PDA

View Full Version : Shady business

anotherdave
04-07-2003, 09:27 PM
This is from the harness track (Fraser Downs) near Vancouver. Despite the fact I don't bet Brand X anymore, I thought some of you might be interested. One of the top drivers was suspended for 3 years! Then appeal after appeal and it is down to 60 days. Doesn't do much for the betting public's confidence and stuff like this gets associated with thorougbreds too.

http://www.fraserdowns.com/content/news/press_releases/burke_suspension_again_reduced_mar27-03.shtml

The race on Dec. 27 the horse was running in a Maiden race came in a boring 6th by 7 lengths at 30-1 in 2:07 flat from Post 4.

the next race on Jan. 11, the horse was running in a maiden race and won wire-to-wire by 3 lengths at 9-1 in 159 4/5 from post 4.

(You can look at the charts on the site if you are interested)

Sometimes it is a little too obvious and irritating!

AD

JustRalph
04-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Dave......

Reminds me of my younger days at Scioto Downs. You are right, sometimes it's too obvious. That was a hell of an improvement.

keilan
04-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Dave – I remember about 5-6yrs ago maybe a little longer Jim and JR came over to race at Northlands – The old man was with them also. We were sitting around one evening having a few pops and JR shows up and tells me to bet a horse the next day he was driving in the last race of the day.

Now these are a bunch of $3500 claimers and JR goes right on top –rolls to the half in 56 and change wins by twenty-five lengths in 1:55.1. The horses lifetime mark was over 2:00 minutes – can’t remember what the horse paid but it was huge. For those who don’t know JR, he worked for Jim Burke. And Burke is one of the good guys.