PDA

View Full Version : BRIS Custom PP Generator - works data

DJofSD
01-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm experimenting with some customized styles for generating hardcopy.

One style choice I kind of like is printing the work outs as a part of the past performance data. However, each individual work takes up a single line. Is there a way to keep the works as a part of the PPs but to spread it out across the line?

IOW, if there are 3 works since the last race, have something like this:

<last work> <2nd to last work> <3rd to last work>
last race here
<4th to last work>
2nd race back
<5th to last work> <6th to last work>

raybo
01-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm experimenting with some customized styles for generating hardcopy.

One style choice I kind of like is printing the work outs as a part of the past performance data. However, each individual work takes up a single line. Is there a way to keep the works as a part of the PPs but to spread it out across the line?

IOW, if there are 3 works since the last race, have something like this:

<last work> <2nd to last work> <3rd to last work>
last race here
<4th to last work>
2nd race back
<5th to last work> <6th to last work>

Doubt Custom PP Generator will do this. Probably need to write your own program or spreadsheet to achieve this formatting. If you have Excel experience you could either write a macro or get on the Excel forum and ask for the code for a macro to accomplish this for you. The macro would have to step through each horse's pacelines one at a time and look for workouts between races, insert any workouts it finds on the next row, then continue to the next paceline and repeat the workout search until it encounters a change in horse number (or name) and start all over until it reaches the end of file.

cj
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm amazed the people that take the time to learn how to program macros in Excel don't learn a simple programming language and greatly expand what they can accomplish. If you can learn to program macros, you can easily learn to write real programs.

raybo
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm amazed the people that take the time to learn how to program macros in Excel don't learn a simple programming language and greatly expand what they can accomplish. If you can learn to program macros, you can easily learn to write real programs.

The great majority of macros I use in my spreadsheet can be "recorded". They don't require any knowledge of any programming language, including VBA. The few macros I use that cannot be recorded I have obtained simply by asking either an individual more knowledgeable than I am or by posting in the Excel forums.

I have tried to learn Visual Basic, which is one of the easiest to learn, and have had no luck. I can, however, modify macro code, that is similar to what I need, successfully, but that does not require fluent knowledge of the language, only the ability to follow the code well enough to determine what needs to be modified.

If the poster can put into understandable language what he is trying to accomplish then he can obtain the code, without having to learn a language in order to write the code himself.

DJofSD
01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I didn't find anything in PPGen to be able to do what I want. Thanks to all.

I already spend enough time with computers and writing programs. Re-inventing PPGen is not even on my list.

I already have a program that has, as an adjunct, a grid display of the only the data I want to see in a DRF style layout. I guess I could revamp that part of it, rework the display to be graphical instead of text in a column (spreadsheet) format then sell it to BRIS as a modern replacement to PPGen.

eqitec
01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Here's how I do it.