PDA

View Full Version : Challenges

BUD
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I now some in here are medically challenged and still have fun in this game..

Right now New York seems to be moving to fast for me---To log the times make a note--Etc---

I have Optic Neuritis---I hit so many damned wrong letters while I type never mind wager at the Spire-----The MS med make me a bit to the Goofed side of life------Damm I wanna play this game but the challenges look like Mountains right now------I spend hours wade thru constant headaches just to climb up that handicapping latter- I enjoy it so much..

Any suggestions on how I can stay time based-organized and on top of what I am doing------

I do not want my handicap to be my crutch--I want to thrive---But as we stand I am at a speed bump..

I am looking for suggestions---maybe from some who have it as bad or much worse than I--------Or some who may be the executive type anyway------I used to be----But man----I am still getting used to the new me----Its a slow process----And in truth---The capping keeps me occupied 24/7 so I never need to think about me or my state..

I am not complaining just looking for advice from those wiser than I---

I pray this makes sense..

Horsefan
01-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey Bud,

I first came to PACE around 1 1/2 years ago- the forum appealed to me because it was busy, but it intimidated me because I had (have) little handicapping skills. Now that I come back to this forum 1 1/2 later I have new found respect for all of the handicappers on here. If there is a better place to learn the game on the Net, I am unaware of it. I started with the pedigree angle, the dosage angle but it was fun and easy- I think that I need to advance into analyzing times in the races. Other handicappers have said that times don't mean as much (?) There is so much to learn . . . eventually even the fan like myself who does not even bet has to realize that handicapping has to be mastered to enjoy the sport to it's fullest.

However, some of the stuff I read on here is like a foriegn language. I guess I just have to keep picking the giant Handicapping Brain That Is Pace. Or study the drf guide to handicapping?

By the way Bud, today in the Dania at Gulf Stream Park I am just picking off the top of my head Kopitar to win- I think that he's two for two, he won his dirt debut over Indygo Mountain, won his next start on turf. The only other horses in the field I am even familiar with are Lime Rickey and Duke Of Homberg. This is just off of the top of my head, it would take me an hour to just figure out this one race and I am multi tasking as we speak. Good luck with your picks Bud!

BUD
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I was just fishing to see--Maybe on par with me is someone who suffered a stroke etc--How they organize their stay at home and wager day-==My hands have lots of tremors so punching in good info takes time and patients---Sometimes more than I have.. Sometime flipping from my info is oh like lifting 300 pounds--The MS---The eyes just forget it---But I wanna keep on truckin.... I even want to be real good at some point-----

I was thinking of keeping a weekly journal--Stats and facts---For where I play--NY mainly-------Would the be OK if I put that online?

I can not move much so what I need --needs to be local to where I am---If Not its useless to me---------

I will figure this out--Who knows-----Maybe someone worse that I who has been at it a long time may stumble upon this and help the new guys approach out a bit--and organization----

much thanks to the souls who already have given me a hand---I came this far-----Would have never without your help--thanks..

lex
01-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi Bud. I'm normally just a lurker here but I thought I could give you one idea. I have someone in the family with MS so I understand your frustrations to a degree. At least as much as I can without living it. If you're looking for an easier way to keep notes and times you can try voice recognition software. I know you can use it in Microsoft Office with word and excel if you want to do some sort of spread sheet. I have never used it myself but maybe someone you know can help get it going or someone here can give more advice on it. Good Luck!

2low
01-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Bud,

What's your handicapping system? Can you explain it a bit so we can maybe come up with some ideas?

Is it that you're taking notes after the race, but don't have time to finish before the next race is ready to go? Would recording your thoughts on tape and playing back later to take notes from your recordings work?

Dave Schwartz
01-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Bud,

The voice recognition thing is a good idea.

I just got Dragin Speaking 10 for $50 on Amazon. It is an amazing program. It really works.

Of course, I realize that it does not actually address the specific issue that you mentioned but it would work.

Dave

BUD
01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Excellent the VR would help I would think--

Yes I try to watch the race 2 times--Take notes--Stay up to the minute on scrt etc---Then get myself onto the next race---What ends up happening----Is my system digresses into -

#1 a hurry
#2 a mess
#3 a bunch of notes improperly put- digressing from there.

Thanks that system sounds like it would give me the ability to use less body function that would increase on more thought--

thanks Lex 2low and My Buddy Dave.

I really think that will help-----Thanks excellent Idea.