

Marshall Bennett
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
You would think by now after all the negative feedback surrounding their pick 6 format , pick 6 central , and/or whatever , they would change . They just don't get it , or have nothing better to do . I , along with many others I assume , have e-mailed in regards to their programing . I seldom watch anymore , except maybe Mondays and Tuesdays when Rich is on . I'm sure there are those there that view this forum on occasion . I beleive the train wreck that awaits them has been in the making for some time , and they've made little or no attempt to right themselves

BUD
02-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Being able in some odd ways to relate to that---I understand.

Laughing myself silly---But I understand---If not I need A Med adjustment and soon!!:D

startngate
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Minor update of information today ...

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/49055.htm?id=49055

BlueShoe
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Perhaps Betfair will eliminate that annoying 25 cent charge per bet?Not holding my breath on that one.Anyway,find Ken R. to be one of better and more tolerable of the many TVG hosts.They all have to prattle,it is part of the job,

Relwob Owner
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Ben

Whatever one thinks of TVG, they are leaps and nouns better than the stiffs at HRTV-I met all of the guys pon my honeymoon(god bless my wife) and they are all very cool, especially Todd. On the air, i think Mr. B is useless. I also think Frank Lyons should take a flying leap-he is an alcoholic loser and they all act like he is the King, for some reason-you would think that he could holf off on drinking a bit when he is working the next day.....I saw him again at the Breeders Cup a few years ago and he was a jerk

All in all, I think TVG does a pretty good job

Relwob Owner
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I have always been amazed that they have so few shows focusing on discussing horse racing topics in an honest manner.....I am sure that they dont say what they think much because they are afraid the people they would be commenting on wouldnt give them access......also, has noone mentioned Nick Hines? As someone who has never seen some of the annoying aspects that others refer to, I can honestly say that he is the most annoying people I have ever heard.....he failed as a trainer and him and his boy Guillot seem to be failing with that Sothern Equine deal.....most of their horses seem to have been overpaid for and they got in right at the peak of the market-him and his cliches need to be shown the door

Nice to see one post earlier give props to Rich Perloff....he is good

slew101
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
In this day and age, nobody should be paying a fee to place a bet. I know they cap it at $20 a month max, but that is still robbery. Don't play at TVG and pay a fee. There are plenty of alternatives that don't charge a fee.

Perhaps Betfair will eliminate that annoying 25 cent charge per bet?Not holding my breath on that one.Anyway,find Ken R. to be one of better and more tolerable of the many TVG hosts.They all have to prattle,it is part of the job,

BlueShoe
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
That means that you have to place 80 bets during the month for the surcharge to go away.For careful spot players or occassional weekend bettors,this wager level might not be reached.

JustRalph
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
http://handride.blogspot.com/2009/02/golden-opportunity-missed-again.html

snip

Why do sports want to control their networks? There's a ton of reasons, but know that every major sport (and minor) has decided it's in their best interest. So, we can agree/disagree about the strengths and weaknesses, but in the end everyone else has one.

And yet when the opportunity arose for an industry entity to buy TVG everyone fell silent. $50,000,000 that's all it took. That's the value of Curlin last year pretty much. It's a disgrace that given a golden opportunity everyone again decided to bury their heads in the sand.

unsnip

BUD
02-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks Ralph! Good blog. I've Never seen it before----Just a quick comment on the comments---I know TVG is on Charter Cable Here---I had to give it up with the Whiskey when The little one made the Pro's And I had to get the crappy NFL Package so I could see my own Nephew.-------Begging the wife----Can we get the Cable back---Free TVG and 5 bucks for HRTV---Then in Sept we get Direct again for Football season.....;.

WTFG is the NFL Network--MLB network--now-----for that matter the Golf Network at anytime-------

We all know the Speed Channels day in the sun will be in a week or 2----The Speed week

But Ah eff it I had this rant before---Its kinda like dejavu--------

machine
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the link that's my blog, and it's been pointed out that the original price tag was $150, but that misses the point I was making. The owners and breeders of horses are some of the richest people in the world. Why they weren't involved even a little is beyond me.

And if you've never seen my blog before I don't blame you, it's just little ol' me, but check out my group http://thoroughbredbloggersalliance.blogspot.com/
we have free pp's sorted by track in order. Not gonna get better than that.

Thanks!
handride

startngate
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
And yet when the opportunity arose for an industry entity to buy TVG everyone fell silent. $50,000,000 that's all it took. That's the value of Curlin last year pretty much. It's a disgrace that given a golden opportunity everyone again decided to bury their heads in the sand.Everyone did not fall silent ... it was widely speculated that Churchill was also trying to buy TVG ...

Paulick Report (http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/category/churchill-downs-inc/)
Courier-Journal (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090127/BUSINESS/90127038/1002/rss07)
Pace Advantage (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52813)

Of course since they are a public company they are never going to comment, but when speculation like this finally shows up in print, you can bet they really were looking.

Personally I would have liked to see them get it, as having two channels operating in a complimentary mode would have been good for racing. Who knows what will happen now.

While you blog makes a good point, unfortunately all of the groups you mentioned which have their own networks also have one other thing in common ... a strong national governing body.

Racing lacks this, and therein lies one of the biggest problems it faces ... too many divergent interests, and a lack of vision to figure out how to get the industry to work together for the common good.

DeanT
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I think the difference in the TV angle is a big one because we are dealing with an entity that does not make their money from showing a sport to get people to watch it, it makes money from getting people watching it to bet on it.