PDA

View Full Version : 6f Races on Aqueduct Inner Track

Thomas Roulston
01-24-2009, 04:39 AM
How do they squeeze them in?

According to my math, the sum of the length of the stretch (from the last turn to the finish line), plus the circumference of the far turn, plus the length of the backstretch, comes out to 146 feet less than 6 furlongs; plus, don't they also have to place the gate even further behind the spot at which the actual timing starts?

How come this isn't reckoned as "About 6 Furlongs"?

slewis
01-24-2009, 09:30 AM
How do they squeeze them in?

According to my math, the sum of the length of the stretch (from the last turn to the finish line), plus the circumference of the far turn, plus the length of the backstretch, comes out to 146 feet less than 6 furlongs; plus, don't they also have to place the gate even further behind the spot at which the actual timing starts?

How come this isn't reckoned as "About 6 Furlongs"?

I dont know how your reaching these conclusions but the "length of the stretch" is meaningless. You need to go to the big A and count the poles. 1/6th 1/8th 1/4 poles. Of course, anyone can put two poles in the ground and tell everyone they're 1/4 mile apart, but I'm sure they're a lot closer then you're suggesting.

On the other hand, I dont doubt anything in this game... take fractions and times on the turf courses, I've yet to have a racetrack executive explain to me how fractions are timed when you have things like TEMPORARY RAILS. It changes the the trigger points. I know the fractions are almost certainly hand timed, but it's difficult to get the tracks to admit to things.

Maybe a job for....... TLG????:eek:

the little guy
01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I dont know how your reaching these conclusions but the "length of the stretch" is meaningless. You need to go to the big A and count the poles. 1/6th 1/8th 1/4 poles. Of course, anyone can put two poles in the ground and tell everyone they're 1/4 mile apart, but I'm sure they're a lot closer then you're suggesting.

On the other hand, I dont doubt anything in this game... take fractions and times on the turf courses, I've yet to have a racetrack executive explain to me how fractions are timed when you have things like TEMPORARY RAILS. It changes the the trigger points. I know the fractions are almost certainly hand timed, but it's difficult to get the tracks to admit to things.

Maybe a job for....... TLG????:eek:

Isn't it already too much that I admit to knowing, and liking, you?

I'm quite sure the supposed 6F races on the Aqueduct inner are, in fact, three quarters of a mile. As for turf races, and turf fractions, well they seem to live in some sort of seperate universe that I will never specifically understand. It's all about relative paces, and thus relative times, in turf races....and who really cares about that stuff on the grass anyway. ;)