PDA

View Full Version : 2 Horse Bet

beaucap
01-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Question???? Can a decent handicapper....make a profit...in the long run of course, betting 2 horses to win in every race he or she bets.....

njcurveball
01-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I sat with a lot of Sartin people who had winning days doing this. It works out well when you catch a price horse and are only betting one track.

Unfortunately it doesn't work very well when there are days when the favorite wins a lot of races.

Since you posted this in Harness, I would say it is probably "a slow death of bankroll" at a track like Freehold. However, it could be profitable at the Meadowlands if you are a decent handicapper who can break a race down in a number of ways.

The Bit
01-16-2009, 11:55 PM
NJcurve just about nailed it. In my opinion it would almost impossible to do at 1/2 or 5/8's tracks due to post biased and shorter fields.

Meadowlands I think you could do ok if you picked your spots. I do it from time to time. I do think you would need some obscure angles or information you gather on your own to gain an additional edge.

Ray2000
01-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Trying to find an overlay in any race large enough to overcome the track takeout % is tough , finding 2 is prit'near impossible.:)

beaucap
01-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the advise guys....i beleive that if the proper amount of money is wagered on each horse... according to the odds... a profit can be produced over a long period of time (a year). Like you have mentioned it has to be at a mile track. The track has to be the Meadowlands.....or simular

LottaKash
01-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Occasionally I will bet two horses, and most of the time it is primarily when I have a strong opinion that, I believe that the Favorite is a phony-baloney....

All size tracks for me, are fair game, it's just this false favorite thing that has to be evident......

best,

The Bit
01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
While it may not be financially sound, I do it for my mental well being more often than not. I'd rather bet 3 or 4 units on the 7-2 horse I think is the best value, but I'll also bet 1 or 2 units on a horse that is going off at 12 to 25-1 that I think may outrun his/her odds and cause me grief if I'm not onboard.

beaucap
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
To..The Bit....does the second horse come in a fair amount of time,that you bet.....

The Bit
01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Bcap,

It works enough that I think it is worth my while. I had Rob Us on Jan 4th at the Big M at like 22 or 23-1 doing this. I had bet the 2nd or 3rd choice and also put $3 dollars on Rob Us who paid $46 and change. I had a $70 dollar horse at Freehold a few months ago doing it. I had Macdeen Star with Campbell a few weeks ago at M1 and he paid in the mid $40's.

That being said, I've never tracked my success or failure doing it closely, so I'm not 100% sure.