PDA

View Full Version : Won Token, Dunkirk Set For Debuts

Stevie Belmont
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
There are two first time starters tomorrow at Gulfstream that could be ready to pop first time out. In race 3, it is Won Token. A New York bred filly owned by the upstate Funny Cide crew Sackatoga Stable and is trained by Barclay Tagg, as we all know trained Funny Cide. Won Token is by Gold Token out of a Air Forbes Won mare. They paid $80,000 for this filly at the Saratoga 07 sale. She was working at Belmont Park through November and since has been working fast drills at Gulfstream Park. The workouts have been very sharp, including two from the gate in December. The interesting thing is she is a New York Bred, but they have opted to start her at Gulfstream Park. She will debut on the rail, which is not always the best place for a first time starter, but a good one can win from anywhere. Won Token could have some potential. Instead of keeping her in New York, they sent her down to the sunshine state. Cranked and ready for he debut tomorrow. We will find out tomorrow.

The other first time starter is Derrick Smith’s and Michael Tabor’s Dunkirk in Race 5. They went deep in their pockets for this one. Dunkirk was a 3.7 million dollar purchase at a Keeneland sale in 07 The blood is there. He is by Unbridled Song out of an A.P. Indy mare. Dunkirk has been working steady 5-furlong drills in the 1.01 range for his debut tomorrow. He has been drilling like clockwork since September. He has 9 works in all since November at Palm Meadows. His last two works were from the gate. He looks well meant for his debut tomorrow and we will keep an eye on him. The race has other interesting prospect as well. Richard Dutrow’s Cairiene will be making his second career start after debuting on the Belmont turf back in July, running a good second to eventual stakes winner Bittel Road in a 7-horse field at 6 furlongs. At the time he was under the care of Bill Mott. Since than he has been sent to Richard Dutrow. He ran well in his debut. He returns off the layoff for Richard Dutrow. Richard Dutrow has had good success when bringing horses back off layoffs. Cairiene will also be making his dirt debut as well. However none of the listed works are real fast. ThoroughbredZone will give an update on how they did.

Dahoss9698
01-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Isn't Dunkirk the kind of horse you play against tomorrow at underlaid odds? I'll take my chances with another firster, Kings Village. Ziegfeld could be okay if he draws in, and the other Pletcher is a half to El Roblar.

point given
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
In the race 5 at gulf, the usual pairings of jocks and trainer combos seems a little askew. Note- Prado is on the Pletcher horse Dunkirk and not JR Velasquez, who takes the Albertrani mount Kings Village.Meanwhile Dutrow who normally rides Prado , has Albarado on cariane.
I might just take a shot against them all with the 9, Hennigan trained by Matz and is 2nd time out after breaking from the rail last time. Matz is 20% 2nd time with a 1.82 ROI.

Stevie Belmont
01-24-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm more interested in seeing how these horses run. Yea I noticed the jockey pairings, there mixed up. Sometimes these calls are made well in advance.

jballscalls
01-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Dunkirk just crushed em in his debut

the little guy
01-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Dunkirk just crushed em in his debut

A $3.7 Million yearling that can actually run??? I'm shocked.

BUD
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
A $3.7 Million yearling that can actually run??? I'm shocked.

OK the Little Guy calls in sick----And I am watching Fairgrounds and they say Jess is in New York......Way to go Little Guy:)

Robert Fischer
01-24-2009, 06:58 PM
dunkirk is a smallish unremarkable horse for a 3.7million tag.

You'd think for 3.7 million you would see some magnificient giant stallion obviously physically gifted...
But he made a classy late move in the race...

the little guy
01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
OK the Little Guy calls in sick----And I am watching Fairgrounds and they say Jess is in New York......Way to go Little Guy:)

Whatever.

I'm sick.....for real.

OTM Al
01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Dunkirk looked nice visually but he did have a ridiculous pace for 7f to run into. Good first race, but will look to beat him next time.

sammy the sage
01-24-2009, 07:48 PM
yeah..checking TWICE and STILL rolling 6 wide w/ease...

He'll be on MY early Derby BETS!

the little guy
01-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Dunkirk looked nice visually but he did have a ridiculous pace for 7f to run into. Good first race, but will look to beat him next time.

Agreed. The second finisher feels like the one you want from that race. He ran his eyeballs out.

Stevie Belmont
01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
The times of the races

Dunkirk 1.25:00

Indy's Sonata 1.25.67

They say the track was playing slow early.

OTM Al
01-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Agreed. The second finisher feels like the one you want from that race. He ran his eyeballs out.

The most interesting thing about the FTS in that race was the #1, who was his stablemate and workout partner, getting identical works for the last couple months until the final one. Dunkirk was around even off and the #1 was in the neighborhood of 23-1. I made sure I used the #1 in that race as well. He did ok for a first try, especially given the distance, but I guess that is the difference between a $4m horse and a decently bred one that has the same trainer and same work pattern.....

Further, I've heard wayyyyyyy too much Deby this and that about the horse. If he makes the gate, which I would say he has about a 5% chance of, please do bet him. It will be more money for me when his complete lack of foundation and experience shows up.

Robert Fischer
01-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Yea, and it's almost Zito's derby prep trademark to have some decent runners on the front end.

Also disappointed/surprised that Velazquez took King's Village up on the pace.

DanG
01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
The second finisher feels like the one you want from that race. He ran his eyeballs out.
Sprinting perhaps; at 2-turns 9f+…not a prayer on a fair track.

Pace aside for a moment; the winner’s trip was also not antiseptic.

OTM Al
01-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Also disappointed/surprised that Velazquez took King's Village up on the pace.

This is another interesting fascet of the race. Pletcher had 2 runners and his go to guy was on someone elses horse. I thought this guy actually did look interesting as well but he was burned up quickly.

Robert Fischer
01-25-2009, 10:06 AM
This is another interesting fascet of the race. Pletcher had 2 runners and his go to guy was on someone elses horse. I thought this guy actually did look interesting as well but he was burned up quickly.

yea let the conspiracy theories fly

OTM Al
01-25-2009, 11:25 AM
No conspiracy about it. I thought the 12 had a shot and with Johnny V riding it instead of a Pletcher horse, especially a $4 million Pletcher horse, it was something to pay attention to. I was surprised the way he rode it but I am in no way implying or agreeing with anyone that would imply that there is some sort of funny business. Maybe he erred in his approach, maybe there was no slowing the horse down. I boxed 1,3,4,12 in a $1 tri to just take a simple stab at getting the 1 home if you want to know where I stood on the race....

Robert Fischer
01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
No conspiracy about it. I thought the 12 had a shot and with Johnny V riding it instead of a Pletcher horse, especially a $4 million Pletcher horse, it was something to pay attention to. I was surprised the way he rode it but I am in no way implying or agreeing with anyone that would imply that there is some sort of funny business. Maybe he erred in his approach, maybe there was no slowing the horse down. I boxed 1,3,4,12 in a $1 tri to just take a simple stab at getting the 1 home if you want to know where I stood on the race....

didn't mean to imply that you were blaming any conspiracy.

It did look fishy but I agree with you that Velazquez gets the benefit of the doubt. Will be interest to see king's village run back as well.