PDA

View Full Version : No Soap

Overlay
01-23-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28815777/

The number of daytime soaps has decreased from sixteen to eight, ad revenue is drying up, older viewers are dying off, and younger viewers aren't replacing them. After I told my wife that the median age of the viewing audience for The Young and the Restless is 60, she actually might not tune in next week.

(I must confess to watching the closing credits for The Edge of Night every day when I was a kid, but only because I lived in Cincinnati, and they featured a picture of the downtown skyline while the credits were rolling, since it was Procter and Gamble's home base.)

cj's dad
01-23-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28815777/

The number of daytime soaps has decreased from sixteen to eight, ad revenue is drying up, older viewers are dying off, and younger viewers aren't replacing them. After I told my wife that the median age of the viewing audience for The Young and the Restless is 60, she actually might not tune in next week.

(I must confess to watching the closing credits for The Edge of Night every day when I was a kid, but only because I lived in Cincinnati, and they featured a picture of the downtown skyline while the credits were rolling, since it was Procter and Gamble's home base.)

Since you don't live in Cincy anymore I have to say that a quote I heard was that if you only had 6 months to live do it Cincinnati (or Pittsburgh) it will seem like years.

Overlay
01-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I can't speak for it today, but back in the late '60's and early '70's it was OK (at least from my perspective as a high school student), with the Big Red Machine and a lot of good friends.

miesque
01-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Since you don't live in Cincy anymore I have to say that a quote I heard was that if you only had 6 months to live do it Cincinnati (or Pittsburgh) it will seem like years.

Ha! Maybe that is why P&G makes sure their younger finance execs get shipped out for a rather long term stints at other locations, because based on one of my close friends from college's experience, it certainly doesn't seem like they want to keep them in Cincinnati more then 2-3 years at a time. :D

JustRalph
01-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Man, I am going to Miss Brad and Nicky.........

As long as they Leave Victor on the show....... I am golden

socantra
01-24-2009, 02:10 AM

The quote, usually attributed to Mark Twain is "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

Overlay
01-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Anyone remember an old country song about a guy comparing his life situation to a soap opera? I think the lyrics went:

She was crazy about them soap opera shows.
To her DYNASTY meant more than ironing clothes.
She thought KNOTTS LANDING and CAPITOL were fun,
But like DALLAS they changed her one by one.

She learned how to drink from ole J.R.'s wife.
She learned how to cheat from DAYS OF OUR LIVES.
She had ONE LIFE TO LIVE and thought RYAN'S HOPE was right.
They took the lovin' from my life.

Chorus:

She left me standing on THE EDGE OF NIGHT
Without a GUIDING LIGHT
Trying to SEARCH FOR TOMORROW.
I'm caught in a SECRET STORM.
As sure AS THE WORLD TURNS,
My life is just another soap.

Well, they just called ALL MY CHILDREN to GENERAL HOSPITAL.
I chased her from SANTA BARBARA to FALCON CREST.
They say it won't be long until I’m in ANOTHER WORLD,
Waiting for the YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.

Repeat Chorus

Grits
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Any soap on any channel. I'm amazed that ANYONE would take time, even 10 minutes out of a day, to watch this programming. But then too, I don't watch reality tv shows either.

facorsig
01-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I thought this thread was about changes from Obama's administration and certain men in the Navy.

cj's dad
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM
The quote, usually attributed to Mark Twain is "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

I've heard that one also. Thanks for your diligence.

I like mine better.

Tom
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I thought this thread was about changes from Obama's administration and certain men in the Navy.

No, no...under the Messiah, "don't ask, don't tell" has been re-assigned. It now refers to your tax money and trillion dollar bailouts!

Horsefan
01-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, and it has been reported that there was an extra soap stimulus added for the military to adapt to the "love that previously dared not speak it's name".

Now they will all be "bright, clean and articulate."

Thank you Code Pink and all others who work to enable the enemy within.

BUD
01-24-2009, 03:14 PM
As my Uncle who has a Huge sense of humor would say-------I spent 33 years in the Navy. God Knows how much time aboard ship----WTF were we supposed to do------It shuts all the jokes up a little self depreciating humor------

Hell That was my route until I was accepted on the Dept....

Worked with this one so called guy----I swear we stopped 3 times per shift to freekin vacuum the Cruiser!! Ya OK--------I used to ask him if I should bring my Pink Slippers with me-------Or the dirt devil so I could clean while he drove-----Oh he was a nightmare:faint:

We stopped and have to make an arrest of a big guy---He'd almost knock you over so he could (frisk) him------No no no---That is not a roll of nickels dumb @$$-----the memories...