PDA

View Full Version : The Manny watch

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Does anybody have an opinion on where Manny Ramirez will end up? I can't deny his tremendous talent for clutch hitting and is arguably the best pure hitter in the past 20 years (however) how do you win with the 'me first' attitude he consistently displays to his teammates.

I know alot of his team mates say publicly that he is a great team mate (BS) this is what they have to say ...and on the inside they must resent him ie. the fight with Youkilis last year.

I hope and pray that he does not go to the Mets (even though we can use his bat)

CincyHorseplayer
01-17-2009, 09:45 AM
The Cincinnati Reds were the worst RISP team in the majors last season with a .240 avg,so I wish they'd pony up and bring him in.But as things stand in Cincinnati they are waiting for miracles to happen that defy logic.

A Manny Ramirez would make this team an instant contender to bolster all the young talent we have.

dutchboy
01-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Prison

njcurveball
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
The Dodgers still want Manny and he still wants to play there. The problem (as usual) is Scott Boras and his egotistical demands. There is no way the Dodgers give Manny a huge 4 year contract and unfortunately for Manny, the Yanks have spent all of their money and the Red Sox do not want him back.

There is still a slim chance the Mets or Angels enter the picture, but their deals would not be what Boras is demanding. So Manny will wind up back in LA, probably with a 2 year deal. He worked hard in the last off season and hopefully he is working hard again. He was in incredible shape, although his baggy uniform never gave a hint about it.

I would LOVE to see the Phils make a run, as his right handed bat behind Howard would be enough to allow the Phils to overtake the Mets and repeat as NL Champions. Ibanez adds very little, as he is just another lefty enabling the opposing manager to keep the same pitcher in to face him and Howard.

But the Phils aren't big on spending, so look for Coletti and Boras to somehow "make up" and Manny to return for Torre.

melman
01-17-2009, 12:37 PM
nj curveball---All the Phils have to do to "overtake" the Mets is wait for the calendar to swing into September. :jump: BTW Ibanez hit 302 last year with lots of ab's facing lefthanded pitching. Plus his power numbers figure to go up playing at Citizens Bank Park.

tribecaagent
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Doesn't it seem like every time a player will "likely end up" with a team it just doesn't pan out that way?

Texeira - Angels
Lowe - Mets
Smoltz - Braves

.....just to name a few off the top of my head. I have a feeling Manny's heading to some UN-likely team. I'm a Met and I've thought all along Omar saying "there's no chance we will sign Manny" has been a ploy. I have a funny feeling he'll be in Queens this year.

njcurveball
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
nj curveball---All the Phils have to do to "overtake" the Mets is wait for the calendar to swing into September. :jump: BTW Ibanez hit 302 last year with lots of ab's facing lefthanded pitching. Plus his power numbers figure to go up playing at Citizens Bank Park.

Losing Utley and Romero to start the season would have put the Phils in a hole to begin with. However, the Mets went from having the biggest chokers in the bullpen to the best closer and set-up team in baseball. I HATE the Mets and LOVE the Phils, but I have to think with my head here.

Ibanez will be lucky for his RBI total to go up in Philly. Homers possibly (he only hit 21 last year), but he has two guys in front of him (when Utley returns) who will drive in 100+ runs. He also was horrible down the stretch and that is without a playoff battle. If he manages to even come close to what Pat Burrell will put up in Tampa it will surprise me.

melman
01-17-2009, 04:32 PM
nj curveball--"Best closer" I would have to disagree with that one. My rankings would be

1 Rivera
2 Lidge
3 Papelbon
4 K-rod

With the Phils set up guys of Madson, Durbin and Eyre (who was impresive once getting away from Sweet Lou's doghouse) and then the return of Romero (who IMHO) got screwed by MLB with that 50 suspension. I would rank them above the Mets closer and set up men. To me the key to the Phils season is keeping Hamels healthy. Last year they were smart and let him take plenty of time in between starts. It was his first year making it thru an entire season.

njcurveball
01-17-2009, 06:28 PM
nj curveball--"Best closer" I would have to disagree with that one. My rankings would be

1 Rivera
2 Lidge
3 Papelbon
4 K-rod

I said best closer AND set-up. You won't get better than Putz and K-Rod. Can't argue with your take on Madson. Can he repeat the tremendous year? Let's hope so! Good take on Hamels as well. Hope you are right!

Jim

Nmytwenties
01-17-2009, 06:35 PM
The way he literally quit in Boston last year the league shouldn't even let him play. Why these teams pay these clowns like Terrell Owens,Stephon Marbury, and other similar disruptors like Ramierez is beyond me.

OTM Al
01-17-2009, 08:03 PM
After the Yanks took Texeira, I figured no way they would take Manny. Now I wonder if they actually do move Swisher and Nady as they have been working on, if they don't pick him up on a short term contract. Not sure I'd want him on the team, but the guy can hit, and that is exactly why he is put up with.

And the Yankees have the best closer/setup combo, except they are making a starter of the setup guy......

tribecaagent
01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Losing Utley and Romero to start the season would have put the Phils in a hole to begin with. However, the Mets went from having the biggest chokers in the bullpen to the best closer and set-up team in baseball. I HATE the Mets and LOVE the Phils, but I have to think with my head here.

Ibanez will be lucky for his RBI total to go up in Philly. Homers possibly (he only hit 21 last year), but he has two guys in front of him (when Utley returns) who will drive in 100+ runs. He also was horrible down the stretch and that is without a playoff battle. If he manages to even come close to what Pat Burrell will put up in Tampa it will surprise me.

It's funny, most Met fans don't hate the phils, we detest the yankees!

Anyway Curve, ibanez moves from safeco in seattle (435 straight away center field) to citizens bank (401 straight away), why wouldn't his production increase? I give him a pass for last years collapse because his team had no sense of motivation, direction, or stability....just a complete train wreck. He might even turn out to be a playoff, clutch-type player...nothing on the line, he loses interest.

The phils have something the Mets have failed to show....heart! Until my team shows me they've overcome their mental breakdowns, the phils are still the team to beat. Regardless of any new face.

njcurveball
01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Anyway Curve, ibanez moves from safeco in seattle (435 straight away center field) to citizens bank (401 straight away), why wouldn't his production increase?

Two very simple reasons, Ichiro and the DH. The top of the order in the AL is blessed with 10-20 more RBI per season due to the DH. Ibanez was also blessed he had Ichiro and the people in front of him. Anyone on that team get close to 100 rbi other than him? Putting Howard in front of him and then Utley coming back makes a WORLD of difference in his chances.

He will be lucky to knock in 100 runs this year and his 5 or so extra homers will be probably be solo shots. I have him about an 8th or 9th round pick in my fantasy league and I doubt he will go past the fourth round. Time will tell.

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Have to agree with you Tribecaagent I DETEST THE YANKEES. I don't know if fans across the country realize that this hatred occurs between the two teams fans in New York...I wonder if this is the same in Chicago?

tribecaagent
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Two very simple reasons, Ichiro and the DH. The top of the order in the AL is blessed with 10-20 more RBI per season due to the DH. Ibanez was also blessed he had Ichiro and the people in front of him. Anyone on that team get close to 100 rbi other than him? Putting Howard in front of him and then Utley coming back makes a WORLD of difference in his chances.

He will be lucky to knock in 100 runs this year and his 5 or so extra homers will be probably be solo shots. I have him about an 8th or 9th round pick in my fantasy league and I doubt he will go past the fourth round. Time will tell.

Curve,

I'm not going to argue positive production from a division foe. If you think ibanez will take a step back, hey, i'm with you. However, ibanez going from hitting behind ichiro/lopez to hitting behind rolins/victorino will only help him with a steady diet of fastballs (ibanez is a pure fastball hitter). rollins/victorino are always on base. Compound that with a smaller park, winning atmosphere, and national league pitching....why am i making a case for this guy? ha!

OTM Al
01-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Have to agree with you Tribecaagent I DETEST THE YANKEES. I don't know if fans across the country realize that this hatred occurs between the two teams fans in New York...I wonder if this is the same in Chicago?

Having grown up near there my impression was this is true if you are one of the 6 White Sox fans in existance, but I don't think many Cubs fans realize there is another team in Chicago. Don't think too many Yanks fans really care that much about the Mets if you want to know the truth. They just think Mets fans are entertaining

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Have to disagree with you Al in my experiences the Yankee fans I come in contact with moniter every move the Mets make. I hate the Yankees mainly out of pure jealousy I know that they have been the #1 sports franchise and the best (except for the last few years), but they still garner most of the attention of the media .

I asked some friends who are Yankee fans why do you care about what trade or otherwise that the Mets do you guys have all the championships. Case in point my brother-in-law a die hard Yankee fan raved last year that they were going to get Santana like it was automatic and he bragged about his accomplishments and how he would be the number one man on the staff etc.

When the Mets got him he said "well you know he gives up a lot of home runs" I laughed.

Anyway I like the rivalry it's fun and no matter what win or lose I am a Mets fan PS Thats why I am 48 and look like I am 68 (LOL) Jet fan also.

tribecaagent
01-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I grew up in Queens rooting for both these teams and there are two franchises that I can't stomach....the yankees & miami dolphins...ugh! You probably feel the same, Zappi.

Yankee fans whom I know, don't hate the Mets, but they sure LOVE watching us blow it. Yankee fans care more about their own team winning....Now, the other side of the coin: a Met fan has two seperate rooting interests during the baseball season...our hero's winning & the evil empire losing.

Even though the Mets are worldclass chokers, there is nothing more sublime than watching the yankee dugout squirm...and the post-game interviews of a dejected girardi, posada, a-rod, jeter, mar-i-a-no-no-no! Priceless!

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-18-2009, 11:28 AM
The choke against the sox was one for the ages...it humbled even the most arrogant of the Yankee clan.

OTM Al
01-18-2009, 01:18 PM
The choke against the sox was one for the ages...it humbled even the most arrogant of the Yankee clan.

Well, a Mets/Jets fan should know choke :)

Seriously though in that series the one play that turned it was one when John Olerud hit a double into right in Fenway, I think the 5th game. Had it not bouced up into the crowd, the runner on first scores easily. As it was he only got 3rd and didn't score. One more run and I think they win that one and the series 4-1. Got to tell you though, I even told a Boston fan when Yanks were up 3-0 that it wasn't close to over. Boston was too good and the Yanks starters were shot.

I actually enjoy going to Mets games. I loved the 99 team, thought it way better than the next year's version that made the series. I just really like baseball so I watch both when I get the chance, though I prefer Yanks. Tried the Mets 1st when I came to NY, but growing up watching the Cubs, when that apple came out that stupid hat, I just couldn't do it.

Mets have the same flaw again this year that's going to be the end of them. No power from the corner outfielders. If anyone needs Manny its them. Yes, the bullpen was bad last year, but a couple more runs here or there and they win a few of those they lost. If anyone thinks Fernando Tatis is going to keep up that miracle they're nuts and who knows what Delgado is going to be like another year older and Church is only a servicable player as long as he doesn't get his bell rung again. Mets get Manny, they win the NL this year. I honestly believe this. They don't, they are 50-50 to make the playoffs. The new and improved bullpen needs some runs to save the game and Manny is the guy to get them. Otherwise the lineup is only going to have juice 4 hitters deep once again.

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-18-2009, 01:46 PM
One of my fondest memories at a ball park occured at Wrigley field in the 80's I was there with about 6 friends for a long weekend to watch the Mets and what a ball park.

The fans were the best...and I believe the Cub fans are the most loyal fans in baseball. They attend every game and stay and root root root for the home team. They gave us good natured ribbing at the game and we gave it to them back...what a pleasant group of fans. There were no cursing drunkenness unlike what I've seen at the New York ball parks in my years. A great family place to enjoy the all american past time. AND OH THE HIELMAN FREEZER BEER...THE BEST!

I root for the Cubbies when they are in the playoffs...tough beats last few.

tribecaagent
01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
One of my fondest memories at a ball park occured at Wrigley field in the 80's I was there with about 6 friends for a long weekend to watch the Mets and what a ball park.

The fans were the best...and I believe the Cub fans are the most loyal fans in baseball. They attend every game and stay and root root root for the home team. They gave us good natured ribbing at the game and we gave it to them back...what a pleasant group of fans. There were no cursing drunkenness unlike what I've seen at the New York ball parks in my years. A great family place to enjoy the all american past time. AND OH THE HIELMAN FREEZER BEER...THE BEST!

Thats the way it should be.

I'm ashamed to say, shea stadium was a hotbed of drunken knuckleheads. Maybe the new stadium will bring a new atmoshpere.

BombsAway Bob
01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
The fans were the best...and I believe the Cub fans are the most loyal fans in baseball. They attend every game and stay and root root root for the home team. They gave us good natured ribbing at the game and we gave it to them back...what a pleasant group of fans. There were no cursing drunkenness unlike what I've seen at the New York ball parks in my years. A great family place to enjoy the all american past time.
AND OH THE HIELMAN FREEZER BEER...THE BEST!
I had never heard of Hielman, & when I searched, I found an article from a few weeks ago about it. May be coming back!
http://www.brookstonbeerbulletin.com/wp-content/blogos/old-style.jpg

G. Heilman’s “Old Style Beer” used to be a very popular regional brand since its introduction in 1902. It was first advertised as being “‘fully kraeusened’ and made with pure artesian well water from ‘God’s country,’ meaning western Wisconsin.” That’s because the G. Heilman Brewery was located in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

http://www.brookstonbeerbulletin.com/wp-content/blabels/old-style.jpg Today the brewery is known as the City Brewing (http://www.citybrewery.com/), having been purchased by new owners after Heilman went out of business in 1999. Stroh’s originally bought the Heilman brands, but when three years later they likewise folded their tent, Pabst Brewing (http://www.pabst.com/) scooped them up. Miller’s been contract brewing Old Style for sale in Great Lakes area since that time, but using the changed brewing process implemented by Stroh’s. Stroh’s stopped kraeusening the beer and Miller’s continued brewing it for Pabst unkraeusened.

Pabst announced last week that they would begin kraeusening it again and marketing it as “authentically kraeusened.” They’re also planning on raising the price and trying to position it as a a more premium brand. That may be a tough sell, as it’s been a bargain brand for a long time. And as for selling it as being kraeusened, that also seems like a concept destined to fall flat with consumers.

Kraeusening, of course, is hardly unique or magical, but a centuries-old German brewing technique. Many breweries still use the process today, including a large number in the U.S. Here’s one explanation of it, from The Brewer’s Handbook by Ted Goldammer:

“Kraeusen” is the German word used to describe the infusion of a strongly fermenting young beer into a larger volume of beer that has undergone primary fermentation. Traditionally, the wort used for kraeusening is obtained from the high ‘kraeusen’ stage of primary fermentation and added in small portions (5-20% by volume) to the green beer to start a secondary fermentation.

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice research Bombs away. Would love to down a few in the 90 degree heat at Wrigley field. Interesting to note that this beer was advertised as freezer beer (I guess they were kept real cold LOL). Sure was a good beer.