PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Cancelling 1/16

OTM Al
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Its pretty cold out there today, but with the winds and temps predicted for Friday, they are calling off the races. Saturday should be better given the current forcast so I expect they will be back.

BUD
01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Babies----:D --I was told once when I royally Pi.$$ed the good Captain off---In the coldest Day and night I ever remember to guard----THE VIRGIN SNOW ---
Then I was told to search for any breaches of that fence that may lay underneath the snow...:lol: We are talking like 30 plus frozen inches.. haha on me!!

Yes it is cold for the horses------I would love to run into that Captain again-------Before he retired I did lock him in the freezer------The good Cap was OK 3 hours later-------I was already at the Bar------

For a guy who caps NY where should I go Tomorrow?-----Please don't tell me do a fence check---Hell I wish I could walk and do one---

The boredom of just watchin kills me---I gotto be involved somehow?

ArlJim78
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
we never reached zero today in Chicago. probably the air is moving on over to the east, not good for racing.

JWBurnie
01-15-2009, 04:30 PM
It is way too cold to be running. I'm glad to see tracks already canceling tomorrow's cards. They should. How would you like to be shipping in to Charles Town or Penn National tonight? Runners on lasix have to be there 4 hours before their post. At CT, post time 7:15. In the past, CT won't cancel races unless the jockey's refuse to ride. Ridiculous.

How pissed would you be if you had been sitting there since 3:15 and racing isn't cancelled till 7:00? Oh, you didn't want to run in these conditions and tried to scratch, but was told you'd get 10 days on the vet list.

Waste of your time, money and to top it off, freezing your huevos off.

The Hawk
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
For those interested, I hear there's a, quote, "fair" chance (quote from NYRA officials) that Aqueduct may cancel on Saturday as well.

BELMONT 6-6-09
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Gotta be honest over the years the few times I watched a race as a 'railbird' at the BIG A the winds off Jamaica Bay can be brutal this time of year.

toetoe
01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
BUD,

Who knows ? Maybe they're picketing ... :confused: ... :bang: .

onefast99
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
According to HRTV they are closing due to the big storm coming in? What storm? Is the weather man hiding something or is HRTV clueless.

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't understand at all the rational behind running on Thursday and cancelling on Friday. The temperatures were roughly equal both days (ie. cold as hell...). Thursday it was snowing in the morning with occasional light snow through the day, and Friday was quite sunny.

Why were they able to run Thursday but not Friday?

BUD
01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Are they running Saturday?

jeebus1083
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't understand at all the rational behind running on Thursday and cancelling on Friday. The temperatures were roughly equal both days (ie. cold as hell...). Thursday it was snowing in the morning with occasional light snow through the day, and Friday was quite sunny.

Why were they able to run Thursday but not Friday?

Wind chill may have been forecasted to be worse on Friday than it was on Thursday. The NY jockey colony is also notorious for cancelling a card after one or two races in these conditions, so why not just save everyone time and cancel the whole card?

As far as Saturday is concerned, it's going to be as cold as today, and if the wind off Jamaica Bay is bad, look for the jocks to cancel.

OTM Al
01-16-2009, 06:22 PM
It was supposed to be 15 degrees with sub zero windchill. Didn't happen. Forecasts aren't always right. Happens. Should be fine tomorrow.

the little guy
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
OTMAl is right. It's a tough situation and the last thing you want is to have people show up, and the horsemen get all the horses to the track, and cancel late. You can't be wrong erring on the side of caution in a situation like this.

If it was up to me we would never cancel.....but it's warm in my office and the studio. I can't fault the riders in days of extreme cold and wind.

Southieboy
01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Saturday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -3. West wind around 8 mph.

cj
01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
There have been tons of complaints, many rightfully so, when NYRA has canceled at the last moment in the past. I don't see a big deal about missing a card. The horses are still there and can help fill fields this week.

toetoe
01-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Attention, please .................................................. ..............................

........................................... RIDERS UP !

BUD
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Saturday

12pm
18°F
Feels Like
9°F--
3pm
20°F
Feels Like
13°F --
6pm
Feels Like
12°F--

Ya that's pretty cold---Tell The Jocks BUD aint got no life but the New York circuit..

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I looked at the forecast for Friday while they were running Thursday's card. The forecast I was reading from the weather channel looked pretty much the same in terms of temperature and wind as we were experiencing Thursday when it was apparently ok to run....

I still don't get it...but it's not really a big deal....

gopony
01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Saturday

12pm
18°F
Feels Like
9°F--
3pm
20°F
Feels Like
13°F --
6pm
Feels Like
12°F--

Ya that's pretty cold---Tell The Jocks BUD aint got no life but the New York circuit..
images/UBGX/E1.gif
Yeah but on the back of a horse going 35 mph (usually the ones I bet on) 10 F has wind chill of -14. Even if I weighed 120 lbs, by the time I had stuffed my boots, crotch, arms, helmet with chemical heating packs I'd weigh over 125.

I'm glad I'm over six foot and weigh over 250lb. Anybody told me to race a wild ass horse on a 20 F day, I'd probably just bitch slap the crap out of them.

Thomas Roulston
01-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Well I can remember when they stopped racing at Aqueduct on the Saturday before the winter solstice (with the Display Handicap being the featured race on closing day) and didn't resume until March 1st (when the Paumunok Handicap was the feature).

There is something to be said for returning to those days.

OTM Al
01-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Well I can remember when they stopped racing at Aqueduct on the Saturday before the winter solstice (with the Display Handicap being the featured race on closing day) and didn't resume until March 1st (when the Paumunok Handicap was the feature).

There is something to be said for returning to those days.

Like when the only exotic bet being the daily double?

Like when the mob was fixing races?

Like when the only way you could place a bet was to go to the track?

No, thanks. I'll take it just the way it is.

Tom
01-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Just because they run all year is no reason to have to bet them.
Back then, they were the only game in town.
Now, we got lots of towns.

The Hawk
01-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Like when the only exotic bet being the daily double?

Like when the mob was fixing races?

Like when the only way you could place a bet was to go to the track?

No, thanks. I'll take it just the way it is.

The way it is?

Like when the tote's manipulated so the odds change during the race?

Like with the five and six horse fields?

Like with 3,000 people on a Saturday, as opposed to 30,000?

I'd take the old days.

Marshall Bennett
01-17-2009, 02:08 PM
You would think TVG would suck up the Aqueduct feed for all its worth , they don't have much else . Today they showed a live race from Tampa , then went to a commercial and missed the live feed from Aqueduct's 4th . This network has reach an all time low . They simply stink !!

OTM Al
01-17-2009, 07:55 PM
The way it is?

Like when the tote's manipulated so the odds change during the race?

Like with the five and six horse fields?

Like with 3,000 people on a Saturday, as opposed to 30,000?

I'd take the old days.

Good luck finding them then. Don't care for small fields either, but you did have those in the good ole days as well. And frankly why would I rather deal with 30,000 people at the track than 3000? Much more comfortable the way it is. As for number one, I guess we all believe in some sort of boogey man.

It never ceases to amaze me that no one seems to get that from the gambler's perspective, things are better than they EVER have been.

Today if you don't like some of the races being run, feild too short or whatever reason, you can look at any number of other tracks. In the good ole days you got 8 races, period.

Today you have a huge menu of bets to select each race, some with minimums less than $1. In the good ole days you got win, place, and show and if you wanted more, better be sure to make it in time for the daily double, $2 minimum (once was $5 but those were the good ole ole times)

Today, if you don't feel like going out to the track you can turn on your computer and bet on all sorts of races from all over the world. You can watch them on dedicated racing channels or on the net. You can even bet away from home on a mobile phone device. In the good ole days you had to fight your way with 30,000 other people on a saturday to get to the track and find somewhere to sit and stand in long betting lines.

Maybe it sounds like I'm picking on you, and maybe I am a little too much, so don't be mad, but these days are pretty good too despite all the doom and gloomers. It is a common practice to think better of bygone eras, but it generally just isn't true.

The Hawk
01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Good luck finding them then. Don't care for small fields either, but you did have those in the good ole days as well. And frankly why would I rather deal with 30,000 people at the track than 3000? Much more comfortable the way it is. As for number one, I guess we all believe in some sort of boogey man.

It never ceases to amaze me that no one seems to get that from the gambler's perspective, things are better than they EVER have been.

Today if you don't like some of the races being run, feild too short or whatever reason, you can look at any number of other tracks. In the good ole days you got 8 races, period.

Today you have a huge menu of bets to select each race, some with minimums less than $1. In the good ole days you got win, place, and show and if you wanted more, better be sure to make it in time for the daily double, $2 minimum (once was $5 but those were the good ole ole times)

Today, if you don't feel like going out to the track you can turn on your computer and bet on all sorts of races from all over the world. You can watch them on dedicated racing channels or on the net. You can even bet away from home on a mobile phone device. In the good ole days you had to fight your way with 30,000 other people on a saturday to get to the track and find somewhere to sit and stand in long betting lines.

Maybe it sounds like I'm picking on you, and maybe I am a little too much, so don't be mad, but these days are pretty good too despite all the doom and gloomers. It is a common practice to think better of bygone eras, but it generally just isn't true.

Good point about the minimum bets and the choice of tracks but you kind of prove my point when you mention turning on the computer and watching the races on the internet.