PDA

View Full Version : NFL Mock Draft: 1/23

Bubbles
01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Again, this is going by what NFL GM's SHOULD do, not what they WILL do.

1. Detroit (0-16): Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Rationale: No, they aren't trading the pick. Maualuga wreaked havoc in the Rose Bowl, and is unquestionably the best defensive player in the draft following Brian Orakpo's performance in the Fiesta Bowl. The Lions could still trade down if a good offer comes their way, but for now, they upgrade their defense.

2. St. Louis (2-14): Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Rationale: Has anyone's stock ever soared THIS much after a suspension? 'Bama looked hopeless against Utah, and it's because Smith wasn't there to protect John Parker Wilson and the running backs. He comes in and works alongside Orlando Pace to form a tough O-line.

3. Kansas City (2-14): Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Rationale: Brian Orakpo may still go here, but after how badly he performed against OSU in the Rose Bowl, I think KC goes a different direction for now. Orakpo can redeem himself at the Combine, but he's got some work to do.

4. Seattle (4-12): Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Rationale: Taking two OT's in the top four is painful, but Oher fills a need here. Steve Hutchinson left several years ago, and nobody's stepped up to take his place. Michael Crabtree could also go here if Seattle finds a nice prospect at the second round level, but OT is a more pressing need.

5. Cleveland (4-12): Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
Rationale: With Eric Mangini coming to town, Cleveland needs edge-rushers. That's exactly what Orakpo is, and the Browns are delighted he fell this far despite a subpar Fiesta Bowl.

6. Cincinnati (4-11-1): James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
Rationale: This is an interesting pick. The Bengals could be in the mix to trade up to #1, as it's not clear whether Palmer will fully recover and Fitzpatrick is NOT a starting quarterback. Assuming they don't, the hometown boy would make a nice fit on defense.

7. Oakland (5-11): Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Rationale: Al Davis loves star power, and there isn't a more exciting player in the draft than Crabtree. He fills a big need in Oakland, and could give the rocket arm of JaMarcus Russell a great target to throw to.

8. Jacksonville (5-11): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Rationale: Look for Jacksonville to try to move this pick at some point. They can't get Crabtree at this spot the way this plays out, and Mays staying at USC really puts them in a tough spot. For now, they protect Garrard, whose interception total soared from 3 in 2007 to 13 in '08.

9. Green Bay (6-10): Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
Rationale: Curry's stock has shot up as of late, and with the two other marquee linebackers off the board, he's the best fit here. Green Bay's defense couldn't hold a lead to save their lives, and Curry should step in right away to help patch it up.

10. San Francisco (7-9): Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Rationale: All the offensive linemen are really demolishing my will to do these drafts, and I feel somewhat comfortable predicting at least one will bust. There's no doubt, though, that SF needs protection, both in the running and passing games. Smith is the best one available, and scouts love his footwork.

11. Buffalo (7-9): Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Rationale: Aaron Schobel's been hurt, but there's still no excuse for the backups being THIS horrendous. Johnson's a freak at 6'7", 265, and should disrupt plenty of plays.

12. Denver (8-8): Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Rationale: Javon Ringer and/or Chris Wells could also go here, but Moreno's more consistent than they are. Denver desperately needs a franchise running back to usher in the post-Shanahan era, and Moreno's got the talent to leap up the depth chart right away.

13. Washington (8-8): Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
Rationale: Washington could take Duke Robinson or reach for a tackle, but Brown already has talent and could learn from Jason Taylor, one of the best of his era at defensive end. Ultimately, I think that's too much to pass up.

14. New Orleans (8-8): William Moore, S, Missouri
Rationale: Moore didn't have a great senior year, but he's still the best defensive back available. This comes as good news to a team that DESPERATELY needs speed in the secondary.

15. Houston (8-8): Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
Rationale: Part of me considered Mark Sanchez here, as Matt Schaub, while solid and still in his prime, is injury-prone (he's missed 10 games combined during the past 2 seasons). However, they could also use a capable receiver opposite the equally-injury-prone Andre Johnson.

16. San Diego (8-8): Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
Rationale: This is actually a very good scenario for both teams. San Diego's in desperate need for a game-changer on offense with LDT declining, and Harvin should be used well by Norv Turner.

17. New York Jets (9-7): Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Rationale: The Jets could take playmaking wideout Jeremy Maclin, but they could easily wait a round or two to find a receiver. Instead, I think they bolster their pass defense with Davis, a guy with temper issues but a high ceiling (some say he could be even better than Malcolm Jenkins).

18. Chicago (9-7): Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
Rationale: On the other hand, the situation's much more dire in Chicago. Simply put, Kyle Orton needs a guy with soft hands to throw to, and Maclin's one of the best on the board who fills a definite need.

19. Tampa Bay (9-7): Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
Rationale: I'd never been high on Sanchez until the Rose Bowl, where he diced a good Penn State defense on a national stage. He's not the most exciting QB, he doesn't have the biggest arm, and he may not develop into a star, but Sanchez is a reliable guy who won't make too many mistakes despite his inexperience.

20. Detroit - from Dallas (9-7): Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma
Rationale: Unfortunately, some of the top-tier defensive players don't fall here anymore. Still, Robinson is the best guard prospect in the draft by leaps and bounds. He'll never be a tackle, but he helps shore up a lousy front line in the Motor City.

21. Philadelphia (9-6-1): Alex Mack, C, California
Rationale: After Brent Celek caught 10 passes against Arizona, the tight end situation looks a lot more promising. Mack is clearly the best center in the draft, and he's an instant upgrade on the o-line for a coach who loves to draft big guys.

22. Minnesota (10-6): Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
Rationale: Anything's an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson. Stafford's got a nice, strong arm, and he'll have a franchise running back in the backfield to take some of the pressure off of him. I'm not totally sold on him, but this isn't a bad situation for him to be in.

23. New England (11-5): D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
Rationale: Simply put, you could trot Deion Sanders out there and he'd compete for a job in this secondary. Moore is the best corner available, and given NE's performance in pass coverage, I think the Pats need him here.

24. Atlanta (11-5): Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
Rationale: If Atlanta wants to build upon their success this year, they need to improve their run defense. Marks was the lone good part of Auburn's terrible season, and he'll be a very good pro.

25. Miami (11-5): Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky
Rationale: Miami needs secondary help. I had them taking Moore for quite a while, but with the defections from the draft, Lindley's the best defensive back available at this point.

26. Baltimore (11-5): Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
Rationale: This is an easy pick with all the first-round wideouts off the board. Pettigrew isn't only a good blocker, but he provides Joe Flacco with a big target in the midrange passing game, so he's a perfect fit.

27. Indianapolis (12-4): B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
Rationale: Indy's interior run defense is just plain terrible. Raji's stock has risen with the defection of Terrence Cody and great performances at Senior Bowl workouts, so he's a natural fit with a team that could use him.

28. Philadelphia - from Carolina (12-4): Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
Rationale: In looking at this defense, nobody in the front seven stands out as a star. Maybin's a bit of a tweener, but he plays hard and puts pressure on opposing quarterbacks. His being a sophomore hurts his status somewhat, but if he drops here, look out for Philly to pull the trigger on the local pass-rusher.

29. New York Giants (12-4): Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Rationale: Wells fell out of the first round of some of my previous drafts, but comes back in due to the large number of defections. He's injury-prone, but he's got a good combination of power and speed. If he turns out to be a faster Brandon Jacobs, which he looks to be, Tom Coughlin and Co. will be perfectly happy.

30. Tennessee (13-3): Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
Rationale: Another returnee from my first few drafts. The drop from Raji to the rest of the DT's is pretty substantial, and while they could go younger at either QB or WR, Sintim is a versatile linebacker who can play inside or outside in any system, and his 11 sacks in 10 games should say it all about his ability to bust up plays in the backfield.

31. Arizona (9-7): Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State
Rationale: Arizona has no worries about Wells being off the board, as they've already got a quasi-power back in Tim Hightower. Ringer should be the dash to Hightower's smash, and with both being young, they've got time to mesh together. This could go in a different direction if Edgerrin James re-signs with the club, but that doesn't look probable right now.

32. Pittsburgh (12-4): Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
Rationale: Britton's the last of the marquee tackles in the draft, and Pittsburgh is more than happy to take him here. At 6'6", 310, he's a force, and one Pittsburgh needs in protecting Ben Roethlisberger, who's been on his back more times than any quarterback in the past several seasons.

rrbauer
01-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Stafford's a top-10 QB pick or your first 'Toga super is on me!

(just make sure your old man brings BEER)

Bubbles
01-25-2009, 10:00 AM
LOL...see, he IS going to be a top-10 pick because quarterbacks with good arms are few and far between. However, my problem with Stafford has MANY dimensions.

1) He forces the ball into traffic too often.

2) How much of his success could be contributed to having a legit top-15 pick, Knowshon Moreno, in his backfield?

3) I kept waiting for him to have an "As God is my witness, I am NOT letting my team lose this game" moment. That never happened, and I question his ability to do that at the highest level if he didn't do it in college.

4) Every draft analyst around is saying Stafford is better than Sanchez. I ask you, why? Sanchez threw for more touchdowns in an offense known for producing star running backs, and threw for about as many yards.

4B) One of the reasons Stafford is apparently a budding star is because he faced a ton of pressure due to Georgia's suspect o-line. Both Stafford and Sanchez were sacked 17 times, so that's null and void.

4C) Since when do draft analysts make excuses for quarterbacks underachieving?

This isn't to say he CAN'T succeed. However, I think that any of the teams before Tampa Bay provide a situation that isn't exactly promising for him, and I'm not sure he's ready for it quite yet.

cj
01-25-2009, 11:52 AM
If Stafford and Sanchez played the same schedule, I doubt Sanchez would have better numbers. Not to mention, Georgia came in with a preseason Heisman candidate at RB.

headhawg
01-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I always enjoy reading mock drafts -- and yours is no exception, Bubbles -- but if you were the GM in Detroit and made that pick with the #1, you would be labeled the next Matt Millen.

I agree that they should listen to any good offers which they should get; this isn't the Alex Smith draft of a few years ago. They need lots of help -- and maybe some star power to generate revenue -- and I don't believe that Maualuga is the right pick for that.

If they don't trade the pick, they'll take Stafford. Personally, if I'm the GM I'm listening intently to offers.

Bubbles
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
My rationale with Maualuga is this. You need help in a lot of places, and quarterback is actually pretty far down the list (Orlovsky threw for over 220 yards in five of his last six starts last year, with more TD's than INT's over that stretch). On defense, you've got Ernie Sims at one linebacker spot, and everyone's in general agreement that he is going to be a defensive stalwart for many years to come. By drafting Maualuga, and putting him at another linebacker spot, you form a foundation the entire defense can be built around.

Believe me, I'm not saying the Lions will do this, and I do think they'll end up trading down (Jacksonville's certainly looking to move up from their #8 spot). But if I'm the GM, that rationale sounds appealing, especially if they sign a high-profile free agent at corner or the d-line.

rrbauer
01-25-2009, 05:14 PM
LOL...see, he IS going to be a top-10 pick because quarterbacks with good arms are few and far between. However, my problem with Stafford has MANY dimensions.

1) He forces the ball into traffic too often.

In 2008 this led to 10 picks and 25 TD's. Not bad in most books. What specifically are you referring to? Or is this just some canned criticism when you can't offer specifics?

2) How much of his success could be contributed to having a legit top-15 pick, Knowshon Moreno, in his backfield?

Speaking of dumb questions:
How much of Moreno's success could be contributed to having a legit top-10 QB pick on his team?

3) I kept waiting for him to have an "As God is my witness, I am NOT letting my team lose this game" moment. That never happened, and I question his ability to do that at the highest level if he didn't do it in college.

Again, specifics? How about being down at the half in his most recent game, the Capital One Bowl, and throwing 3 TD passes in the 2nd half to win the game. Did you watch a lot of his games?

Here's what I think, Andrew. You have the "speak" part down pretty good for being a sports reporter. Now you need to work on the "analyst" part.

Bubbles
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
1) No, his stats weren't BAD, and I didn't say they were. However, they're not amazing, and Sanchez's statline tops it (34 TD's, 10 picks).

2) Fair point, but in looking at the statlines, Moreno averaged 5 1/2 yards per carry, and also caught 53 passes out of the backfield. Stafford's past season was good, but to me, there's no comparison between his season and Moreno's (1,400 rushing yards, 392 receiving yards, 18 total touchdowns).

3) His Capital One Bowl was good. What about his game against Florida? Three picks, a QB rating under 50, and a 49-10 loss. In my view, if he had the killer instinct, he makes it at least SEMI-respectable. He also didn't play that well against South Carolina (146 yards, 0 TD's) and Vanderbilt (194 yards, 2 picks). Yeah, Georgia won, but it was Knowshon Moreno who won those games, not Stafford.

I understand he's probably the best QB in this draft class. And that's fine; he very well could be. But when I look at Stafford, I don't see a future superstar. I see a guy with a very good arm who benefited from a running back who didn't play a bad one in the entire regular season. I'm not saying he's the next Kyle Boller, but I certainly don't think he's the next Peyton Manning or anywhere close to that.

Look on the bright side: If I'm wrong, I'll force the old man to buy you a twelve-pack of your VERY OWN in a few years! ;)

Thomas Roulston
01-28-2009, 05:50 AM
The Eagles need Wells 100X more than the Giants do - and they have two picks before the Giants have their first.

cj's dad
01-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Bubs,

While you have presented a very good analysis of players who figure to go in Rds. # 1 & 2, to project where they will be drafted is at best a crap shoot.

reason #1 - Teams have to wait out the free agency period and evaluate losses vs. gains and then re-evaluate needs accordingly.

After reason #1 is complete, teams once again have to re- evaluate their cap money and spend within that.

Side notes- The qb situation is laughable in that it has become almost a given that those drafted high will fail and that those with little fanfare (aka Flacco) or drafted in the later rounds have a good chance at success. Who was the last highly drafted QB to be seriously sucessful in the NFL?

Offensive Linemen have the easiest transision to the pro game- QB's and DB's the most difficult. Agree or disagree?

cj
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Bubs,

Side notes- The qb situation is laughable in that it has become almost a given that those drafted high will fail and that those with little fanfare (aka Flacco) or drafted in the later rounds have a good chance at success. Who was the last highly drafted QB to be seriously sucessful in the NFL?

Matt Ryan. :)

rrbauer
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
3) His Capital One Bowl was good. What about his game against Florida? Three picks, a QB rating under 50, and a 49-10 loss. In my view, if he had the killer instinct, he makes it at least SEMI-respectable. He also didn't play that well against South Carolina (146 yards, 0 TD's) and Vanderbilt (194 yards, 2 picks). Yeah, Georgia won, but it was Knowshon Moreno who won those games, not Stafford.

Stafford did not have a good game against the Gators. They beat him up. About 5 sacks and many hurries. Two of his picks came after they were down 35-3 and were in desperation mode. I don't know about "killer instinct" what does that mean? No question that Moreno is a grinder-what happened to him against Florida? How many drops did he have as a receiver? (I don't know the total but I remember one in the end zone, maybe it was against GT.)

It's all academic anyway. Neither of us will make any money from the NFL draft and I'm tired of arguing (even though I'm right :lol: )!

delayjf
01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
IMHO,

Sanchez is a project. He has not yet proven himself as a leader or a QB who can play at the next level. He has always played on the team with superior talent and has never engineered a fourth quarter rally in his entire carrier. He is no better than Booty was at this point in his career and Booty got beat out by Tavris Jackson who maybe one of the worst starting QB’s in the NFL . He’s not as talented or as experienced as Russell (Oak) who is also struggling.

I would not waste a first round pick on a project QB, I would want an impact player that will contribute now. Teams picking later in the round are the better teams who are probably already are settled at QB. But there is always the Detroit’s / Cleveland’s, Cincinnati’s of the NFL world who just can’t help but choose a QB with a reputation – which Sanchez has.

cj's dad
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Matt Ryan. :)

Yes, him and Flacco- I was simply stating that most of the highly rated college QB's turn out to be busts.

Maranovich, Toretta, Haden, Sullivan, Leaf, Boller, Ware, etc.....

Thomas Roulston
01-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Offensive Linemen have the easiest transision to the pro game- QB's and DB's the most difficult. Agree or disagree?

Historically, offensive linemen in general - and offensive tackles in particular - have been least likely to make an immediate impact, as rookies, etc. The same holds true for defensive backs in general - and cornerbacks in particular.

By far the easiest transition has been for running backs, with linebackers - especially outside, blitzing types - having it second easiest.

rrbauer
01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Historically, offensive linemen in general - and offensive tackles in particular - have been least likely to make an immediate impact, as rookies, etc. The same holds true for defensive backs in general - and cornerbacks in particular.

By far the easiest transition has been for running backs, with linebackers - especially outside, blitzing types - having it second easiest.

Offensive line play is much harder than percieved....plus you have to have some brains to know who to block given the defensive alignment. Now, defensive line is a different story. Basically DE's have two assignments:

1. Contain
2. Go get the MF QB.

The QB situation, I believe, has as much to do with the franchise and the coaching staff as it does with the individual QB. Did Brady make the Pats or the other way around? No QB is going to turn Detroit around-or KC-or Oakland, etc, without a big supporting cast.

rastajenk
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
By far the easiest transition has been for running backs, with linebackers - especially outside, blitzing types - having it second easiest.Receivers, too. They run the routes they're given. If they make an executive decision in the middle of the play, it will probably result in an interception. Just go where they're supposed to go, and do what they've always done.

Bubbles
01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I completely agree about offensive linemen and the hit-or-miss propensity they have in the NFL. For every Orlando Pace, there's a Robert Gallery. Recent history has been OK; Jake Long was good in his rookie year in Miami, for instance, but with four offensive lineman widely thought to be top-10 or top-15 locks, I feel very comfortable predicting at least one of those teams will consider their 2009 first-round pick a waste.

I like Andre Smith, and his presence was missed in the Sugar Bowl. Oher is also good. But the way scouts are raving about Jason Smith's footwork has me concerned. It's not quite "Oh my goodness, Robert Gallery runs a sub-five second 40, he's obviously going to be a superstar!" in terms of sheer stupidity (What does speed have to do with blocking? Saw through THAT one even as a naive teenager.), but I've got an eerie feeling about it.