PDA

View Full Version : Video Proffesor review

pktruckdriver
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey

I am still trying to learn this computer thing and was wondering what you guys might suggest for me to learn , so I may be a better computer user?

It seems that I have had and still have issues with Vista and horse racing seems to be a spreadsheet type of situation, at least everyone keeps referring to their excell program.

So being on the road all the time, I was thinking that maybe the Video Proffesor would be a great way for me to learn about Vista and then maybe Excell, but there are so many Excell programs out there , which one do I want to learn.

Is there any other Ideas out there?

Remember I am trying Handicap with a software program, and it seems to be getting the best of me right now, so I must change my tactics, because I will be damned if I will let a software program get the best of me, nope too stubborn for that , or may be too stupid, either way it comes out the same.

Any help, please

Patrick
Thank you

JimG
01-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Patrick,

I'm pretty much self taught through the years. I would suggest the video on Vista since that is your operating system. At this point I would not worry about excel, unless it is needed for your horse racing program. Try not to do too much at once. I know from reading this board you work hard and are on the road a lot.

You did not mention what software program you were using, but some of the programs on the market are multi-faceted and it is best to learn them a piece at a time. HSH, HTR, and JCapper are 3 programs that come to mind that have much information and can take awhile to really learn.

Best wishes,

Jim

Pace Cap'n
01-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I have no experience with the course materials of the Video Professor, but I have read negative reviews of the marketing process. As I understand, they get you to sign up for a subscription and then send additional courses while making it difficult to cancel.

I would suggest doing a little research before ordering.

chickenhead
01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
This site/group has been spoken of highly here

http://www.lynda.com/

DJofSD
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Patrick,

Let me ask you some seemingly stupid questions.

(1) Have you used a PC before? If so, for how long?

(2) What are the issues with Vista? Is Vista the first flavor of the Windows operating system you've used? Or are you transitioning to it from Windows XP?

(3) What is the name of the handicapping program you're using?

With these questions, I'm attempting to level set you and those that will attempt to help you. The three areas you need to have some degree of mastery is the hardware, the operating system and the application.

But don't get insulted or frustrated. Everyone figures it out. Chances are if you are a relative new comer to computer based handicapping, you are a "blank slate" with little or few prejudices to get in your way -- both computer and handicapping wise.

pktruckdriver
01-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I been using computers for over 5 years, almost 10 years
in my trucking business.

email
mapping
banking
load securement
recreation/games
ADW last 5 years

Now the program I'm using is HSH, and was told my OS, VISTA is causing me problems, permission issues, even though I changed the UAC within VISTA's OS itself, still crashing and burning, losing all my forward progress.

Others are using "V" and doing okay with it, just not me...I feel my skill level with HSH is at least at the intermediate level, so what is there for me to learn from taking a course on VISTA, I already cut and paste & copy files, set-up my desktop accordingly

patrick

DJofSD
01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
By any chance, is the computer you are using to run HSH a PC that has been upgraded from XP to Vista?

I ask b/c of the three systems I run with Vista, the two that came with it preinstalled are not having the same permission/access problems as the 3rd one which I did upgrade from XP to Vista.

pktruckdriver
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Nope brand new

Intel pentium Dual-core processors T2310
1.46ghz 533mhz 1mb l2 cache
2 gb ddr2
160gb hdd
dvd supermulti dl
802.11b/g wlan
up to 358 mb Mobile Intel graphics media acellerator x 3100

Windows Vista home premium edition

I bought this computer with HSH in mind, and was to use basicvally for HSH, but now I am wodering?

patrick

dutchboy
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.classroomdoor.com/index.asp

I would suggest this website. I think the Video Professor charges about 70 bucks per program after the initial free one so I would think this would be a better value.

Of course if you are on the road you might have trouble accessing the website.
Second choice would be to go to a book store like Barnes and Nobles. They have numerous books to help with training.

pktruckdriver
01-20-2009, 12:26 AM

Dutchboy

I will try the few free ones I got and see how they go, thanks again.

Patrick