PDA

View Full Version : Square Eddie

Gorgeous George
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
The former John Best-trained Square Eddie makes his seasonal reappearance in the San Rafael Stakes at Santa Anita on Saturday.

Winner of the Lane's End Futurity Stakes on his final start for Best, the son of Smart Strike went on to chase home Midshipman in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile for new trainer Doug O'Neill.

He reports his star to be ready for his first race of 2009.

"He's doing fantastic. He looks great, full of energy. We gave him 83 days between the Breeders' Cup and the San Rafael, so he's been freshened and he looks ready to roll," O'Neill said.

A crack at the Kentucky Derby seems likely for the colt but O'Neill was unable to confirm future plans.

"I don't know. That would definitely be a Team Reddam decision, but I'm pretty certain there would be at least one dirt prep if all goes well, maybe two.

"But Saturday's a big day and we're hoping for a big effort and see him come out of it good," he said.

Robert Fischer
01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
if the way they did great hunter is an indication, we should see a sound square eddie in the derby. team reddam likes to be at the event, even if the animal might not be competitive.

but hey square eddie could be competitive if he is talented enough... He isn't some obscure turf bred polytrack ... strike/elgran/quadratic/baghdad real solid. we saw that Best had a lot of stamina when the rest of those like pioneer of the nile were too weak on the keeneland surface

hope he keeps moving forward and gets a 9 furlong dirt prep however unlikely

Robert Fischer
01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Returns today in the San Rafael @ Santa Anita :jump:

strapper
01-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Eddie got beat, didn't seem like any excuses, other than the winner rated kindly and had something left. The Pamplemousse ran a beautiful race, nice big grey.

toetoe
01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Gawd, how many must scratch for this guy to win ? I pray, for his sake, that some weird pace excuse applies here. :ThmbDown:

plainolebill
01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
My understanding is that Eddie couldn't move his legs fast enough.

Gawd, how many must scratch for this guy to win ? I pray, for his sake, that some weird pace excuse applies here. :ThmbDown:

Robert Fischer
01-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Eddie was game to the wire and ran his same race. It wasn't a bad performance (unless you bet him to win)

race was a short route over a synthetic surface , and the track was kind enough to loose speed

the winner ran a good race

If this had been 10 furlongs on dirt, against this same group of horses, Square Eddie would have won under wraps. Doesn't mean he is the derby horse though. We really have no clue yet

plainolebill
01-18-2009, 01:22 AM
I disagree Robert, Eddie flattened and who can say if he could ever have caught The Pamplemousse. That one certainly has some upside while we may have seen Eddie's best. O'Neill has sure been down that road before.

No doubt it's too early to tell anything.

OTM Al
01-18-2009, 08:35 AM
The one in the race with upside was the 4. If he builds a little more stamina off that effort he would flatten that crowd. Honestly though I'm not sure that's saying much. Square Eddie may be a must underneath come derby time but I don't think he looks like a winner at the moment. Doesn't seem to want to pass. Still early, but it gets late quickly.....

Robert Fischer
01-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I disagree Robert, Eddie flattened and who can say if he could ever have caught The Pamplemousse. That one certainly has some upside while we may have seen Eddie's best. O'Neill has sure been down that road before.

:ThmbUp: different opinions is what makes this game fun

agree that the 4 looked great OTM Al

OTM Al
01-18-2009, 01:24 PM
:ThmbUp: different opinions is what makes this game fun

agree that the 4 looked great OTM Al

Don't know how he will run on dirt, but wouldn't mind being able to book him for the Virginia Derby. That G2 placing he had was no joke.