PDA

View Full Version : ML odds on Aqueduct running Wednesday?

BombsAway Bob
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Nasty little storm zooming across the middle of the nation strikes the East Coast after Midnite. Snow to Freezing Rain to rain on the menu as of now for NY...
My ML is 7/5 that the first race field never sees the starter...
Anyone closer to the track have a different view?

cj
01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
It has been really nasty here in OK the last couple days. Everything is closed and the streets are pure ice.

stu
01-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Seeing the following on the National Weather Service, I will set the line at 1:9 for full-card cancellation and 9:1 that more than two races go to post.

"A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT... AND WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE.

MAXIMUM HOURLY SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE 1 INCH PER HOUR IN NARROW BANDS. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 5 INCHES ARE LIKELY.

AS THE LOW GETS CLOSER TO THE REGION... WARM AIR ALOFT WILL MOVE RAPIDLY NORTH AND CHANGE THE SNOW TO RAIN. A BRIEF PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN OR SLEET IS LIKELY WITH ICE ACCUMULATIONS LESS THAN ONE TENTH OF AN INCH. THIS TRANSITION WILL OCCUR BY 11 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING.

INCREASING EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS OFF THE ATLANTIC WILL CAUSE TEMPERATURES TO RISE QUICKLY ABOVE 32 DEGREES CAUSING JUST PLAIN RAIN BY 11 AM. PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN MAY CAUSE MINOR URBAN FLOODING OF LOW LYING POOR DRAINAGE AREAS DURING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. "

JustRalph
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
radar

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/RadarLoop/usa_None_anim.gif

Norm
01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Looks like a good day to cancel, unless . . . do they de-ice the horses before a race like they do airplanes ?? Or, what happens if a horse brushes the rail and gets stuck-frozen there, is he declared a non-starter or just a losing stiff ?? :confused:

The Bit
01-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm in NJ a bit south of Aqueduct and The Big M. I'm actually expecting both to cancel. I just went outside and put some salt down and took a short run. We already have 1 to 1.5 inches of snow and the freezing rain and sleet will make for an absolute nightmare in the morning and mid-day hours.

The Meadowlands has a chance if it switches to rain early enough.

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2009, 01:41 AM
It all depends when it turns to all rain. Highs around AQU are supposed to approach 40 on Wednesday....

Zman179
01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Aqueduct has already cancelled. The weather in New York is rather atrocious right now. Looking outside, I've got nearly three inches of snow on the ground and it is now sleeting. This isn't a good day for man nor beast.