PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable time

whyhorseofcourse
01-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Since their is all kinds of threads going on now about how we started.
Why not a thread about most memorable time playing the ponies.

I really cant think of anything now but would love to hear some stories.

Dan Montilion
01-18-2009, 02:26 AM
First time ever, 1973. Was with my late father at Q-horses at Bay Meadows. First wager Midnight Becky #3 Steve Treasure up $17 and change.

Returning a few days after my father had passed (1990). I was overwhelmed by how many condolances I received. Folks that had nothing more than a passing acquanitnce with dad or myslef offered hugs, handshakes and some simply grabbed my shoulder. Those folks said a lot

Face to face meeting for the first time with my mentor the Late Ron Cox. I had subscribed to his product but we were able to talk horses and I knew quickly I had a mentor and just hoped Ron seen somethng in me to take me under his wing. He did and I was very, very lucky to study and later contribute at Ron's feet.

Could sight many a great dollar days, many a great near misses and many, many horrid handicapping and wager mistakes. But we all have those.

Alyblakester
01-18-2009, 09:43 AM
One day at FG my father and I hit a consolation Pick 6 that paid good. That was one of the more memorable I guess. But really anytime I went to the old FG with my dear old dad was simply the best. Miss him a lot.

rusrious
01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I would have to say, Jan, 1st, 2009..

I went to my local track, to kick off my career, and with-in 20 minutes, made $140, in 4 races..

I do have to admit, I hit a 20-1 place, at $6, which was nice, but continued winning, and a table of old grumpies were giving my the evil eye. Didnt help tippin the waitress $10 for a $2 draft, LOL.. After cashing out my tickets, I told the guys, Have a great day, and they mumbled crap to me,lol.. Good Times, good times..:cool:

The Judge
01-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Q-Horse races same as Dan a horse called "Love Charge" went with a guy named Joe who was a bookie who owned a liquor store he would go to the track all the time but sometimes it was to lay off bets . Nice guy sort of the neighborhood bank,cashed checks, loaned money (no interest) etc. was a great gambler, cards, dice, horses you name it. He was always at the track and took me on occasion. He would always seem to win and when he won I won I didn't now was a past performance was. This was in the 70's.

He is now very ill with alzhemiers people are always asking me about him.

In later years (after I leaned to handicapp and went computer with Dick Mitchell's Thaii later became the 3 in 1 then the 5-1 and later Sartin) we would still ride out to the track together but we wouldn't hang out together. He would go his way and I mine, we knew what horses we were going to bet because we knew each others style of play. We would look each other up during the course of the day to check in and make sure we saw a sleeper that we may have spotted. Hook-up at the end of the day and drive home.

Dan I subcribed to the "Northwest Digest" Ron was some kind of handicapper I know he loved the pick-3 and had made a big score. Finally met him at Handicappers Expo.

BigJake
01-18-2009, 10:45 AM
My first trip was my most memorable. My Grandad, Dad, Uncle, Cousin, and Brother went on a cold rainy day to Keeneland. It was just a guys day out. I didn't know a thing about horses. I took $100 expecting to lose it all. I had just about suceeded. After the 9th race, I decided I would hold on to the remaining $20 in my pocket until my Dad showed me a horse in the 10th and final race. His name was Jake the Flake. We had found out my wife was preganet with our 3rd child, but the week before we left for Keeneland we found out she was preganet with our first son (which was also my Dad's first grandson, and my Grandfathers first Great Grandson). Even though my handle is Big Jake, in my home town I am Jacob. My son was going to be Jacob Jr, but we were going to call him Jake to keep confusion down. My son Jake - Jake the Flake in the last race, it was a no brainer for me. I let the final $20 go in a WPS bet on Jake the Flake. I had a little too much to drink that day, but remember hearing the announcer say, "and coming to the top of the stretch Jake the Flake is last." I hung my head in disappointment thinking about the way the rest of the day had gone. Then my little brother started jumping up and down and told me we had won. I found a monitor so I could confirm his statement and sure enough, Jake the Flake looped the entire field coming down the stretch and pulled off the victory. The horse went off at 9-2 and my WPS ticket cashed for about $50. My Dad was the only one who didn't bet Jake the Flake and he still gets harassed to this day for not betting on "his first Grandson". I've cashed a lot bigger tickets since then, but that was still my best win. :jump:

lamboguy
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
i was in vegas at the old mgm hotel which was on the corner of flamingo blvd, playing poker. a guy playing at the table said he had a tip on the 3 in the 4th race @ garden state. i left the table and went to the racebook to bet the horse. in those days you bet by the house numbers. so not looking at the race entries i bet 4003. as it turns out there was an entry in the race i bet, so i wound up betting the wrong horse. well the wrong horse won and paid $86 win and $28 place! i had $10 win and place on the baby!

Hajck Hillstrom
01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I've recounted the tale before in another arena at length, so I shall refer to the Reader's Digest version here. It was April 18th, 1988, and I don't ever remember being more confident with a horse as I was with WINNING COLORS in the `88 SA Derby. I had a $100 future's wager on her at Agua Caliente at odds of 100-1 to win the Kentucky Derby that year, and had been at Saratoga to watch her break her maiden at first asking.

While extolling on her virtues to Eddie, my favorite bartender on the top floor of the clubhouse, a gent, a couple down from me at the bar, overheard my conviction and leaned forward, asking in a Scottish accent, "so you think the filly can beat the boys?" I leaned forward to respond to the query and was looking directly at Rod Stewart.

The rest of the day was like a dream come true. I was nailing down picks left and right, and after the day's feature, I was toasting champagne with Rod Stewart. She was only 5-2.... but I was flush on the day and decided to play the rush.

It will soon be a year since her passing, but that day will live on in my memories forever.

turfbar
01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
O yea back in the day (1969) me and about 6 or 7 guys we all went to Fort Erie racetrack during thier summer meet, and we were following this horse named
FiddleronaHoof, who was going up the class ladder and we were catching him every time and with his regular rider Sandy Hawley. Well this was pretty late in the summer and the horses would go back to Woodbime for the fall, so it was getaway weekend. Long story short FiddleronaHoof won and paid like $19 or close to it, with a huge exacta and I got back about $500 for my investment my one buddy picked up $ 1500 ,for us then that was a lot of scratch.Everybody in the group won to varying degrees but it was so much fun to have all of us win together. Later we all went a steakhouse,and it was the first time I ordered Filet Mignon ,that I could afford it. We all went out to the shore on Lake Erie to a club and spent money like the proverbial "drunken sailor" and got pissed.I will always cherish that day.

Turfbar

1st time lasix
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
2007 Arlington million weekend. Had the opportunity to rub elbows with all the Mr D's track black-tie party guests ...sky box....access to paddock....go backside to meet some trainers and kick butt for two days at the windows with several winners. Caught two pick fours and had the "Tin Man" in the feature after crossing paths with optimistic trainer-Mandella. Easy flight in and back home with a buddy. Beautiful venue and great weather. Nice accomodations, plenty of top shelf to drink and great food. Better than the Breeder's Cups I have attended. Now only if "Bonnie the Bugler" had taken me up on my offer.......:eek:

Bubba X
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
1979 Marlboro. Slew vs Affirmed. TC winner vs TC winner.

I've seen a few big races and a few big games but nothing matched the atmosphere that day.

A. Pineda
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
My brother had just returned from Viet Nam with no job prospects, had purchased a used car and landed a $3.50 hr job putting books away at various LA County libraries. Then his car took a dump, so I thought that I would try to cheer him up with a day at SA.

My brother liked only one horse, Bobar II, in the last race, but it was ridden by a new jockey - Marco Castaneda. He decided to watch Castaneda's rides during the day and, if he looked competent, would make the bet.

Since I couldn't pick my nose that day, I talked my brother into leaving early, so he made his bets and we hit the freeway. The results came over the radio before long, and we both were ecstatic. Marco and Bobar came thru, and my brother made $2200 on his W/P and exacta bets (no tri or super then). He was able to buy a nice car and keep his job.

onefast99
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
At the Meadowlands back in 1979 I played the harness meet the day I went they had the qualifiers for the Meadowlands pace, Niatross was the huge favorite I think he was somewhere around 2-5. My brothers name was Justin we played a hunch Justin Passing we collected big as Niatross finished 4th. That was my first big win as a bettor.

sealman
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
It was election day 1963. I was a high school senior and we had the day off. So that morning I asked my father if I could use the car - nothing else, just "Can I use the car, Pop?" Since he knew I was a level-headed and responsible kid he never asked where I was going or when I would be back. So I drove down to Garden State, where I spent the day, returning home, it seems to me, around 9:00 pm. Well, he was annoyed, but only because he eventually had figured out where I had gone. But what annoyed him was that I didn't invite him to come along. Actually, I won on the day (I think $60 or something like that), but that had nothing t do with me: I bought a tip-sheet (Clocker Lawton - does that ring a bell with anybody?) and played his top selections to place. Got lucky. Anyway, the old man didn't scold or punish me; he sort of looked upon this as his firstborn spreading his wings. But he did say not ever to do that again. We always had a good chuckle over that incident over the years.

juanepstein
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
i started because my grandparents were one of the biggest books in east la in the 70's to mid 80's. they baby sat me so i rode around all over town and to the track almost everyday.

they had their own bank of america in their attic and the phone rang constantly, i mean CONSTANTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scgmhawk
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Scattered my Dad's ashes (big race fan and former owner) at the finish line at Saratoga this past summer.

rusrious
01-23-2009, 12:29 AM
I have to add this, this is by far my best time

Penn 1-22-09

R1--4--show---$3.00
R2--4--win-----$4.00-$2.80-$2.10
R3--1--win-----$5.60-$3.20-$2.20
R4--9--win-----$14.80-$7.20-$4.00
R5--6--win-----$3.60-$2.80-$2.60
R6--5--win-----$3.80-$2.60-$2.60
R7--10-win-----$6.60-$4.40-$2.60
R8--8--show---$3.20
R9--2--show---$3.60

And hit these today

Tampa
R7--5--win---$96.60-$36.60-$12.20:cool:
Laurel
R9--5 win----$85.00-$15.60-$11.80:cool:

lamboguy
01-23-2009, 05:43 AM
now that is what i call a really good time! keep up the good work rusrious.

1st time lasix
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
may you have comfort in that and piece of mind. Sorry about your loss.

oddsmaven
01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Aside from attending many thrilling big races, a $3,500 rock bottom claimer run at a place called Liberty Bell, circa 1971, comes to mind.

A teenager at the time, I went with a grand total of $4 betting money in my pants pocket (minimum was $2 wagers then, so I had two shots)...normally not the sentimental type I made an exception and backed some horse name Ah Netta who Mike Hole had booted home for me at Monmouth earlier that summer...the horse romped again with some obscure boy in the saddle paying $291.20...I did not have the exacta :( which was a state record of over $10k.

onefast99
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Aside from attending many thrilling big races, a $3,500 rock bottom claimer run at a place called Liberty Bell, circa 1971, comes to mind.

A teenager at the time, I went with a grand total of $4 betting money in my pants pocket (minimum was $2 wagers then, so I had two shots)...normally not the sentimental type I made an exception and backed some horse name Ah Netta who Mike Hole had booted home for me at Monmouth earlier that summer...the horse romped again with some obscure boy in the saddle paying $291.20...I did not have the exacta :( which was a state record of over $10k.
Another one I chased at Liberty bell and MP was Outer Voyage.

offtrack
01-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I remember attending the filming of the Black Stallion movie at Fort Erie one summer.

Terry Garr, Mickey Rooney, the film crew asking the crowd to be in the background scenes. Actors all dressed in period costumes. Very little of the film taken made into the filnal product.