PDA

View Full Version : Needed a true grant writer if possible

pktruckdriver
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Guy and Gals

By now you all have read my posts here and there, some were funny others I hope were informative, seeing the Big R coming thru first line experience, the docks of America's Maunfacturing Businesess , and saw them folding left and right, but that is not what this post is about, nope.

The Big R may not be as bad as was thought but I still feel we haven't felt the worst of it yet, and then we could turn it around and never get to see the worst of what I thought may come, the latter sounds best to me.

GRANTS IN AMERICA

This year alone over $1.5 Trillion Dollars In Grant Money will be given away by Private Foundations and Government Grant Programs.

http://www.government-free-money.com/images/funding-available-2.gif
Business Grants$155.5Billion Available
Housing Grants$144.2Billion Available
Students Grants$82.8Billion Available
Minority Grants$55.5Billion Available
Women's Grants$97.5Billion Available
Personal Grants$197.3Billion Available
Research Grants$95.7Billion Available
Community Development$37.5Billion Available
Nonprofit Organizations$102Billion Available

This is from the web, stating roughly how much is given away each year.

Man that is alot of money, and I would like to get some, how bout you guys.

Our government has been bailing out everyone, I am tired of not getting my

share of this free money, or no interest loans.

Are there REAL GRANT WRITERS ON THIS BOARD, not these scam artists we

see all the time , send money for free money, yeah right.

Anyone got some Ideas how to get this going or put me in touch with a few

true grant writers, and yes I think I have a few idea's that should be

easy enough to get grant money for, what do I have to try and see if I do

and if not than , at least I can say I tried , right.

Thank you

Patrick

kenwoodallpromos
01-19-2009, 03:05 AM
http://usasearch.gov/search?v%3aproject=firstgov-web&v%3afile=viv_1063%4032%3afI9zsS&v%3aframe=list&v%3astate=root%7cN343&id=N343&action=list&
US Govt official website- links to various grant writing tio sites.
I need an SBA grant to buy and train a Bloodhound to look for missing dogs for a fee!

Steve 'StatMan'
01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, at least you haven't resorted to the Mary Richards Strategy (Mary Tyler Moore), where you walk into the office and break down, sobbing "Oh Mr. Graaaaant!!!" ;)

Tom
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Call this guy.....

miesque
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I will probably regret posting on this topic, but I want to try to clear up some misconceptions. Those statistics regarding all the "free money" available via grants is a bit misleading (no great surprise there). First to clarify one big misconception:

http://www.business.gov/guides/finance/financing/grants/

The federal government does not provide grants for starting and expanding a business.

Grants from the federal government are only available to non-commercial organizations, such as non-profits and educational institutions in areas such as, medicine, education, scientific research and technology development. The federal government also provides grants to state and local governments to assist them with economic development.

If you are not one of these specialized business, both federal and state government agencies provide financial assistance programs that helps small business owners obtain low-interest loans (http://www.business.gov/guides/finance/financing/loans/index.html) and venture capital financing (http://www.business.gov/guides/finance/financing/venture-capital/index.html) from commercial lenders.

This brings me to the second misconception in that as big as that list of "grants available" is, the demand (aka requests and applications for funds) dwarfs the funds available in each category. To quote a charitable foundation board member commenting on the bevy of grant applications from different charities (all worthy in their own right), "My cup runneth over with charitable requests." So even if you did have a brilliant business plan for a "can't miss" endeavor and had invested enough of your own capital to make it more palatable for funding, you still are up against it, even in getting a simple low interest business loan (which is actually what is really available to start-up, not a chunk of free money).

pktruckdriver
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Well I thought it would turn out like this, nothing for nothing, is nothing.

Free money does not really exist, probally a scam by big compainies to claim on the taxes, well I tried and failed again.

Like Tom says, Call Mr Lesko, he'll help me get my grant, but don't hold your breath, too long.

Thanks any way guys

Every grant writing website is a scam, period.

You can't prove me wrong on that, nopw , no way.

Patrick

Tom
01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Declare yourself a bank - they will throw money at you.

pktruckdriver
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Tried that once but they laughed at the Bill Clinton Mask :lol: :lol:

WinterTriangle
04-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Didn't see this topic til now.

I've taken several grantwriting classes from people who have written $6 million dollar grants and gotten them, thus bringing back tax money to their communites.

Grantwriting, esp. doing a state or federal grant, is a taxing and difficult endeavor, and that's why a good grant writer, in a place on the Beltway, for instance, are getting 6 figure salaries.

Mr. Lesko is the last person I would research if I wanted to learn about grants and grantwriting. You must be a non profit, with a board of directors, etc. first. Nobody gives grants to individuals really. I've seen Lesko's book, it's a joke because you can google just about everything and get the info for free. Some of his "grants" consist of energy assistance for the needy, stuff that is not really a grant. And, your income would have to be well below $10,000 a year to qualify for something like that.

There is an ex jet pilot here who wrote a $6 million dollar grant for our community for a health center, and he got it. We were also able to build a senior center, and have a community college, which is unusual for a tiny town in the middle of nowhere.

Most people do not realize that getting grants doesn't "cost" them money. This is money that has already been paid in taxes, and smart people in a community will do the work to see that some of that state and federal money COMES BACK to their community, instead of going elsewhere.

Fire departments here also write lots of grants for equipment, etc. where I live.

Grantwriting is a great thing to do for your nonprofit or community endeavor. I think a lot of communities should have an economic develpment crew and have one good grantwriter on staff. Community swimming pools, senior center, colleges, health facilities, downtown revitalization, new sidewalks, as well as animal shelters and wildlife rescues can all benefit from this process.
It's the "smart" way to recoup taxes. Otherwise, the $ goes to some other community.