PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

Jimmy712
01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
My wife had her baby shower this past sunday, so I took my first ever trip to the track over at Aqueduct. I have to say it was very interesting. Being a first timer obviously I had no idea what I was doing. I would like to ask what is the best way to learn about this hobby. I want to eventually win.

MickJ26
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
My wife had her baby shower this past sunday, so I took my first ever trip to the track over at Aqueduct. I have to say it was very interesting. Being a first timer obviously I had no idea what I was doing. I would like to ask what is the best way to learn about this hobby. I want to eventually win.

If you treat this as an entertaining and interesting hobby and only spend what you can afford to spend, you win regardless of your bottom line.

Rocklane
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Good advice from MickJ26.

Stop by the library and pick up a couple of handicapping books. Try DRF.com, TVG.com, xpresssbet.com, or NTRA.com, among others. They offer both print and video advice for newcomers.

I do not post here often but there are certainly well meaning members on this board who are also willing to offer their expertise as well.

It is a fun game but unfortunately the industry leaders just can not understand that their customers are those who wager on the races.

Have fun.

maryforney
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd love to know if you went alone, or if some friends took you. And, if you went alone what made you decide to go to the track? In my experience, most newcomers to racing are introduced to the track by a friend or family member; then, they have someone to explain what's going on.

I think horse racing and betting can be a blast at any level, whether you're an absolute neophyte or an experienced handicapper! When I first started going to the track, I just bet on jockeys, sometimes colors of silks, and hunches. Along the way, I gradually absorbed more and more about handicapping, learned to read the Racing Form, etc. A lot of tracks have pretty decent handicapping and newcomer seminars before the races, and those are helpful, too. Have fun!

Jimmy712
01-28-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd love to know if you went alone, or if some friends took you. And, if you went alone what made you decide to go to the track? In my experience, most newcomers to racing are introduced to the track by a friend or family member; then, they have someone to explain what's going on.

I think horse racing and betting can be a blast at any level, whether you're an absolute neophyte or an experienced handicapper! When I first started going to the track, I just bet on jockeys, sometimes colors of silks, and hunches. Along the way, I gradually absorbed more and more about handicapping, learned to read the Racing Form, etc. A lot of tracks have pretty decent handicapping and newcomer seminars before the races, and those are helpful, too. Have fun!

I went with my father in law who knows quite a bit but isn't really a good teacher. Then all the exotic bets threw me way off. I played mostly win and place bets. I had a great time but there is just so much to absorb. Especially the program with all the different stats of the horses.

JustRalph
01-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Jimmy, Aqu is just one of many tracks.

There are some beautiful places to play the horses all over the country. Some have incredibly beautiful vista's and some have beautiful people. Some actually have incredible and friendly customer service.

I suggest you go slow and when you get a question, post a thread and ask it..........no question is too small.........

You have come to the right place

Bruddah
01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Unless you're loaded with handicapping knowledge and a lot of money, it's best to start with the goal of making this a LIFETIME HOBBY. It will take a lot of reading, trial and failure. It's a great sport and a lot about people and general life can be learned. But, it's not a get rich hobby to supplement a family, with a new baby in the house.

Best advice: take it easy and slow and enjoy the learning process, because it is never ending.

I wish God's Blessings, Health and Prosperity on you and your new family.

Best Regards and welcome to Pace Advantage. A great place for you to learn.

Bruddah

kenwoodallpromos
01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
CHARTS, PP's=I would start by going to Equibase.com and print out a few days' RESULTS CHARTS from your local track. Then go to Equibase.com ENTRIES until you find a horse from the RESULTS CHARTS you printed. Then buy a DAILY RACING FORM(DRF) for that day and mark the horse's line from the RESULTS CHARTS, and last line from DRF PAST PERFORMANCES (PP's). That will show you how the PP's are obtained, and an idea why the horse in question is the program odds it currently is. Learn to read 1 complete line from the CHARTS and PP's.

RACE TYPE=You also need to learn basically what the race type is at the top of each race in the program or PP's (purse, distance, grass/dirt/artificial track). you can look at the PP's upper right for each horse to see how it did before in that type of race.
Since you know someone, they can go through and help you; just be prepared to need to take a few times to figure them out. Generally you can figure the horse's record for win/place (second)/ show (third)/and (fourth). Win/place/show (WPS) are the basis for those type bets, and including fourth are the basis for "exotic" bets (2 or more horses on certain bets). Daily Double is 2 winners in 2 races, and "Pick" bets are winners in consecutive races. Exacta, Trifecta, etc. are- which order horses finish in 1 race.
WINNING= If the track paid back 100% of what they take in on bets, all you would need to do is be better than the next bettor; BUT the track on average takes about 20%. But do not worry too much- the best 2 horses in each race usually return enough money so you can do OK for now.
ODDS= odds (for the current race, today's) are figured by adding the top and bottom numbers together. For example- if a horse is 1/1 (1 to 1), he has 1 in 2 chances to win in someone's opinion; 2/1, 1 in 3 chances; 4/1, 1 in 5 chances; 5/2, 2 in 7 chances.
PAYOFFS= For odds with a number 2 on the bottom, add both numbers; for odds with a number 1 on bottom, add both numbers and double that; this will give you a close idea of what the horse will payoff if it wins on a $2.00 win bet.
WEATHER= Really wet weather can mess up race predictions.
LONE SPEED= If there is a horse entered into the race, regardless of odds, who is the only one who shows really fast starting speed it can go in front all the way and win. Check the PP's at around the 22-25 second mark in the race and see if any are like 1 whole second faster than the rest for the same distance past races!!

Jimmy712
01-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Well I have my left pocket money and my seperate fun money so I will be careful not to go crazy. As a beginner should I stick with win, place and show bets for now? What is a safe way to start?

hoovesupsideyourhe
01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
you shouldent make a bet until you understand the basics.as some have already stated read a few books. then make some 'play bets' record how much you have wagerd vs how much you would have won.continue the dry runs until you grasp the game. its a life long puzzle to keep you busy for a long time. have fun.

Jimmy712
01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
you shouldent make a bet until you understand the basics.as some have already stated read a few books. then make some 'play bets' record how much you have wagerd vs how much you would have won.continue the dry runs until you grasp the game. its a life long puzzle to keep you busy for a long time. have fun.

Thanks for the advice

Jimmy712
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
If anyone on here goes to aqueduct and would like to meet up let me know, I live within walking distance of the track.

salty
01-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I think you're on the right track with the win and place betting. Don't let the stats get confusing.

http://www.hulu.com/tvg
watch some of the horseracing a-z videos

JustRalph
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I think you're on the right track with the win and place betting. Don't let the stats get confusing.

http://www.hulu.com/tvg
watch some of the horseracing a-z videos

Salty, great post, I forgot all about that site............ :ThmbUp:

point given
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Since you live close to a track, try going there and pick up a discarded DRF while hanging around for a while . Try handicaping a few races later at home and then check out how the races played out using the results charts online. BTW, Get your father in law to teach you how to read the form first and also pick up a how to read the DRF by DRF at the track or online. I'd also read a good comprehensive handicapping book, Davidowitz wrote a good one. this should get you started on your way. Oh yeah, do take a good look at the horses while you are at the track , getting saddled , in the paddock , in the post parade , warming up and observe their behaviour, looks etc. this is a big advantage you have living nearby a track. Observation can be a good tool if you get a feel for it and the horses are such magnifcent animals . Get to know one or two local handicappers, maybe friends of your F in law who might be better at explaining things. Its always fun to bounce things off people who you get to know and hang with. It's a great game, have fun.

Jimmy712
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
the site ntra.com was really helpful. They have a section that fully explains the racing form. I feel a lot more comfortable now. Im heading over to Aqueduct today, wish me luck.

salty
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
good luck!

Bruddah
01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
to start this life long learning process, start by making only five (5) $2 bets every time you go to the track. You will be learning two essential skills to becoming a successful handicapper'. Money management and race selection for betting are skills most never learn. If you aren't betting for fun when you are learning, the odds are you will soon lose interest in the sport. You will dig yourself a hole of despair. Why not learn to like what you are doing first and foremost?

Good Luck :ThmbUp:
Bruddah

salty
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
5 $2 bets?

I would say try and only spend $2 each race.
Set a limit of $4-$5 per race

Bruddah
01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
5 $2 bets?

I would say try and only spend $2 each race.
Set a limit of $4-$5 per race

Salty, I was telling him the same as you. Only you have said it more specifically. Thanks for reemphasizing my advise. :ThmbUp: