PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is there just no interest yet for Ky Derby?

pktruckdriver
01-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Here it is almost February and no talk of this horse or that one, unlike last year, we had War Pass , Pyro and a about 3-6 other horses that we were all talking about, a few from Cali, a few from Fla, and then even a few others, too.

This year seems to be a secret, at least to me, did we not have about 3-6 horses go to Dubai to train for the derby there, will the money earned over there count for the derby standings, or must the money be won in the US, or if they belong to the Shiek , can you buy your way into the Derby, by supplemental entrance fees, now understand I do not know about these things, and that is why I am asking, okay.

This is what I know, and it may be off a little ,let me know if so, thanks.

Midshipman 1.3 million

Square Eddie about 750,000

Pioneer of the nile about 1/2/ million

Then Big Drama and Vineyard Haven about 400,000 or so

Those are the top 5 money earners so far, but still no real buzz for them yet.

How bout we put up our picks now for this race, there are still about 25 or so more horses that will have a say in Churchhill this May, but have we seen them race yet, that too is the question, isnt it.

Who have we not seen yet, and what races will those horses be shooting for, BB went to Florida for his trip to Ky, who will repeat that attempt this year, some try Keeneland for there entry to the Derby, will it be a 3 races or less Derby winner this year, it seems to be the trend, though new trend, I admit, but to me a trend for a less raced horse for the Triple Crown as the Horse who has any serious chance of winning the Crown, must be in GREAT SHAPE, and ready for 2 months of extraordinary stamina and speed, and most of all be fit to race, as almost all contenders for the crown lately have been pushed too hard, or were just not in perfect shape to begin with, but that is another story, and we will keep that for later. Like BB not taking medicne he took for the 1st 2legs and in NY could not or would not, some say cost him the Crown, who knows for sure, not me.

But will there ever be another Triple Crown winner today with none of the drugs allowed back then , will be allowed today, I want to believe there will be , but honestly do not think there will be, God I hope I am wrong, really I do.

Well enough blabbering for now, what is your opinion.

Joanied, I would be interested in how you see the Derby shaping up, you seem to follow this pretty well, and I have enjoyed your previous posts.

Thanks
Patrick

goforgin
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
For me it's way too early. Up until several years ago I would always jump on the bandwagon of some big named 2 year-old that either never made it to Churchill or I would watch in dismay as my pre-season tout started back-peddling at the 1/4 pole. Seems to have started in the '90's. I believe owners and trainers are more cautious and prefer the "lightly" raced approach versus the old war horse that showed up on the 1st Saturday in May with 12 or so starts under his belt. Also, some 3 year-olds seem to improve both physically and mentally this timeof the year. Some dramatically overnight. So I prefer the wait and watch appoach so not to get my hopes up too high.

cj's dad
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Seems you're a bit early Patrick. I remember the hype - IMO- typically starts around Florida Derby time, this year it's March 14th. At this point there will still be 7 weeks 'til the KD , which is May 2nd this year.

HOY
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Our annual contest/pool/whatever starts with the Hutch/Bull this weekend. So yeah, im stoked. These horses may not end up in the derby, but the contest = start time for my interest.

Like the NFL, i don't care one bit, but fantasy leagues pulls me in.

Bruddah
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Keep track of the results of the Major Preps. The winner of the Ky Derby will probably come from one of the top two finishers in those races. Look for the proper Raise A Native bloodline in that group and you will have better than an 85% chance of finding the Derby winner.

Good Luck and Good Truckin' :ThmbUp:

JWBurnie
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Does anyone have a list of all the qualifying 3 yo. races? Thanks.

pktruckdriver
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Jan 17 California DerbyGolden Gate $100,000HRTVJan 19 Smarty JonesOaklawn $50,000HRTVJan 30 HutchesonGulfstreamII$150,000HRTVJan 31 Holy BullGulfstreamIII$150,000HRTVFebruaryFeb 7 Robert B LewisSanta AnitaII$200,000HRTVFeb 7 Risen StarFair GroundsIII$200,000HRTVFeb 7 WhirlawayAqueduct $100,000HRTV, TVGFeb 7 Turf Paradise DerbyTurf Paradise $100,000TVGFeb 14 Sam F. DavisTampa Bay DownsIII$225,000HRTV, TVGFeb 14 El Camino RealGolden Gate FieldsIII$200,000HRTVFeb 16 San VicenteSanta AnitaII$150,000HRTVFeb 16 SouthwestOaklawnIII$250,000HRTVFeb 28 Fountain of YouthGulfstreamII$250,000HRTVFeb 28 ShamSanta AnitaIII$200,000HRTVFeb 28 John Battaglia MemorialTurfway Park $100,000TVGFeb 28 Borderland DerbySunland Park $100,000TVGMarchMar 7 GothamAqueductIII$250,000HRTV, TVGMar 14 Louisiana DerbyFair GroundsII$600,000HRTVMar 14 San FelipeSanta AnitaII$200,000HRTV
Mar 14 RebelOaklawnII$300,000HRTVMar 14 Tampa Bay DerbyTampa Bay DownsIII$300,000HRTV, TVGMar 18 Kempton ChallengeKempton, GB $150,000TVGMar 21 Lane's EndTurfway ParkII$500,000TVGMar 21 RushawayTurfway Park $100,000TVGMar 28 Florida DerbyGulfstreamI$750,000Mar 28 SwaleGulfstreamII$200,000HRTVMar 28 UAE DerbyNad Al ShebaII$2,000,000
Mar 28 San MiguelSanta Anita $70,000HRTVMar 29 Sunland DerbySunland Park $800,000TVGAprilApr 4 Santa Anita DerbySanta AnitaI$750,000Apr 4 Wood MemorialAqueductI$750,000Apr 4 Illinois DerbyHawthorneII$500,000Apr 4 Bay ShoreAqueductIII$200,000HRTV, TVGApr 11 Blue GrassKeenelandI$750,000Apr 11 Arkansas DerbyOaklawnII$1,000,000Apr 18 LexingtonKeenelandII$325,000TVGApr 18 Federico TesioPimlico $150,000HRTVApr 25 Derby TrialChurchill DownsIII$100,000HRTVApr 25 WithersAqueductIII$150,000HRTV, TVGMayMay 2

Kentucky DerbyChurchill DownsI1 1/4 milesNBC

Looks like that did not work try this link...

http://kentucky-derby.blogspot.com/2009/01/prep-race-schedule-2009.html

facorsig
01-30-2009, 09:28 PM
The Experimental Handicap was put up yesterday so the hype should be accelerating. Please see attached.

Relwob Owner
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Here it is almost February and no talk of this horse or that one, unlike last year, we had War Pass , Pyro and a about 3-6 other horses that we were all talking about, a few from Cali, a few from Fla, and then even a few others, too.

This year seems to be a secret, at least to me, did we not have about 3-6 horses go to Dubai to train for the derby there, will the money earned over there count for the derby standings, or must the money be won in the US, or if they belong to the Shiek , can you buy your way into the Derby, by supplemental entrance fees, now understand I do not know about these things, and that is why I am asking, okay.

Midshipman 1.3 million

How bout we put up our picks now for this race, there are still about 25 or so more horses that will have a say in Churchhill this May, but have we seen them race yet, that too is the question, isnt it.

Who have we not seen yet, and what races will those horses be shooting for, BB went to Florida for his trip to Ky, who will repeat that attempt this year, some try Keeneland for there entry to the Derby, will it be a 3 races or less Derby winner this year, it seems to be the trend, though new trend, I admit, but to me a trend for a less raced horse for the Triple Crown as the Horse who has any serious chance of winning the Crown, must be in GREAT SHAPE, and ready for 2 months of extraordinary stamina and speed, and most of all be fit to race, as almost all contenders for the crown lately have been pushed too hard, or were just not in perfect shape to begin with, but that is another story, and we will keep that for later. Like BB not taking medicne he took for the 1st 2legs and in NY could not or would not, some say cost him the Crown, who knows for sure, not me.

But will there ever be another Triple Crown winner today with none of the drugs allowed back then , will be allowed today, I want to believe there will be , but honestly do not think there will be, God I hope I am wrong, really I do.

Joanied, I would be interested in how you see the Derby shaping up, you seem to follow this pretty well, and I have enjoyed your previous posts.

Thanks
Patrick

Very good point-I realized today that it is almost February and almost no horses stick out.....I think that the sad trend of people buying horses here in the fall of their 2YO campaign and bringing them back just for the Derby may continue-kind of takes the fun out of things as it makes it harder to track horses and may end up lessening the importance and excitement of the preps....I know that the guys at IEAH take some heat from people, but at least they are doing their best to get more people involved and I am sure they see this issue as well and will be keeping an eye out for horses to keep here

pktruckdriver
02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Did anyone else notice Flat Out, made an impression on me, how bout you??

It seems this time around the Speed figs are back up, as last year finding something over 100 was hard to do, but this year there are already a fewreal nice fig's to look at, and hopefully they will be repeated, only time will tell.

Are we excited yet, noe not yet...But soon it is coming

Patrick

MickJ26
02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree, with Vineyard Haven and Midshipman overseas training in anonymity, all that's left are Stardom Bound and a bunch of untested and/or mediocre 3yos. Nothing really for the media or the fans to get behind.

bpiets
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Midshipman 1.3 million

Thanks
Patrick

And 'nags' like TERRAIN, DONATIVUM, BUSH RANGER BIG DRAMA MASTERCRAFTSMAN, are NOT mentioned and asome have earned over a MILLION already...lol...not even in the 2009 road to the roses contest ( feb. 14 th 'points' races begin )....and the 2009 kentucky derby 'site' has lots of p'p's for the possible contenders...86 pages thus far... ;) 9 see 'contests' sections 'HEAR'...)... :)

Moyers Pond
02-15-2009, 03:57 PM
This is the weekend I always start to pay attention. This is the first real weekend with multiple graded stakes all over the country for 3yr olds. This weekend there are 4 graded stakes for 3yr olds.