PDA

View Full Version : WHEN DOES THE PRESIDENT OFFICIALLY ASSUME THE POWER OF THE OFFICE??

delayjf
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I recall sometime ago that the official transfer of Power does not take place upon the President taking the oath of office - but at a specific time on a specific date (I.E at 1201 AM the day after the Inauguration) Anyone know for sure?

I know there is a transfer of the Missile codes between the Presidents but I'm not sure when that takes place and if that is the "Official" beginning of the President term.

Bubba X
01-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I recall sometime ago that the official transfer of Power does not take place upon the President taking the oath of office - but at a specific time on a specific date (I.E at 1201 AM the day after the Inauguration) Anyone know for sure?

I know there is a transfer of the Missile codes between the Presidents but I'm not sure when that takes place and if that is the "Official" beginning of the President term.
12 noon eastern time. The swearing in is ceremonial.

OTM Al
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
They said on the broadcast I was listening to that Mr. Bush was officially out of the office at noon ET today. They were mumbling something about there being no official president for about 5 minutes as the ceremony was running a little late, but not sure if that was true. Biden was sworn in before noon, so I guess that means it was covered. Not diffinitive answer there but Google it and I'm sure you can find the rules of order

jballscalls
01-20-2009, 02:20 PM
It's like getting married, its official at the signing, not the kiss