PDA

View Full Version : Other tracks not without their breakdowns

Grits
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
It is not only Santa Anita suffering problems. Five horses have been euthanized during training hours since Saturday at Fairgrounds.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2009/January/21/Fair-Grounds-endures-rash-of-fatal-injuries.aspx

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 11:00 PM
sucks for Tom Amoss........ he seems like a decent guy and a good trainer.......... but then again I only know him from TVG.............

joanied
01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Turfway also:(

ralph_the_cat
01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
we've had about 113 go down in the morning since christmas @ MNR... track crew doesnt take care of the track for morning training... just for the racing, and that can even be iffy at times...

:rolleyes:

tholl
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
we've had about 113 go down in the morning since christmas @ MNR... track crew doesnt take care of the track for morning training... just for the racing, and that can even be iffy at times...

:rolleyes:

Are you serious ? Average of over three breakdowns a day ?

ralph_the_cat
01-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Are you serious ? Average of over three breakdowns a day ?

my numbers could be off a couple hundred... :)

we've actually put up respectful numbers than in years past as far as racing breakdowns, I think thats associated with an older/more cautious jockeys colony... but the injuries in the morning are gross at times... but NO ONE keeps track of those morning injuries... hell, the state vet rarely shows up... if a horse needs euthanized in the morning, a track vet from the backside has to go over to the track... you see lots of horses walk off the track lame in the morning... its deep, yet chunky/frozen with a horrid base... the track can be really nice on warm days due to the depth of the soil, but how often is it warm?... you can blame the track crew... but MNR has crazy weather and temps mixed with year-around racing 5 days a week and 6 days of training a week... its hard to keep the surface good... it takes more than an effort, it takes knowledge... I dont have the answer...