PDA

View Full Version : Who First Introduced You to Horse Racing?

maryforney
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Although I grew up less than 3 miles from Santa Anita Racetrack, I only
started going there when I was in high school, when my mother became
interested in horse racing. She used to take my two sisters and me to the
track on the weekends. We quickly fell in love with the beautiful horses and
the excitement of betting on our favorite horses and jockeys.

Who First Introduced You to Horse Racing?

boomman
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Although I grew up less than 3 miles from Santa Anita Racetrack, I only
started going there when I was in high school, when my mother became
interested in horse racing. She used to take my two sisters and me to the
track on the weekends. We quickly fell in love with the beautiful horses and
the excitement of betting on our favorite horses and jockeys.

Who First Introduced You to Horse Racing?

My longtime friend Bud Young took me to the old Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack in Omaha, Nebraska in 1973 when I was in high school. Although that 180 mile drive (one-way) from my hometown of Kansas City, Ks wasn't much fun, the horse racing certainly was! It was truly "LOVE at first sight"!:)

Boomer

ralph_the_cat
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Jesus

jballscalls
01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
dad took me to longacres, and i was hooked

ManeMediaMogul
01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
My dad and my uncle would take me to Santa Anita for the last race nearly every Saturday from the time I was three. I used to stand in the paddock and watch the trainers saddle the horses and dream that someday it would be me.

As luck would have it, 20 years later, the first horse I ever saddled at Santa Anita won. It was amazing.

Wickel
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Following my freshman year in college at New Mexico State, I came home for the summer and secured a job as a money runner at The Downs at Santa Fe. One of the tellers told me about how one of the leading trainers was on a hot streak, and sure enough, I won five straight races and was hooked.

pktruckdriver
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
How to put this so it sounds right.

My first time at the track was at old Hialeah, at that time way out west of town off the Hwy 27, Okeechobee Road and 4th ave , I believe it was.

My Uncle took me out there, and he asked me, a 7year old what horse to play.

I remember I said the Grey one, and he won, my Uncle was mad at me because he did not bet on him, and my 2nd pick was dead last, and he smacked me upside the head jokingly, and some guy punched my uncle for hitting me, and we all almost got tossed out, that day was my 1st experience.

I don't remember seeing the Flamingo's that 1st visit , though me and those Flamingo's are another story, for another time.

Patrick

cnollfan
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
My dad took me to Centennial Park in Denver and my granddad took me to La Mesa in Raton, New Mexico when I was a youngster.

MIplayer
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Jesus

:D

The racetrack is one of the few places where you can turn water into wine. However, depending on the takeout you might just end up with some Boone's Farm.