PDA

View Full Version : The Glory Game

sandpit
01-17-2009, 06:08 PM
All: I have just started reading "The Glory Game", about the 1958 NFL Championship b/n Baltimore and New York, written by Frank Gifford with Peter Richmond. Though I am only a couple of chapters into it, it is already a fascinating read about one of the pivotal moments in sports history. If anybody has an inclination, I'd say it's well worth the $25.

And for all the youngsters on the board, I was born 5 years after this game was played, so I'm not some old codger yearning for yesteryear.

cj's dad
01-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Just some random thoughts since you are reading the book;

Games started @ 2PM EST then not 1PM as is the case now, it had to do with blue laws, I believe.

The game on TV was in black & white.

Until the 4th quarter it was not an exceptional game IMO

The streets around my ethnic blue collar neighborhood were deserted during the game- I know, my father made me go to the corner bar to get a jug of draft beer during the 3rd quarter. ( I was 10 at the time)

For better TV reception we put aluminum foil on the indoor antenna, we were too poor for a rooftop type - that was for the rich folk.

After the game, the men on the block went to the bar to celebrate and the boys went outside and played catch and tried to imitate Ray Berry & Johnny U.
This game made Johnny a God in Baltimore and what a great guy he was. RIP - JU

sandpit
01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, dad, those are some great tidbits. You would like the first part of the book; Gifford really takes time to set the tone about the neighborhoods in both Baltimore and New York, and how intertwined the teams both were with their hometowns.