PDA

View Full Version : Paul Moran And Equidaily Don't Get It...Miss Mark On " New Media "

Stevie Belmont
01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Thoroughbred racing has long been an after-thought in the mainstream sports world. Media coverage is almost non-existent, except when the Triple Crown races and Breeders' Cup (http://breederscup.com/)come around. Racing has and continues to lag far behind other sports in media coverage for various reasons. Let's face it, if you don't handicap there is not much there for you, unless you're a real enthusiast of the sport, which I am both. Things do not necessarily have to be that way however. Thoroughbred racing has a lot to offer.

There is not much anyone can do about horses not sticking around. Owners can do what they want—it's their investment not ours. So I ask, what can anyone do? I can start by saying there are things so-called media experts can stop doing. Let's start with the all-knowing Paul Moran who recently wrote a blog entry stating that bloggers themselves are not part of the "new media" Okay, yet Mr. Moran sees fit to have a blog. Why, because he is smarter, more educated, and in the know from years of being in the industry. Or so one may think. Anyone who places a bet, or follows racing, is part of the industry regardless of how Mr. Moran or anyone else feels about it.

Paul Moran's blog entry on January 7, 2009 What exactly is racing's "New Media?" (http://paulmoranattheraces.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-exactly-is-racings-new-media.html)was weak, filled with presumptions, and flat-out insulting to the world of online bloggers, whether one calls themselves an Internet journalist or blogger. The fact is simple and straightforward. I think Paul Moran has superb credentials, but is no more qualified to write a blog than anyone else. And further more he is not in a position to dictate whether bloggers are part of a so-called "new media". The fact of the matter is they already are and have been for a good period of time. And this goes for all bloggers, not just horseracing bloggers. Mr. Moran states the only qualifications for anyone to have a blog is simply owning a computer and having some spare time. As if to say anyone who does have a blog is nothing more than a person who owns a computer and has nothing better to do. If that's the case, the same can be said of Mr. Moran, who as we know owns a computer, so we think. Sometimes I wonder if Mr. Moran owns a cell phone, or chooses to still communicate via smoke signals. The generalizations made in his blog entry are inaccurate and unfair.

Mr. Moran will tell you what he has accomplished on his blog. On the left side is a long list of his accomplishments and achievements. Impressive, but for an individual who has long been synonymous with racing, one does not need to tout accomplishment's in order to prove that their word and opinion is far better then yours or mine. Many self-proclaimed experts will do this on their blog, and I'm, not impressed.

I will agree that the word blog is a bit ridiculous, and I do not care for the word at all, but it's no more ridiculous than Mr. Moran's baseless insults on his own blog, no less on blogspot.com, a contradictory action in itself. Mr. Moran, does not like the word blog? A word of advice to Mr. Moran, get your own website. That's what I did. There are a lot of things in the racing industry we do not like, and negative feedback from a prominent racing writer is certainly not something that should be embraced, or taken as gospel, when the people that do have a blog are in fact trying to promote a sport, that in some eyes is dying. That's an entirely different topic for another day.

Paul Moran's comments on his blog in regards to current day bloggers as not being part of "new media" is also an elitist statement in its own right. Paul Moran's message is clear and to the point. He is more qualified to write a blog than you or me. That's the message here, and if you read a blog, take it for what it is, some rant from some person that works two jobs to make a living, barely has any real knowledge of the racing game, and is lucky enough to actually own a computer and have some spare time.

What constitutes who and what an expert is I ask? It's not someone who will tell you, it's the person who produces the material. Certain blogs and or websites have a theme, and focus on what that particular author knows best. And anyone who has a blog, and or website, should focus on what they do and know best.

At ThoroughbredZone (http://thoroughbredzone.com/) we focus on the one thing the sport is, and will always be about, the thoroughbreds that run their guts out each and every day throughout racing tracks around the United States. There are many links to websites that detail the history of the thoroughbred. We also focus on the big racing days, such as the Kentucky Derby (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2009/) and Breeders' Cup (http://breederscup.com/). These are the biggest day's in racing. There are also many photo albums that have been taken throughout the years at various tracks on the website. And we also follow young talented horses as they progress at ThoroughbredZone (http://thoroughbredzone.com/). We also try to give a person who is interested in racing an idea of what the thoroughbred is, and there is a section for thoroughbred newbies.

I do consider myself an expert in the sense that it's what I do and know. We don't necessarily post opinions on a daily basis the way some other blogs do. And anyone else who has a well-put together blog is no less an expert than Mr. Moran who touts his long list of accomplishments for all to see.

Bloodhorse.com (http://www.bloodhorse.com/), the preeminent racing website on the Internet, has even added a section for blogging articles on their homepage from the Thoroughbred Bloggers Alliance (http://thoroughbredbloggersalliance.blogspot.com/). The Bloodhorse gets it. Mr. Moran does not. Some blogs may have more substance than others, but the common theme is they are about thoroughbred racing for the most part.

Another issue that has come to my attention is the way the sport gets covered on the Internet by other websites and media. Equidaily.com (http://equidaily.com/)is a popular website that collects its content from other websites, such as links to stories, and occasionally a blogger or two that might post something of interest. The website is designed in the same way the successful website Drudgereport.com (http://drudgereport.com/)is designed, and there is a distinct similarity in these two websites style and layout. Both are easy to navigate and read.

Equidaily.com (http://equidaily.com/) is considered a one-stop source by many racing fans for news and information in the thoroughbred horseracing industry, however they too have done their best to treat bloggers as second-rate citizens in the world of thoroughbred racing as well. Occasionally a blogger will have a link posted, but more often than not, they go unnoticed.

Recently I had submitted photos, that I had taken from the 2008 racing year and posted them on website as ThoroughbredZone's 2008 Pictures of the Year (http://thoroughbredzone.com/2008-year-in-pictures/). Many of these photos captured some of the biggest racing moments from 2008, but were not considered worthy of being linked to on Equidaily.com (http://equidaily.com/). Promoting and showing pictures of thoroughbred race horses, that one would not normally see, has been deemed not worthy by Equidaily.com (http://equidaily.com/), just another example of why the sport lacks the fan base other sports might have.

I sent an e-mail looking for a simple explanation as to why the photos were not considered. I was answered back with a contradictory e-mail stating that they don't accept photo submissions. The only pictures that they would link to are professional quality photos that stand out for some reason. Or perhaps an amateur photo that offers an unusual take, or goes with an interesting story. The last sentence basically would qualify anyone who takes a picture at the track to have a photo submission at least considered, since any picture taken is unique and different. I'm sure racing fans and non-racing fans alike are not too concerned about what camera took the photo. As in Mr. Moran's case, the same holds true here, so what qualifies a professional picture? Viewers do not necessarily concern themselves with things like that, if the photo is a good one.

The err of most racing fans has been usually directed towards owners of thoroughbreds and racetracks. However that thought process should at least be altered a bit in light of such negative press directed towards bloggers and people who take pictures that can only enhance the popularity of thoroughbred racing throughout the United States. More mainstream coverage is needed for racing to continue to move forward, and Equidaily.com (http://equidaily.com/)could be in a position to do that, if they choose to.

To those I say the more blogs and horse pictures, the better. The sport needs and will continue to need, as much positive press as possible, not negativity towards those that follow the sport.

The shift of media outlets in this world have transformed greatly over the past decade and will continue to do so with the introduction of social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, mobile devices, and more bloggers as we move further into 20th century. The avenue for the racing fan continues to expand to far reaching parts of the world. There are also message boards on the Internet that are a place where the common fan and experts a like can mingle, such as Paceadvantage.com (http://paceadvantage.com/), ThoroughbredChampions.com (http://www.thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/)and Pedigreequery.com (http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/index.php?sid=2a73ca9235d3880a4abfa391019998ad). Joining one of these forums is always a good way to share opinions and get feedback It's always a good idea to join or look at these particular forums, than to ignore them all together. The problem is many people don't know about them. No links to these sites can be found on Equidaily.com either.

Thoroughbred racing is at a crossroads on how to promote the sport. The only way for racing to continue to move forward into the 21st century is to embrace this "new media" of Internet journalists who put their time and effort to produce racing material. Blogs and/or Internet journalists are part of the "new media", whether Mr. Moran is willing to believe this or not, and will continue to be for many years to come. Opening the door to this particular group of people will bring new fans into a sport that has yet to find a real way to do so. A new type of fan, a younger more computer savvy fan can be introduced to the exciting world of thoroughbred racing. New ideas are what the industry needs, not the same old, recycled, information that still continues to be put forward by the same outlets.

JustRalph
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't disagree with him in some ways. The Bloggers are starting to turn into that static you hear between AM radio stations............. there is so much of it and most of it means nothing......or sorting through it takes too much time.

I personally hate the "old media" as time goes on we are finding out that the "old media" was full of shit in many ways. The more we learn, the less credibility they have. There is a huge monopoly on racing information......... and there always has been. No longer. The blogs are taking on the same subjects and expounding upon them beyond what was there before. Sometimes within minutes of an event. The problem of filtering remains though.

You know what they say, opinions are like "rear ends" everybody's got one and they all stink! Now days you can smell them all via the Internet. Eventually the stink overpowers you................and you pass out :lol:

OTM Al
01-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Let's face it, he has a blog (or if you don't like that name, call it by the full name, "Web Log") because there is no longer a place for him in the papers and I have often commented on how bitter he often seems over this. He also has used his blog quite irresponsibly in the past, posting what seem to be news stories, but that have had no fact checking, as an editor would demand on a "real" publication. When proven wrong, he will not print retractions. He will also not allow any dissenting opinions to be posted in his comments section. I know as I have tried on several occasions.

The man was once an excellent writer. Once in a while he still shows flashes of that skill. What he isn't is a journalist, the very thing he seems to represent himself as. Most of his blog these days are news stories that he takes, many from NYRA, his favorite bashing target, and way too often for someone that is supposed to know the rules, he does not give proper credit. Negativity and near slander seem to be the focus of much of his writing these days and who really needs it?

There are some wonderful blogs out there. My current favorite is "Brooklyn Backstretch". I had the priviledge of meeting the writer recently and was happy to be able to tell her in person that I thought she was great at it. (Incidently, Mr. Moran's article appeared a day or two after a piece on the same subject matter had been written on this blog. Coincidence....I think not). I have also recently found the blog "Colin's Ghost" which is nice historical writing. Trust me when I say these two blow Mr. Moran's work away in terms of quality and passion. Something the game we all enjoy needs more of. There's enough complaining out there already.

Sometimes I feel sorry for people like Mr. Moran when I think about how the world they knew and thought they would always be a part of gets wiped away and replaced with something they really will never get a full grip on. But then I recall his nastiness and bitterness and think it couldn't have happened to a better guy.

The Hawk
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Let's face it, he has a blog (or if you don't like that name, call it by the full name, "Web Log") because there is no longer a place for him in the papers and I have often commented on how bitter he often seems over this. He also has used his blog quite irresponsibly in the past, posting what seem to be news stories, but that have had no fact checking, as an editor would demand on a "real" publication. When proven wrong, he will not print retractions. He will also not allow any dissenting opinions to be posted in his comments section. I know as I have tried on several occasions.

The man was once an excellent writer. Once in a while he still shows flashes of that skill. What he isn't is a journalist, the very thing he seems to represent himself as. Most of his blog these days are news stories that he takes, many from NYRA, his favorite bashing target, and way too often for someone that is supposed to know the rules, he does not give proper credit. Negativity and near slander seem to be the focus of much of his writing these days and who really needs it?

There are some wonderful blogs out there. My current favorite is "Brooklyn Backstretch". I had the priviledge of meeting the writer recently and was happy to be able to tell her in person that I thought she was great at it. (Incidently, Mr. Moran's article appeared a day or two after a piece on the same subject matter had been written on this blog. Coincidence....I think not). I have also recently found the blog "Colin's Ghost" which is nice historical writing. Trust me when I say these two blow Mr. Moran's work away in terms of quality and passion. Something the game we all enjoy needs more of. There's enough complaining out there already.

Sometimes I feel sorry for people like Mr. Moran when I think about how the world they knew and thought they would always be a part of gets wiped away and replaced with something they really will never get a full grip on. But then I recall his nastiness and bitterness and think it couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Well said. Moran's opinion shouldn't get anyone upset, he has no credibility.

Stevie, just keep doing what you're doing. This is someone who merits no respect. Don't let his opinion get in your way in any way possible.

JustRalph
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
how long until the blogs are culled sufficiently?

Will only the good ones last? It might take ten years to answer that question............. and that's the problem.

pandy
01-15-2009, 07:14 AM
If you write a blog and people read it, that's all the credentials you need. A writer's success should not be measured by awards, but by how many people read his writing.

Tom
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
What does it cost to run a blog?
Is there a revenue stream stream from them?

pandy
01-15-2009, 07:46 AM
The cost is low, revenue is possible if you had ads on your blogs, such as Google ads that people click on. The real famous blogs probably do make a nice profit, but I doubt that most blogs make any money.

rastajenk
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
how long until the blogs are culled sufficiently?

Will only the good ones last? It might take ten years to answer that question............. and that's the problem.What's the problem? The outside, non-racing world doesn't seem to have a problem with the proliferation of blogs; on the contrary, it embraces all of them, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

JustRalph
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
If you write a blog and people read it, that's all the credentials you need. A writer's success should not be measured by awards, but by how many people read his writing.

Come on Pandy....? By that narrow definition Pravda is the Greatest Newspaper in the world? Let me see if I can clarify myself a little.

What's the problem? The outside, non-racing world doesn't seem to have a problem with the proliferation of blogs; on the contrary, it embraces all of them, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Who embraces them? When you see thousands of dollars a day in advertising on a blog site, then they can be considered embraced. And I don't mean biased propoganda advertising from political action groups etc. Until then..........not so much.

Journalists are constantly discussing how ill informed bloggers are and in fact during the election cycle many were used as complete smear machines and in one case became the number one story on the news channels for a week or more, when the information was picked up by a so called "real news outlet" This was a travesty and was the first time in our history and the history of the Internet that the dominating voice for a week long news cycle came from a story made up out of whole cloth and perpetuated on a blog. In fact, there was absolutely no truth to it, and it was immediately debunked yet it carried on until election day and lives on as I write this..........every blogger in the world was hurt by that, yet most bloggers are singing the praises of that Blog just because it was mentioned on TV for a week. That is a credibility problem not a victory.

The number one blog on the Internet right now is a political blog that is completely and wholly left wing in nature. The number two blog is considered right wing. These places are as far apart in accuracy as two "outlets" can get. I could site examples but that isn't what this post is about.

The same thing happens in all forms of communications. Some are more accurate than others. But this wide open ten minutes to setup a blog thing is also a forum for both ends of the spectrum. There are some that are good, some bad. A blog is no different than a post at PACEADVANTAGE when you think about it. Anyone of us can log on, say anything we want and nobody fact checks it. Of course a daily occurence is when somebody questions an opine and links and articles are posted to back up an assertion. Very much like the blogs do. The problem is Bloggers use other bloggers as sources of information, verification etc in many ways. It feeds off itself.

In Horse racing we see the same thing. There are a few blogs out there that are pretty damn good. I read a few now and then and there are a few that pretty much suck. A bunch in the middle. Some I find interesting, but they don't get updated for weeks at a time. The fact that Paulick and Equidaily are listing Blogs on their sites is a good thing for me. I figure they have done some of the work for me. If it's on Equidaily or Paulick, it must have done something to earn that spot.

Bottom line is, there are only so many hours in the day, and filtering the noise is a tough. Back in the "good ole days" i.e. non digital days anybody could start a magazine. No problem. There was a giant filter that did all the work of eliminating the bad ones. It was called advertising and it paid the freight for the good magazines and decent papers. Now anybody can start their own magazine (blog) and it is free to publish. Therefore no filter. More noise and less credibility is the obvious by-product. We have crossed a threshold. How do we cull it down now? There is a new 18 yr old out there every ten minutes that thinks he knows better and logging on to fire up his Blog. The noise is now becoming a detriment.

Example: I can think of two or three people on this board who have Racing Blogs. They are pretty good. But I can think of five other people on this board that I think should have a Blog and I would love to read their Blogs. In fact a few of them I might even pay to read on a yearly basis when it comes to Horse Racing. There are some pretty sharp guys when it comes to racing, floating around this board. Some maybe too busy for a Blog. Some maybe without the energy anymore. But what incentive do they have to write a Blog ? I would think not much considering that they would be lumped together with the background noise. I think the over proliferation of Blogs is now keeping people out of it. It deters people.

I can tell you this also. These same guys/gals don't post much. I know they read the board. I can see it when I log in. Every once in a while they jump in a thread. But not often. There is a lot of noise in the threads also............some of it I admit to being the source of. :lol:

Blogs are just about done when it comes to credibility. No matter the subject. They have run their course. Unless something drastic happens.

rastajenk
01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
I think you and I agree on much, except for the final analysis.

Indulto
01-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Let's face it, he has a blog …
… because there is no longer a place for him in the papers and I have often commented on how bitter he often seems over this. He also has used his blog quite irresponsibly in the past, posting what seem to be news stories, but that have had no fact checking, as an editor would demand on a "real" publication. When proven wrong, he will not print retractions. He will also not allow any dissenting opinions to be posted in his comments section. I know as I have tried on several occasions.

There are some wonderful blogs out there. …
… these two blow Mr. Moran's work away in terms of quality and passion. Something the game we all enjoy needs more of. There's enough complaining out there already.

Sometimes I feel sorry for people like Mr. Moran when I think about how the world they knew and thought they would always be a part of gets wiped away and replaced with something they really will never get a full grip on. But then I recall his nastiness and bitterness and think it couldn't have happened to a better guy.Poor Paul Moran. NOT!

Why am I convinced that every blogger, who was offended by HIS/HER INTERPRETATION OF what Moran wrote in his latest piece, would exchange audiences with him in a New York minute? Before I address the bloggers, however, I’d like to point out that OA’s criticisms stem not so much from that Moran piece in question, but from what OA considers his anti-NYRA bias, for which OA has made a credible case on other occasions as well.

It is certainly true that Moran is not popular among all NYRA employees after his Newsday articles supporting a for-profit model, and referring to a current high-ranking NYRA executive as “incompetent.” These occurred during the franchise renewal process before he retired, and when he was still accountable to an editor. Despite that, it appears that he still enjoys the respect of some current and former NYRA employees at various levels.

OA is correct that comments on Moran’s blog require approval and I have read that submittals by others were not accepted as well. However, a subset of his blog entries are also published on the HRI blog site where comments are not reviewed ahead of time, and where Moran detractors frequently gratify themselves with gratuitous insults. That has not deterred him from continuing to provide content there.

OA’s speculation as to Moran’s motivation for what he writes and for his now familiar cynical outlook may well be accurate, but is it an opinion or a fact-checked conclusion?

Getting back to bloggers, I think a few people have tried something on and decided it fit them. Let’s take a look at what seem to be the most provocative statements:... But let us not confuse blogging, which requires on ownership of a computer and spare time, with a new wave.

While there is journalism on the Internet, the blog – an awful word in its own right – in its pure form is not the “new media.” It is certainly an adjunct, providing platforms and voice to those who are passionate about any number of things, including racing and a forum for debate but certainly fails to pass the litmus test of credibility and authority. It has been embraced by almost all mainstream newspapers as a vehicle to retain reader involvement but has generally failed to translate into a meaningful commodity in terms of monetary value.

… More typically, the racing blog is a solitary effort of a person whose income is derived from real-world employment but who is passionate about the sport and perhaps a specific area – history, betting, politics or combination of the sport’s many facets. The trade publications, including the Daily Racing Form, have embraced the format largely in the manner of mainstream publications, but of the old-school racing writers who publish such sites, only Maryjean Wall, a fixture at the Lexington Herald-Leader for decades, maintains a blog in the pure sense. Others – including the one you are reading – depart sharply from the pure form.

A successful personal blog is one that elicits reaction from readers and becomes almost participatory. While the authors of scores of racing blogs – many well done and thoughtfully written -- have successfully broadened the dialogue, they have contributed little to either the journalism or literature of racing. Before that happens, another step or two in the evolutionary process will be required that will determine its place in a changing landscape. At the moment, so called “citizen journalists” are essentially hobbyists. …Ironically, even Ms. Wall who Moran had positive words for was unhappy with his remarks.
… Unfortunately, respect for blogs took a dissing when turf writer Paul Moran dismissed them recently as flotsam. This not only was cranky; it was short-sighted. The blogosphere is no different from professional turf writing in its range of quality: the quality spans a wide continuum. The point Moran missed is that even among the blogs, quality is evolving the more that bloggers participate in this genre. Internet readers recognize this and bookmark the blogs they appreciate reading. …Clearly Moran made some generalizations about blogs and bloggers which apply to some but not to all. Mainly he suggests that blogs are not the final step in the transition of revenue-generating sources of well-written, journalistically sound news and opinions from print to digital media. It seems reasonable to me to assume that most existing bloggers will not capture a wide enough audience to attract funding, and that those who do will have acquired the skills necessary to set them apart.

I discovered Moran’s Newsday columns when I first started surfing the net and, like the many that preceded me, I soon became a fan of the man’s unique style of expression and hard-hitting, pull-no-punches approach. I don’t agree with everything he writes, but for me, nobody says it better; and that includes this and another recent blog entry of his which has also attracted so much attention lately.
… Mr. Moran will tell you what he has accomplished on his blog. On the left side is a long list of his accomplishments and achievements. Impressive, but for an individual who has long been synonymous with racing, one does not need to tout accomplishment's in order to prove that their word and opinion is far better then yours or mine. Many self-proclaimed experts will do this on their blog, and I'm, not impressed. …SB,
Most who have ever won any honors realize that respect is a two-way street. When one controls the space to acknowledge all those who have seen fit to honor one, one doesn’t rank them by excluding any. The real significance of those credits, however, is that they make readers aware that Moran has long had access to industry insider thinking which he communicated to his readers in a manner, and with accuracy, that was acknowledged and rewarded both by his peers and the industry. Some are willing to give that some weight. Some are even impressed.

If you enjoy what you’re doing with your blog, you have probably received positive feedback from multiple readers. Why allow Moran’s generalizations -- which were not aimed at you specifically – to devalue your experience?

I personally think blogs are great because they allow opinions to be freely expressed that would not have been available otherwise. Because racing has so many problems, it’s important that all those who participate be able to voice their concerns. Some blogs are more interactive than others. Ray Paulick’s and John Pricci’s blogs enjoy unfettered, informative, and entertaining exchanges between comment posters from a very wide audience.

Moran does occasionally enable spirited debate on his site as evidenced by the unusually large number of comments in response to this piece of his and others considered controversial. We are better off when gifted writers like Moran provoke our passion and desire to improve.

OTM Al
01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Indulto, you are partially right about my motivations, but not entirely, so I will represent myself on that matter.

Certainly Mr. Moran has a very strong bias. That's fine. If you are a journalist though you need to back it up with facts, something he simply does not do. He is running purely on reputation from days gone by now. This is a problem because when he prints something, he is believed by many because of his perceived reputation. Yes, he has a bigger readership now, but how long that will last is in question.

I could care less if people can bash him at HRI. I'm not talking about insults. I'm talking about dissenting opinion. He does not allow it on his own site. He is right. You are wrong if you disagree. Period.

Clearly my opinion on his personality is opinion. Thus the use of the word "seems" in P1. The nastiness referred to in the final paragraph is clear to anyone who has read his work. I've also had the "pleasure" of seeing the man in a social situation. His reactions there confirmed my opinions. Its up to anyone else out there if they want to believe me or not.

Despite my other feelings about the individual however, I find his demeaning of bloggers arrogant and hypocritical. Arrogant because he clearly ranks himself as better and hypocritical because he has engaged in all the unethical activities that bloggers get pinned with by "real" journalists.

Sorry, but all this piece did was confirm my OPINION that he is an angry old man with an agenda that has nothing to do with the improvement of racing.

Horsefan
01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I cannot testify to Mr. Moran's experience but I can his judgement. For him and Pricci to put their actual photos on their blogs is like an advertisement to "come have fun at the races with the cryptkeepers" Yeah!!! Who's ready to have some fun?

Indulto
01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Indulto, you are partially right about my motivations, but not entirely, so I will represent myself on that matter.

Certainly Mr. Moran has a very strong bias. That's fine. If you are a journalist though you need to back it up with facts, something he simply does not do. He is running purely on reputation from days gone by now. This is a problem because when he prints something, he is believed by many because of his perceived reputation. Yes, he has a bigger readership now, but how long that will last is in question.

I could care less if people can bash him at HRI. I'm not talking about insults. I'm talking about dissenting opinion. He does not allow it on his own site. He is right. You are wrong if you disagree. Period.

Clearly my opinion on his personality is opinion. Thus the use of the word "seems" in P1. The nastiness referred to in the final paragraph is clear to anyone who has read his work. I've also had the "pleasure" of seeing the man in a social situation. His reactions there confirmed my opinions. Its up to anyone else out there if they want to believe me or not.

Despite my other feelings about the individual however, I find his demeaning of bloggers arrogant and hypocritical. Arrogant because he clearly ranks himself as better and hypocritical because he has engaged in all the unethical activities that bloggers get pinned with by "real" journalists.

Sorry, but all this piece did was confirm my OPINION that he is an angry old man with an agenda that has nothing to do with the improvement of racing.OA,
I apologize if I misrepresented -- partially or otherwise -- your position regarding Mr. Moran. Clearly you have found additional justification since our first exchange on this subject to impeach him on charges of blogslaughter – his own and others.;) But would you please point out statements of his where he explicitly “ranks himself as better” or claims that his own blog adheres to the journalistic standards whose absence he laments?

I agree with you that it is a better practice to allow unrestricted commentary at blogs, but at least there are outlets still available including this one for angry men of all ages to vent their frustrations without being subjected to those very standards he is allegedly violating.

HF,
Should bloggers be discouraged from displaying photographs of themselves on their sites?

Horsefan
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
No, the comment had nothing to do with displaying photos on sites- only with the judgement of displaying a photo that looks like living death. Living death like photos not being good for advertising a sport that inspires fun. Also, based on the other posters comments about Mr. Moran - which I realize are opinions- the photo in question may reveal more about him. Morose? Maybe? I don't know, but it sure looks that way. Couple that with some of the stuff he's written and I am very turned off to Paul Moran. And that is my opinion, not a fact.

And by the way, any bloggers who are cute guys should put their photos front and center on those blogs!!!

toetoe
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Al,

You are too kind, as usual, in saying Mr. Moran was once a fine writer. :) .

PA,

I looked up horse racing on thesaurus.com. Alas, no mention of Paul Moran. :( .

OTM Al
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
OA,
I apologize if I misrepresented -- partially or otherwise -- your position regarding Mr. Moran. Clearly you have found additional justification since our first exchange on this subject to impeach him on charges of blogslaughter – his own and others.;) But would you please point out statements of his where he explicitly “ranks himself as better” or claims that his own blog adheres to the journalistic standards whose absence he laments?

I agree with you that it is a better practice to allow unrestricted commentary at blogs, but at least there are outlets still available including this one for angry men of all ages to vent their frustrations without being subjected to those very standards he is allegedly violating.

P2 "Forty-three pieces were submitted and several would have been worthy winners in a competition ultimately won by Vinnie Perrone, former racing writer at the Washington Post for a skillfully crafted piece that appeared in Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred. If any of this material was born in the “new media” is was not apparent."

A not so subtle dig

P4 "The common thread is that the Eclipse winners, and the contenders, are old-media figures no longer working for old-media enterprises. They are first writers whose credentials predate the Internet, people whose perspective spans decades marked by voluminous bodies of work."

ie Old Media is worthy, even the best of the new is not

P7 "While there is journalism on the Internet, the blog – an awful word in its own right – in its pure form is not the “new media.” It is certainly an adjunct, providing platforms and voice to those who are passionate about any number of things, including racing and a forum for debate but certainly fails to pass the litmus test of credibility and authority"

So blogging is even a step below the new media, which we have already shown is not worth of award. He doesn't seem to own up to the fact the he himself is writing on a blog. Therefore, A) He is admitting that his work does not "pass the litmus test of credibility and authority" or B) he isn't really a blogger, but is part of the old media, which as we have seen, ranks 2 steps above bloggers.

P10 "While the authors of scores of racing blogs – many well done and thoughtfully written -- have successfully broadened the dialogue, they have contributed little to either the journalism or literature of racing. Before that happens, another step or two in the evolutionary process will be required that will determine its place in a changing landscape. At the moment, so called “citizen journalists” are essentially hobbyists."

Here we come down to it. They are not writers, they are hobbyists, a step or two down in the evolutionary process. I don't think he is refering to himself here. BTW, would you have considered Albert Einstein a hobbyist during the time his day job was in the patent office? Not saying anyone has shown that level of brilliance, just saying talent can come from all walks of life.

Second to last P (as I tire of counting) "Nothing currently in racing’s digital space can possibly fill this void and there is no new breed."

Well, I guess the theory of evolution has been tossed already. No new breed of the Old Media and nothing out there that can replace them. Gloom and doom and bitterness.

Does he come out and brazenly say what you ask? No. But it is very clear to me that he looks down on bloggers, that he himself is Old Media, and thus above it all, and because of this he does adhere to standards.

I beg to disagree.

Indulto
01-15-2009, 06:09 PM
P2 "Forty-three pieces were submitted and several would have been worthy winners in a competition ultimately won by Vinnie Perrone, former racing writer at the Washington Post for a skillfully crafted piece that appeared in Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred. If any of this material was born in the “new media” is was not apparent."

A not so subtle dig

P4 "The common thread is that the Eclipse winners, and the contenders, are old-media figures no longer working for old-media enterprises. They are first writers whose credentials predate the Internet, people whose perspective spans decades marked by voluminous bodies of work."

ie Old Media is worthy, even the best of the new is not

P7 "While there is journalism on the Internet, the blog – an awful word in its own right – in its pure form is not the “new media.” It is certainly an adjunct, providing platforms and voice to those who are passionate about any number of things, including racing and a forum for debate but certainly fails to pass the litmus test of credibility and authority"

So blogging is even a step below the new media, which we have already shown is not worth of award. He doesn't seem to own up to the fact the he himself is writing on a blog. Therefore, A) He is admitting that his work does not "pass the litmus test of credibility and authority" or B) he isn't really a blogger, but is part of the old media, which as we have seen, ranks 2 steps above bloggers.

P10 "While the authors of scores of racing blogs – many well done and thoughtfully written -- have successfully broadened the dialogue, they have contributed little to either the journalism or literature of racing. Before that happens, another step or two in the evolutionary process will be required that will determine its place in a changing landscape. At the moment, so called “citizen journalists” are essentially hobbyists."

Here we come down to it. They are not writers, they are hobbyists, a step or two down in the evolutionary process. I don't think he is refering to himself here. BTW, would you have considered Albert Einstein a hobbyist during the time his day job was in the patent office? Not saying anyone has shown that level of brilliance, just saying talent can come from all walks of life.

Second to last P (as I tire of counting) "Nothing currently in racing’s digital space can possibly fill this void and there is no new breed."

Well, I guess the theory of evolution has been tossed already. No new breed of the Old Media and nothing out there that can replace them. Gloom and doom and bitterness.

Does he come out and brazenly say what you ask? No. But it is very clear to me that he looks down on bloggers, that he himself is Old Media, and thus above it all, and because of this he does adhere to standards.

I beg to disagree.OA,
Clearly all those references are open to interpretation, and a case could be made for mine, though perhaps not as readily as yours which is -- and deservedly so -- as cynical as Moran's would likely be.;)

tt,
Trying to go toe-to-toe with your toeness in two threads today would be too tiring and a violation of my own TOS.:jump:

toetoe
01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I am indulted, suh. :mad: ... ;)

BUD
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
No, the comment had nothing to do with displaying photos on sites- only with the judgement of displaying a photo that looks like living death. Living death like photos not being good for advertising a sport that inspires fun. Also, based on the other posters comments about Mr. Moran - which I realize are opinions- the photo in question may reveal more about him. Morose? Maybe? I don't know, but it sure looks that way. Couple that with some of the stuff he's written and I am very turned off to Paul Moran. And that is my opinion, not a fact.

And by the way, any bloggers who are cute guys should put their photos front and center on those blogs!!!

Cracking up---LMAO----I was wondering who does not know you are a lady----? 2 weeks ago I woulda been scratching my head in a huh?:eek:

BTW----Blogs with the new tech will morph quickly into something else---Whomever stays on target and knows the product they are discussing and add some value will succeed...Soon blogs will have the ability to go to events live---Add video--Not just You Tube video--Live Video------The Athlete the Association and the fan and anti fan All have this tool---

Lets say I am a jockey---I can take you thru my morning--My rides and some of my prep work-----The Association like NYRA----is Bringing us T&T they are trying very hard so far---Hats off to them for the effort----

Pedigree blogs can keep up us to date on the happenings----Its endless----And there is so much more----This is not even scratching the skin...

JustRalph
01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
BTW----Blogs with the new tech will morph quickly into something else---Whomever stays on target and knows the product they are discussing and add some value will succeed...Soon blogs will have the ability to go to events live---Add video--Not just You Tube video--Live Video------The Athlete the Association and the fan and anti fan All have this tool---

You can already do this. It is being done already. Anybody with a cell phone can do it right now............

That would be very interesting, coupled with a blog. Live video or even archived video, as long as it went along with the Blog subjects etc...........

toetoe
01-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Mr. Moran fails to recognize that newspapers are neither credible nor authoritative, necessarily. Nor do the editorial stylings of Joe Hirsch or Jim Murray, or any of the "talent" in the Los Angeles Times make any great argument that the medium SHOULD be saved.

Indulto sees something that is not there --- OTM Al's cynicism. He is cynicism-challenged. Gawd, I wish I were as cynical, which is to say not at all. I can dream, wot ? :jump:

BUD
01-15-2009, 08:21 PM
You can already do this. It is being done already. Anybody with a cell phone can do it right now............

That would be very interesting, coupled with a blog. Live video or even archived video, as long as it went along with the Blog subjects etc...........

Hey Ralph---

We Must give you an Avatar Eclipse Award--- Gotto love your creativity!:)

I can't wait for the Blogs to take us into the source--Live like we are there....No reason it has not been done ...At least in racing---Yes Gaming----But at other times----No reason----

Man I wish I was Healthy---I have so many Ideas.... I hope someone does them well----

Horsefan
01-16-2009, 08:17 PM
. . . I have so many ideas, I hope that someone does them well . . .

Hey Bud, I know the feeling. In this age of multi tasking my brain races as I go through the day, I jot down ideas quickly on a piece of paper as they come to me- stick them in a notebook so that I don't lose them forever. I cannot wait for the day with more close ups and one on one stories about the horse's and their owners. You know how you said they are like family? I want to know more about them, especially the horses!!!

After I posted my thoughts on Morose Moran using his funeral parlor pic on his column, I started feeling bad, started feeling like I should have left his personal appearance out of it. Then I thought about it some more, questioned why he couldn't at least break a warm smile (or even a lil' Mona Moran Lisa smile!!!), and I am right back to my original opinion. Which was probably affected by his links on his site to a public racing forum, which will remain nameless (out of respect to the awesome PACE), that has the most anti-racing vigilante group on the whole Internet. Have to question a seasoned racetrack reporter who links with those who openly loathe horse racing under the guise of "helping" it.

The bloggers have done an admirable job of banding together in their "alliance". They've taken over where the mainstream media slacks. I hope that they eventually move into a little more reporting on their own, with their own original interviews and inside info. Spread out all over the country and with different contacts they can really add to the sport. I especially would like to have journalists of any type put faces and stories on the people of horse racing. I am sick of the industry and it's good people being dragged through the mud.

turfnsport
01-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I cannot testify to Mr. Moran's experience but I can his judgement. For him and Pricci to put their actual photos on their blogs is like an advertisement to "come have fun at the races with the cryptkeepers" Yeah!!! Who's ready to have some fun?

Anybody have the phone number for Hair Club for Men?