PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas for families?

banacek
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I am thinking about taking the family on a quick winter getaway-Vegas is pretty close to us and relatively cheap. The only time I've been to Vegas was in 1981 - and it wasn't for families then. I understand lots has changed and am interested in any advice. What kinds of activities are there for families - I can imagine a trip to the dam, but wondered what kinds of amenties there are in the city itself. Thanks!

MarquisMark
01-15-2009, 06:10 PM
You can find stuff to do for kids here but this place is designed for adults. The attempts of the 1990's to make Vegas family-friendly have been abandoned.

I'm not sure where you're located at but if you have younger kids, I'd take them to Disneyland in LA or the Zoo in San Diego or the state parks in Utah instead. When they get a little older you can bring them back here and probably have more fun together.

toetoe
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
banacek,

You would have a great time here, and you could drive a hard bargain on rooms, packages, et cetera.

Not sure exactly what kid stuff you guys like, but LV has everything, and GORGEOUS outdoor areas for hiking.

Is it something to do with scantily clad waitresses that worries you ? Whatever it is, I think it can be resolved, and the Chuck E. Cheese experience always seemed fake and forced to me, anyway.

Rookies
01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Personally, LV is NOT a place for kids imho. I went in '95 to a 50th Family Anniversary and it was waaaay kid oriented.

Not now & they don't want them, as it interferes with the action. It's Disney for adults, make no mistake about it ! There are great things to see outside LV for kids, but you still would be bringing them back where... it's more grittier.

I'm going in March with the wife... JUST the wife... :)

RaceBookJoe
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I wouldnt mention Vegas as a first choice for a family vacation, but if you do bring the family including kids, here are a few recommendations :
1. The Adventuredome at Circus Circus
2. Top of the Stratosphere...nice views, thrill rides
3. NYNY has a nice arcade and decent roller coaster.
4. M&M factory right across from NYNY
5. Flower Display/Fountains at Bellagio
6. Volcano at the Mirage
7. Hiking at Red Rock
8. Light show on Fremont St

Other than that it is pretty much adult oriented.
Hope you have a good vacation if you come. rbj

jballscalls
01-17-2009, 10:29 AM
yeah ten and fifteen years ago they tried marketing it as America's new family vacation destination. Now all the commercials are "what happens in vegas, stays in vegas"

there are things for the kiddies to do though, and the pool's are so nice at some of these places, they might just stay there the whole time.

banacek
01-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks all for the responses...I think we are going to do San Diego. I've never been there, should be fun.

RaceBookJoe
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for the responses...I think we are going to do San Diego. I've never been there, should be fun.

To make it exciting, tell the kids that they can be first in line at Del Mar and a Padres game haha. rbj

toetoe
01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Do the generic Sea World/Zoo/Wildlife Park/Gaslamp Quarter/Hotel del
Coronado Breakfast tour. :ThmbUp: , :ThmbUp:

bigmack
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Do the generic Sea World/Zoo/Wildlife Park/Gaslamp Quarter/Hotel del
Coronado Breakfast tour. :ThmbUp: , :ThmbUp:
En contraire, Orteils. May I suggest a quick jaunt deep into the bowels of TJ? Show the kids how hard core drug gangs perform unspeakable acts on one another. They'll think twice about strappin' heat and joining their local pack as yet another pachuco.

toetoe
01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
" ... clap clap clap clap - deep in the bow'ls of Teejay."

Tom Jones ?

Tito Jackson ?

dav4463
01-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I guess a tour of the Bunny Ranch is out of the question. :D