A dream awaits in aisle number two

ain't exactly

Some guys they just give up living
Others start dying little by little piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
And go racing in the streets.

OTM Al
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I liked his very early stuff but really don't care much for his stuff since. He almost seems a corporate characture of his old self anymore. And Neil Young deserved the Oscar, not Bruce.....I'll never forgive that one

GaryG
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
or this:

Now, I been lookin for a job, but its hard to find
Down here its just winners and losers and dont
Get caught on the wrong side of that line
Well, Im tired of comin out on the losin end
So, honey, last night I met this guy and Im gonna
Do a little favor for him

pandy
01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I liked his very early stuff but really don't care much for his stuff since. He almost seems a corporate characture of his old self anymore. And Neil Young deserved the Oscar, not Bruce.....I'll never forgive that one

I just got his new cd today, so no comment, but his The Rising, which was released about 5 years ago, is right up there with his best ever, a superb album both lyrically and musically. Very few of these great songwriters are able to stay creative once they past their 30's. Look at McCartney/Lennon, Billy Joel, Elton John, Paul Simon, Carly Simon, Carole King, Neil Young, etc., they wrote all of their great songs when they were anywhere from 16 to 25 years of age. The older the get, the worst the songs get. It's almost as if they lose their inner child. Springsteen has still written some great songs in his late 40's and early 50's, especially on The Rising, which in my opinion is a pop masterpiece.

rastajenk
01-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree entirely on The Rising. I'm always looking forward to the next Bruce offering. Not real keen on some of his political friends, but his body of work earns him a pass from me.

OTM, when did Neil miss out on an Oscar? I missed that.

bigmack
01-27-2009, 06:45 PM
OTM, when did Neil miss out on an Oscar? I missed that.
'93. Nominated tunes:

(Winner)"Streets of Philadelphia" — Philadelphia • Music and lyrics: Bruce Springsteen
"The Day I Fell in Love" — Beethoven's 2nd • Music and lyrics: Carole Bayer Sager
"Philadelphia" — Philadelphia • Music and lyrics: Neil Young
"Again" — Poetic Justice • Music and lyrics: Janet Jackson, James Harris III and Terry Lewis
"A Wink and a Smile" — Sleepless in Seattle • Music: Marc Shaiman • Lyrics: Ramsey McLean

While subjective, Al is wrong.

BruceSpring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L9_8vwx2w8&feature=related)

NeilYou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHpQFF_Et4s)

JustRalph
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
He hasn't been worth a damn since "Nebraska"

lsbets
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
The Rising was an amazing album. His last album was crap.

My wife and I saw him in Dallas last year. He played for about 2 1/2 hours, tons of energy for the whole show. Its amazing when you think about bands like the Stones who now play 45 minutes and charge a fortune for a ticket - he goes out and puts on an awesome show and works his ass off doing it.

We'll see him again on this tour, I just pray he doesn't do "Girls in Their Summer Clothes". That song sucks and he loved doing it last tour.

pandy
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I love that song, you must not be a Beach Boys fan. I've seen him 7 times, last in Philly about 5 years ago, but it was too big, the football stadium. Great band.

sandpit
01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Great writer, but one of the worst singers in the history of music...to hear one of his songs interpreted beautifully and with a nice touch of humor at the end, give a listen to "My Father's House (http://mog.com/contrabandwidth/blog/85775)", an unlisted bonus track on the end of Cowboy Junkies (http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/index.html) album "Rarities, B-Sides, and Slow, Sad Waltzes." The lead singer, Margo Timmins, has one of the most beautiful voices in the history of music. The cut itself is recorded during a pre-show sound check, so it isn't like a normal polished album track, but it's still a treat and great insight on the camaraderie of the band.

blind squirrel
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM

well, "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce is certainly one of his best.
i was reading "Shakey" the biography of Neil by Jimmy McDonough,
Neil wrote "Cowgirl in the Sand" and Down by the River" on the
same day.....with a fever....whoa!...that's good! :cool:

pandy
01-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Great writer, but one of the worst singers in the history of music...to hear one of his songs interpreted beautifully and with a nice touch of humor at the end, give a listen to "My Father's House (http://mog.com/contrabandwidth/blog/85775)", an unlisted bonus track on the end of Cowboy Junkies (http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/index.html) album "Rarities, B-Sides, and Slow, Sad Waltzes." The lead singer, Margo Timmins, has one of the most beautiful voices in the history of music. The cut itself is recorded during a pre-show sound check, so it isn't like a normal polished album track, but it's still a treat and great insight on the camaraderie of the band.

For a rock and roll singer, I think that Springsteen's pretty damn good, but he's no Bocelli or Sinatra. Mick Jagger has a horrible voice but he's a good rock and roll singer. John Lennon was not a virtuoso, but he was also a terrific rock and roll singer. Muddy Waters is considered to be one of, if not the best, blues singer ever. He's one of my favorites. He does not have a beautiful voice, not even close. But he sure has soul.

bigmack
01-27-2009, 08:49 PM
First off, Cowboy Junkies are the worst piece of crap I believe I have ever heard. Margo is a hack and their entire repertoire feels like an overdose of thorazine. Anyone saying she has a gift is touched.

Springsteen ain't no Bocelli? I hope not. He's another hack. Arias for those ill-informed with little in the way of taste.

If you can't get past a gravely voice, don't listen to rock & roll. And never listen to Waits.

Marshall Bennett
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
one of the worst singers in the history of music...
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
'93. Nominated tunes:

(Winner)"Streets of Philadelphia" — Philadelphia • Music and lyrics: Bruce Springsteen
"The Day I Fell in Love" — Beethoven's 2nd • Music and lyrics: Carole Bayer Sager
"Philadelphia" — Philadelphia • Music and lyrics: Neil Young
"Again" — Poetic Justice • Music and lyrics: Janet Jackson, James Harris III and Terry Lewis
"A Wink and a Smile" — Sleepless in Seattle • Music: Marc Shaiman • Lyrics: Ramsey McLean

While subjective, Al is wrong.

BruceSpring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L9_8vwx2w8&feature=related)

NeilYou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHpQFF_Et4s)

Difference is that Neil's song had something to do with the movie and was used at a very moving point. Bruce's had nothing to do with the movie and was used for the end credits. Never did figure out how that qualifies, but it does and more often than not the winners come from that these days, and frankly I thought Bruce's was fairly run of the mill. You can't argue with Bruce fans though, that's something I learned long ago, so glad you enjoy it, but give me Asbury Park any day over the dreck he's put out ever since and partially including Born in the USA

Pace Cap'n
01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I've seent he Stones five times, most recently about five years ago, never saw them play less than two hours, usually more.

OTM Al
01-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I just got his new cd today, so no comment, but his The Rising, which was released about 5 years ago, is right up there with his best ever, a superb album both lyrically and musically. Very few of these great songwriters are able to stay creative once they past their 30's. Look at McCartney/Lennon, Billy Joel, Elton John, Paul Simon, Carly Simon, Carole King, Neil Young, etc., they wrote all of their great songs when they were anywhere from 16 to 25 years of age. The older the get, the worst the songs get. It's almost as if they lose their inner child. Springsteen has still written some great songs in his late 40's and early 50's, especially on The Rising, which in my opinion is a pop masterpiece.

Some of those you are right about, Billy Joel in particular. Elton didn't write his own songs, that was Bernie Taupin. Lennon wrote some great songs, but getting shot kind of ended any chance of knowing where he was headed. Paul Simon did some great work in the 80s, past his 30s by a bit there. Neil still puts out a good one every once in a while. With him though you have to realize that he experiments which can be good or bad. The fairly recent Prairie Wind compares favorably with the albums along the line of Harvest and overall the best of his recent work IMO. And when he decides to give Crazy Horse a call, they can still rock pretty hard.

Speaking of Cowboy Junkies, they do a great cover of Neil's Powderfinger as well.

Marshall Bennett
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Neil still puts out a good one every once in a while.
I was once a huge Neil Young fan . " Tonights the Night " was his signature and in my opinion his best . Unfortunately its been downhill ever since . None the less , ten years from now , he'll still have more talent than Springsteen would ever dream about .

Rookies
01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I was once a huge Neil Young fan . " Tonights the Night " was his signature and in my opinion his best . Unfortunately its been downhill ever since . None the less , ten years from now , he'll still have more talent than Springsteen would ever dream about .

:ThmbUp:

NOW, there's something we can agree upon, Marshall ! I grew up living close to Young in downtown TO, but never got a chance to see him before he fled to the Left Coast.

"Old Man " one of his most poignant, " Southern Man " one of his more political and well done on "4 way suite"- I'm a huge fan.

If you ever get a chance, try to get a copy of his father's book: " Neil & Me. " His dad Scott, was a very, famous Canadian sportswriter. The old changing of the guard routine went like this:

" One day, it was there goes Scott Young, Neil Young's father. "

And then: " There goes Neil Young, Scott's son ! " ;)

slotterhaus
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Elton didn't write his own songs, that was Bernie Taupin.Elton wrote all the music, Taupin the words. Bernie even found time to unload "We Built This City" on Grace Slick and Mickey Thomas.

jballscalls
01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
excited to hear the new boss album. And The Rising was awesome. He said that people in NY after 9/11 were telling him "Bruce we need you" so he went home and penned that masterpiece.

Zaf
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Darkness on the Edge of Town is clearly his best work,

30 years in the making , an all time Great , Classic

Side one
1. "Badlands" – 4:01
2. "Adam Raised a Cain" – 4:32
3. "Something in the Night" – 5:11
4. "Candy's Room" – 2:51
5. "Racing in the Street" – 6:53

Side two
1. "The Promised Land" – 4:33
2. "Factory" – 2:17
3. "Streets of Fire" – 4:09
4. "Prove It All Night" – 3:56
5. "Darkness on the Edge of Town" – 4:30

Agree with Just Ralph, after Nebraska , stick a fork in him , he's done.

Z

JustRalph
01-28-2009, 12:29 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LAz-OoB%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Marshall Bennett
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM

NOW, there's something we can agree upon, Marshall ! I grew up living close to Young in downtown TO, but never got a chance to see him before he fled to the Left Coast.

"Old Man " one of his most poignant, " Southern Man " one of his more political and well done on "4 way suite"- I'm a huge fan.

If you ever get a chance, try to get a copy of his father's book: " Neil & Me. " His dad Scott, was a very, famous Canadian sportswriter. The old changing of the guard routine went like this:

" One day, it was there goes Scott Young, Neil Young's father. "

And then: " There goes Neil Young, Scott's son ! " ;)
I have Neil's biography " SHAKEY " . Its really good , its been out for several years now , 2002 I beleive , nearly 800 pages . If you haven't read it , get it !!

bigmack
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Bernie even found time to unload "We Built This City" on Grace Slick and Mickey Thomas.
Airplane becomes Starship so they can churn out that trash? That's one horrific tune.

delayjf
01-28-2009, 12:33 PM
He hasn't been worth a damn since "Nebraska"
I will agree that Nebraska was his best album. I also enjoyed "Born to Run" but don't think it was his best work.

I think all these song writers are victims of their own success. They lose their mojo (anger, fire, or hunger) that motivates their earlier work as they start to enjoy the new lifestyle that their success brings them.

billrock
01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I think all these song writers are victims of their own success. They lose their mojo (anger, fire, or hunger) that motivates their earlier work as they start to enjoy the new lifestyle that their success brings them.

Reminds me a lot of Aerosmith.

OTM Al
01-28-2009, 09:28 PM

I don't think that is totally it. Consider that the first album is generally the stuff you've worked on and been singing for a long time before getting signed. Its the band's most solid stuff. Usually 2nd albums are a big decline as the band is forced to quickly come up with new material. Some make it through and some never see a 3rd album.

MarquisMark
01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Nebraska is a beautiful album. I read an interview with Steve Van Zant and he said that the Nebraska album is really just demo versions of the songs. Bruce wanted to re-record them with more production and fleshing out, but Steve told him that they sound just fine and should be released as they were. It took some convincing but Bruce finally did as he said. I agree with Steve...those songs--just Bruce, his guitar, and his harmonica--are some of the greatest songs he wrote. "Used Cars" and "Highway Patrolman" are my favorites...both very sad songs.

I don't listen to much of his stuff past Nebraksa either, except for Born in the USA which is okay. There's a couple of tracks I like from his more recent albums but I don't think they're good all the way through like the others. The early ones are good from beginning to end. I don't think Bruce wrote a bad song from 1971 to 1983.

JustRalph
01-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I read somewhere that Springsteen did actually take the songs into the studio and add to them and ended up throwing away 90 percent of the add on's after listening to the stuff. I believe Highway Patrolman was originally on Born in the USA and was pulled.........for something else.

Bruce must have a thing for State Cops....."Highway Patrolman" and "State Trooper" both on the Nebraska album. In the Song "Open All night" he sings about being pulled over

"Now, the boss don't dig me, so he put me on the nightshift It's an all night run to get back to where my baby lives In the wee wee hours your mind gets hazy radio relay towers, won't you lead me to my baby?
Underneath the overpass, trooper hits his party light switch Goodnight good luck one two power shift "

Years ago I used to do "Open all night" in a band I played with. I love that song............just a raw rockabilly kind of feel to it........

JustRalph
01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Didn't take long for Google Ads to catch on to this thread

From the Top of the Page when Logged on.........

toetoe
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
I have never abided the guy, and I SWEAR I knew nothing of his politics until recently. :)

sandpit
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
First off, Cowboy Junkies are the worst piece of crap I believe I have ever heard. Margo is a hack and their entire repertoire feels like an overdose of thorazine. Anyone saying she has a gift is touched.

Springsteen ain't no Bocelli? I hope not. He's another hack. Arias for those ill-informed with little in the way of taste.

If you can't get past a gravely voice, don't listen to rock & roll. And never listen to Waits.

Music has a way of fundamentally affecting people, much like works of art. So it's easy to see why there are such differing opinions. The "thorazine" moodiness of the Cowboy Junkies is one of the reasons I was attracted to them originally. And no, I am not, or never have been, under the influence of any drug. Having had several discussions with Margo, I can say that I indeed have been touched by her, and am the better for it.:jump:

jballscalls
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I have never abided the guy, and I SWEAR I knew nothing of his politics until recently. :)

what are his politics??

sandpit
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
For a rock and roll singer, I think that Springsteen's pretty damn good, but he's no Bocelli or Sinatra. Mick Jagger has a horrible voice but he's a good rock and roll singer. John Lennon was not a virtuoso, but he was also a terrific rock and roll singer. Muddy Waters is considered to be one of, if not the best, blues singer ever. He's one of my favorites. He does not have a beautiful voice, not even close. But he sure has soul.

Funny, I love the voices of all the guys you mention except Springsteen. I guess I never bought the entire aura he has. John Lee Hooker was always my favorite bluesman, rough as it got, but like you said, he made you feel every word as if it belonged to you.

toetoe
01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Rahm Emanuel(sp.?) and the Chicago Machine give us We Bilked This City.

Maxter,

I will sway to your side regarding James MacArthur, but PLEASE ... :( ...
I BEG of you ... for the love of GOD ... no Bruceski. :D .

bigmack
01-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Maxter,
I will sway to your side regarding James MacArthur, but PLEASE ... :( ...
I BEG of you ... for the love of GOD ... no Bruceski. :D .
:faint:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/tt.jpg
Cuts include:

I Want to Hold Your Hand (That's Not My Hand!)
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Dumbo Just Sat On It)
Sharp Dressed Man (What's With the Hairdo?)
Takin' Care of Business (This Might Smell)

toetoe
01-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Mack Sir,

You are hereby exiled to Elephantiasis I-SSI-PPI. :eek:

JBC,

Springsqueak was a votary of Mr. Albert Gore, somehow accepting the dishonesty of Billary/Altipper and calling Bush/Cheney dishonest. :faint: .

Using his concerts to rail against Bush and for Kerry ( :faint: ).

I'm going out on a limb and saying that for Bruceski, B. Hussein Obama can do no wrong. (Hey, where was Maya Angelou when we needed her on Inauguration Day ? ... :rolleyes: )

Blood and guts ? Fine, bring 'em on. Gore ? I say thee NAY.

toetoe
01-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Mack,

Can I be in the Dharma Bums ? They have the coolest name. :cool: .

dutchboy
01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
He signed an exclusive agreement with WalMart to sell this cd. Now he says he regrets doing that.

Bruce has always been a loud supporter of Democrats and worker rights. WalMart has always maintained the workers have no rights.

Claims his team did not properly vet the agreement with WalMart.

Tom
01-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Nice move, take the money then whine. Typical lib.
The guy is a fraud. Hope he take a football to the head Sunday.