PDA

View Full Version : DRF

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
for those of you that still read the daily racing form, i want you to know that the information they put out is not always 100% correct and neither are they resposible for the misinformation.

your example takes place today in the TAMPA race #2 horse # 7. it has the 7 comeing out of an open claiming race and heading into a non-winners to the date race. the horse according to equibase was already in a non-winners getting beat. your result is a poor 7-5 favorite than ran 4th.

now you know why i don't read the racing form, this happens quite frequently and it can bust you if beleive them all the time.

p.s. i know i have bad spelling, i still post here

the little guy
01-18-2009, 01:35 PM
for those of you that still read the daily racing form, i want you to know that the information they put out is not always 100% correct and neither are they resposible for the misinformation.

your example takes place today in the TAMPA race #2 horse # 7. it has the 7 comeing out of an open claiming race and heading into a non-winners to the date race. the horse according to equibase was already in a non-winners getting beat. your result is a poor 7-5 favorite than ran 4th.

now you know why i don't read the racing form, this happens quite frequently and it can bust you if beleive them all the time.

p.s. i know i have bad spelling, i still post here

Based on your post you obviously DO read the Racing Form.

It was an error, and Equibase does make these sometimes, but it was hardly the reason that horse was favored.

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 01:36 PM
i said that my good man read the post

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
and further more i never said that equibase made this error. equibase had this one wright. racing form had this one wrong. i appreciate you being very thorough in these manors it keeps you on your toes.

thank you for your post little one

cj
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
The horse would have been favored whether the last line read Clm 5000N2Y or Clm 5000. He would have been favored if it read Md 5000.

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
i don't think the horse would have been 7-5, maybe favored 5-2, the horse broke out of the gate at 8/5 and the after the bell players bet him down to 7/5 with the 5 length lead.

if you look at yesterday's 3rd race at oaklawn, the mare got beat nw1 to the date, and stepped up to nw2 date for 6250 and jogged. and david vance loved her. she paid $30.00 to win.

the little guy
01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
and further more i never said that equibase made this error. equibase had this one wright. racing form had this one wrong. i appreciate you being very thorough in these manors it keeps you on your toes.

thank you for your post little one

The intentional spelling errors are a nice touch.

Laron
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the post I type as bad as i spell maybe i post some Laron

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
i do not read the racing form. a friend of mine alerted me to this horse before the race took place. he said he was going to bet this horse for big money because he thought the mare was dropping into a condition from an open race. i use turfday stats and they had the race as the same as today.

i personally would never bet a horse as a 7-5 favorite that got beat to the condition the race before. maybe you guys like to bet those type, i pass and my friend saved his money on this one.

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
i got 7 diferent pm's on this subject. the whole jist behind my thread is that the daily racing form can make mistakes unintentionally or if you want to believe in conspiracy's intentionally. i was not trying to convey the idea of that horse being a favorite or a non-favorite.

if i used the racing form and was a weekend bettor i might have dived in on that horse knowing that the numbers were good in a tougher race. as most well know, the numbers were not that much better than the rest and at that level you are dealing with inconsistant horses.

so if you wish, go ahead and tear my head off for trying to make you aware of a mistake in print.

good luck

the little guy
01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
I am going to guess that a lot of people on this site know that there are sometimes running line errors in the pps. This is hardly groundbreaking information. Many people will say that this works to the advantage of the horseplayer that does the work to know the truth, in my case I have running lines corrected whenever I see a serious error, but nobody could really be so naive that they consider the information in this thread to be overly surprising. You can keep saying it is a DRF problem, which it is to some extent, but to ignore that it is Equibase that produces the charts and running lines is to skirt the truth.

Tom
01-18-2009, 06:57 PM
if you look at yesterday's 3rd race at oaklawn, the mare got beat nw1 to the date, and stepped up to nw2 date for 6250 and jogged. and david vance loved her. she paid $30.00 to win.

So what does that have to do with DRF errors? He came out of a 5,000, nw1y into 6250 nw2y?

toetoe
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
i said that my good man read the post

I, for one, read it. Please don't make me read it again. My brain is overtaxed, and my peepers are hurting.

(:Rubbing said peepers, or at least the lids thereon.)

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
nothing at all tom, but don't you think that is a big raise when you get beat for non winners and step him up to 2 to the date and raise up the tag?

i thought that horse should have been 100-1 not 15-1

eqitec
01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
For future reference, here is the entire field for that prior race in case the error is not corrected by the time any of these run again.

proximity
01-19-2009, 12:01 AM
a friend of mine alerted me to this horse before the race took place. he said he was going to bet this horse for big money because he thought the mare was dropping into a condition from an open race. ......

you are too good of a friend. i would have booked this monster bet for him and called the action in to premier!! ;)

salty
01-19-2009, 12:50 AM
The only thing that really bothers me about The Form or any other daily news publication is bad spelling or punctuation or anything like that. Everyday the little side comments always have some spelling error in them and it just drives me crazy because its something that just requires a quick reread to catch.

-salty

dav4463
01-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Lotz of peeple kaint spell or use good puncination it drives me crazee.

proximity
01-19-2009, 02:05 AM
The only thing that really bothers me about The Form or any other daily news publication is bad spelling or punctuation or anything like that. Everyday the little side comments always have some spelling error in them and it just drives me crazy because its something that just requires a quick reread to catch.

-salty

perhaps they could raise the price to $6.25 a copy and offer lamboguy a position as chief editor of spelling and conditions?? :)

salty
01-19-2009, 02:33 AM
I think they should just give you your money back if you find a bad typo. Then eventualy when they aren't making anymore money because there are so many mistakes, It will become better.

I forgot to mention the other bad thing about the form are ridiculous ink smears that I find in 1 out of 2 forms. Theres nothing worse then flipping to a race and not being able to read the stats on a couple horse. I don't know how they raise the price with so many printing issues. :bang:

-salty

phatbastard
01-19-2009, 02:43 AM
the biggest joke in company lines these days, are the $$allowance lines coming out of Gulfstream...for the most part they re nw1, nw2, etc..this is on Gulfstream as that is how they write their conditions..i'll wager a few here may have mistaken them as true $$ conditioned races

lamboguy
01-19-2009, 03:53 AM
horse race betting is all about the information that you derive your selections on. now lets take this a step further. the racing form gets its info from equibase. in the particular case that i have cited eqibase had the information right and the racing form didn't. i have no idea how that could possibly happen. what i do know is that the racing form takes no responsebility for misinformation. i ask you this, since there are alot of people that follow the byer numbers, how do you know they are correct all the time? all you know is the racing form is not responsebile for misinformation. some people look at the track varient, how do you know that that is correct? in this case the racing form does not back up its facts either.

i mention this because i stopped using the racing form years ago before byer numbers were in it, i had seen with my own 2 eyes that the track varients were wrong a few times. today people i speak to tell me they have no idea how a horse was assigned a particular byer number.

as far as i know if you catch the racing form giving you wrong info they will tell you that they don't stand behind it. you cannot even get a refund for your purchase of their product.

in OJ SIMPSON'S case they conveyed the idea that if you can't trust the messenger, how can you trust the message? he got aquitted. is this any different?

garyscpa
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM

-salty

Yes, looking at the spelling in A Closer Look, it's pretty apparent that they use voice recognition software and don't proof it. There will be common misspellings that don't make sense. But you can usually figure it out, so it's really no big deal.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I look up charts on nearly every horse for three to four tracks a day. Errors like the one at Tampa Bay are EXTREMELY rare.

MikeD <-- used spell check for this post.

turfbar
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Gawd I love to hear when guys don't buy the form [ real reason : too cheap to fork over $6]. When I walk into an OTB or racetrack venue and see guys with just a entry sheet or one if those "racetrack programs" it empowers me ,knowing that is who I am playing against today and there are literally thousands( noticed this at Saratoga last summer and commented here about it).

I have no connection to DRF, but buy one everyday and would kiss Steve Crist ass for making the form into what is is today,thanks Steve.

Turfbar

racehorse69
01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Equibase is the producer of charts and running lines, but EQB had it right in their program and Post Time Solutions who says they are a EQB customer had it right as well. Obviously DRF is not reading the file correctly.

proximity
01-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Equibase is the producer of charts and running lines, but EQB had it right in their program and Post Time Solutions who says they are a EQB customer had it right as well. Obviously DRF is not reading the file correctly.

you're right and i've said it on here before that i.t. has always been the drf's achilles heel.

drf= good figures, poor pp software

tsn/bris= poor figures, good pp software

one of these outfits needs to improve its weakness and put the other one out of business!!

lamboguy
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
it took 27 posts for someone to understand my beef.
no question the racing form is a great piece of literature. but the mistakes don't overcome how good they are for the price they charge.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
you're right and i've said it on here before that i.t. has always been the drf's achilles heel.

drf= good figures, poor pp software

tsn/bris= poor figures, good pp software

one of these outfits needs to improve its weakness and put the other one out of business!!

Have you actually used DRF Formulator? It BLOWS AWAY tsn/bris pp software IMO...I'm guessing you have never used it.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
it took 27 posts for someone to understand my beef.
no question the racing form is a great piece of literature. but the mistakes don't overcome how good they are for the price they charge.

Lamb,

Can you point to OTHER mistakes? I can't recall the last one I have seen, and I use the DRF data seven days a week. The mistakes have been few and far between.

proximity
01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Have you actually used DRF Formulator? It BLOWS AWAY tsn/bris pp software IMO...I'm guessing you have never used it.

huh? it takes like an hour for formulator to print out ONE CARD of pps!!

it also seems to me that you have more/better filtering options with tsn and that you can move the data around where you want it (and if you want it) better.

also, i have to buy a card to be able to add notes to it??

this is my first month back with drf in quite a while though so i'm open to suggestions.

lamboguy
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
i use turf day stats all the time now for the last 5 years. i used to buy the racing form back in the late 70's when they started with the track varients. i personally found mistakes there. this latest mistake was brought to my attention by a friend, otherwise i would have never known about. it is a big mistake though. i basically follow as many races as i can throughout the country and i have a real good memory, so it is unlikely for me not to catch the mistake even if i did use the racing form.

i am not trying to knock the racing form either. i respect them. i just wish it was 100% accurate.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
i am not trying to knock the racing form either. i respect them. i just wish it was 100% accurate.

Yeah you are not knocking it...lol....I guess I'll settle for 99.99999% correct.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Are you using Formulator software or Formulate Web?

I print out PP's for an entire track in 30 seconds.

I dont think the web version has all of the printing capabilities of the software version yet, but I am told its coming.

proximity
01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Are you using Formulator software or Formulate Web?

I print out PP's for an entire track in 30 seconds.

I dont think the web version has all of the printing capabilities of the software version yet, but I am told its coming.

turf, i'm using "web". is there a way to download this software version you are using?

btw, i tried to print the race lamboguy was talking about and it wouldn't even print at all.

also you can eliminate the company line and designate the number of pp lines you want to print (both things you can do w/tsn too) but that seems to be about it. tsn's pp generator had alot more options that this.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
turf, i'm using "web". is there a way to download this software version you are using?

btw, i tried to print the race lamboguy was talking about and it wouldn't even print at all.

also you can eliminate the company line and designate the number of pp lines you want to print (both things you can do w/tsn too) but that seems to be about it. tsn's pp generator had alot more options that this.

the link is on this old page I found:

http://www.drf.com/formulator/formulator_ad.html

Look for the link that says:
:: Download Formulator Direct Version 4.1.4

I still use the software version mostly because all of the updates to the web version are not complete including some of the chart functions.

turfnsport
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
i used to buy the racing form back in the late 70's when they started with the track varients. i personally found mistakes there.

I just re read your post...Yeah, the DRF has come along way since the Disco Era. :D

proximity
01-20-2009, 02:16 AM
the link is on this old page I found:

http://www.drf.com/formulator/formulator_ad.html

Look for the link that says:
:: Download Formulator Direct Version 4.1.4

I still use the software version mostly because all of the updates to the web version are not complete including some of the chart functions.

turf, thanks. i was able to download this software, but i have an enhanced plan and it won't print the moss figures. also almost everything printed out in dark black ink. i do appreciate the help though.

proximity

ponyplayer
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM

it also seems to me that you have more/better filtering options with tsn and that you can move the data around where you want it (and if you want it) better.

also, i have to buy a card to be able to add notes to it??

this is my first month back with drf in quite a while though so i'm open to suggestions.

You guys PRINT these out? :confused:

turfnsport
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
turf, thanks. i was able to download this software, but i have an enhanced plan and it won't print the moss figures. also almost everything printed out in dark black ink. i do appreciate the help though.

proximity

Correct, the moss figures are not in the software version...but you can go to DRF.com and click on PP Data and get them that way.

slew101
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I buy maybe two forms a year, on big race days, and last year I trimmed even that. With betting sites like twinspires offering basically the same information for free, why buy the form. You're not getting that much extra.

I also don't need to see Mike Watchmaker's weekend picks go up in flames 9 times out of 10. I mean, is it just me, or is this guy awful on his picks?

takeout
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
They all have occasional errors – especially with people’s names. Used to be a lot worse than it is now.

Some mistakes come from the tracks themselves or Equibase and can’t be blamed on the resellers. Things like missed claims, stuff like that.

Many differences go unnoticed unless comparing files from one reseller to the next. I don’t bother with it so much anymore but I’ve noticed things in the past like one having a “previously trained by” listed and another won’t. I’ve seen a claim listed in one that was listed as a “previously trained by” in another. Obviously wrong workouts (like on the wrong coast) and some that were probably wrong but not as easy to tell. A first fraction of a race that was 2 seconds different depending on whose file you bought. And so on.

onefast99
01-20-2009, 05:39 PM
They all have occasional errors – especially with people’s names. Used to be a lot worse than it is now.

Some mistakes come from the tracks themselves or Equibase and can’t be blamed on the resellers. Things like missed claims, stuff like that.

Many differences go unnoticed unless comparing files from one reseller to the next. I don’t bother with it so much anymore but I’ve noticed things in the past like one having a “previously trained by” listed and another won’t. I’ve seen a claim listed in one that was listed as a “previously trained by” in another. Obviously wrong workouts (like on the wrong coast) and some that were probably wrong but not as easy to tell. A first fraction of a race that was 2 seconds different depending on whose file you bought. And so on.
Yep the name mistakes are big. We just had two in on Saturday at GP one in under our stable and they put the other one in under my name. Makes no sense to me why they cant correct it at GP.

proximity
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
You guys PRINT these out? :confused:

yes like 99.99% + of the people who go to the track, i still prefer to handicap from the printed page and "mark" the form. of course i realize that brands me as somewhat of a caveman here at p.a. :)

proximity
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Correct, the moss figures are not in the software version...but you can go to DRF.com and click on PP Data and get them that way.

doesn't that just put me back where i started..... printing out the 40 page pdf or the "web" version that doesn't even print at all?

proximity
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I buy maybe two forms a year, on big race days, and last year I trimmed even that. With betting sites like twinspires offering basically the same information for free, why buy the form. You're not getting that much extra.

twinspires is offering drf figures (beyer/moss)?

slew101
01-20-2009, 11:15 PM
They have a ton of PP information, all free when you wager at least $1 on whatever card you download. I just take the basic PPs, but they do have speed figures, but not Beyer figures since the Form has the rights to those.

proximity
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
ok, i finally got the "web" version to work for me. i think it was my fault too. :blush:

my apologies to the drf !!