PDA

View Full Version : Trying to import DRF text chart into Excel

jeebus1083
01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Here is the sample off of DRF's website:
http://www.drf.com/misc/charts/SAR20060727.chart

I copied this and then pasted into a .txt document. I then opened the .txt document in Microsoft Excel in a Comma Delimited format. However, the entire document comes out as one line.

Can anyone who uses these charts and who is familiar with its use in Excel be able to help me??? :)

Tom
01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Open Excel, go to Data>Get External Data>Import text file

Follow the prompts.

jeebus1083
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Open Excel, go to Data>Get External Data>Import text file

Follow the prompts.

I did. Everything still ends up on one line.

Tom
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I looked at the file - it is spread out over two many lines. The "H" row, I assume is the headers, and each "R" line should be on a single line itself.

Try this - don't paste it, just rename it from XXXXX.chart to XXXX.TXT
This should keep everything line formatted. When you pasted it, I think it got forced into a narrow file format.

I got it to open either using the File Open function from within Excel or from the Import Text File option, but neither one was correct - the data was spread over too many lines.

Don't use "Open with" Excel.

jeebus1083
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I looked at the file - it is spread out over two many lines. The "H" row, I assume is the headers, and each "R" line should be on a single line itself.

Try this - don't paste it, just rename it from XXXXX.chart to XXXX.TXT
This should keep everything line formatted. When you pasted it, I think it got forced into a narrow file format.

I got it to open either using the File Open function from within Excel or from the Import Text File option, but neither one was correct - the data was spread over too many lines.

Don't use "Open with" Excel.

That kind of helped, but now the Excel file looks convoluted.

Let me e-mail you the Excel file and the Chart file.

Tom
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Try this file....it should load OK down through R9, then, at the S1, it will not load right.

If that doesn't work, I'll PM you my email addresss.

jeebus1083
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
That was fine up to where you said it would be.

I have your e-mail address and have already sent you a message.

Tom
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
OK,
I'll be home around 6 or so.