PDA

View Full Version : Biden takes shot at Roberts...What is he Stupid?

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Biden as usual shoots his mouth off. Maybe he should consider all the cases emanating from the Oval Office and the Vice Presidents office over the last two Presidents. Future Cases from his office could end up in the Supreme Court......... and some of them might need a swing vote............ :bang:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/21/biden-takes-shot-roberts-flubbing-presidential-oath/

Biden Takes Shot at Roberts for Flubbing Presidential Oath
Vice President Biden likens his faltering memory to the U.S. Supreme Court's chief justice, who mistakenly flipped a word while giving the oath of office to President Obama a day earlier.

Vice President Biden took a stab at Chief Justice John Roberts on Wednesday, one day after the chief justice flubbed the oath of office that President Obama was to recite at his inauguration.

Biden was to swear in senior staff at a White House ceremony after having already given the oath to newly confirmed Cabinet secretaries. When Obama reminded him that he had only done the one group and hadn't done the second yet, Biden quipped, "My memory is not as good as Chief Justice Roberts."

more at the link

ArlJim78
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
C2mzbuRgnI4

NoCal Boy
01-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Too bad Biden did not go off on Justice Kennedy so Kennedy can be ticked enough to provide the 5th vote to get rid of Roe v. Wade.

Biden as usual shoots his mouth off. Maybe he should consider all the cases emanating from the Oval Office and the Vice Presidents office over the last two Presidents. Future Cases from his office could end up in the Supreme Court......... and some of them might need a swing vote............ :bang:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/21/biden-takes-shot-roberts-flubbing-presidential-oath/

Biden Takes Shot at Roberts for Flubbing Presidential Oath
Vice President Biden likens his faltering memory to the U.S. Supreme Court's chief justice, who mistakenly flipped a word while giving the oath of office to President Obama a day earlier.

Vice President Biden took a stab at Chief Justice John Roberts on Wednesday, one day after the chief justice flubbed the oath of office that President Obama was to recite at his inauguration.

Biden was to swear in senior staff at a White House ceremony after having already given the oath to newly confirmed Cabinet secretaries. When Obama reminded him that he had only done the one group and hadn't done the second yet, Biden quipped, "My memory is not as good as Chief Justice Roberts."

more at the link

ddog
01-21-2009, 04:40 PM
who cares, they are big boys , grow up.

Rookies
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
You know Ralph, most people thought that this was an amusing little flub by the Supreme Court Justice top dog, a person with a marvellous intellect- similar in staus to Obama's. I know Obama found it funny... as did Biden.

But of course, some of the usual suspects here, were ever quick to excoriate (WRONGLY) Obama for blinking rather than Roberts.

Why would you continue something so silly ?

riskman
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
"set aside childish things"
This is a reference to the lines in Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians (13:11): "When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things." Stephen McKenna, chairman of the media studies department at Catholic University, said: "It's also a reference to his own victory speech, where he talked about the need to put away the 'partisanship, pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.'."

Show Me the Wire
01-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Not stupid, just senile Biden is.

highnote
01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I have several thoughts on this -- as if anyone gives a shit... :D

First, I only heard a clip of Biden's remark on the radio. But it sounded like a good natured ribbing. So it didn't bother me that he got in a little dig on Roberts.

Second, on a big occasion like swearing in a new president, why wasn't Roberts better prepared? What's wrong with having a note card for reference. Apparently, he thought he could pull it off from memory. Which is fine if this was something he did every day. But it isn't. He will only do this (hopefully) once every four years. I'd expect that the Chief Justice would be better prepared. But he is human, so he is entitled to make a mistake. However, I hope he is better prepared when he needs to prepare for making decisions on important cases.

Third, Obama is not a U.S. citizen, so he can't be president. So whether or not he took the oath correctly is moot. :D

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
You know Ralph, most people thought that this was an amusing little flub by the Supreme Court Justice top dog, a person with a marvellous intellect- similar in staus to Obama's. I know Obama found it funny... as did Biden.

But of course, some of the usual suspects here, were ever quick to excoriate (WRONGLY) Obama for blinking rather than Roberts.

Why would you continue something so silly ?

Because it's fun!! :lol: I am not kidding.........

Overlay
01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I heard on the news this afternoon that a number of Constitutional scholars are saying that Obama and the Chief Justice need to have a do-over on the oath, just to make sure that Obama's status as President is fully compliant with the Constitution. (I assume that could be done in private with witnesses, as opposed to having another public ceremony.)

Overlay
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
If the oath needs to be re-done, I suppose that would also call into question the legality of any official actions (executive orders, and so forth) that Obama takes prior to that, or would require him to do them again after the oath is re-administered.

Shemp Howard
01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Teddy Kennedy has given the key to the Senate liquor case to Joe Biden. Joe's been taking a shot of each bottle just to make sure everything is up to proof.

:eek:

2low
01-21-2009, 08:41 PM

This should be read in Yoda voice

jballscalls
01-21-2009, 08:53 PM

What's McCain then?

Tom
01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Because it's fun!! :lol: I am not kidding.........

Methinks the lefties cannot take what they dished out over the last 8 years?
Remember all the stupid posts knocking Bush for mis-speaking this or that?
Hehehe......they better get used to it, because the next 4-8 years are OURS to enjoy! And with the utter fool and dope Biden, we are going to have a lot of fuel!:lol::lol::lol:

Shemp Howard
01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
This time no hand on the Bible, no So Help Me God.

Interesting........yesterday's joking screw-up sounds scripted, hey Herr Goebels?

:confused:

hcap
01-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Remember all the stupid posts knocking Bush for mis-speaking this or that?
Hehehe......they better get used to it, because the next 4-8 years are OURS to enjoy!Good luck with that Rock. The mark has been set really really really really high. I think you need 5000 years of Presidents to equal George W Bush and his malfunctioning mouth. You have opened a can of worms. Take a gander........

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/george-bush-sour.jpg

"The inhabitants of Greece are the Grecian."

"The French don't have a word for 'Entrepreneur'."

"The vast majority of our imports come from outside
the country."

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made
good judgments in the future."

"The future will be better tomorrow."

"We're going to have the best educated American people
in the world."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of
NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a
part of Europe."

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people
going to the polls."

highnote
01-21-2009, 09:23 PM
This time no hand on the Bible, no So Help Me God.

Interesting........yesterday's joking screw-up sounds scripted, hey Herr Goebels?

:confused:

Obama is NOT the first president who did NOT use the Bible.

This whole thing is silly. It's kind of like a married couple messing up their wedding vows -- it doesn't mean they're really not married.

I think it's more the intent.

But thankfully, now it's official. :D

Show Me the Wire
01-21-2009, 10:15 PM
This should be read in Yoda voice

Exactly. As they say in Star Trek, may the force be with you ;)

2low
01-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Good luck with that Rock. The mark has been set really really really really high. I think you need 5000 years of Presidents to equal George W Bush and his malfunctioning mouth. You have opened a can of worms. Take a gander........

the country."

in the world."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

part of Europe."

going to the polls."

I'm no Bush fan, but I'm really going to miss the entertainment part. We'll get nothing at all like these quotes unless somebody screws up the teleprompter. Should be pretty boring.

highnote
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
According to official records kept by the Architect of the Capitol, Teddy Roosevelt is the only president who wasn't sworn in using a Bible; he took a rushed oath of office in 1901 following the assassination of William McKinley. However, it's rumored that LBJ was sworn in using a Catholic missal aboard Air Force One after Kennedy's assassination. John Quincy Adams, according to his own letters, placed his hand on a constitutional law volume rather than a Bible to indicate where his fealty lay. Franklin Pierce "affirmed" rather than swore his oath on the Bible, reportedly because of a crisis of faith following his son's death. There are no known inauguration Bibles for presidents John Adams through John Tyler; in fact, there's no concrete evidence that those early presidents used a Bible at all for the oath.

hcap
01-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Not sure if any body noticed this....

From the press pool report:

At 735 pm, Roberts administred the oath of office again to Obama in the map room. Robert Gibbs said the wh counsel, Greg Craig, believes the oath was fine Tuesday, but one word was out of sequence so they did this out of a "an abundance of caution."

"We decided it was so much fun..." Obama joked while sitting on a couch.

Obama stood and walked over to make small talk with pool as roberts donned
his black robe.

"Are you ready to take the oath?" Roberts asked.

"I am, and we're going to do it very slowly," obama replied.

Oath took 25 seconds.

After a flawless recitation, roberts smiled and said, "congratulations,
again."

Obama said, "thank you, sir."

Smattering of applause.

"All right." Obama said. "The bad news for the pool is there's 12 more
balls."

Done deal

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
remember the halcyon days before Bill Clinton, when we didn't have to parse every oath, word or testimony?

is, is still is, isn't it?

highnote
01-21-2009, 11:05 PM
remember the halcyon days before Bill Clinton, when we didn't have to parse every oath, word or testimony?

is, is still is, isn't it?

This begs the question about Obama --

"Is he is or is he ain't our president?"

Secretariat
01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Good luck with that Rock. The mark has been set really really really really high. I think you need 5000 years of Presidents to equal George W Bush and his malfunctioning mouth. You have opened a can of worms. Take a gander........

the country."

in the world."

part of Europe."

going to the polls."

When Yogi Berra said stuff like this it was funny. When GW did it, it was just sad.

Oh well. He's done. Much to the relief of the vast majority of Americans. The country is no longer called Potterville. People can smile again, and they are. :jump: :jump: :jump:

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Much to the relief of the vast majority of Americans. The country is no longer called Potterville.

Wow, a Vast Majority? 55% is more accurate...........

that makes 45% outside your vast majority.........

ArlJim78
01-22-2009, 12:40 AM
When Yogi Berra said stuff like this it was funny. When GW did it, it was just sad.

Oh well. He's done. Much to the relief of the vast majority of Americans. The country is no longer called Potterville. People can smile again, and they are. :jump: :jump: :jump:

What should we call it now? Narcissusville perhaps?

Cheney has more substance in his little finger than Obama ever will.

jballscalls
01-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Cheney has more substance in his little finger than Obama ever will.

That finger was so big and full of substance, it pulled the trigger and shot a dude!

prospector
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
That finger was so big and full of substance, it pulled the trigger and shot a dude!
not a dude....a lawyer

oddsmaven
01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I like Joe so I have to defend against JR's nonsense here...he was obviously kidding around about Roberts as he certainly had just forgotten something, so unless he was trashing himself for forgetting, he was just having good-natured fun.

I don't think you'll find anyone in the Senate with a bad word for Joe...minority Leader (R) Mitch McConnell said that Biden would truly be missed and was a friend to everyone in the chamber. :ThmbUp:

Tom
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't you will find anyone in the senate that we will have a good thing to say about. A House of enemies of this nation -thieves, liars, toilet stalkers, adulterers, biggots, racists, former klan members,you would be hard pressed to find a decent man among them. So when the senate likes Joe, that is enough for me........oft the pig! :lol:

toetoe
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Tailgunner Joe remembers the writings of others just finely, thank ye. ;)

toetoe
01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
hcap,

Quotes 1,4,6 and 8 are acceptable, especially as you provide no context. This is Sarahsilvermanian, in that you must come with stronger stuff. Maybe this is just a warmup ?

odds bodkins,

That's faint praise, indeed. At least SOME of those scmucks should hate him, or fear him, or SOMETHING.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2009, 07:34 PM
who cares, they are big boys , grow up.There's been a lot of "who cares" replies lately. If that's how you feel, why bother?

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Why would you continue something so silly ?What is going on here? Are you saying anyone who disagrees with Obama or Democrats ought to simply shut up from now on?

If only Obama supporters and Democrats would have taken such a stance the past eight years here on off-topic. But, they didn't.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
What's McCain then?I get it. All guys past 70 are senile, right jballs? You must be a wonderful person around family gatherings, with all 'dem ol' folks lying around, drooling all over your shoes.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
I like Joe so I have to defend against JR's nonsense here...he was obviously kidding around about Roberts as he certainly had just forgotten something, so unless he was trashing himself for forgetting, he was just having good-natured fun.

I don't think you'll find anyone in the Senate with a bad word for Joe...minority Leader (R) Mitch McConnell said that Biden would truly be missed and was a friend to everyone in the chamber. :ThmbUp:Yeah, when Joe says DUMB ASS things like "FDR came on TV when the stock market crashed in 1929," he gets the pass, because the little (D) next to his name stands for "denial of any wrongdoing."

When Bush says something dumb, it gets played over and over and over and over again on Letterman.

Yup, I get it.

Oh, I forgot. Obama is president now and all the lefties on off-topic want me to shut up. :lol:

Burls
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Did anyone else get the sense that Barack was not too pleased with Joe's little joke? ...

NJ Stinks
01-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Did anyone else get the sense that Barack was not too pleased with Joe's little joke? ...

No doubt, Burls. Barack will learn to relax.

Paceadvantage, who woke you up? :D

lsbets
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh, I forgot. Obama is president now and all the lefties on off-topic want me to shut up. :lol:

Its okay PA. As they told us over and over again, there is nothing more patriotic than dissent. You are just being a true patriot PA!

Oh wait, the whole dissent thing doesn't apply when Dems are in charge. Must...follow....no questions.....the messiah has arrived.

Rookies
01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
What is going on here? Are you saying anyone who disagrees with Obama or Democrats ought to simply shut up from now on?

If only Obama supporters and Democrats would have taken such a stance the past eight years here on off-topic. But, they didn't.

Not at all... bring it on. But, just be correct about it. I've already said this innocent error was waaay overplayed, but immediately somebody tried to point the finger at Obama screwing up the oath.

Ralph might have the last thought however. The damn thing's had legs. :ThmbUp:

sandpit
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
When Yogi Berra said stuff like this it was funny. When GW did it, it was just sad.:jump: :jump: :jump:

Once at a club in New York, Yogi Berra was introduced to Ernest Hemingway:

"Yogi, this is Ernest Hemingway, a very important writer."

Yogi replied, "What paper you with, Ernie?"

:lol:

Tom
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM

That's funny.....Joe's little joke. Ironic because Joe is Barack's little joke.
One thing no one ever accused Biden of being was smart - they gut is just plain dumber than dirt. always has been.

boxcar
01-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Did everyone catch Biden's flub today when he was swearing in some newbie senator? And this happened the day after this brain-dead meathead dissed Roberts for his flub! Gotta love it!

Boxcar

Tom
01-23-2009, 07:31 AM
I heard Biden has all his socks labeled L and R.

mountainman
01-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Inappropriate for the incoming vp to slur the man who had just given his boss the oath of office. For one thing, the remark made the president visibly uncomfortable, for another, it just wasn't funny.

Tom
01-24-2009, 04:46 PM
And he is a heartbeat away form the presidency.
Our nation could be led by this airhead.

Thank you 55% who put this garbage on deck.

JustRalph
01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Biden Apologizes to Justice Roberts

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/01/27/1763209.aspx

I have a feeling Ole Joe will be doing this many many times over the next four years..........

NJ Stinks
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
If Roberts was a liberal appointed by Clinton, would any of you conservatives really give a s_ _ _ about Biden's joke?

It means nothing and I wish Joe didn't do the politically correct thing. Roberts screwed up and should be able to take a little ribbing. Chances are he can and did.

Boris
02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/03/biden-fumbles-clinton-oath/

ddog
02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
There's been a lot of "who cares" replies lately. If that's how you feel, why bother?

i am nothing if not kind.
i only exist to serve those who need help.