PDA

View Full Version : $2.00 bet

BIG HIT
01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey guys what you guys think as far as who is generaly better hdcpr.I have herd keilan told valuist she was only a 2.00 player as could not have any insight.Joe conte was mad at me said anybody had a big hit name was probably just a $2.00 bettor why in the world would you think one has anything to do with the other.?If you bet $2.00 or $100.00 % of amount won is same.
PS This post is not calling out anybody keilan and joe.Keilan has had some good post as well valuist and joe.Just wanted consences of the board.

SMOO
01-28-2009, 09:34 AM
As long as your ROI per $2 bet is over $2 you are a good bettor.

RichieP
01-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw was a $2.00 - $5.00 bettor.

He earned the respect and admiration of such "experts" as Andy Beyer,Len Ragozin,Paul Mellos and Dick Mitchell.

Mitchell would break Hat's balls calling him an "arrogant cowboy". Hat would bark back that it is only arrogance if you can't back it up. He could.

"$2.00 Jimmy" was a name he was called by a few in Pirco. He laughed and told me there was much worse a man could be called :)

Tom Brohammer would tell the story of sitting with Jimmy in the books in Nevada. "We bet 32 races. I bet 2 and Jimmy bet 30" Tom B. would say.
:eek:

Different priorities and strokes for different folks. Here is "The Hat" around his 75th birthday. Rest easy Jim
#:1:

Houndog
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
The size of your bet doesn't correlate to handicapping skill. All of us would like to be able to bet significant amounts at the races. A $2.00 bet is a good starting point. If you can't make money with $2.00 bets; you probably shouldn't consider making $100.00 bets.

Fingal
01-28-2009, 12:13 PM
The words I always think of when someone says a $2 bettor is irrelevant vs a Whale are from the legendary bettor Pittsburgh Phil:

"It is not the heaviest commission that is collected. The weight of the commission does not make a horse win. A poor man's horse and his $10 speak as loudly as a $10,000 commission from a millionaire.
It is the horse that must be considered. "

twindouble
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
The words I always think of when someone says a $2 bettor is irrelevant vs a Whale are from the legendary bettor Pittsburgh Phil:

"It is not the heaviest commission that is collected. The weight of the commission does not make a horse win. A poor man's horse and his $10 speak as loudly as a $10,000 commission from a millionaire.
It is the horse that must be considered. "

Racing has changed an awful lot over the years. The $2.00 better will enjoy watching a lot races but his chances today to make money are very slim or not all.

T.D.

The Judge
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
of multi-millionairs who only bet $2 to win on accasion.

twindouble
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Gee, I didn't know that. I'll make that my goal from here on. :jump:

WinterTriangle
01-29-2009, 02:15 AM

Bet a little to win a lot. Who doesn't love those $2 signer exactas!

I sure hope racing remains a spectator sport, and keeps those $2 bettors in the stands, and at the track.

Where else can ya get all that "atmosphere" for a few bucks, and maybe even get a little back? Not at a ballgame.

SMOO
01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Bet a little to win a lot. Who doesn't love those $2 signer exactas!

I sure hope racing remains a spectator sport, and keeps those $2 bettors in the stands, and at the track.

Where else can ya get all that "atmosphere" for a few bucks, and maybe even get a little back? Not at a ballgame.

I wish they would knock all minimum bets to a dollar MAX, 50 cents would be even better. Only the taxman benefits from larger minimums.

twindouble
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Two dollar straight win tickets are just keep sakes, in most cases. I'm sure many people baught them on Barbaro, Smarty Jones and so on.

When it comes ten cent, one dollar and two dollar plays they always exceed the min wager. You can't bet more than the min wager and call it a "$2.00" play if that's what being said. If I could, I would book all the $2.00 straight plays you want to throw at me.

T.D.

Pace Cap'n
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I wish they would knock all minimum bets to a dollar MAX, 50 cents would be even better. Only the taxman benefits from larger minimums.

Other than the pick-6, most wagers at most tracks can be had for a buck.

Houndog
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
So far I am a bucks and deuces type of bettor. Until I get my emotions under control this is probably the level I should stay at.